Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

For some reason I read that in my head as "PayPal Supremacy".

I just picked up the game again and am playing Ethiopia. I'm fairly noobish at all this but I allied with Qara Qoyunlu when mamluks were pushing their poo poo in, and basically did ping pong guerilla wars with their sizeable army advantage leading to a successful defensive victory, and was owed favors. It was fun watching the mamluks run back and forth. Afterward though the Qara AI has generally been fairly useless in wars and they're a bunch of cowards... though I guess in the last war when they peaced out they distracted the Ottomans long enough for me to get a favorable peace deal.

So anyhow, so far it's 1531. Allied with Qara, Vassalized Funj because I ate up my only previous sources of marriage foolishly. I've gone Religious and Defensive (still filling that out), and I've read the third one that's good is maybe Exploration, and try to colonize the rest of Africa and maybe beyond.. I guess my strat is to try to take alexandria, fort the gently caress out of the north, and hope to make the Ottoman invasion completely unbearable for them. You can tell I tried to make a mad land grab dash towards Alexandria. Still haven't embraced renaissance. I'm not really familiar with these DLCs I got on sale:
- Africa lands seem pretty crap development wise for the most part. Should I boost development with monarch points? If so, when and what?
- I'm having manpower issues (probably from the war with the Ottomans, and then defending ally against Persians) so I guess I just need to take my newly gotten gold and throw it at barracks now.
- I have little in the way of a navy. Should I be building up trade ships? I'm assuming trade has been changing a lot for a while.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Also should I grab Defender of the Faith, since I'm the only Coptic left pretty much?

Exploration is good because, as you've noted, much of Africa is crap provinces and you need to get blobbing. Winning that first war with Ottomans is a tough one - you can bleed them on your forts but ultimately you need to win some big battles and the Ottomans won't make that easy for you. So it's really about becoming decently powerful by the time you come to blows with them, which often happens before 1530.

Basically your trade strategy is to monopolize the Zanzibar node (all the gold mines are nice too) and get rich since you can direct a bunch of nodes to Zanzibar, which you'll treat like an end node (cause no one else is there). This means fighting Kilwa early and often so you can get there. You do need a bit of a navy for this part -- sieges will be really slow if you don't have any blockading fleet.

Development is a toughie as Ethiopia because your land isn't just poor, it also has the Arid modifier that makes development more expensive. For developing within Africa (which is super important for getting institutions in a timely fashion) I recommend the farmlands in the Cairo-Alexandria area. You'll want to embrace Egyptian culture and make the regions there into states. But I wouldn't throw a lot of mana into your homeland, it just won't pay off much.

Religiously your mid-game objective is to take the Coptic sites in the Middle East, so you can get all 5 bonuses. Defender of the Faith is a forgotten mechanic that won't do much for you, especially as the only Coptic power worth fighting.

Oh, and the gold-to-manpower conversion is better spent on mercenary infantry. Eventually you can make most infantry mercs, so your guys won't be dying in the front lines at all.

I had to restart a bunch of times to get a good Ethiopia run, ganbatte!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

Thanks! It's not that I want to develop provinces, but it's a new concept for me and being that one spends enough monarch points on techs and stuff, I can't imagine throwing anywhere from 50-70 monarch points to squeak out one development point on one province. Maybe this is a thing that's done by rich Euro nations that aren't struggling to keep up with tech :dontknow:. But yeah, that terrain modifier makes it pretty prohibitive

Thanks also! I took your advice and spent it on mercenary cannon fodder. I withstood another Ottoman war on said ally. Forts are holding up, and the one in Cairo got that Local defense event, so it's at pretty high defense. I was too late to grab Alexandria, though I did create a land wall of grabbed territories from the mamluks, blocking any further access to the west, and also took a chunk out of Hedjaz and blocked them from accessing Mecca, which I plan to take next time the true ends. Allied Venice, since I can't find a good alliance.

Good on you for winning the war (or at least making those Ottomans pay!) Development these days is less for the sake of making a rich province, and more for the sake of seeding institutions. Basically you dump monarch points into a province (and a lot of points, at that) to advance its progress toward the current institution you're working on. See here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Institutions#Effects_of_development

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

Thanks for that, good to know. The institutions are moving pretty slow so I should probably get on that. Yeah, didn't win per se, but being I was helping an ally, I didn't lose any territory or have to pay anything out. Qara is on its way out, being gobbled up by Persia and Ottomans. The plus side is I got revanchism so that helped my manpower recovery. Sometimes losing as an ally is a good thing I guess.

Edit: Yeah that development thing sucks. Just going to take out like 5 loans and hope to pay it off. Rather, I've had some Euros go and pay off my debts, even when I'm not in war. Apparently it helped though:

Loans are a pretty good deal if you can keep interest down and are expanding quickly. I always use them to embrace institutions.

You might want to see who the Ottomans have rivaled and make friends with them. The trust/favors system means you can eventually become reliable allies with someone like Austria or Poland, who can help quite a bit against Ottos.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Playstation 4 posted:

Cool, tell us of your opinions on cheevo sanctity and the "cazhul in may VIJEMOGAMZ'" menace next.

you, uh, don't want the devs fixing exploits?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rapner posted:

Do you put everything in Asia in a trade company? I'm trying to judge if that is the way to go, or keep some out/make states.

If you can get right religion and accepted cultures, I think high-development states overseas make sense. I like to conquer Java and promote Javanese culture so I can have a few rich states there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

metasynthetic posted:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but what are the must have DLCs for this game? I bought this in a bundle a year or two ago which included a few DLCs, but haven't played it and there seem to be a bunch more now. I've played some CK2 and a bunch of Stellaris so I have a little experience with Paradox games if that matters. I have a Fylkirate lategame in CK2 I'd like to eventually upgrade to EU4.

Art of War, Common Sense, and Rights of Man. See this very page for details

• Locked thread