Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

About to play this since the DLC/Patch dropped. Can anyone give me a quick primer? I've been a bit out of pocket, all I've heard is that the new Patch basically remakes the entire game or some poo poo and it has awful reviews on Steam.

The new Development mechanic converts roughly 1 basetax into 2.5 development, coring is 10 ADM per development and claims only reduce by 10% so coring is more expensive. Diplo-annexation is fully twice as expensive as before. Combined that means you'll be expanding more slowly and that's generally what the tantrums are about. You can spend MPs to develop provinces but this is pretty expensive for non-Western nations.

Forts in friendly territory exert a zone of control that cannot be passed until you siege down the fort. Un-fortified provinces can be sieged in one month and leaving armies sitting there will loot it for gold like in CK2. Forts can be huge manpower drains to take and similarly you can attrite a lot of enemies on them.

Religious conversion is easier due to changes in the formula relative to Development. The loss of +1 Diplomat, +1 relations, +leader slots from the unique Embassy and War College etc buildings really hurts.

Protestantism owns really hard. England and France no longer start in the middle of the HYW. New mechanics for Buddhists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So what's the run around? Just makes you focus on tech that reduces core costs if you want to expand that way?

Seems like it kinda pushes you to have more Marches as well.

So if you want to take out a big country, like Lithuania, you have to take out forts one by one before you can get to their capital? How does that affect war? Seems like it might stink if I have to devote my entire stack to fighting on one fort instead of attacking their stacks.

I guess putting forts in forest/mountain provinces is probably the best idea now?

Well, the overall change is you can now develop vertically by improving your province development, but expanding "wide" is slower. I should've mentioned AE is reduced relative to before the patch, so if you do want to conquer a ton of provinces something like Admin is really crucial and Influence is still excellent but a little less so.

Yes, and another small change was that there's no cap on Marches, plus with the new vassal interactions you can force them to switch religion and so on. It is indeed hugely valuable to just feed up a strong March or two even if you never intend to integrate them.

Offensive wars I usually focus on the important forts to take my wargoals. Detach siege on the fort, move the rest of the army to wealthy unfortified neighbor provinces and loot them for mad cash while you siege. Use merc infantry for siege, use lots of mercs. You'll probably end up knocking down a few forts and peacing out, I feel like this makes wars shorter since you're only sieging a couple forts, but they're bloodier. Defensive wars if you have a well-placed line of forts you can just sit your armies behind them and let the AI eat attrition. Then assemble your armies at your leisure to relieve sieges that are close to finishing.

Since Forts occupy one of a limited number of building slots per province and you want to maximize attrition, I generally try to put them in low-development provinces I don't plan on investing in. Personally I think having good Zone of Control coverage to restrict enemy troop movement might be more important than the terrain of where you put them.

edit:

Sharzak posted:

Fort ZOC only extends to adjacent provinces, so before you can take a country's capital you'll usually have to siege down a fort or two but you won't have to siege every fort first. It affects war quite dramatically--I just held off the entire HRE as a not very big Prussia by using interlocking forts. the terrain type of a province is going to generally be subordinate to its geographical location in terms of fort placement prioritizing. I've found that I need a fort where I need a fort, terrain doesn't usually come into my decision making.
Yeah pretty much exactly what I was trying to say. Strategic location and movement restriction is probably more important than terrain.

Chokepoints are also really good, for example Holstein

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 22, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Note that the fort system makes the game pretty "interesting" for someone like Muscovy/Russia who has a huge number of fairly weak provinces. They seem to do really poorly with Common Sense, they just have way too many provinces for good fort coverage especially in Siberia. Every time they fight someone in Asia most of their territory gets occupied rapidly, the only thing that can hold out for long is the central Moscow region they seem to fortify well. Russian winter doesn't really work as a strategic element if you have a hard time affording the forts to defend your long rear end border :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Konig posted:

Ah so something like non-colonising England or Japan, sounds cool and very much in line with how I like to play, might have to buy this new DLC!

You probably want to do some of each. Take Economic because it's great all around but also has -20% Development cost, then eventually you can build Universities for another -20% per province. Even with those bonuses however, the gain from buying development is hugely more than coring or integrating a province; the base is 50 + terrain and other modifiers +1% per development. You want to be strategic about your development, buy production in valuable trades good provinces, manpower in lovely grain but same-culture, tax in same-culture, etc.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

Seems like a big boost to development.

Yeah that'll be pretty huge, it'll make buying development fairly competitive with conquering or integrating. Base 50 MP per dev, toss in discounts from Econ, university and you can get that down to ~25 or so which is similar to core/integrate cost.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

reL posted:

You can select your troops and uncheck "Attach to this army" if the base unit in that screenshot is yours.

edit: I'll usually leave it unchecked for all but one army while I'm chasing down larger forces and smashing them up, and once I force retreats or wipe the larger forces opposing me I'll uncheck it for that army, too.

Nah that's just a huge pile of allied armies stacked above supply limit and eating attrition

The AI has done this forever it's just worse with Common Sense fort changes

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If I'm playing Castille and have a female ruler and the Iberian Wedding fires, I'm the one who gets hosed, right?

ed

LOL

Immediately after posting this I spawned Castillian Civil War but don't seem to have gotten any benefit from choosing the male heir.

Nah it the gender assignment doesn't matter, the only way the Iberian Wedding works is with Castile as overlord and Aragon as junior partner. For it to trigger, you need the rulers to be a male/female pair and which is which isn't relevant

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

reL posted:

So to those talking about using mercenaries, I've decided to give it a go in my most recent Poland game. Right now I'm running 16-8-8 stacks, with all 16 infantry being mercenary. The cost has been a factor that I've had to dance around, which is manageable, but my bigger question is about replacements. I just teched to.. 12 or 13? Whereever you get the Eastern Musketeers. At this point my mercenary purchase window has 27 pike infantry and 3 musketeers.

Do I just have to make due with legacy troops for a little while after each infantry upgrade? Is it recommended to buyout the existing mercenaries in the ledger to try and get the list to fill out with updated troops more quickly? Is it really financially feasible to do this? I'm not exactly a trading empire as The Commonwealth (should I be?).

Also is rolling 16merc-8-8 excessive? Those that are using mercenaries heavily, do you split your infantry in half merc/prof, or?

You should be able to wait a few months and the mercenary pool will eventually repopulate with appropriate upgraded troops. If you're a bit ahead of time on tech it seems like it will offer you a small selection of the newest troops and you may need to recruit several troops each month for a few months to get enough of your Eastern Musketeers or whatever.

In general, having a standing merc army like you do is really expensive not only for the increased maintenance cost but as you're seeing here it can cost a lot to update your troops when you buy tech.

FYI, mercenaries are 1.5x the recruit cost and 2.5x the maintenance of regular troops. They also recruit in 25% of the normal time and can be recruited in occupied enemy provinces. To me those last two are just as important as the fact the mercs are saving you manpower. At the outbreak of a war I will recruit a few merc infantry for each of my stacks, then after battles refill with fresh merc infantry recruited very near the battle front or even from occupied enemy provinces. The fact I can hire a siege stack of merc infantry right where I need it in a fraction of the time is great.

You can use as many mercs as you want, the only downside is the cost. I would probably run something smaller than 16/8/8 but that depends on the game date, that ratio seems good to me. I'd split that in half and do 2x 8/4/4 with as much merc infantry as you want.

Edit: it comes up a ton but my standard stack is 8/4/8 with an additional 2-4 merc infantry hired at the start of the war. Before 1600 use less artillery. If you want to pinch pennies do 10/2/8, though keep in mind cavalry do actually have some additional utility in Common Sense since they're extra good at Looting. You're missing out on a lot of sweet cash if you don't detach your cav (and maybe some friends) to hop around occupying and looting provinces while you siege the nearby fort.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 23, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

So I can be a noble republic, take aristocratic, then switch to constitutional republic and take Plutocratic?? mama mia

I don't know what military ideas are good anymore. What would people recommend for a small country like the Netherlands that wants to expand a bit in europe but mostly just not get destroyed by HRE or France.

Offensive, Defensive, Quantity, Quality are all great and which is best will depend on your situation. Aristocratic is also really good right now because it gives you +1 Diplomat, +1 leader slot, -10% mil tech cost all of which have great utility due to the Common Sense changes removing unique buildings and making MPs tighter. However, Aristocratic is weaker in terms of straight up military strength.

Army Tradition is harder to accumulate this patch, which makes me lean a little more toward Defensive, Quality, and Aristocratic. Combining two or more of those lets you out-general Lucky nations a lot of the time, since they have trouble building AT.

As Netherlands I'd suggest Quantity, Defensive, Aristocratic. Quality would be pretty good, Offensive probably least attractive for you imo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, they've done a great job of balancing the military ideas this go around. Even Offensive still seems solid to me, probably best if you pair it up with Quantity, since it helps offset the lack of military tradition. And that +20% Siege Ability.

Yeah Netherlands gets +10% Siege Ability from NIs, if I were them I'd definitely want Quantity for helping out with a colonial empire plus enough dudes to not look too tasty for larger European powers. The combination of the increased garrison size and Defensive fort/attrition bonuses is great.

As Netherlands I'd be looking to build up a beefy wall of forts on my borders, let opponents attrite themselves. You're super wealthy and can afford to let enemies wear themselves down on sieges, send in your stacks to relieve the siege, pull back and rebuild your armies, rinse repeat.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Can anyone explain combat a little more? Like Morale vs Discipline vs shock vs fire and all that? Combat mechanics always seem to be changing so I don't trust wiki articles, or are they more or less up to date?

It's really hard to rate one stat versus another, and generally they stack multiplicatively so it's often best to double down on any good NIs you have and otherwise just get some of everything.

Generally, here's how combat works. Two armies engage, and line up with infantry/cav in front and artillery in back, to a maximum of the Combat Width (modified by terrain).

Infantry don't really do anything special, they're just cheap and average all-around. However they're you're bread and butter front liners and so things like +Infantry Combat Ability are very strong.
Cavalry are able to flank, meaning they can engage units other than those directly in front of them. They go on the edges of your battle lines and inflict massive Shock damage, which means they're stronger in the first half of the game (before 1600 or so) and somewhat weaker in the second half. They don't have as good defensive pips as Infantry, especially for Fire, but nothing can match them in Shock damage. They're also highly efficient at looting.
Artillery don't do much battle damage to start and are primarily used for supporting sieges. However, after 1600 or so they become increasingly powerful and eventually dominant in battles. They grant their defensive pips to the units in front of them, speed up sieges, and are the only unit type able to deal damage from the back line.

Combat is divided into "phases" of 3 days Fire followed by 3 days Shock, repeat. Each phase both sides will roll a dice 0-9. This is then modified by terrain penalty, general stats, and the individual unit pips. The final modified dice roll is then converted into a number of base casualties.

As an example, an infantry in Shock phase rolls for damage as follows:

(Your general Shock + infantry offensive Shock - terrain modifiers) - (Enemy general Shock + enemy infantry defensive Shock - terrain modifiers) and from now on I'll just call that your dice roll. That includes generals, specific unit pips, and any terrain penalties for the attacking side.

This dice roll is further modified multiplicatively by your Shock/Fire modifier (from tech) and by Discipline and Combat Ability. Damage to an enemy unit is reduced by their Tactics, which is modified by Discipline, so Disc double-dips both damage and "HP." Units at lower strength do correspondingly less damage, so if you're pushing aggressively it's often useful to consolidate into full-strength units.

The casualties are then Dice Roll x Shock/Fire Modifier from tech x Discipline x Combat Ability / Enemy Discipline assuming you're at tech (Tactics) parity.

A battle ends when you deplete the enemy's Morale. Morale damage is calculated as the above casualties * your morale, one of the reasons Prussian ideas are so ridiculous is they multiply all those modifiers for massive Morale damage and stackwipe your rear end.

Stacking high values of multiplicative modifiers makes things really silly. Take an example of a Prussian infantry with +30% combat ability, +20% Discipline, and +60% Morale. Taken together that infantry does ~250% Morale damage :stare:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Anyone heard when the next patch might be released? Trying to weigh how much time I want to spend working toward a few achievements vs. waiting until after the changes to development particularly

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
In case anyone was wondering, Denmark is now small enough to join the HRE right away at the start, without selling any provinces or anything. That makes them a crazy strong start. Sweden will almost always declare war on you in the first couple years but they're not too tough to beat back, the main key is making sure the TO doesn't start rivaled to you. If the TO rivals you, they'll support Sweden's independence and you're probably hosed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How is this even possible with the changes they made?

Muscovy is kind of a pushover or at least tends to collapse a lot more easily to Hordes and other neighbors. Him owning all the PLC land is more impressive to me cuz there's a solid 500+ development in there and it took me forever to conquer in my TO->Prussia game.

It's totally doable but I'd be pretty surprised if that screenshot is much before ~1700. He hasn't given us the date :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trujillo posted:

I thought in a theocracy you don't get a stab hit when your ruler dies? I just got one and I know he wasn't fighting in a battle.

As far as I know you don't? Are you sure, did you take a screenshot?

I was pretty sure theocracies and republics never got stab hits on leader death, battle or no.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Pretty sure. No events or anything else happened.

Hmm was your heir less than a Strong claim? I don't recall if any of the heir choices are weaker heirs, but maybe a weak heir gives you a stab hit in theocracies?

Also, completely unrelated but holy moly some of the Seven Cities bonus are really strong. I just discovered the Kingdom of Saguenay which is +10% Trade Efficiency and +10% Trade Power for the rest of the campaign :stare:

Edit: added screen

yes please

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 25, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Two questions:

1. What's a good idea progression for Milan?

Admin and/or Econ. Italian provinces are rich and expensive to core, plus the merc discounts in Admin make that an attractive early choice. Milan has a strong Development discount, so Econ and building up those rich provinces is a good idea later on.

You're not really positioned to colonize, so Diplomatic and Influence ideas are probably your top picks in that category. Since you're sitting on two end nodes, Trade and Maritime might not be bad picks either.

All the mil ideas are pretty well-balanced right now, obviously skip Naval.

I'd probably go Diplomatic, Admin, Aristocratic for starters and then whatever.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yashichi posted:

Aristocratic is still garbage, I'm surprised by all these recommendations

It's really good right now, the +1 Diplomat and +1 Leader slot are great. Somewhat ironic since those used to be hot trash. If you haven't played much Common Sense, you'll quickly come to find the lack of the early third Diplomat from an Embassy frustrating, especially if you're doing any vassal integration.

The other military ideas will give you more actual punch in battles, but Aristocratic is an excellent first military idea pick for almost any nation right now.

Of course, with the upcoming patch (beta out next week) that gives you +Diplomat and +1 leader with government rank, I'd bet Aristocratic will lose a lot of its appeal.

Edit: in a vacuum, Aristocratic isn't all that great, no. However with the loss of unique building bonuses, it gives you some solid military stuff as well as "quality of life" bonuses and MIL point discounts which make it an attractive first military pick.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
France is a bit weaker at the start but that's counterbalanced by Castile somehow being completely terrible this patch. France will occasionally get clowned and lose a bunch of territory to Burgundy and England, but most of the time they seem to end up crushing the Iberians in a couple wars. They're still pretty terrifying, though Poland/Lithuania might be the scarier enemy early on.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you haven't tried the Papal States they're monstrously strong after Common Sense added a bunch of event bonuses for them.

For example, it's 1490 and I have:

Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion (meh)
decorated Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion, +1 Dip Rep (also could choose -1 RR or +0.5 Prestige instead of the dip rep)
Swiss Guard +25% Manpower
Vatican Library -5% tech cost, +5% Discipline (also could choose +1 Dip Rep or -1 RR instead of the Discipline)

Toss those near-guaranteed bonuses on top of your strong NI set and the fact you're small enough to join the HRE at the start and it's very :stare:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Traxis posted:

Can the pope become Emperor?

Nope, though that would be amusing. It's more for getting the Emperor off your case about expanding into the HRE provinces in northern Italy and the decent bonuses from reforms. You can form a unique Kingdom of God nation by conquering Italy which gives some more bonuses, doesn't change NIs.

I'm trying for the Holy Trinity achievement, not sure how I'll manage to vassalize the TO and LO, I think that'll be the trickiest part?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Donald Duck posted:

I think LO are the tricky part. You can release the TO from provinces because of their culture but I don't think you can LO.

Yep that's mostly what I'm worried about. They're Prussian primary culture without any actual Prussian provinces, so they lose their cores quickly and if you let them get completely annexed you can't release them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Nice! Am I understanding the league wars mechanic correctly in that you have to be part of the HRE to take part in the war? How'd you go about that as Sweden, just take some of Denmark's lands and then join up? Thinking about going for the Sweden achievements once the patch comes out for realsies.

You don't need to be a member in the HRE to join League wars or get that achievement. In fact, outside nations picking sides is where most of the carnage comes from as you're likely to have most of the major European nations involved. Often the Ottomans and Muscovy/Russia too.

However you can totally join the HRE as Sweden, just take Blekinge from Denmark in addition to your independence when you break loose. You need to butter up the Emperor a lot and probably release Finland to go under 100 development, any bigger and you're too large to join. Finland is a good little bro vassal and you can fight Novgorod for their cores back before you integrate them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

You've got to feed like 2/3rds of Sweden to Finland first, then re-annex vassal Finland later. At least that's the way it used to be, dunno if they've made it easier to join the HRE in the 4 months or so since I did "Sweden is Not Overpowered."

It is easier to join than before CS, yes.

Edit: specifically-

Before, you needed to be under 50 base tax (same culture group as Emperor, so usually Germanic) or 25 as an outsider culture. Your vassal basetax x vassal income efficiency counts towards that total. That meant previously you had to sell a handful of provinces to Finland in addition to releasing them and you were getting close to having them similar size to you and a little rebellious.

Now, you just need less than 100 development, I don't think there's any difference for culture. Sweden starts with 102 plus Blekinge for the HRE border, so you only need to release Finland or you could even just sell a couple of crap provinces since you only need to dump like 10 development to join the HRE.

As another example, Denmark can join no problem too. Their PUs don't count towards the development to join and they're under 100 at the start.

The immediate benefits to joining the Empire (Imperial Integrity was the shiniest) aren't as good as before CS but I think it's still a good idea as Sweden or anyone else for whom it's not super painful.

Other HRE candidates: Bosnia, Serbia, Albania would just need a province adjacent to join. Provence probably can and should hop in right away. TO and LO. The Papal State. Venice can join by selling a couple provinces to vassals and giving Brescia back to Milan. Byzantium if you managed to take Dalmatia off Venice or something.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DeeEmTee posted:

If Denmark joins the HRE does that mean the emperor will be called into any independence wars?

I dunno for sure, but Sweden will almost always declare in the first couple of years and you need really good relations with Austria (alliance, marriage) to join. So you're almost certainly getting Austria in Sweden's independence war, but I dunno if it would call the emperor in otherwise.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

So non-catholic countries can join before the reformation/league war? Something seems off about a a Serbian orthodox state joining the HRE.

Yeah I'm pretty sure any Christian nation can potentially join. Serbia could, but that would likely mean punching a couple provinces off Hungary and getting an alliance + RM with the Emperor to have high enough relations to join. Not easy but doable.

And yeah, anyone can join the League Wars. Catholics can join the Protestant side, Orthodox and Muslims will hop in too. No rules, it's thunderdome.

Edit: looking at the map, for Orthodox it's really only Serbia and maybe Wallachia that have a reasonable shot at joining the HRE. Maaaaaaybe Novgorod, but that'd be really hard to pull off.

Allowing Orthodox rebels to flip Ottomans to Orthodox, vassalizing electors and making yourself the Emperor of the HRE used to be a pro Ottomans strat back in the day.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

When different unit types have the same number of total pips but they're distributed slightly differently, does it really matter which one you pick? I'm thinking of situations where like you have 3 options and, in a given category, one has one more pip for offensive, one has one more pip for defensive, and one is balanced. My guess is it barely matters but I'd be interested to hear the take of a more experienced player.

It doesn't matter that much, but occasionally you have a few equivalent choices and I'd evaluate them as follows:

Shock/Fire pips are better than Morale.
For infantry, I'd favor defensive pips unless you're rocking killer generals and military NIs, someone like Prussia might want to favor offensive pips and murder everything. Check your Shock/Fire modifiers from tech when comparing those two.
For cav, they're all about Shock damage so you want offensive Shock pips. Defensive Fire pips are good, but offensive Fire on cav is complete garbage.

As an example, at western tech 15 you have three infantry choices.

Reformed Tercio - 2/2 Fire, 2/2 Shock, 3/3 Morale
Gustavian Infantry - 3/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 3/2 Morale
Highlanders Infantry - 2/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 4/2 Morale

At that tech infantry is 1.1 Fire and 1.15 Shock modifiers. Gustavian Infantry would be my pick.

Edit: and as another example, check out the top tier Western cavalry http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_units#Western_2

I'd pick the Lancers, best Shock damage and offensive Fire is terrible on cav. From modifiers they do like 3-6x more Shock than Fire damage depending on tech.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Tercio is actually 2/2 2/3 3/3. Since it has better morale and shock defense compared to the other two and all units in the fight take morale damage at all times even if they aren't fighting in the front line usually I go with tercio. It's especially better if you're fighting in terrain with a lower combat width. It also depends on what kind of generals you have. If you have all shock generals you don't want to be using a unit that's more fire than shock.

Oops thanks for spotting the error. And yeah you can be a little more strategic about your unit choices depending on generals but really the main obvious choice is not to buy offensive FIre on cav. A Shock pip is literally 3-6x as good.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Can anyone explain why vassals cost a relation slot to maintain but colonies and protectorates don't? All that does it make it so every vassal is someone you end up wanting to diplo-annex, there's no benefit for a long-term vassal. Sometimes I just want basically a big client/puppet state or what ever. It's like the whole vassal system is built around the assumption that they are just temporary until you annex them.

I just want to have a huge vassal empire rather than paint the map my own colour.
Well, I imagine it's largely for balance reasons. Colonies don't really contribute to continental fights so they're less valuable in a direct military sense than vassals or Marches. Protectorates are really far from other subjects in that they don't even have independent governments or produce their own units.

I find with CS that holding onto a few mega-Marches is a really great strategy. Expansion by vassal feeding and integration is way slower than previously. Marches no longer lose their bonuses after reaching a certain size (they keep them forever) and with the new vassal interactions you can change their religion, build forts for them, funnel manpower, all great. It's certainly not the same thing as having an HRE vassal swarm, but I'd very much recommend building up a couple marches in off-culture areas with a decent NI set.

Bort Bortles posted:

aaaaaaaaaaa

I have 100 Power Projection and it gives me a whole +0.1 Republican Tradition :imafag:
(I have like 10,000 more infantry I could be sieging the province with, if I could assault)

So for Noble Republics every option is always going to be a 4 a 1 and a 1 in whatever order based on the type of guy? Then I need to re-elect them to give a +1's across the board?

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm at miltech 4 otherwise I would have cannons :\
I just do not understand why you cant assault if you have 100% more men than the fort, or why I can siege it with fewer men, or why it wouldnt fall faster considering there were so few men guarding the walls. Those ~200 dudes must not have slept for a year if they were guarding a fort's walls with so many men sieging for that long.

Yeah I love no regencies or 0/2/1 rulers or whatever, and no stabhit on ruler death. I re-elected my starting guy twice and let my tradition down to ~70 as well, but he was getting old and I didnt want to re-elect him then have him die. I am playing a custom country with a +1.0 republican tradition but it still tanks it to re-elect a guy.

I might dig through the event files in a bit to find specifics, but I was corrected earlier in the thread and there's apparently a "sweet spot" between ~50-60 RT where you get +10 RT events. I think going below 40 is the danger zone where you're at risk of collapsing into a dictatorship.

But there isn't much penalty to tanking your RT to 50 or so for good rulers, I wouldn't go lower than that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rakthar posted:

Is there any way to dig through the event files / game files and figure out the way the extra risk for monarch death is generated? Is it when you simply make him a general? Or is it when he is actively commanding an army?

I know there's a separate chance to die when fighting in a battle, that one is only going to apply when he's leading. I'm curious about the extra chance of natural death though.

Probably, though I doubt it's in the events files. I'm not really sure, there's probably a post on it on the pdx forums somewhere.

I do know that the higher stats for a ruler/heir, the higher risk of him dying.

Baronjutter posted:

If you're playing a country with +1 tradition (almost essential for a republic) you can pretty much keep electing the same guy until he dies and you'll hover around 55-65 RT. Sometimes a ruler lives a bit too long so you need to retire him early though.
How much does it cost exactly to re-elect someone or does it depend on the length of terms?
Unfortunately there aren't that many nations with RT bonuses. Venice gets a couple from events, Novgorod has the largest bonus as far as I know.

Arrhythmia posted:

If your nation has +legitimacy as an idea, and you switch to a republic, do you get +tradition instead?

Nope, they're different things. Some ideas give both legitimacy and RT so benefit you either way, some are strictly one or the other. Mostly it's Legitimacy bonuses and those do nothing for RT.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rakthar posted:

Well that was the clue I needed. Here's what I found from Reddit, it's a year old, and I'm going to use this until I get evidence to the contrary:

http://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/1wkete/making_a_general_does_raise_death_chance/

I looked through on_actions and didn't see anything for ruler death, I'm guessing that stuff might be hardcoded somewhere.

Looks like most of the events for having heirs die and special new ones born are in Dynastic

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gonbon posted:

Venice has the strongest RT bonuses. After 100 years you should have +0.6 RT/year from two permanent event modifiers (Some time after 1520.) Since I don't think anyone else gets permanent RT modifiers from events.

It's possible (I think?) to get to 0.8 RT/year, but that requires taking a -0.3 hit to your RT/year for ~100 years (~1550-~1650.) And it's not guaranteed to happen since it's a MTTH of 10 years and can only fire within a 20 year span, which would leave you stuck with +0.3 RT/year.

Since we're on the subject, I think the +0.2 RT policies are garbage. If you wanna :sperg: and compare the monarch point cost/benefit, +0.2 RT equates to one "free" re-election every 50 years (for a 4-year election cycle let's just roll with that since it's most common). Compare that relative to the potential MP from re-electing versus getting a fresh 4/1/1:

+0.2 RT policy for 50 years = 600 MP
MP gain from e-electing after 1 term = 144
Re-electing after 2 terms = 288
Re-electing after 3 terms = 384

So, uh, they're a lovely investment.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

Am I able to release a nation and then continue playing as them and have it continue as an ironman game(having started it as an iron man game, of course)?

I am just wondering if it's possible to do something like vassalize Byzantine, feed them all the provinces they need for the rome achievement, annex them, and then release them and continue playing as them.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Most achievements have a not playing as a released nation clause though.

Here's a pretty good list: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Achievement_conditions

If it has the requirement "NOT playing as a released vassal," your strategy isn't going to work. The Basileus achievement has no such restriction, so it's possible.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
A couple of notable things from the beta patch that I haven't seen much discussed:

You now get up to +1 AT from up-to-date, maintained forts which is pretty awesome.

You can now reform your gov't into a Theocracy with Diplomatic + Religious ideas.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arzakon posted:

Anyone noticed whether 1.12 saves are compatible with 1.13 yet?

Yeah seem to be. You have to toggle "show incompatible saves" but my 1.12 saves are working fine so far. There are a few map setup changes that won't be applied.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah forts seem like one of the best ways to turn cash into victories. And now having enough forts at full maintenance gets you a good amount of AT, all the more reason to turtle up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Gonna have to try that out for my first run. Are achievements enabled during Beta patches? Might as well try and go for Master of India while I'm at it.

Yes, you can do achievements with beta version.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Last Emperor posted:

Any thoughts on the beta patch at the moment now the colonisation/reformed bug has been fixed?

I'd probably hop on it, there don't seem to be any other major bugs that have cropped up relative to the live version, and the beta includes a ton of bug fixes.

Probably the biggest changes are buffs in AT from sieges, up to 1.0/year AT from maintaining forts, and the change to development cost calculation. You get +1 Diplomat at King rank gov't and +1 leader at Emperor which is a nice quality of life improvement and once again makes Aristocratic ideas pretty terrible.

Bunch of new NI sets. A few map changes, Tuscany is now Florence (Tuscany is a formable monarchy) and a couple of the other Italian minors now have more varied colors. Sudtirol/Trent is now Venetian culture. Ternate and Tidore (the Moluccan islands) each get +3 goods produced to help them start out.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Looks like you need one up-to-date, fully maintained fort for every 50 development to max out your 1 AT/year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Do you know what the threshold is by any chance? I'm assuming that's the problem and I probably won't release enough stuff to get back under it but it'd be nice to know for future reference.

The decisions are visible before you have all the requirements, or at least they used to be. It's why I'm not sure if they were just taken out or if I simply don't qualify for them anymore.

You have to have <20 provinces.

• Locked thread