Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's no new DLC notice. I now have everything except the e-books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fermun posted:

Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\save games\

You can also share some screenshots and we could figure it out, click your country shield in the top left then open the Stability and Expansion tab and get a screenshot of that as well as zoom out until your entire country fits on the screen, in political mapmode (shortcut W), and take a screenshot of that.

To take a screenshot hit F11. They're saved in a screenshots folder next to your saved games.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sokrateez posted:

So I bought this on release day and played about 80 hours before putting it down for a later date. I recall playing a game as Spain from 1444 to the 1700s and building a colonial empire, and playing Bavaria to around the thirty years war. Today I decided to pick up the major dlcs (except for common sense) and get back into EU. I was wondering if I could get a primer on all the changes since release, and maybe an interesting nation to play for my refresher game. For reference I have ~500 hours in CK2 and had a few hundred in EU3, so I'm no stranger to challenge and want to avoid playing England/Spain/France for the thousandth time.

There have been a whole lot of changes, via six expansion packs. Wiz became project lead and not incidentally, the three most recent expansion packs are the best, though there aren't any bad ones. New features include new mechanics for North, Central, and South American natives, autonomous colonial nations, a bunch of changes to trade, development levels replacing province base tax, lots of exploration changes, forts that block movement, a decent 30 Years' War, a custom nation builder...

I don't think it's entirely necessary to spend $10 on CS. The free features are very good while the paid features are definitely nice but none is very important. Some parts such as Karma just seem dumb for now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jastiger posted:

As Poland, what is the benefit of moving the capital to Warsaw? Is there any?

Mainly historical flavor. It does however give Warsaw some extra tax and manpower.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Aww, even with American Dream the USA 1776 scenario is a big ol' mess. The war of independence is a pushover because even if you lose you're still an independent USA, but practically all North American provinces are garbage and you start with no buildings besides 3 forts, so your economic and army support situation is hopeless. I'm amusing myself by conquering natives while the American Dream events go off, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to get the resources to be a real power. :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Last Emperor posted:

We know a bit like Revancishm and stuff right?

And internal politics! Hopefully done in a more interesting way than Common Sense's parliaments.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm happy to see "Concede Colonial Area" in there, that will be a nice change. I was hoping colonial wars might work like they did in Vicky, because there's still no options for limited war between two great powers.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BCR posted:

Used a lot for coring and getting buildings made. Pretty much everything west of the Urals had at least three buildings in each area with a manufactories and stuff thrown on.

Buildings don't cost monarch points any more, do they?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Finished up my silly 1776-1821 USA game. You can only really win the war with a lot of mercenaries, and all the land in North America is total poo poo (3 development everywhere) but it's pretty much your continent once you win. It's easy to overrun all the natives to get the center of the continent, and then i was able to colonize all the way to Oregon pretty easily. imperialist wars versus neighbors took care of the rest, and I grabbed a bunch of African provinces (even though I'd banned slavery) and some of the Caribbean. I did manage to hit my goal of becoming an official Empire by the end, with total development over 1000. The little dots inside america are Cree, Cherokee, and Spanish Louisiana (couldn't get enough warscore vs Spain.)

Also amusing: the Thirteen Colonies formed in British Florida and got free. After I jumped them they fled to a couple random provinces in La Plata, still the Thirteen Colonies forevermore.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm doing a run for "Sweden is not overpowered!" where you need to capture the whole Baltic coast. It's 1484 now, I've eaten most of Scandinavia and have the best navy in the Baltic:

That's Pommerania on Jutland, taking my rightful Danish provinces. The Germans are one problem: it's been really hard to take coastal HRE provinces because emperor Bohemia and a bunch of minors throw huge stacks at me. I'm BFF with Poland but they've been declaring unwinnable wars and losing territory. The other problem is that Muscovy is steamrolling big time and will probably head to the Baltic pretty soon, and I'm not sure how to deal with the doomstacks they can manage. I took Innovative as first idea group, maybe military something would have been better. So the question is how do I expand into the HRE, and how do I deal with Russia's rise? I wanted to use what remains of Novgorod as a buffer state but they hate me too...

This is the nth game where I've seen Burgundy and England taking over France, too. Weird.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Shayu posted:

I played USA back before El Dorado before the achievement. You got like 20 generals and are forced to pick and choose your favorite American generals (dismissed George Washington). I don't know if it has been improved but back then the AI was seemingly worse than it is now and I won without a single battle with the British.

I went with Benedict Arnold as my only general, he did a great job for a couple decades. :v: Overall the game does a terrible job with the revolutionary war – British don't occupy your cities, the naval front doesn't exist because of British doomfleets, and you can't really "lose" the war at all, though I found it fun to occupy enough of Canada to make the British release Scotland. Fun rampaging all over the continent though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm eating Muscovy but to expand beyond that I still have to take on the inter-allied network of Lithuania, Poland, Pommerania, and HRE Austria. I have scrub-tier allies Brunswick, Bohemia, and Hungary, and vassal Perm. With a couple more wars I'll have force limit >100 but even that isn't enough. Current idea groups are Innovative, Offensive, and Trade - what should I get next, Quantity or Humanist (to fix my religious unity; I'm reformed but have only a few reformed provinces)?

Also the Offensive+Innovative policy gives +10% siege ability (= 10% shorter sieges) and +1 leader siege. Yikes.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

You should get administrative or influence next. If you want a military idea set, grab Defensive or Quality. Sweden benefits more from a Prussia style super soldier approach than a Russian meatgrinder approach. The only worthwhile reason to grab quantity when you're not colonizing is if you are somehow morally opposed to mercenaries. You shouldn't be, mercenaries are great. If all your infantry is mercenaries, sure, it costs a bit more, but manpower ceases to be a problem. And money is trivially easy to generate absurd amounts of when you've reached the point of looking at a 4th idea set.

Yeah that makes sense, I always kind of assumed Influence was only for vassals but I see how it'd be useful for players all the time. I will try the Admin+mercs combo, it has to be better than bleeding off all my manpower in every war.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wiz posted:

Mercs upgrade automatically in 1.14.

:shepspends:

Cossacks will be the best waste of money ever

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Man, I forgot how annoying it is to be DotF. Even though my Sweden always defends its Reformed buddies with some 200K mercenaries, the AI still keeps declaring religious wars and getting stomped.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

deathbagel posted:

Sometimes it's awesome though. In my Pope playthrough, I had it because I needed to convert the Byzantine empire's 30 or so orthodox/sunni provinces quickly and got the call from Lithuania to defend against the Golden Horde, Crimea and Nogai. I had a stack of troops in Wallachia to smash rebels so I just sent them over to help Lithuania and when I looked to see which general I had assigned, it was the Pope himself!

It was a very inspiring moment in Papal history :hist101:

It worked for Julian II, after all!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Redmark posted:

Does anyone know how things like this happen? Muscovy is at war against Novgorod, Pomerania and Scotland, but I don't see any Scottish ships anywhere :crossarms:

Could Novgorod or Pomerania have turned over occupation to the Scots? They might if they don't want those provinces.

Avocados posted:

How important are navies in this game? Outside of war, they seem entirely situational, like for transporting troops or protecting trade. The former isn't applicable if you're land-locked. Then during war, whenever I hop into navy battles, the outcome is always less than 1% warscore. The embargos placed on me during times of war aren't terrible either. I can still win a war at 100% blockading.

What am I missing?

The naval system is mostly a carry-over from EU3 and isn't very interesting right now. Blockading will get you some warscore but yeah, even a huge naval battle isn't worth much. I suspect we'll see navies significantly changed somewhere down the line.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 27, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Done with the Sweden achievement, after a long process of eating Russia and Lithuania. Having a whole sea to myself is nice, but I'm now as strong as all the rest of Europe. Is there anything else that's interesting to do in the 18th century, if I don't feel like leaving Europe?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Palleon posted:

Dismantle the HRE.

Christ that took forever (1815). I had assumed that taking all a country's European land would remove its electorship, but noooope. Had to go to war with Austria again and again, eventually taking on a coalition of all Europe, but it was worth it for Scandinavian dominance. 244 provinces at the end, not bad for sticking to Europe exclusively.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Man, the Kiel canal seems...kinda pointless, really. I thought it might give a trade power bonus or something, but nope, just lets you save a couple weeks sailing around the finger of Denmark.

Constructing the canals should give a worldwide trade power bonus or something similarly cool, if they have to be in the game at all. What I'd really like to see is canals changing the flow of trade nodes, though I don't think that's in the cards for EU4.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gort posted:

Sailing a fleet from Somalia to Tunisia in 1800 is a pain in the rear end. Building the Suez Canal is a giant pain in the rear end.

I sort of appreciate playing a naval power, because it makes the game into much more of a logistics simulator where you're setting up little timetables in your head all the time. I wish it were easier to keep track of when poo poo got to a destination though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

quote:

The fort rework in 1.12 added a much more strategic element to warfare, but with it came some complicated rules and confusion over what exactly forts were and were not allowed to block. To simplify the system and make it more intuitive, we've decided to make the following changes:
- Forts that have been captured by the enemy will now have a Zone of Control and block movement for enemies of controller.
- Forts now have Zone of Control over any country's provinces (but can only flip control back over your own owned provinces) meaning they can block enemy movement through friendly & neutral land. Movement through a country's own provinces cannot be blocked if a fort from that country is protecting those provinces.
- Provinces can now be in the Zone of Control of multiple forts.
- Moving through Zones of Control should now result in fewer unnecessarily long paths.

Thank you thank you thank you

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I wonder how provinces having multiple fort zones of control will work. If a province is in the ZoC of three different forts, does that mean an army in that province can move to any of those three forts? Or do they get stuck there because moving to any of the fort provinces would violate the ZoC of the other two forts? Can forts exert ZoC on another fort province if they are directly adjacent to each other, so even after capturing one fort you still have to capture the one beside it in order to move any farther inland?

I hope it means some flexibility when sieging -- you shouldn't be able to move your stacks arbitrarily but I always find that recombining my siege stacks requires some arbitrary weird move around hostile and neutral territory, if you can get them back together at all before the enemy doomstack arrives!! :argh: Not that I am bitter.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I was aggravated to learn, in my USA game, that you can't do the search for seven cities if your capital is in the New World. Also goddamn those borders

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's so great about Defensive, to make it better than any other mil idea group? It always seemed kind of situational to me.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Naval seems focused on just naval combat, which is not at all useful for many nations especially given the way naval combat actually works. It would probably make sense to delete it and have another military idea. Or fix naval combat, but I don't think that's coming soon.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

1596 in my Ayutthaya game. I control lots of SE Asia, the Congo and colonies in Australia and Brazil.

Just westernized, but my tech is still 11/12/12, which is super backward. So when Ming and Lan Xang jumped on Dai Viet again, I got called to arms and they kicked my rear end, taking a province off me and most of Vietnam. Bengal just flipped hostile on me too, and they're allied to Bahmanis and Delhi... all I want to do is tech up in peace, and then fight everyone.

After the discussion above I regret taking Offensive as my first mil idea, but it will work out eventually. This is like a harder version of my Japan game, where I actually have to worry about the home front all the time, even as I expand worldwide.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

1596 in my Ayutthaya game. I control lots of SE Asia, the Congo and colonies in Australia and Brazil.

Just westernized, but my tech is still 11/12/12, which is super backward. So when Ming and Lan Xang jumped on Dai Viet again, I got called to arms and they kicked my rear end, taking a province off me and most of Vietnam. Bengal just flipped hostile on me too, and they're allied to Bahmanis and Delhi... all I want to do is tech up in peace, and then fight everyone.

After the discussion above I regret taking Offensive as my first mil idea, but it will work out eventually. This is like a harder version of my Japan game, where I actually have to worry about the home front all the time, even as I expand worldwide.

I know I ask this a lot, but what idea group should I take? It's 1614 and I have Exploration, Humanist, and Offensive filled out. Still pretty behind in tech, so I was thinking about Innovative, and I'm not blobbing that much but Quantity and Admin would still be nice for more dudes and more mercs. Also Diplomatic could be useful for making more friends?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 9, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How can I make more money as Ayutthaya? I have a decent little empire going in 1672, but wars with Europe are expensive. Here's my budget and military:

As you can see, I don't have a lot of stuff I don't need in the budget, I just don't have enough money. Currently I have 6 loans out. Of the 46 army maintenance, about 40 is for the regular army with the rest for mercs and reinforcement. Diplomatic expenses are subsidies to 4 CNs.

I really need more money to keep my fleets competitive and province buildings upgraded. Since my provinces are crappy Asian ones I figure I should try making more money from trade. I'm not very good at that despite 400 hours played. Of course I moved my trade port to Malacca. One merchant collects there, all the others transfer trade in that direction. But for having so many merchants (from CNs) I'm not making much money. What can I do to optimize trade?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Contingency Plan posted:

What ideas should I pick as Sweden? I pick Admin first because the mercenary bonuses sync well with that country, but what else? I'm going for Sweden is Not Overpowered and it's surprisingly tough, I've had to restart multiple times because Muscovy keeps attacking and ruining my poo poo with their gigantic stacks.

This was my last game, it's really fun. Admin is very good, I also liked:

- Religious, because it's sometimes hard to get a decent CB on neighbors. This is good for smashing Russians and then Germans after you convert to Protestant or Reformed.
- Offensive, the +discipline stacks well with Swedish bonuses. Obviously Quality is a good pickup too.
- Influence, and later Diplomatic, for keeping the HRE less pissed off at you.

In my game, I overwhelmed Novgorod early and then pressed into Muscovy, getting Russian accepted and occupying all the way to the Urals. Good choice for pretty-borders obsessives. You could use Humanist here but it's also good to just convert everyone. I found that I could get really powerful through adventures in Russia and Poland-Lithuania, then settled scores with the Germans (and the Baltic coast) late in the game.

edit: Don't play as a colonizer imo, it doesn't get you much and Sweden isn't in much of a position for it

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Star posted:

Well first of all you are paying more than 12 ducats/month solely in interest and you have an inflation of more than 10 percent. Secondly do you really need to have that many forts maintained? 16 ducats/month in maintenance seems high, unless you either are planning to go to war right now or they are all next to an aggressive neighbor. And lower your army maintenance during peace. And is the port access needed? Every ducat counts and you are wasting two a month on that.

Yeah, should've mentioned I'm fighting France right now. I can eke out a profit if I set army pay to nothing and mothball most of my fleets and forts, but it's still austerity mode until I can get rid of those loans. What's the best way to deal with inflation? Economic and Innovative ideas both help a little bit, but not much.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dibujante posted:

The downside to this is a ton of new tags. Like, as many new tags as Europe currently has tags, probably. It would slow the game down a lot.

I dunno, you could do it with 15 or 20 quasi-historical statelets. I guess Ming would start with the special China government giving them free vassalage over the rest. You could even have a system with HRE-style reforms that cost Chinese Imperial Authority.

e: Though tbh, this basically reimplements CK2 in EU4. We might have to wait a while on that.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 13, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rakthar posted:

Cool fun is some kind of dopamine fueled process just like love is oxytocin and since only borders make the fun receptors fire [citation needed] then estates are going to be bad. You heard it here first. Going in Nature next week.

Paradox, why don't you employ any neuroscientists to improve the efficacy of your products? Call me.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

As England, enforcing a union on my rival, France, gives me no power projection? Kind of odd, but it's not like I need the PP anymore.

It kinda bugs me that grabbing provinces off a rival's colonial nation gives you no PP either.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

snoremac posted:

Is there a clear indicator of how a siege is going? In CKII the morale meter tells the story, but here I can't figure out how a siege is going overall.

The little clock icon with '5' under it means that the siege has 5 progress. Progress starts at 0 and goes up to 14 though usually forts will fall before that happens. The more progress, the higher the chance of the fort surrendering each on siege tick (30 days between ticks, before modifiers). The big '14%' means that there is is a 14% chance of the fort surrendering on the next siege tick.

For lots of details see all the tooltips and http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Sieges

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did today's dev diary get posted yet? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-november-19th-2015.891822/

Colonial goods rework, cultural unions, "prevent nation ruining", and an achievement browser. The biggest news is that cultural unions aren't tag-based anymore; they require Empire rank now.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 20, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm sort of going to miss the weird mechanics of 1.13 protectorates. You'd race with other powers to get protectorates over small states in Asia and the Americas, steal a bunch of provinces off them, and either they'd westernize (and get free) or they'd uselessly sit there all game. Mainly this was annoying when the protectorate's capital was a really good province that you couldn't steal.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It kind of sucked for my Ayutthaya that once you westernize, Ming is no longer a valid rival. They're still my main military concern - beating the Europeans is comparatively easy!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I agree that Art of War is the first expansion to pick up, but note that the relevant map changes were made available for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Does anyone know if there's any special modifiers or such for the only Gothic cultured nation in the game (Theodoro)?

Just their national ideas. There's nothing special like Prussia gets.

• Locked thread