Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Holothurian posted:

So did they take off the heads to eat, or push the food in a hole somewhere?

I actually don't remember looking around for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

So I gotta ask, and I admit I haven't read the full thread, but have you noticed any weird political trends among the furry community?

Like you mentioned Nazis and how some prominent furs are into bestiality, but like, are Nazis common? More common? Racists? Sexists? ECT?

Holy thread necromancy, batman!

Okay, so the nazi thing is not unknown, though I'd not like to say how much of that is more fetishisation (in both the sexual and non-sexual sense) of the imagery, or people looking to shock and be EDGY AS gently caress. Obviously it's something that's not looked upon well by a lot of members of the fandom. Racism is something that I never really encountered in the fandom, at least in the UK- there are some who I would call 'britain first' types judging from facebook postings etc but it's really not something I've ever heard discussed or talked about at meets or cons. And though the fandom is majority white, there are plenty of black/asian/oriental furries out there.

As for sexism? Well, not so much sexism but there's a fair undercurrent of misogyny that I was aware of- both in terms of attitudes to women and how they're treated. Part of this is I think a result of a toxic mix of young, ignorant gay males and the sort of smelly sperglords that would never be able to get a date if their life depended on it; my other half (now my fiancee- got engaged in April) has many stories to tell of not just being sexually harrassed but also dismissed or treated like crap by furries. At the time she either laughed it off or didn't actually realise how out of order poo poo was, but with reflection and hindsight.. yeah.

Plan Z posted:

Really late to the chat, but I was a cook at a large hotel & conference center and the year we booked both a furry gathering and an anime convention and it owned because of the flood of the complaints. Not from the hotel staff or anything, but from the guests. The gatherings usually rolled into Sunday, which is the biggest day for the hotel, mostly for the brunches. It's where we'd put our best foot out and serve our best food and do up the restaurant really beautifully. The clientele were mostly people who just got out of church and were still in dress clothes drinking their free mimosas and choking down poached eggs. I hated it because it required me to put in long hours both Saturday and Sunday (typically up to about 25 hours altogether with no breaks).

One year when an old woman who didn't know what furries were was on hostess duty because she thought they were sports mascots and thought it would be cute to let them in. That day was worth the laughs when I'd see the new intern at the carving station having to figure out what a guy in a massive red fox costume was asking for using only hand motions or a big purple bear trying desperately to accurately spoon foyot onto his poached salmon while some 70 year-old man waiting behind him gave him the dirtiest look. I went to check out the restaurant to spot a head count, and a few of them asked if I made any of the food and complimented me and asked for a picture and if I said I didn't want to ask one of them for their suit's mask and wear it with my chef coat and hat for that picture I'd be lying through my teeth. I decided it was better for me to decline.

Eventually the hotel had to say "dress code" after enough people complained about being forced to share a buffet line with several Narutos during the yearly anime convention.

Cam or anyone who knows: if you're still reading this thread, do you know a rough price range of how much a fur will typically have to pay out to have a single page of commissioned art (of decent quality) done for them? There was a Goon artist on the Mumble who said she occasionally did pieces and claimed that they paid a lot for them but I forgot to ask how much.

Yeah, you made the right choice in not trying on the head.. they're generally very sweaty and nasty on the inside. The first time I tried a head on it had a very distinct smell that I couldn't place for ages but was somehow familiar.. I then realised eventually it smelled the same as the loaner masks at my old school fencing club, which had been sweated into for years by generations of adolescent boys.

Regarding art? I commissioned a few pieces in my time (as I mentioned way earlier in the thread, I used to be fairly close to half of Blotch, so I have a few painted Kenket originals). I think £40 is the most I ever paid for a piece of art; normally I'd not spend more than about £20 or so on it. But I was good friends with the artist who sold (I believe) the most expensive piece of furry art ever; a work that went for four figures at a charity auction. Now THAT was crazy.

Holothurian posted:

I've never seen anyone eating in suit, unless you count taking on salty snacks in the fursuit lounge to replace lost salts. You do NOT want to get crumbs or stains on your suit (or at least, food stains..), and the suits themselves are so hot I can't imagine actually eating in one without discomfort and difficulty.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Camrath posted:

Such things have existed in the real world since the 90s, the thing is- most furries once you strip away the perversities and hilarities of the fandom are actually pretty boring people.

There's some logic to this. If you were an interesting person, you wouldn't have to dress up to get people to notice you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey OP, I remember you from way back in the day. I'm pretty sure you know me too, though I don't think we talked much directly. I wasn't gonna post because I thought the thread was dead, but welp. :v:

This thread has been quite the rollercoaster of funny and uncomfortable memories. (And some from the OP are still going concerns somehow.)

Also I'm, shall we say, extremely familiar with the four figure art purchase(s) you mentioned :magical:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Data Graham posted:

Hey OP, I remember you from way back in the day. I'm pretty sure you know me too, though I don't think we talked much directly. I wasn't gonna post because I thought the thread was dead, but welp. :v:

This thread has been quite the rollercoaster of funny and uncomfortable memories. (And some from the OP are still going concerns somehow.)

Also I'm, shall we say, extremely familiar with the four figure art purchase(s) you mentioned :magical:

PM'ed you.

Since the last time this thread was active I've drifted even further away from it all emotionally- to be honest as the months and years go by the whole furry experience seems more and more like a bad dream, or a point-of-view show where the main character is someone I no longer identify with. I guess I'm not as angry as I was about my experiences and the wasted years (though I still hold burning hatred for certain members of the group). I was having a long chat about it all with my fiancee a few days ago, and instead of gritting our teeth at everything we experienced we just had to laugh.

And gently caress it, despite the way I've addressed things throughout this thread, there were some good memories that still make me smile. Nights at cons dancing for eight hours straight, the satisfaction I got from navigating over a hundred carpet-wearers through the streets of London, road trips to Germany.. It's really just a shame that so many formative experiences of my young adulthood are tied up with all the negative, disgusting, embarrassing bullshit of the Furry fandom.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Camrath posted:

And gently caress it, despite the way I've addressed things throughout this thread, there were some good memories that still make me smile. Nights at cons dancing for eight hours straight, the satisfaction I got from navigating over a hundred carpet-wearers through the streets of London, road trips to Germany.. It's really just a shame that so many formative experiences of my young adulthood are tied up with all the negative, disgusting, embarrassing bullshit of the Furry fandom.

If it's not too weird to ask, would you care to share some of the good memories and good stuff about the community? Was it just personal pride ("drat i'm good at carpet-wrangling") or just Good Times?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Serperoth posted:

If it's not too weird to ask, would you care to share some of the good memories and good stuff about the community? Was it just personal pride ("drat i'm good at carpet-wrangling") or just Good Times?

Not weird to ask, and I think I've mentioned a few of the particular highlights already- the road trip to Eurofurence 2011 was a real highlight- banter, high speed, mostly good company for the fandom (though there was one creepy gently caress who chugged cans of cold lentil soup at every stop between nibbling on a bulk-size block of cheddar); on our return trip we started playing drinking games at our night-stop. Chugged an entire bottle of absinthe, shocked most of the people there in games of 'never have I ever' and hooked up for the first time with the girl who I'm marrying next year.

RBW 2010 was another good con- it was held in London, I had an executive suite and the theme was 'space Cowboys' so it was basically a constant running nerf-battle interspersed with heavy drinking and dancing. First time I met the fiancée, bodypainted with her (which lead to her ex being convinced we were loving.. Fat chance, she thought I was gay at the time..) and I'd bought ten grams of (then legal) methylone and handed out pills like loving candy- had half the boat party off their faces including most of the con staff. Stupid and irresponsible, but eh.

As for meets rather than cons? If I'm being honest with myself I think most of the pleasure I got in the latter years came from making things happen and the pride there in rather than actual enjoyment of the events. Back in 2000-2001 though the Londonfurs started going en masse (such as we were back then anyway) to a bar/show/club called Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens post-meet. Sort of like the Rocky Horror show with disco and fetish wear and scifi rather than horror and rock. Turned into a disco club after the show, and we'd all go along in makeup (this was prior to Fursuits being a Thing over here). Those were seriously happy times for young me- getting shitfaced and dancing with interesting freaks and feeling awfully grown up for it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on getting engaged!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Congratulations on your engagement! And also on getting some perspective on what you've gone through!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Holothurian posted:

vaping_toriel.jpg

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So, story that is still developing, but apparently there was a recent triple homicide in Fullerton, CA- all the victims and the three arrested perps were all involved in the furry fandom.

Courtesy of Vivisector:

quote:

Fullerton CA. Cops were called by one of 2 young kids in a house (they're safe). Found dead - 2 adult males and one female (mother, stepfather, and a friend of the family). Neighbors reported gunshots.

3 were arrested a day later. Males age 25 and 21 and a 17 yo female. All were charged with murder. All were furries.

Before the cops announced arrests, Twitter had a call out to find the missing teenager. She had some relationship with the 25yo. She is daughter of the deceased mom, who was a furry too. Mom and daughter went to meets together.

Attention goes to the 25yo. He had numerous online accounts with some recent ranting about relationship trouble, a recent photo of a gun magazine, and a mention of psychiatric drugs. There was even a supposed screenshot being heavily shared of a Facebook chat where he admitted planning murder to someone else. The 21yo seems to have military affiliation and the 17yo was rumored to be unstable.

I'm going to do some digging and see what I can't find about this.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-couple-found-killed-home-mourned-furry-community-article-1.2807151

quote:

Furries are people who craft their own anthropomorphic animal personas and dress up as the characters at meet ups, sometimes for sexual situations.

“Love and miss you both Jen and Chris. Forever you will be” in my heart. May rest in peace,” Twitter user and furry Mokie Mutt posted on Twitter along with a photo of an impromptu memorial to the couple.

What a time to be alive.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I don't know which bemuses me more: this or the chlorine gas attack.

Edit: The bemusing is the internal dialogue this sparks in the furman community, not the deaths of two furmen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Front page on CNN, this is big time poo poo now

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
The idea of parents taking their children to fur meetups/cons kind of weirds me out

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Valex posted:

The idea of parents taking their children to fur meetups/cons kind of weirds me out

But there's nothing inherently deviant/sexual about the fandom, right? Right?

I mean, all a kid sees is some really sexy cartoon animals drooling on one another and making uncomfortable noises.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Valex posted:

We had that happen a few times at London meets (normally with 16 year olds or the /really/ autistic
ones). It always weirded me out a bit.

Oh, and when I ran the Birmingham scene there was one girl who kept turning up with her five year old (the kid had her own suit) until we finally got her to understand that a pub full of hosed up weirdos was no place to bring a kid.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Valex posted:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Camrath posted:

So, story that is still developing, but apparently there was a recent triple homicide in Fullerton, CA- all the victims and the three arrested perps were all involved in the furry fandom.

How do you call this in the furdom?

Furder?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

am i considered a furry if i grunt and roar during sexual intercourse tia

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nurel posted:

am i considered a furry if i grunt and roar during sexual intercourse tia

Only if you call it yiffing, and at least in your head you're loving a horse. I'm not an expert tho.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i dont call it anything i consider it a flaw, motherfucker

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Vic posted:

Murrder Most Howl

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Vic posted:

Furder?

Murrder.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

This one is the best.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Camrath since you're still around:

Imagine you have a kid and in the dystopian future we're in Furries are a common sight everywhere. Now the kid thinks this is like really cool and is convinced they're in fact a neon werewolf mixed with a platypus.

How do you approach that situation?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mass furder.

Massafur.

Furslaughter.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Vic posted:

Camrath since you're still around:

Imagine you have a kid and in the dystopian future we're in Furries are a common sight everywhere. Now the kid thinks this is like really cool and is convinced they're in fact a neon werewolf mixed with a platypus.

How do you approach that situation?

How the hell do you think? 'Yeah, I used to be involved with this. You're not allowed to hang out with these people and you're not an animal.'

Nurel posted:

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge

This is also quality

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Camrath posted:

How the hell do you think? 'Yeah, I used to be involved with this. You're not allowed to hang out with these people and you're not an animal.'

Reminder that Vic is that weirdo who kept trying to clumsily trap you into supporting his obsession with the idea that furries are often pedophiles using the suit to get close to children. I mention it only because I didn't know about this thread till recently and read through it only a couple months ago, so Vic's creepiness might be fresher in my mind than yours.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

BobHoward posted:

Reminder that Vic is that weirdo who kept trying to clumsily trap you into supporting his obsession with the idea that furries are often pedophiles using the suit to get close to children. I mention it only because I didn't know about this thread till recently and read through it only a couple months ago, so Vic's creepiness might be fresher in my mind than yours.

Hahaha, I was also gonna comment on Vic's strange posts about kid-furry relations itt

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Yup that's me. But note that I'm trying to trap a grown man not a child.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

BobHoward posted:

You're right, I'd let the past creepiness slip from my mind.

Vic posted:

Yup that's me. But note that I'm trying to trap a grown man not a child.

And now I'm forcibly reminded. Jesus, get a new hobby dude. When the former furry isn't the designated weirdo in the conversation, you're doing something wrong.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i'd say give the drat kid some leverage in this

show him how its done, pass that torch dont put it out

let him in on how canines and felines actually do it, y'know

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
What you should do is go full-blast on being supportive of your child's hobby until you embarrass them into quitting it imo

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Kobold eBooks posted:

What you should do is go full-blast on being supportive of your child's hobby until you embarrass them into quitting it imo

That's the route my parents took. Didn't work out so well. (Or at least they were fully supportive of it for a very long time; I don't think the second part of that plan was their intention though.)

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So does that make your folks proto furries?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Big Willy Style posted:

So does that make your folks proto furries?

I'll answer that in earnest.. Perhaps? My mother always was a huge fan of mice, and had a boyfriend in uni (back in the late 60s) who asked her to wear mouse makeup a few times (which tbh I could have done without knowing), and my dad identified with lions (though not in a 'fursona' sort of way). So I think the base traits might have been there on some levels. But I think it's more that they're both pretty tolerant people and open to new ideas and alternative things- they likewise didn't bat an eyelid when my little brother became what I can only describe as a private-school wigga for some years during his teens. I'm sure they had their doubts and concerns privately, but they always went out of their way to be supportive of our interests when we were growing up.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Camrath posted:

My mother always was a huge fan of mice, and had a boyfriend in uni (back in the late 60s) who asked her to wear mouse makeup a few times

Was his name John Steinbeck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Camrath posted:

I'll answer that in earnest.. Perhaps? My mother always was a huge fan of mice, and had a boyfriend in uni (back in the late 60s) who asked her to wear mouse makeup a few times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts

• Locked thread