Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Is there much crossover between furries and fetishes like that? I can't imagine every single person is into crazy stuff and the like, but it seems that there's more visibility of furries who are also into vile stuff rather than uh, non-furries who are into vile stuff?

You still get the non-furry equivalents, such as paraphilic infantilism which of loving course has a full Wikipedia page. Those people typically show up in programming on TLC or Discovery Channel. I wonder if the lack of public display comes down to the lack of anonymity that a fursuit provides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

You just brought phylogenetics to a babyfur fight.

I research evolutionary biology and I never anticipated reading the word "phylogenetics" in this context. Thank you.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jiffypop45 posted:

I remember with the furries I met there were a reasonably sizable group of them that claimed a "hybird" fursona. As in ligers (lion/toger) wolger (wolf/tiger), etc... I can't think of any interesting ones at the momment. However I was curious if you ever ran across any especially odd hybrids.

This lovely, uh, thing was created by a friend of mine. Despite all my attempts to socialize her in high school, after we graduated she dove right down the furry rabbit hole. I mostly blame her parents, she grew up overly sheltered out in a very rural area and they held her on a tight metaphorical leash to stay home and never aspire to do anything with her life. She's currently using her BA in Anthropology to stock the freezers at Walmart alongside her mother.

Edit: which raises an interesting question: how many furries out there were just naturally socially awkward despite the well intentions of their families, versus how many came from unusual/dysfunctional home situations? It seems we've seen both in this thread already.

TunaSpleen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 19, 2015

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"More prosaically, SciBat – who's real name is Gavin, a computer programmer from Hither Green – has thinning hair tied into a ponytail and wears an ill-fitting shirt covered in psychedelic patterns."

What a flattering description of someone to post online for the entire world to see.

How does it work, a bunch of people in fursuits meeting at a bar? Do they have to remove the heads to order a drink, or yell loudly? I bet those heads muffle all sound like crazy and make social interactions difficult.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After attending an anime convention last weekend I made the mistake of accepting any and all friend requests that came my way, thinking "everyone was super friendly, what can go wrong?" Cue the brony who friended me because I uploaded some pics of MLP cosplayers in my album and decided to spend the next hour badgering me about my opinion of his fanart shipping his two favorite characters. Then when I mentioned I saw a little girl dressed as one of the main character ponies (it was obviously a pre-made Halloween costume) he went on a rant about how she did it wrong and she should have gone as one of the little kid characters because she was too young to have wings or something idiotic like that. You know how Facebook's sidebar shows recent activity of your friends? This guy spent the rest of the day threatening to boycott the show if the writers ruined his headcanon cartoon romance. Holy poo poo, I'll take the furries instead.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason why some fursuits have flat-out terrible color schemes? The typical grey and white husky dog is okay, or even a purple fox with a white tummy and paws isn't burning my retinas, but who the hell sinks a small fortune into a cappuccino-brown-and-lime-green cat and thinks "Yes, this is good, this is how I want the world to see me"? It makes me suspect that there's a higher rate of colorblindness in the furry population, except many of them are commissioning someone else to do it.

I also need to know if this guy with the 30-lb. tail is just weird or if there's an entire subfetish of enormous body parts.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know about weird poo poo like inflation and vore, I meant like just the really big tail, which is oddly specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with badges? I see they come up a lot with fursuit sales. Is it just a picture of the character, and doesn't that seem redundant having a picture on you of what you already are supposed to be?

• Locked thread