Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Palleon posted:

I am really happy to see that changelog, especially in regard to diplomacy. I'd kind of like to see trust in the 60-75 range decrease the odds of rivaling even if it's not eliminated since getting trust up that high takes so long (unless it already works that way), but a really needed and appreciated change.

One thing I would find to be really interesting: the ability to see what countries an AI *can* rival, so you know if you're even on the list, or if a potential ally is going to come up in the future.

Any trust above 50 already reduces chance of rivaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

Surprised to not hear how they're going to nerf the poo poo out of razing, if nothing else changes then this is actually a big buff to hordes because of the estates changes.

Maybe it will just become straight up impossible to not be forced to submit to the Hordes if you get too big without reforming.

There will be another dev diary on 1.15 next week, as I said.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

Will estates ignoring autonomy count even for autonomy floors like distant overseas, hordes & celestial empire?

also please don't nerf razing it's so fun :sigh:

Yes, but you can't have estates in distant overseas or celestial empire.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
RNWs do not lack for provinces. People just think they do because the landmasses are more spread out than original new world, but original new world is just as much water.

That said, yes we need more large continents.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Internal stability as limiter does not work, really. If it's effective enough to be a serious limiter for an experienced player, players will utterly despise it and complain until it's neutered. External limiters and time based penalties work much, much better.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
50 year slower spread for Africa only applies to an inferior that hasn't had any contact with Europe, coastal states will get spread long before that.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MagnumOpus posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm very interested in this from a game design POV. What makes the one disturb experienced players while the other is okay?

The gist of it is how players perceive agency and consequense. The player views their country as an extension of themselves, so if something is wrong with that 'self', it is considered unfair unless the player did something to 'deserve' it. Gloriously conquering all their neighbours and getting massive unrest at home as a result is thus perceived highly negatively, as though the game is telling them that they're wrong for winning.

External limiters, on the other hand, are viewed very differently. The player doesn't have to have screwed up to be invaded and conquered by an AI, because the AI is viewed as having its own agency and motives outside of the player's choices. Time limiters, while often muttered about, are viewed as simply part of the great impartial game rules - so long as everyone has to play by them, they're at least tolerable.

None of these are hard rules mind you: There are people who are OK with internal punishments for success and others who don't think the AI should be allowed to pick on them unless they've done something to deserve it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

Yeah but why?

Because it was the part of the world most isolated from Europe.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't know what you guys are talking about, the Kongo region is lots of fun in my version. :confused:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Odobenidae posted:

Yeah I'm sure the AI (and especially the Ottomans, being a lucky nation) has some sort of hidden diplomatic advantage with these sort of things. The good news is that they can't integrate them unless they get within coring distance, just make sure that they don't reach the caspian sea.

No, they do not.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tahirovic posted:

I am pretty sure your ruler's Diplomatic skill adds to your diplomatic reputation.

It doesn't.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

You can also use loans to prevent AI allies from starting wars where they're banking on you doing the heavy lifting. They use the same logic that applies to AIs to estimate if you'll answer the call to arms, so if you just sit on 4-5 loans indefinitely, they will never call you into offensive wars.

Nah, AI uses different logic for players on CTAs and loans for this very reason.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

For Serial? I mean I know it's anecdotal, but I could swear that the AI will only call you if you don't have loans. Does the AI actually play by the rules that apply to the player, where favor must be accumulated?

Sidebar: I don't really expect you to answer, since it would only make it easier for us to exploit the AI, but I really am curious.

The AI uses a set of secret rules to determine if the player is just taking out loans on a lark or is actually in trouble. They will remain secret for the above mentioned reason.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can call our overseas mechanic many things. 'Elegant' is not one of them. It's a clunky legacy mechanic.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
It works, and thus far we haven't come up with something better to replace it with, but when we do its days are numbered.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

My worry about something like that is that the game already runs like rear end, especially as you go on. Any new and incredibly complex system like that is just gonna make it worse.

I kinda wish they'd just spend the next 6 months or whatever doing nothing but optimizing and integrating old features more, maybe just doing a little res publica-esque DLC to break it up if they get too bored. There are all sorts of huge things the game could do with, but when it's sort of hard to even play the game past a certain date, I don't think they're so pressing.

Our performance tests (on a bunch of different hardware) shows same speeds or better than pre-AOW and we optimize almost every patch, what exactly are you running the game on?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

I have an i7 3770 (I know it's fairly old but it's still an i7 right? :(). It's alright for the first couple of hundred years, but after the mid 17th century things start chugging like crazy whenever there's a month transition, to the point that I've scarcely even seen the late-game content 'cause I just get fed up and stop playing. I didn't think I was unique in this either, I've seen a lot of other people talking about it?

Strange, performance usually improves lategame due to fewer countries. Playing any mods?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

Just graphical mods. I do tend to whiz all about the map since I usually play trade empires, maybe that exacerbates it? When I'm playing in a more localized area I don't notice performance so much.

is there any advice for hardware that works well? Will an SSD help a lot or is it really just the processor that's important?

Try disabling the mods, I doubt it'll matter but worth trying. Then post in bug reports (or here) with a save where you have slowdown, and if disabling mods helped, which mods it was. We can compare monthly tick to start of game and try to find cause (likely memory access, tends to be the case when you have wildly illogical performance differences between comparable hardware).

SSD will only really help with save/load & startup times.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 26, 2016

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bort Bortles posted:

I cant wait for Paradox to add a Custom Nation achievement to have all the female stuff used and the subsequent misogynist outcry on their forums.

I love this idea.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I will be moving on from my position as EU4 project lead (but staying at PDS). I posted a thread about it on the EU4 forums if you're interested in the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Node posted:

I swear I have witnessed the AI flat out ignoring the zone of control mechanic and it pisses me off.

No. You misunderstood whatever the situation was, which isn't hard to do considering how complec ZoCs are.

• Locked thread