Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
My lovely rural dsl decided to crap out this afternoon, downloaded about 3/5th of the expansion, and then I've spent the last four hours and only managed to get another 4 meg or so downloaded. Steam is literally showing speeds of like 4 kb/s with expected download times ranging from weeks to months.

I'm so loving crabby right now. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hey, Wiz, you know what would be a nice button? In diplomacy, maybe just to the left of "declare war" a little button that closes all the diplomatic action buttons so they were compact again. :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Does the AI follow manpower rules as well? Is bleeding the enemy manpower down to the point that they can't build or reinforce armies a strategy that works? In most all my wars the enemy doom stacks always seem to just re-grow and it's always me that runs out first.

Yeah, but usually not as much as you'd hope, as the AI tends to hire mercs very aggressively.

It definitely helps, but you have to be able to keep up the pressure and knock down their merc stacks without bleeding out all your manpower.

I do see a big advantage in watching my targets manpower and jumping on them when they're bleed white from wars with other people. Then I can take out their big merc stack and keep them down.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced they were adding Chocobos to EUIV tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Very excited that we might, potentially, eventually get improvements to the Random New World feature in some future patch/dlc. :dance:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Also, if you're going to rework Random New World from scratch, maybe include a few more options?

1.) Random New World
2.) Random Ocean (Randomizes New World, Pacific, Australia/Indonesia, and Indian Ocean
3.) Randomized outside Old World. (Keeps Europe/North Africa/Middle East the same and randomizes everything else, like the old Merchant Prince game)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd like Wiz to fix the thing where merely making your monarch a general makes them more likely to die (from the extra death check for generals).

I can't stop doing it for bad kings, even if it's gamey, and it makes me reluctant to use good kings as generals because even if I'm willing to risk them in a war, I'm much less willing to risk them knowing that after the war they have a bigger chance of dropping dead just sitting around the palace.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rakthar posted:

It's not gamey, it's modeling the difference between sitting in a palace and being out in a military camp where supplies are limited and disease is more prevalent. What you're describing is the exact tradeoff you're supposed to be weighing. A king is a 'free' general. In the case of a crappy king you want to get rid of, the choice is easy. Do it. In the case of a good king you want to keep, also relatively easy. Don't do it. And anywhere inbetween (like I can only afford 1 general but my king is decent so I do risk him dying hmmm let me check the heir) is the decision making that's supposed to come into play.

I'm not talking about the chance of dying in battle.

My understanding is that for every 'tick' of time that passes, your monarch rolls a die to see if he dies a natural death. Generals do the same. If you turn you monarch into a general then every tick he rolls the dice to see if he dies from natural causes while being a monarch and then rolls the dice AGAIN to see if he dies from natural causes while being a general. Which means when your 0-1-0 comes to the throne you can immediately make him a general and there's an increased (doubled?) chance of him dying from natural causes even if you aren't at war and have no intention of going to war! (That's gamey) Similarly, if you turn a good king into a general and have him survive the war you fight, then for all the rest of the years he lives he continues to roll two 'death dice' every tick even though the war has been over, you've been at peace for decades, and he's sitting around the palace getting fat.

It's certainly possible I've misunderstood how the mechanic works, but I thought this was a confirmed (and presumably low priority to fix) quirk of the system.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

There should be a way to make sure every monarch you get isnt 0/1/0 every-other ruler. Your entire game is based around Monarch Points and as a monarchy (like 75% of the countries in the historical game) you have exactly zero ways to cultivate a better ruler.

In fairness, that's the idea behind advisors and national focus. Advisors ARE pretty drat expensive, though. I'd sort of like to see advisor cost scale more by the size of your country, so that smaller countries could get +3 advisors more easily, but bigger countries would still find them prohibitive. I do think it might be interesting if there were a few more ways to affect this though. Perhaps a few of the (currently underpowered) idea trees could have a capstone that gave +1 to that monarch point category?

Or maybe add some policies that let you get +X MP in a category for scaling penalties....

Harsh Regime: +1 military point per month for +5 national revolt risk
Unctuous Diplomats: +1 diplomatic point for +3% prestige decay
Overbearing Bureaucracy: +1 admin point for -10% national tax

The actual numbers would be different, obviously

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Elman posted:

The Ottomans lose their lucky nation status and the Janissaries in the 1700s, though.

Do they actually LOSE lucky status when the year ticks to 1700? Or do they just not get it if you start after 1700? Big difference.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Konig posted:

Can someone explain to me what is meant by a "vertical" nation?

A small nation with super rich provinces, equal in power to a large nation with less developed ones. So instead of spending your points on conquering and coring, you're spending them on cranking up the development of your provinces.

No idea how 'competitive' it is, or how it compares in practice to traditional blobbing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jabarto posted:

Wiz is posting some interesting things about the upcoming patch on the Paradox forums:

Source: Is there any reason to build a higher tier fort than 1?

Source: +5 cost per development needs to go.

They both sound like really good changes to me.

Seems like a big boost to development.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The HRE just declared landfriede(?) which disallows internal HRE wars. I figured I could declare war on him and force him to repeal the law, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I assume my only option is taking my toys and going home (leave the HRE)?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Jeeze, late game coring costs can be brutal as provinces are much more heavily developed.

Trying to take massively developed core land from Bohemia with their +50% hostile core creation is just... it's just...

Keep your loving land. :negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

I loving love how missions got "redone" and a bunch that were neat are utter poo poo now, but "reduce overextension!" is still a 3 skill diplomat :xd:

Historical event and maybe even mission advisors should really be massively discounted or free. Nice, a level 3 dude/lady who costs 3 times my monthly income to support. Thanks, but no thanks.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm just sad the beta isn't out until Tuesday, so I can't start a fresh game over the weekend with all the fixes.

Need early access beta patches.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Roadie posted:

The next big patch that tweaks this stuff is this week, and it looks like the only countries that will still be left holding the short end of the stick are the American ones, since they have low development/high building costs that are really punishing compared to the original Conquest of Paradise stuff.

Which reminds me, I sort of feel like the generic colonial idea set should maybe have some sort of development cost bonus because they're starting 'from scratch' and are going to be spending a lot on development.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Snake borders are canon for China

Ugh, Paradox, fix your poo poo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PrinceRandom posted:

Is there like a mod or something that adds some preset idea sets for the nation designer? I was gonna try and build Iraq to make a kinda gooniversalis set up but choosing ideas was too much for me.

No, probably the easiest(?) thing to do is set the point limit to 800 (honor system yourself to X) and then hit the 'random idea' button a few times for each AI nation to get a set of ideas that looks goodish. You want to set the limit up because it can generate a fairly big swath of cost for random ideas (some sets suck some are pretty solid).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

:xcom:

(pretend that's Johan or Wiz's wizard face)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I love the new fort system. Makes wars more fun and feel better.

My only complaints are -

1.) The issue someone else noted where it seems like a fort deeper into the country blocks access to the fort you border. Some other weird zoc issues too, which I assume will be ironed out over time.

2.) Lack of clarity of where you can move and why/which fort is blocking you which is pretty much #1 again. I don't know how you can improve this visually, but it still needs work in my opinion. I kinda like the idea of visually highlighting 'NO GO' provinces with glowing red borders or something when you have a unit selected. The little 'red x fort' icon gets really lost in the sea of detail.

3.) Maybe a slight increase in cost per fort the more forts you have - to reduce fort blanketing? Maybe reduce this with defensive policy?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Frontspac posted:

The AI really needs to be better at knowing when it's beat (or when it's won). I've been dragged into far too many wars that just drag on forever for no real reason because the AI for some reason has no interest in just taking it's wargoal and going home. The AI fights every war like it's all or nothing, which can be super frustrating. My Flanders game was hosed up pretty bad because I was called into a defensive/coalition war with my ally AI France, who then not only lost but insisted on losing badly. Instead of ending the war when it was obviously lost and making sane concessions, France just kept going until it was collapsing in on itself, handing the enemy a 100% warscore victory and releasing a bunch of my hard earned territory. If you're not a co-belligerent in a war, it shouldn't be that hard/costly to peace out. The AI should be a bit more keen on getting you out of the war so it can focus on it's objectives than extracting as many punishing concessions as possible at every turn.

I mean those kind of grinding, gently caress everyone over total wars can and should happen -- but not every war, especially not in the early game.

This, honestly, is my biggest long standing complaint with the game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trabisnikof posted:

Forts you've occupied from the enemy don't give a zoc iirc

Yeah, I thought this was a bug too, until it kept happening and I figured it was probably WAD.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jackson Taus posted:

My DLC concern is that I don't want to do a learning/tutorial LP and have it feel inaccessible to people who didn't buy all the expansions - does it make sense to note where something I'm doing only works with DLC, or would it be better to say "if you had DLC X, you could do Y here"?

You might just disable your DLC (checkbox in launcher on starting game) for the purposes of doing a 'vanilla' run for at least the basic game, as that's probably what a lot of people will start with.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The game should ask if you WANT to switch idea sets on all these sorts of things.

I guess the problem with that is being able to preview/compare the ideas.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bold Robot posted:

I didn't realize mercs don't upgrade automatically, but it makes sense. This explains why my merc stacks that I keep out in the colonies have been underperforming.

Longbow mercs nock their bows as the Napoleonic infantry advances.

"It's a living." :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Just posted a dev diary about how we're remaking Random New World.

Less exciting then fully random, but still pretty exciting.

I'm definitely already mulling over fun tiles to make. I'm going to have to start getting some heightmaps together. Any chance you've locked down the dimensions of a single tile (500x500 or whatever) and could tell us? Also, maybe base sea level color on the heightmap? I really hope you guys get tile rotation in, that will help a lot in making things look more dynamic.

Can tiles have 'odd' shapes, like L shaped tiles? Or are they (reasonably) locked to rectangular dimensions?

Also, I assume each tile will come with a predefined province map, so will province colors be dynamically reassigned on generation? Like if tile 16 in Mod X has a province colored 121,215,98 and tile 9 in Mod Y also has a province with 121,215,98 they'll still be compatible, right?

It might be fun to make some Mega tiles of the current North/south America with ~changes~, like working NW passage, no Panama isthmus etc, california is an island, different sea levels, etc.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah would be cool to have random Australia & area too.

Ideally it would be nice to have something like:

Random New World
Random New World + (includes Australia/Indonesia/Indian Ocean)
Random Globe (randomizes everything)

EDIT:
I'd LIKE a system where only what Europe can see is locked down and even Africa/Asia can be randomized (like the old Machivelli the Prince game), but I suppose that's not really very feasible without a system to 'bolt' landmasses onto stub North Africa/West Asia.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Oh, I just saw this:

wiz posted:

- Ability to set parameters for your new world before generation, such as province and native density.

Which implies tiles are just height maps and the provinces are created randomly on generation, which is pretty cool.

EDIT:

Also, this:

quote:

- More variety in what you can find besides just world layout, for example there might be a small chance that the natives you find are actually more technologically advanced than you are.

Is the MOST BEST THING EVER.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hopefully they'll make it work.

Matching land tiles seems like a tricky problem. Amazing if they get it working well, though!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trujillo posted:

Worst map color in the game?

I guess it's pretty similar to Tunis', it's just a bummer to form a relatively tough country and be greeted with that as a reward, and ideas I don't like as much as the ones I just had. If it wasn't ironman I would edit it to Romania's color in hoi2. Wishing I had hit that button in 1820.

The game really just needs to have a little button where you can customize your name/rgb color/ and flag with the nation creator interface at any time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Randarkman posted:

Right now I'm really bummed that the game only goes to 1820. The year is now 1816. To think of what I could accomplish with say only 4 or 5 more years.

It's pretty trivial to change the end dates if you're not doing something foolish like playing ironman.

It's exactly the sort of reason why I never do! :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

aeglus posted:

The real tragedy is that the game gets boring by the mid years then on the end game stretch it is a pretty awesome albeit simple war game from 1800-1820 and ends in the middle of a massive coalition war.

I would VERY much like to see a DLC that extends the game to Dec 31, 1835, to link up with Victoria and specifically focuses on enhancing 1750-1835. More colonial revolution stuff, deeper Napoleonic stuff, etc. Give more a reason to play to the end with some climatic poo poo and tack the extra 15 years on just to give a little more flex to wrapping things up so that you're less likely to get caught in the middle of the End War.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Once I can make client states I'm absolutely going to get rid of my north african holdings. I wish I could actually release them as a vassal now.

I still wish client states were available much sooner or from the start. They're too fun to put off to the second half of the game. Easy to mod, I guess, but still....

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Can you change this for a game in progress?

I imagine so. Just go find where they activate (tech files?) and adjust.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\ just listen to this dude

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry, which file controls that?

I'm on my phone, but I'm betting its in the diplo(?) Tech file that defines what you're granted each tech level. So in common/ and then I don't remember if those are still tucked in a tech/ directory or just in with everything else.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PrinceRandom posted:

wtf...

Bohemia Habsburgs got the personal union with Hungary and not me, the real Habsburgs.

Hell me and Hungary just beat them up to release Silesia.

Well, you're the same dynasty, so you ought to be able to claim their throne and force a PU, which will give you the Hungary PU too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, if you're building colonies and sucking in global trade you get so many merchants and so much gold anyway that Trade seems a bit superfluous.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Anyone else notice their conquistadors set to '7 cities' just... stopping? Occasionally I'll notice they stop moving, despite nearby, pathable unexplored provinces. Clicking the 7 cities button does nothing. Usually if I manually move them to another, nearby province and push the button again, they'll start exploring again. Seemed like it only started happening once the Americas were ~80(?) explored or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I converted a couple games last night from CKII (base Charlie/base Old Gods) to use as a base for the random nation feature (Christianity in peril!) and it seemed to work fine. One game converted without proper localization, but that's always been a random problem.

I didn't look closely, but they seemed to convert over okay, including Manachianism in the new central asian provinces and such. Worked fine for nation randomizing.

• Locked thread