Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Any chance GB are allied with France or Portugal? You could occupy South Georgia and ask for it in the peace from one of them when you conquest on colonies. I was always attacking colonies without trying to get them to be independent first. Just wait for the warscore to tick up and win battles and it was usually good for a good chunk of their land.

You could also declare imperialism on one of Great Britain's colonies in North America if they have any which might be easier to access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

It looks like you have tons of time. You might have to work out your wars carefully if Portugal and Spain are allied but other than that there shouldn't be any major issues.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

GSD posted:

Is there a reason Austria cannot immediately release Aquileia from Gorz? Do you need to have more than a single core to release a province now or something?

Edit: Ah, you presumably need the tag's default capital.

Is it the right culture for Aquileia? That is a requirement.

efbbbbbb

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Bort Bortles posted:

What did you do that looks crazy?!? Custom nation or...?

I will never reveal the Wu Tang secret

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Well I guess Venetian Sea is all I'll be getting on this run

Spain ate Portugal and Aragon, colonized the New World, then fell into a PU with France. Then as I'm finishing beating Super Austria back into a reasonable size Great Britain falls under a PU with them, which France challenges and easily wins. Also Sibir ate Muscovy with some help from Lithuania which is pretty awesome.

Venetian Sea ended up being easy to get with Client States. I thought I was going to have to work up 90% TP in both nodes not counting the provinces I was giving to my client states. However it fired the day after I unpaused before trade had a chance to reset. I did get it "legitimately" as well with my 400 light ships patrolling Alexandria and 50 in Constantinople, losing 2000 ducats a month to force limits. I took all of those nodes, increasing development on Alexandria/Rosetta/Cairo and one other connecting province every time I had the chance. I was still at 75% in both of those nodes with just those provinces, I could have probably done it with 150-200 lights.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

Congrats on cheating

Thanks that means a lot

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

cool and good posted:

I know I saw a screenshot of someone doing a pagan sweden run. It may have been ddrjake or maybe i'm mixing that up with the screenshot i saw of the sunni pope

Yes it was DDRJake and I think he also managed to make a Shamanist Gelre The Emperor by the end of it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

It's especially rough with the Tribes estate. Once you blob up they get a 40% Influence bonus from country size, which added to their base of 10% and 20% from the provinces you need to give them to keep them loyal, means you basically can't ever ask them for anything without firmly putting yourself into disaster territory.

You can ask for manpower because that only costs loyalty. Not being able to raise a host unless you time it against a -influence event does kind of suck. I've started up some test games of Oman and Perm and didn't even really notice the estates (but didn't get far).

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Perm start seems to be completely dependent on Lithuania staying free, is there another way I'm not seeing? I finally got rolling because they did and everything else fell into place. Muscovy didn't ally anyone major and attacked Kazan instead of Novgorod. Lithuania, Novgorod and I barely managed to get a win because we traded forts until I managed to hold them all (thanks 3 siege general from the 100 tradition event). A 30 stack of Muscovy and his vassals were about to start wiping out my stupid AI friends disparate siege stacks. I lost two previous runs winning the war but in a terrible rebel situation from war exhaustion.

Three wars later and Moscow taken but they keep eating up horde land and can still maintain a decent army...

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Man I am loving loving the Threaten War option. It actually makes it possible to sort of leapfrog provinces in order to get close enough to get claims on the province/nation that you actually want to fight. It's nice to not have to fight a pointless war for land you don't really want just to open up a path that lets you get close enough to fabricate a claim on someone.

I had just taken Scandinavian land across the water from Danzig which had been released and eaten by Pommerania quickly. Was planning my strategy for fighting super Austria coming to the defense when... oh it looks like I can just threaten for it because Pomm isn't considering Austria in their strength of alliances. Poland broke that alliance fast.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

I've been playing around in the New World and it's just really frustrating how you can beat the piss out of Spain, Portugal, or England but as soon as you peace out they fart half a dozen colonies right where you were trying to chase them out of.

It would kind of make sense, rather than just grabbing provinces for a higher warscore you should be able to deny them colonial access to a region for a period of time, that'd be cool.

I'm having the opposite problem as Perm. Beat England out of Canada early now I realize even running 6 colonists I might not get everything colonized in time and no one is helping. Hoping my Colonial Nations will pick up the slack with my subsidies.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Whoever said Hindu African Dutch Republic was good for Ideas Guy wasn't joking. Never played a Dutch Republic before, didn't know it was consistent awesome rulers. I got coalitioned by everyone after taking Guangdong but they all bailed out before pulling the trigger :(

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Dibujante posted:

That looks pretty awesome. I pulled off ideas guy with a +RT siberian eastern tech republic with +infinity morale and discipline but it took me 100 more years.

Morale/Disciple is way better than I expected. I was slightly afraid of the Ottomans at their peak but they just melted. The only thing I screwed up was not taking inflation reduction, that cost me a lot of admin.

I really love the changes to colonization. Being able to ignore natives but lose a growth bonus is really good for finishing off all those islands if you want.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Oh man this makes me want to actually try a gimmick run I was thinking of doing a while ago where I'd only take coastal provinces and see if I could wrap around all of Europe/Asia.

I did this a long time ago as Hansa and it was tons of fun (except for doing it before you could take capitals without surrounding them, ugh).

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Tried a few things for From Humble Beginnings (50 point custom nation, get to 2000 development). Sunni Horde starting with a string of provinces from Benin around the Cape to Kilwa is insanely fun with two theaters to fight in and infinite admin power from razing. Up to 900 development in 1540 with all of Sub-Saharan Africa under my belt.

The best part is Hordes can raze their same continent colonies before coring them. Thanks for the 60 Admin/Dip Cape.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

At the very start you won't be able to afford all Cav. So run enough infantry to match the front lines of your rivals, and then as much Cav as you can reasonably afford. Money will be the toughest part.

Admin, for cheaper cores, allowing you to raze/core stuff for free that much sooner.

Agree on Admin, cheaper cores is better than anything else.

If you are having money issues running all cavalry just war more. Always be looting and your problems are solved.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Threaten War is the best thing. My OCD was going to make me war GB, Castile, and Portugal in separate gross 5 year long boring wars to let ticking war score get high enough to take their single province African continent holdings so I could have everything. Instead they just saw I murdered Super Ottomans with their Mega France alliance no problem and they gave them up.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Wiz please add a Jewish religion requirement to First Come, First Serve so its like roleplaying one of the lost tribes the Mormon's believe in.

Link for the non-Americans who don't know about Mormons.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I had the best start to an Oman/Ibadi attempt. Crap ruler dies within the first month and gives me a 15 year old 4/5/5 on the throne, and Najd and Yemen don't bother allying anyone worthwhile.

Then...

I've never seen the Ottomans do so well in 1630. They just got done stomping the entire HRE + Castile to grab the rest of Austrian Hungary. They don't even care about me, just happily eating Russia and Europe without my help. To the east a Yarkand/Pasai/Bengal alliance is beating up Ming and making more dirty Sunni land.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Tahirovic posted:

I think you can still do it during the first shockphase but not 100% sure, will tell you in a couple hours, starting my Kazan run now, should be the easiest way to pick up the Religious WC achievement.

Why Kazan, because hordes? Digging into Europe then their colonies seemed like it would be a pain. I was thinking Austria shutting down the reformation then pushing east would be better.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Node posted:

Ohh. So this is one of those day one no CB war achievements. Those are fun. Thanks.

I assume if you rival them you have a good chance of having a conquer mission pop up if it isn't there at launch.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

One interesting thing about the hordes is you don't get AE with countries who you haven't met yet. Just munching my way around Scandinavia and no one cares. December 1544 is when it reveals which is plenty of time to mash Norway/Sweden/Lith a few times.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I didn't get all the "nerd hordes" stuff until I got into administrative efficiency land. Now I'm only limited by my 18 month coring timer.

I don't think I have the patience for a WC even with how fun Hordes are. I just dismantled the HRE and now I am just flipping back and forth between Austria and the Ottomans trucebreaking which is fine because I instantly get all my points back to bring stability back up.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

deathbagel posted:

I feel like I'm way behind you at this point, but yes, they are a bit silly right now. This is my Kazan game at the moment, I feel like I should have expanded faster. I'm afraid Ming might have made it past the point where they don't need to worry about exploding which means it's going to take a ton of wars to pick them apart... just like Muscovy, who just ate Novogrod right out of the gate.

Ming only spit out 4 minors by the time I got to them which was probably for the best. Weakened them just enough to smooth it over but if there were too many I think coalitions would have been a problem.

Killing Muscovy the instant they attack Novgorod was a key point in my early game I think.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

From my experience you can move from one fort directly to another fort, but I've never checked three in a row.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

2 - No, when you convert them they will go away and it is unlikely you will have enough provinces to keep them happy so giving them a province will just add 10RR to it. Eat the +2.5% tech cost.

3 - Economic if you are going for all the gold in east Africa, which you should. Alternatively take Exploration and colonize Southeast Asia and Africa and you should hit 500 pretty easily. It will also provide a base to take over Malaysia and funnel that trade to your nodes.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Node posted:

It reset itself. My monarch that replaced the crappy one is 100 legitimacy. It took some time for the game to register it, I guess. I'm kinda mad. It took over 40 years for the previous no-legitimacy monarch to die. It was a woman, so I couldn't assign her as a general and suicide her. I guess I should have let that disaster fire like suggested. I'm pretty sure this Jihad run is going to end in failure, even though I'm westernized. It's 1691 and I have 131 provinces. :shrek:

Civil War is one I usually let fire. The events aren't bad and you get 3 stability when it's over. And the pretender could be a badass.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Ithle01 posted:

I just finished a Golden Horde world conquest run in 1790 or something like that. The last one hundred years are just a haze of self-loathing and dogged pursuit of the finish line. I will never do this again. I should have listened to all the people who said not to do this.

Any tips on the last 100? I'm playing about a decade at a time just trucebreaking France and Spain now hoping to inherit their colonial nations but they are both at war with their set right now. Unfortunately Haiti is free (and attacking Kongo) so I've got to deal with that poo poo eventually.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Colonial Nation bit is interesting, I told Holland to cede the Eastern US to me, which was given to my colonial nation. They got revolts and I wasnt paying attention so New Holland released, as my colonial nation. So now I have two east coast CNs who hate each other for having each others cores.

I'm only trucebreaking to try and get colonials from annexing their overlords instead of fighting directly. Spain/France are 1-2 war jobs now. Everything east of Africa is mine except Japan and Ternate. Its either trucebreak party, mop up German minors, or start on GB. Guess I should build a fleet...

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

In my opinion Diplo because you should have 1749 Dip saved and can get to the 6th idea for province war score cost and your 25% core reduction NI near instantly. Taking an admin idea first slows down getting to both 25% reductions. Humanist is third.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

double nine posted:

Is there a good way to farm legitimacy? I've got a civil war that's stopped 6% from triggering and as long as I stay under 10% overextension I'm "safe" but god help me if anything goes wrong. And I'm currently at 35 legitimacy thanks to the death of my heirless ruler and a new guy getting in.

The best way to farm legitimacy is let Civil War fire and get lots of events then get 3 stability at the end. Or kill your ruler with a strong heir.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Transmetropolitan posted:

My 5th try as Manchu ended up in ruins because Ming got the unite China mission. :saddowns:

Aaaaagh. Ming didn't implode once in every one of these tries. I never manage to stackwipe them, even going with all my forcelimit full cav and tech advantage

It might be better to have a row of mercs instead of cav when fighting a unified Ming. Bait them into your land and run them out of manpower while you pay 0 for reinforcements.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

You can declare war on an elector and Austria can still be peaced out separately. You sit on the original war, occupying elector's capitals and declare war on another elector drawing in Austria again. Due to alliances it usually only takes 2-3 declarations to end up at war with all of the elector's simultaneously then you occupy their capitals and dissolve the HRE. Zero AE required.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Wilekat posted:

So I'm not entirely sure what to do here.

I can't fight Otto directly right now, so I figure I should vassalise Hejaz, feed them Haasa and skirt East through Arabia to use Hormuz as a platform into Persia/India. Saying that, I... am not sure I'm going to be able to deal with an Ottoman/Muscovy powerbloc. Is there anything I can do about this?

Whenever you feel comfortable attacking the Ottomans declare on Tunis and separate peace Ottomans to break alliance with Muscovy only. 6 years later do your real war.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Doing the Saxony achievement and decided to fire the league war while colonizing. Barely win. Electors decide to make two province Brunswick, who was part of the Catholic League, Emperor. No respect.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Did someone say ugly name placement?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

deathbagel posted:

Also I need to finish my cheezed Austria run soon so I can get the WC achievement before the expansion hits. They might make my save incompatible. I have 50 vassals and it's only around 1500 so it won't be difficult. Yes, I did take advantage of the Imperial Authority bug.

I had no idea that exists, but thanks, after 1400 hours I finished a WC/One Faith and figured out how PU mechanics worked too.

One Faith with my colonial nations was so annoying. When they weren't going bankrupt after building top level forts the game was handing them patchwork provinces they couldn't core because it randomly selected which of multiple La Platas it should hand it over to. They would never convert something they couldn't core so I just released and murdered them to make one beautiful region. Guess I should have spent the time manually assigning them through that terrible UI with 100 vassals in it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Mandalay posted:

I was Portugal, leading the war, called in my ally France. There was only one opposing party, Brittany. Brittany was occupied 2/3 by me, 1/3 by France. When it was 2/3 occupied by me, the game let me pick vassalization by me as an option. But when France won its siege of the capital, the game wouldn't let me be the liege to its vassal--only France. Odd.

Only the capital occupier can take vassalization in peace, similar to taking provinces. Sucks when your ally has interest in the capital province and doesn't hand it over to you. Its important to rush that province so you own the siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

It will help a lot in blitzing opponents with mothballed forts you can't quite get to before they get a tick or two. Waiting around for a breach on a 300 strong fort you could just storm is really annoying.

• Locked thread