Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm tempted to get back into EU4 and pick up some DLC, but not all of it appeals to me. If I pick up some random combination like Res Publica, Art of War, and Common Sense, will there be any problems from missing the others? I'm guessing no, but can't hurt to double-check before I spend the money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Can someone explain to me the mechanics of Poland's successions? I always seem to have an heir I can back, but he always has a weak claim for some reason. Can I improve it? Also, whenever the heir isn't "mine", I have a big yellow flag on my status bar saying I might fall under some other country's influence on succession, but so far successions don't seem to have done anything different than usual. What's up with that?

Also, does anyone have an issue where morale bars are really hard to see on armies that are in battle? If you look closely at this screenshot you can see the morale bars on the fighting armies seem to be a few pixels below where they should be, and that makes them really hard to make out. Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Is there any way to see the details of a war you're not involved in? Things like the wargoal and battle history and stuff. I know you can see the warscore on the diplomacy screen but I can't figure out how to see any more details.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Can someone give me a Dumbass's Guide to Playing in the HRE or something? I tried a game as the Palatinate a few patches back and it never really felt like I was going anywhere. All my other games have been outside the HRE and I haven't bothered with it. What should I be doing if I'm playing one of the smaller princes?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Can someone explain the mechanics of Unlawful Territory and the Imperial Liberation CB to me? I'm trying my first ever ironman game as the Palatinate and I don't want to get my rear end beat by bringing the emperor's wrath down upon me.

Does the emperor demand unlawful territory back when you take any province in the HRE? And does that apply to diploannexing?
Also, being allies with the emperor means they probably won't press the Imperial Liberation CB, right...? :ohdear:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Managed to become Emperor as the Palatinate thanks to some timely bribes and now France is on my doorstep. Okay, I know dealing with them is risky at best, but may as well check out who they're allied with and see if I can maybe--

Oh that's nice, that's just the entirety of western Europe ready to attack me whenever France feels like taking one of my provinces. :stonk: Where the gently caress do I even begin to defend against this?

Fake edit: I went and allied Poland so I'll have someone to throw bodies at France. Turns out they're 1996 ducats in debt :doh:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

The emperor is always a co-belligerent if he gets called by a prince, right? So I'd be able to call in my allies?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So I'm the Emperor as the Palatinate and basically every province I own is going Protestant (along with a majority of the princes in the HRE). It's 1549. What happens if I convert my state religion to Protestant? Do I lose the imperial throne and/or my chance to be elected again? And does anything change on that front if I wait until 1550 and the Leagues start forming?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

How dumb of an idea is it to try to leave the HRE? I finally got enough development as the Palatinate to upgrade to Kingdom, only to find out that regular HRE members can't actually do that (and since I'm Protestant and lost the league war I can't be anything except a regular member). Obviously the emperor will loving hate it, but does it affect relations with other HRE members? Most of my survivability is coming from alliances with other mega-princes.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Is it normal for both me and my enemies to be able to just waltz right through neutral territory during wars? I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible without military access. Is it because I'm an HRE prince and the neutral territory is also part of the HRE?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I really don't understand why the presence of a revolution in Europe causes your prestige to tank. The stab cost modifier and unrest make sense, because your people are getting all sorts of ideas in their head. But why the prestige hit? If the revolution goes on for awhile every European country's prestige drops to -100 and there's barely a thing anyone can do about it.

I basically spent the last 40 years of my Palatinate game sitting in the prestige gutter because Spain went revolutionary and couldn't get out of it. According to the wiki they'd have to get to +1 stability to end the revolution disaster, but they kept going bankrupt every 3 years so their stability was stuck at -3 for decades. I didn't want to ally them because their country was a loving mess, but they were too far away to bother attacking. Was there anything else I could have done?

EDIT: There really needs to be a way to stop endless bankruptcy loops. Shouldn't going bankrupt mean that people won't give you loans anymore?

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 9, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I'm about 70 years into a Venice game and thanks to Trade -> Plutocratic I have more merchants than I know what to do with. So I've got merchants sitting in Ragusa, Wien, Alexandria, and Constantinople all forwarding trade, and one in Venice because there's nowhere else to put him.

There was some talk earlier about how forwarding from Ragusa and Constantinople is bad, because Ragusa has all the land powers loving it up with caravans, and Constantinople only has one forward path. Should I just be collecting in these nodes instead?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Post a screenshot in trade mapmode with your trade tab open and we can give you more specific help
OK.

Is there a more optimal merchant setup than this? I'm not really sure. I took Cyprus but most of my other expansion has been into Italy, so I don't have much land around the eastern trade nodes.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Sistergodiva posted:

So I'm in a big war where Spain is against me. He is allied with the Papal State, who is not in the war. When I check I see that Spain will not join the war I declare against the Papal State, would he join automatically after the war? Or is this a way to snag the Papal State under his nose?
If a nation refuses to join an ally in a war, the alliance breaks. I think AI nations always auto-send defensive calls to arms to their allies, so declaring war on the Papal State would lead to them sending a call to Spain, Spain refusing it, and the alliance ceasing to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I'm about 100 years into a Venice game and the Ottomans are just unstoppable. They've eaten Serbia and Wallachia outright and then they declared war on me. Despite my alliances with Austria-Hungary (they're PU'd) and super-Savoy (they ate Genoa), they still win every battle effortlessly despite being outnumbered 1.5:1.

I'm assuming this is because of their national ideas and the Janissaries. Is there anything I can do to hold off the Ottoman hordes once they get going? I didn't really bother with them much in the early game.

• Locked thread