Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

When you make a country a co-belligerent, does it pull in their guarantors as well, or only their allies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had a lot of fun chasing down an AI fleet today. I discovered that the AI is allowed to ignore movement locking for fleets. Brilliant.

Can the AI also ignore fort zone of control when it feels like it?

The AI here landed in Albania or whatever the Ottoman spelling is, then marched its way to Corfu, weaving its way past two other adjacent forts in the process. I thought I had a handle on fort zones of control by now but apparently I'm still missing something, because that seems impossible to me. The AI seemed to further gently caress up after that, considering how once I placed a 32k strong army in the province opposite of corfu, they decided it was a good idea to cross the strait into the mountains to fight the army twice its size.They didn't win.

Later that session Poland took over my siege of Bessarabia despite me not being allied with Poland, and also despite giving them no opportunity to ever take over. God drat can this game be frustrating with its bullshit like that at times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

When you come in from the sea you can move into any province bordering that sea province.

Then maybe they landed in Avlonya which would allow them to reach Corfu by those rules, but I seem to remember them landing in the province to its northwest, meaning this was a multi-province journey through the ZoC. I took this screenshot after they already took one move that seemed wrong and began to take another, I was pretty incredulous.

I'm just glad they decided to repent by suiciding their army shortly after.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Node posted:

Developing provinces was one of the best changes made to this game. Common Sense is such a good expansion.

I kinda don't like how they overhauled that mechanic and then made it super horrible if you didn't get common sense (and made even worse with the addition of institutions), but yeah, modern provencal management is so much better than it used to be.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I forgot to mention it before, but thanks for this by the way. I still probably won't anticipate a bunch of ZoC interactions, but at least I now understand how they were able to march multiple provinces along the coast past all my forts after disembarking.

I wonder what weird interaction they were protecting against when they decided to do it that way instead of a strict and simple ZoC where you can't move between ZoC provinces. I have to imagine that they started with the simple system, found something wrong, and then made it ridiculously complex. I can't imagine anything that would be bad enough to warrant the current super lovely system, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 19, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Suppose I want my Sunni nation to adopt the one true faith, Coptic Christianity. What's the most efficient way to go about it, assuming I already control a Coptic province? Right now I have a rebel stack very slowly converting my land, but it's slow going. Is this the best way? Should I be retaking the rebel land once they convert a province?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

deathbagel posted:

Piss off the Dhimmi, grant all the provinces you can to them. Hire some mercs or bring a small army in to liberate those provinces after the 12 month wait time is over. After you liberate, take the province away from the Dhimmi and each province you do this in will spawn rebels.

Ahh, this is the trick I needed to speed things along. Thank you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They do have smallpox events for native american tribes, as well as the societal collapse events, but they're not particularly harsh and they don't do much with them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Johan has said that they playtested the "create a breach" button at lower mil point costs, but people used it too often for their tastes even when it was at 25 mil points.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I decided on a lark to go back to EU3 to remind myself of what that was like and oh boy. I wasn't ready for the shock to my senses that was EU3 In Nomine's art and interface. I remember at the time thinking it was a bit dated but not too bad, but it looks like a game from the '90s. Everything is about ten times more difficult to do than it has to be, too. The game itself is pretty rudimentary, though with the missions and decisions, it still has way more substance than vanilla EU3. I then installed Divine Wind 5.2 and christ, it's a whole different game. That's the game I remember sinking untold hundreds of hours into. It's still fun, too. Very different from what EU4 is now, but still not bad at all. I actually had to stop myself from playing otherwise I'd be at it all night.

Having only played EU4 for the first several months after its release and jumping back on it this year, I can see just how far that has come as well. If Divine Wind was EU 3.5, then surely we are closing in on what is basically EU 4.5, if we aren't there already. Practically every feature has been overhauled in some way, except for combat itself. I'd say it's actually much more different from launch EU4 than DW5.2 was from launch EU3.

With the way it's been evolving, I wonder if at some point they'll just release a new update that makes it EU5, and just keep building off of it. It seems strange to think about what an EU5 would have, when they seem perfectly content to do what are basically sequel-level overhauls in expansions and free patches. How do you make an actual sequel, when that's already what you have been doing for the last three years anyway? The only downside to this is the steep barrier to entry. It's already very difficult to recommend EU4 to people who are starting from scratch with the sheer number of DLCs that are essential, and that's only going to grow worse over time. They should create a bundle with every essential DLC, call it EU5, and sell it as a $50 product. Seriously.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean, how much bigger of a task would a trade system overhaul be than the addition of institutions or the fort system overhaul? That was kind of my point, they've been making a lot of changes you'd typically only see in a sequel. Compare with CK2 where with its patches and expansions, they keep bolting new misc features, regions, playable characters, etc to it, without actually changing the core of the game much. Meanwhile, EU4 has already been thoroughly gutted and replaced at this point.

I guess if EU5 is just contemporary EU4 in a new engine and an expansion or two's worth of overhauls, I'd be okay with that as long as they offer a cheaper upgrade path from EU4. Then again, that would basically be my bundle suggestion dressed up in a different coat of paint.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really only bring it up because of how expensive it is to get the "proper" EU4 experience right now. It feels like they really need to do something to make it easier to get into, whether that's a new $50 EU5 product or some kind of bundle, I'm not sure. I was serious about telling potential new players not to bother with EU4, though, because starting from scratch is currently a nightmare. Both from a price perspective, and also from a perspective of all the changes and new stuff not being tutorialized at all..

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, I decided to give England a spin and figured why not, I'll claim france as mine because I'm greedy. I fought the initial unification war and won, four loans later. Is there any way to actually keep this union now or did I make an incredibly stupid decision? :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it was pretty easy, actually. I was concerned because it was telling me our PU would break on ruler death even after liberty desire was lowered, but then I remembered that's actually dictated by relations.

The initial war was the easy part, the hard part was dealing with the fact that I couldn't allow Margaret of Anjou replace Henry VI because my relations with France weren't improved enough, and then Henry just wouldn't freaking die once I was ready for him to. I'm so far behind on tech, ideas, everything.

Well, kicking off the reunification war with refusing to return Maine in 1444 and winning that wasn't all easy, but I was able to win when France split their troops between Normandy and Gascony, twice, each time seeing me stack wipe one of their armies. They were able to rebuild both times, but I was able to run them out of manpower while recruiting shitloads of mercs (even though a couple of those battles went horribly due to awful rolls), and was eventually able to take Paris. Once that happened, I peaced out Lorraine, and France accepted the PU peace.

In retrospect, it's probably better to wait so you can replace Henry VI as soon as humanly possible. By some miracle, I got an heir-creating event which staved off the War of the Roses disaster for the duration of the war with France, which also helped a lot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drakhoran posted:

While more heavies = better has been true, with the latest tweaks to naval combat it is no longer so. When fighting galleys in inland seas, heavies are now effectively fighting at 3 to 1 odds against opponents that do double damage. Heavies are still tough enough to take quite a few galleys with them, but in the end they will lose:

Given that galleys are cheap while heavies are decidedly not, a Mediterranean power should not even consider building a single heavy until they are ready to expand into the ocean proper.

Heavies are still better ship for ship, which is important when considering forcelimits. If you are capped by your forcelimits and can afford heavies, then it's not a bad idea to build some, right?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ugh, I really shouldn't have played with Random New Worlds on. I never tried it and wanted to give it a shot. My England game has been going very well, except for the part where not a single New World trade route leads to the English Channel or North Sea. And not to mention that there's no avenue of colonization I can take except until naval tech 11 or so, which only leads me to frozen wastelands.

Welp, that's that run scrapped.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TorakFade posted:

This is kinda huge, now once you form a CN you won't have to babysit it with your own settlers for it to make significant progress

Also I guess new world will get completely filled out by 1650 or so

E: or is that a joke too

It's still there after they removed the French Elan troll. It also looks like it will be easier for them to attack neighboring natives. This will dramatically increase the rate of colonization. I suspect you will want to spread yourself across multiple colonial regions as quickly as possible so you can reap the benefits of your CNs colonizing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Even regular regiments cost ducats to reinforce, so naturally mercs do too, at a higher cost.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm mostly okay with the current combat system, but I do wish it had more transparency. I can never really tell what the dice rolls are actually doing beyond "bigger number = more damage." It would be cool if I could hover over a regiment in the battle interface and instead of giving me its pips, which tell me nothing even remotely useful, it would tell me how much damage that regiment is dealing and why. It would be much more useful for figuring out better army compositions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What happens when the Thirty Years War starts if two members of the same league are currently at war with each other? In my game, the Bohemian emperor is at war with Burgundy, and Burgundy is in the Catholic League. Would Burgundy not get a call to arms? Or would their war end in a forced truce? Their box is ticked in the war declaration screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What happens when the Thirty Years War starts if two members of the same league are currently at war with each other? In my game, the Bohemian emperor is at war with Burgundy, and Burgundy is in the Catholic League. Would Burgundy not get a call to arms? Or would their war end in a forced truce? Their box is ticked in the war declaration screen.

Welp, I committed science, and the answer is that even if the war declaration screen shows that they will be called to war, they will not. The fact that Burgundy was at war with the emperor meant that they did not get called into the league war.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're planning on playing a european power, the expansion doesn't offer a whole lot. The convenience features like the diplomatic macros would be really nice but otherwise, I feel like I'm not going to get a much better european experience post-expansion anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mughals is going to be a bit more difficult with the state limit so heavily reduced. You already constantly butted into the state cap as them even before the reduction.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

Loans: you don't want too many but as long as you're not paying more than a few bucks a month in interest, no big deal. It's obviously not necessary to take them but it can be a huge help in some circumstances to just magic up a thousand bucks, summon a merc army out of nowhere, clean house, and then worry about the economic consequences once you won. The game is about painting the map, not balancing your checkbook.

Optimally speaking, you do want loans. Lots of loans. Maybe even too many loans. Then you want to use all that money to expand like crazy so it's easy to pay back those loans, usually by taking newer, much bigger ones. The central powergaming strat is basically to use and abuse the hell out of loans. It's totally cool to not play that way, though, and the game was basically balanced around only rare loan usage (which is why they're so abusable).

It's easy to see how powerful they are when you get into a situation where you're cornered and start recruiting shitloads of mercs. I thought I was completely hosed in multiple occasions in my recent Italy game, but eight loans and a shitload of mercs later, I was beating back alliances with many times the forcelimits and manpower as me and actually taking territory (gently caress you, France and Mega-Aragon). It's possible to basically play an entire campaign like that, but it feels dirty so I just save that for emergency situations.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 4, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How many of ya'll never minted in EU3?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Becoming a Ming tributary isn't that big of a deal. You can do whatever you want as long as you pay the toll. If you wish to muck about in East Asia, just suck it up and bend the knee to the Ming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Node posted:

I'm a moron. Why can't I raze any occupied provinces as Haixi?

You need to fully own provinces if you wish to raze them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, there had to be at least one insanely exploitable, crippling bug, right? Glad to see after being away for a few years that Paradox hasn't changed in that regard.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 7, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

boner confessor posted:

how do i access the ages panel? is it dlc locked?

Yep, without the DLC they basically just use the ages as a way to unlock the religious features, absolutism, and revolutionary stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was warned by Ming in the first year of my Jianzhou run. Except I didn't notice, and played for like 10 years before I realized hey, I can't declare war on Korea without getting my poo poo kicked in by Ming, oops. So it's probably worth it to offer your tributary status to them in the first month so they don't do that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 7, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What's supposed to happen when you declare a war for japan against the shogun? Because I just did so, with it saying all of my allies would be called in on my side. Then it made me an independent daimyo, my two biggest allies automatically had their alliances with me broken and weren't called into war on either side (yet are still vassals of the shogun), and my war is titled a war of independence. So uh, did poo poo break? That's the last couple hours down the shitter if so.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I still owned only a small chunk of Japan, but I was still the biggest daimyo, with the second and third biggest as allies. The game said they would join my war with me and then nope. Now I'm outnumbered and only barely holding control of Kyoto. I don't have any special treaty options or anything that says it will grant me the shogunate, only with grant independence being the only special peace option. I'm guessing poo poo broke.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Wow this is so stupid. Ming is way too overpowered. As Shimazu I had to go through the godamn gauntlet only to leave ashikaga with one 3 development tile out in northern ainu land. I cant form japan until no daimyo are left but because ashikaga is a tributary of ming I would have to fight a loving juggernaut that is entirely stable. What was the loving intention with this? Who thought it would be more fun to watch a totally stable huge chinese unfuckable empire just chill with everything on lockdown rather than a chaotic clusterfuck that used to be the east.

And this is AFTER a war with ashikaga and ming earlier. I just defended 20ish stacks as they landed (destroyed like 6 stacks and he still had 80k MP and 110k raised. like 60 mercs) but because ming had 70 ships and 16 of which are carracks, being aggresive isn't even an option.

Can you not become a tributary yourself?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

They offered to make me a tributary just before I ate usegi but I declined and had a long war holding them off until my manpower was gone. Now they have -30opinion from trust and wont let me offer to be their tributary. I guess what pissed me off is after I killed like almost 60k troops (corned and wiped them out) they still had +2 stab, 70 prestige and 7 war exhaustion. They immediately got into a defensive war with korea, kicked their rear end and had absolutely no problems. What the hell does it take to break ming's stability now? Its just lame that I have pretty much no hope of ever invading.

Yeah, if you're a tributary, Ming doesn't get called into wars against other tributaries. You were really supposed to accept their offer at that point, and made things tremendously more difficult by not doing so. Being a tributary typically only nets a loss of between .5 to 1 monarch point per month, you maintain all diplomatic freedom, and can quit whenever. It's basically the toll you pay to enter into East Asian politics. It's pretty lame though how far Ming's influence reaches and how you pretty much have no choice but to pay that toll, or else get royally hosed by Mega Ming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess you could consider perpetual war reps some form of tributary status, in a sense.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Node posted:

Thanks.

How much of a penalty to the mandate counter Ming gets when a 300+ development horde borders them?

It's a disaster that ticks up over a really long period, something like 15 years. So you'll likely be brought into conflict with them at some point during that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Your army is man for man much better than theirs, even if they don't have a low mandate. Time your breaking off from Ming with a technological advantage, and you should be able to end up with a possible temporary lead in the war. The disaster speeds up a lot when Ming is losing a war, so if you can do this you can try holding them off long enough for the disaster to trigger. I don't actually know how long it is when you account for the losing war modifier.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

After waiting for ten loving years for a rebel faction at 90% with a 10% chance to rise up every single month, and them never loving doing it, I have never wished more for a button that just instantly raises them so I can slaughter them. This is agony.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, I have another fort question. Can anyone explain why these forts don't have zones of control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

My assumption would be because they're merely occupied forts from the enemy. They likely stop enemy movement (Or not, given how buggy zones of control are), but won't stop rebel effects.

They did not stop enemy movement, portugal was able to march right through those forts, despite me controlling all adjacent land. The forts seemed to be not exerting any form of ZoC at all.

• Locked thread