Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Camrath posted:

Furry art is a media; it's ultimately what the fandom is based around, for better or for worse. Really, the two fandoms are pretty similar from all that I've seen- it's just that one is larger than the other.

I'm not interested in moral high-ground one way or another. I loving loathe anime as an art style and a fandom, and I don't need convincing that actually it's all amazing, or parts of it are excellent, or whatever. My life is happily anime-free, has been for 33 years (barring occurrences I've already described) and god-willing will remain so until the day I die. This is not a question of morals, but one of taste.

Are you perhaps aware of what is known as 'hyperbole'? I'm well aware that anime isn't all loli or whatever the gently caress weird name the paedo-poo poo is given. In the same way that I hope, most people are well aware by now that furry is not entirely filled with dogfuckers or whatever. I've responded reasonably (I believe) to every accusation and insult thrown towards my past lifestyle and indeed my person in this thread so far- if you (plural) are so deeply offended by my dislike of anime, perhaps you should look at why that is?

Or, you know, we could stop talking about the loving thing, which has little to no relation to the topic of this thread in the first place.

lmao

Citrus Sky posted:

How common is it for furries to take on the dietary preferences of their fursonas? For example, a rabbit who becomes vegetarian, or a lion who refuses to eat anything but rare steak.

This was a thing for a while in the late-90s mid-00s called 'lifestyling' that also sometimes included ditching shoes forever and living in the woods.

TunaSpleen posted:

"More prosaically, SciBat – who's real name is Gavin, a computer programmer from Hither Green – has thinning hair tied into a ponytail and wears an ill-fitting shirt covered in psychedelic patterns."

What a flattering description of someone to post online for the entire world to see.

How does it work, a bunch of people in fursuits meeting at a bar? Do they have to remove the heads to order a drink, or yell loudly? I bet those heads muffle all sound like crazy and make social interactions difficult.

Close, really. People get together in a bowling alley/bar/someone's house, sometimes a bunch of those people disappear into the bathroom and come out in suits. They either take off the heads or they have a friend they stick close to who can translate for them, depending on how nuts they are bout their personal fursuit rules. It is often really awkward and tends to draw weird looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I unfortunately don't have any crazy stories, what few cons I went to I tended to just hang out with people I knew and they tended to be relatively grounded folks with a love of booze.

I can tell you that it's a common thing to run into an entire floor of the hotel that smells like poo poo due to the particular strain of furries that love to go in groups.

I can also tell you that they started adding, in addition to soap in the dealer's den, pleas to people to shower during the opening and closing ceremonies of the con, as well as most panels.

I can ALSO tell you that there will always be someone's old DDR setup in whatever sweaty room they've dedicated to video games, and on the opposite side of the room will always be Smash Bros. And it will always be the louder of the two.

Furries love them some Smash Bros. :shrug:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Lord Girlyman posted:

In addition to the bestiality and alleged kid-diddling, how prevalent are Bad Dragon products at these conventions? Have you ever seen a horse-dragon-owl-fairy furman with with the matching Bad Dragon phallus hanging out of his zipper?

Additionally, are there people openly selling obvious fetish gear/yiffing aids?

Fetish gear is usually on the list of things that will get security at a con to yell at you these days, but there was a time where people would do just that.

Usually on their ugly-looking huge-boobed fursuit that had Bratz eyes and giant pouty lips.

There is usually a Bad Dragon booth smack dab either in the corner or in the center of the dealer's den, and it's usually behind a partition or a set of curtains where they check your badge to see if you've got a minor sticker before they let you in.

Surprisingly responsible, but it's still all over the goddamn place more or less.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Lord Girlyman posted:

What's the single most exotic piece of hardware you have seen sold at one of those booths? And while we're at it: what is the most exotic piece of hardware you've seen being toted around by a furman?

How common is it to see a fine young fellow walking around with a realdoll/inflatable dressed up like his 12 year old anime waifu?

A dildo that had a port for an air pump.

The most exotic thing I've seen someone toting around openly was just a big dildo, really. I didn't look too hard, too busy with booze and video games.

Not really, but I did see someone being Talked To Sternly because he was walking around with a blowup doll shaped like one of the my little ponies.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

constantinople posted:

I knew a kid who was a confurvative during my year of being pre-med. There were a lot of conservatives in my health sciences colleges, and his major reasoning was that he was Catholic and hated abortion. I was apparently the first person he was comfortable "coming out" to. He was really into symphonic music, and last I heard he had a boyfriend who was also into classical music. So they're not all bad.

Ah yes, because all classical music is pure and good and no classical musician was ever liked by bad people.

Lord Girlyman posted:

That port was likely for a pressurized imitation (or real) semen spray. Did that coincide with that massive bull semen theft?

Also, for any of you fine furmen, since your community seems to be infested with various kinds of horrible right-wing folks, is there a sizable subgroup of Christian furries? There seems to be a whole poo poo ton of christian-themed furry art floating around the worst parts of the internet.

Finally, would anybody like to take a crack at the perception that Sonic the Hedgehog is some kind of ungodly gateway drug to the furry lifestyle.

I asked, it was for an air pump. I don't know for sure, I've never bothered to inspect a whale-dick-shaped dildo in detail.

There IS a subgroup of Christian furries, and it's really just as funny as the non-furry Christian insanity on the internet. More mascot eyes, more or less.

As far as Sonic being some awful gateway drug, well, it's a convergence of 'funny animals', extreme amounts of anime and video games that makes it as potent as it is, and it is oh-so-potent from the trends I've seen.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

To be fair, a lot of them seem to be castigating the rest for being so drat socially inept

e: a lot more seem convinced that this is some sort of betrayal on the cereal mascot's part.
And then there's this one guy who seems convinced that because of Zootopia furries are now mainstream and Tony should get on with the times or be left behind.

Furries have been slowly getting more self-aware and self-policing over the years, but it's too little far too late.

And I've seen the tweet you were talking about, I'm pretty sure he was calling Tony the tiger old news because all of the furries have been creepin' up on Zootopia for the past while or so.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Vic posted:

How do you call this in the furdom?

Furder?

Murrder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

What you should do is go full-blast on being supportive of your child's hobby until you embarrass them into quitting it imo

• Locked thread