Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VDay posted:

I always forget how it works because I don't play in the HRE a lot: is the religious league formation a MTTH event after you hit 1550? Or does the first country that reformed need to manually "activate" the league?

I believe it forms after the first elector goes Protestant or reformed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Big Boss's dream is coming true (note the year):

Apparently it is a Norse dream:

That involves time travel.

Honduras has as much economic development as Paris/Istanbul do. The 1.15 pause bug didn't last a long time but man you could do some glorious stuff with it :allears:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I don't understand how you had the patience to drive all your techs to 20 like that. I'm happy I stopped at 12/4/14, just so that I was able to westernize eventually.

I watched TV while clicking the mouse a bunch. I still think the game will end up being a challenge as the Euros will catch up to me eventually as I'm going to spend massive points on coring/developing everything.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Most of that land you conquer won't be giving you any overextension, so just not coring it is a viable option.

It's more the colonizing that I'm concerned about. I think I can take all the Incan land pretty quick. I used the force religion CB to make them all Norse and I'm just now waiting for the cooldown to go back to war and annex them all. I'm also debating if I should completely lock Spain out of South America or wait and have them do some colonizing for me. Right now I can run between 4-5 colonies at once before the exponential cost modifiers make it impossible.

I'm starting to wonder if a world conquest is possible with this game, given how much land I'm going to have and how far ahead I am in tech. Do you get the world conquest achievement for doing it with a custom nation?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wiz posted:

I will be moving on from my position as EU4 project lead (but staying at PDS). I posted a thread about it on the EU4 forums if you're interested in the details.

So this secret project is Vicky III right? :)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I'm trying for the "First Come First Serve" Achievement and I've hit a bit of a snag. The snag? Spain owns everything and is loving huge.

See below:

North America

Canada is allied to me and actually independent as Great Britain got clowned on by me while doing the "For Odin!" achievement. Florida is Spain's colony, Portugese Mexico and Portugese Louisiana are Portugal's. French Canada is France's colony and the rest are all westernized Native American tribes (seriously).

South America

I feel pretty good in South America as I own almost everything and can just wait to take the Spanish and Dutch colonial nations in a few years.

Europe

Wales is my vassal that I'm integrating. But the problem with Spain should be pretty evident (they're massive). Making matters worse, Spain currently has a PU over Portugal and I have no idea how I can take all the land I need without breaking the PU. It says the PU will break on monarch death as Spanish prestige is -85 or so thanks to the war (Spain's monarch is 40ish). Is there any way Spain can regain the prestige and stabilize the PU?

Speaking of war, the war I had with them absolutely killed my manpower. I went from around 150k manpower to what you see there. Thankfully, I was able to grab half of the Caribbean (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, half of Hispanola and half of the small islands), the upper half of Brazil and some random North American provinces but I have no idea what to do to stop them in the next war. Just grinding them down to this was agonizing. I used a Trade Conflict CB as that let me bring in Austria, which I'm now thinking may have been a mistake? Natural allies in France, Burgundy, Milan and the Pope all hate me from what I did to the English. I'm currently allied with Austria, Bohemia and Lithuania. Lithuania said my war with Spain is too far away. Should I drop them?

Given how much time I've put into this run I just don't want to get really close and gently caress it up. I should still be able to pull it off right? Year is 1654.

edit: I also can't rival anyone as my capital is in North America.

edit2: The toughest part of the war was having to wage it in not just 2 but five different theaters: Iberia, Central Europe, North America, Caribbean, South America. I had Spain outgunned but couldn't ever bring everyone to bear at once because I needed to keep armies in all the theaters. I also utterly failed at sinking their navies as they'd get psychic and move right as I was about to engage. Fixing naval combat to be like land combat would be really good...

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 7, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

You don't. Put up some forts on the borders of your empire, and then focus on taking Iberia and achieving your wargoal. When their capital is sieged and they have to rely upon colonial nations to fight (and they'll be stuck on interlocking border forts) you can take time to mop up anything left if you still don't have the warscore to take what you want.

Huh, interesting. I'll give that a try. I just knocked off the Dutch colonies while Austria was busy so they wouldn't join the war. Now I just need to build those forts.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Lol at the guy who can't beat Spain while making more money than Croesus and sharing no land borders with them. Just sink their navies dude, like build 100 heavies and just wreck them. The AI will take a poo poo and die, and you win. If you're having trouble catching their navies, do that thing where you detach your light ships and send them in first to pin down the fleet. Also, you can scout out where their main fleet's at while at peace, so make sure you and them are in the same sea zone when you declare war. Instant naval sneak attack.

I was able to beat them when I did the fort strategy instead of trying to win on 5 fronts at once. The colonial nations couldn't do poo poo and I just wore down the Spanish at home. Right now all their colonial nations are revolting as the last peace deal hit them with -70 prestige. Hoping they win as not having to do that again will be much, much easier.

The good news is for odin! is now done:

Here's what things look like in the Americas now. Spain annexed Portugal, which is rather annoying though.

The big issue I have now is needing tons of admin and diplo points to take everything.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 7, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

Border forts on low development land across a vast empire are going to give less warscore than any single fort in Iberia.

Also the AI looks at tier 6 forts and says "gently caress no" and just sits around and waits. If they do try to siege them down the amount of manpower they lose makes them that much easier to kill over in Europe.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Node posted:

The AI is absolutely awful at managing its manpower. It'll regularly take 5%+ attrition on 60k stacks and not give a poo poo. That is another reason why Defensive is really drat good. Hide behind your forts and wait until he's got no manpower, lots of loans from hiring mercs, and low war enthusiasm. Easy.

The only annoying part being with the new fort mechanic it's very hard to completely wipe out an enemy army. In the latest war I spent forever dancing around because Spain got a 3 star god general who could stack wipe an army of ~40k with an army of only 35k. The only way to beat him was to mass all my troops and have a 3:1 advantage. Previously after beating him once I would've chased him down, killed the army and that would be that but instead the war turned into a grueling 4 year affair as the Spanish forts are now really tough to crack. I picked up Offensive and the next idea is the +20% fort siege which should be a major help. The Austrians ditching me for Spain didn't help either, but thankfully the Ottomans hate Austria enough that they came and helped out. But despite all that I won and here's where I'm at now:

South America

Complete, save for those 2 colonies I still have to build.

North America

North American Minors (those random single provinces in the sea of blue): already gone

Canada: One or two more wars? Not sure if I can get enough warscore in the next one

Cherokee: No longer allied to Spain, should be able to annex in one go when the truce burns off

Florida: One more war against Spain should do it

France/French Canada: Milan just declared war on France so I'm hoping I can grab these provinces during the war.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 8, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

See, isn't this a much more interesting story than "I stack-wiped the enemy army and spent the next year carpet-sieging the country?"

Thank goodness for forts.

Well...yes, it's just annoying as hell when the enemy has a god-general and you can only roll 3 pip weaklings. And when sieges take forever.

Yashichi posted:

Forts are really interesting except for the part where you can walk unimpeded between adjacent forts

and the part where you have to run around chasing 1k stacks that are sieging down all your non-forts in the rear while the big stacks sit on forts. they really should make it so that even captured forts do the auto-capture thing. it'd be a nice quality of life change.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well that was fun. You only see a bug like this once in a forever, so I'm glad I took advantage and made this a little easier on myself. Still was the toughest, most grindy run I've ever done though. Ideas Guy, For Odin and First Come, First Serve all done in a single run, with plenty of time to spare.

Here's the result of my last war with Spain (the 4th overall). Canada would fall a few months later.

The final state of Europe.

This was the toughest war yet. Spain had allied two of my allies (Milan and Lithuania) so I had to go toe-to-toe with more nations I'd built up. Thankfully the Ottomans, Brittany and my new friends Burgundy were more than happy to assist. To thank Burgundy for her help I gave her a nice chunk of Spain.

And yes that is Wales up there in Great Britain. After I got "For Odin" I released Wales and Sweden so I'd get some additional firepower in my wars against Spain.

The achievement notification popped up in the bottom right after I cleared out the Iroquois, the last American nation standing, but I wasn't fast enough to grab the screenshot.

Achievement proof:

Ironman proof:

With that done, I guess it's back to my Albania game. I'm a real glutton for tough games.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah the regencies thing feels like one of the few leftover EU3 mechanics that they still haven't gotten around to fixing, probably (hopefully) because there's so much that needs fixed with monarchy governments that it needs a full dlc.

Fingers crossed it's part of the next one.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The espionage changes sound...okay? I've never done anything in espionage other than fabricating CBs for war, but making it so it no longer costs the full-time use of a diplomat is a good improvement. Curious to see what the 2 new spy actions are.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I just had this happen in my Albania game :stare:

Thanks to my best bro Brandenburg and 8 loans though, this is the end result

Thank god I was the Holy Roman Emperor so I got all the extra bonuses, or I don't think I would've pulled it off. It was very touch and go for a bit with France having conquered almost all of Iberia, but a lucky siege roll gave me Paris and that caused Brandenburg/Poland to start beating up on the French armies instead of sieging.

Not bad when you're going up against the #1 power in the world. I cut France off from further expansion in Iberia and/or vassalizing Spain, restored a bunch of Portuguese cores, grabbed more land for Portugal, Brandenburg and myself, and to top it all off I now have Poland as a lapdog for the rest of the game (unless I gently caress up their liberty desire).

Random PUs are amazing :allears:

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 20, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

8 loans really isn't all that many.

Then I think I must still be traumatized from EU3 where anything more than 0 loans meant you were in deep poo poo and about to spiral into bankruptcy.

Or was that inflation? I forget, it's been a very long time since I played EU3.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jazerus posted:

Well, my latest Ethiopia game has gone down in flames. The Ottomans are never going to be beatable - it's 1660 and they stretch from Hungary to Pakistan. Their armies crush mine when I outnumber them substantially and they have double my force limit.

:negative:

you can do it. use the following strategy

1. ally whoever their rivals are. if you can't set them as a rival, set their interaction to hostile
2. tech and minister up. the +discipline minister is a necessity as is making sure you're at least at parity with the ottomans on military tech, and ideally ahead of them. if you can get ahead of them by 2 or 3 techs you'll be crushing them easily.
3. mercs. so many mercs. you only need them until you beat down the ottomans, the loans are temporary. if you ridiculously blow your budget, just set maintenance to nothing until you're about to go to war, then pass war taxes.
4. if there's any coalition against them try and join it.
5. expand away from the ottomans, you don't need tons of land from them, you just need to blunt them in north africa.
6. if you are decisively winning a war with them, stay in until they have 20 WE and rebel stacks popping across the country. make sure you and/or your allies don't fight the stacks. the goal of this war shouldn't be taking territory, but instead ripping the ottomans apart from the inside out. ideally the ottomans have no army, so make sure to take all their money in a peace deal so they can't raise mercs to put down the rebellions. the ottomans have so many different races and religions in them that if you can beat them down enough they'll pop like a balloon.

if you can seriously weaken the ottomans and keep them from expanding further into africa i think you can pull it off.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 20, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I did it! Albania or Iberia is complete! :dance:

The last war was very anti-climactic. Just had to grab Madiera off of Morocco. Took two more wars with France after my war against them over my PU of Poland. Really once I got Poland under a PU the game was over. The Ottomans fell behind on military tech and were a complete joke to rout again and again. France was never really able to stand up to me again because I stripped off Austria as an ally during the War of Polish Succession.

Europe ended up kinda interesting though. Obviously there's my continent-spaning empire, but Brandenburg has done very well for itself, even if the Dutch are starting to eat into their holdings outside of Prussia. I'm also shocked by how bad Muscovy did. No one ever really bothered with them, but they haven't expanded east at all and are still Muscovy instead of Russia.

Achievement proof:

That has to be one of the more challenging achievement runs I've done. I was close to annihilation a few times but managed to pull it out. France grabbing half of Spain really delayed me and made things a challenge. Plus the War of Polish Succession I had was some of the most fun I've had in an EU4 game. Anyone else here ever do Albania or Iberia? According to the Steam stats it's a rarer achievement than a world conquest (0.5% have a world conquest, 0.4% have Albania or Iberia).

And any ideas now on what achievement I should tackle that isn't something painful like The Three Mountains?

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 22, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

I did it a while back, yeah! We both ended up becoming HRE, too. Very fun achievement!

Skanderbeg is so, so good.

Haha yes he is. Wonder if everyone who's ever done this has become HRE. Seems like if you get big enough you're a natural "outside" pick if the emperor pisses off all the electors, which seems to happen all the time now.

Oh and the 30 years war failed to happen for me too.

If I hadn't seen all the changes they were gonna make to Africa in the next patch I'd do Congo for my next run, but those changes seem to be way more fun. I've never done a game in Asia. How is it/any good achievements to try for if you start in Asia?

edit: Saw you also did "First Come, First Serve" agree with you that the middle of that is incredibly boring and tedious. The end is a lot of fun though.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ThePutty posted:

why do map modders always put in those dumb loving oasis provinces disconnected from everything around it?

who cares about things like "playability" in a video game map! i need to realistically depict the world, even if it results in things that make no sense in a game!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It does, it's super useless.

they should change it so that enforced fleet basing/mil access/trade power/etc don't eat a relations slot. it's way too high a cost and ends up punishing you, instead of the loser of the war.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rakthar posted:

Achievement Chat: I've been backburnering EU4 so I'm ready to dive into Paradox stuff when Stellaris comes out, but it looks like that will be a month+. I'd like to do an achievement run or two, and I'd like suggestions since folks here seem to have done just about every one :)

Here are my requirements, in order:
-Challenging
-Minimize the blobby if possible
-It would be cool if it was outside Europe
-It would be cool if I didn't have to take over 3/4 of the world

So are there any runs that are fun and challenging but the hard part is not the tedium of managing two continents worth of crap?

Albania or Iberia is fun and requires you to kneecap two world powers but doesn't get too tedious.

Byzantium is another obvious choice.

I've heard a Japan game can be good.

One night in Paris is particularly fun although it may be trivial now that you can just take Paris in one war. Do it the hard way where you have to PU France.

Sweden is not overpowered is a fairly leisurely game too.

You can do a Malacca game if you want to try for the trade income related ones.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dibujante posted:

You can't have more than four military ideas, and offensive, defensive, quantity and quality are four military ideas. There's no room.

quality is so bad there's almost no situation in which you want to take it though:

Private to Marshal

+10% Infantry combat ability

Quality Education

+1 Yearly army tradition

Finest of Horses

+10% Cavalry combat ability

Corvettes

+5% Ship durability

Naval Drill

+10% Naval morale

Copper Bottoms

-25% Naval attrition

Massed Battery

+10% Artillery combat ability

Bonus:

+5% Discipline

It has 3 (the naval ones) that are completely useless, and the +1 army tradition is also arguably pretty bad. The only thing worthwhile are the discipline and extra combat ability, but paying 2,800 mil points for 5% discipline is a bad trade-off. additionally, the scenarios in which you would think quality would be the right pick (small nations), it never is because quantity will give you so much extra power you can punch above your weight. to make quality make sense you'd have to strengthen the armies to the point where a stack half the size of your enemy could win, and the bonuses quality gives simply aren't enough.

And this isn't even getting into how there is literally never a reason to take naval. it doesn't even give you extra force limits, which is arguably the only naval stat right now that matters.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 23, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

What's your argument here? I'm curious.

because army tradition decays at 5% of current tradition it's extremely challenging to keep it from bleeding away. not only would you need the bonus army tradition here but you'd also need at least 4 other things to keep it from rolling off. that's simply too much of an investment, unless you specifically want to get lots of tradition for something like "Traditional Player."

adding to that, i feel tradition is most useful in rolling generals, but you need extremely high tradition to see much of a change. To have an average general roll of 8 stars you need to maintain 60% tradition, and that's only twice as many as 0 tradition. A 2/2/2/2 being the average roll for 60% tradition is frankly terrible. you could even end up as bad as 0/0/4/0.

what that table says to me is that realistically you need to be at 80% or so to start rolling gods, and that's just not feasible without a lot of investment into tradition. it bleeds off too quickly.

see here for more info: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Military_leader

it's possible that i'm just completely misunderstanding the breakpoints at which tradition is worth it, but it just doesn't seem that usable unless you've got tons of it, and once you have tons of it, it bleeds off extraordinarily quickly. add to that that it's very hard to gain, and i just don't see a point in focusing on it. it's usually a better call to go for offensive (for fir and shock) or defensive (for maneuver) and get guaranteed pip additions to your generals.

i suppose another addition could be making general rolls less expensive, but since there's so little to spend mil points on, i'm not sure that's a good move to make.

if they reworked tradition so you were basically guaranteed to roll a 2 or 3-star general beyond 50% tradition, it'd make army tradition adds and quality much more of a decent pick. hell, they could make the bonus of quality "generals guaranteed to be at least 2 stars" which would be in line with the goal of the idea while making it strong enough to maybe be worth it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 23, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

YF-23 posted:

Naval is extremely circumstantial and thus a bad pick in like 95% of cases, but in the 5% where it is relevant it's actually pretty strong. Its bonii to heavies and galleys are nothing short of insane.

what's the in-game scenario where you need to pick naval and aren't better suited taking a land-based military idea (or quality if you really need the naval bonuses)? the only one i can think of is if you absolutely need to fight great britain and conduct a landing on the home isles. otherwise i think there are other ways around it that don't require the idea slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koramei posted:

I'm not sure about corruption adding to the power cost of things but I guess we'll see how that works when it actually comes out. Otherwise everything there seems amazing and a pretty major departure from how the game is right now.

Also lots of new possibilities to add to China with those mechanics.

Paradox finally listened to our calls of "China should be represented better" by making the rest of the world like China.

• Locked thread