Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Vic posted:

No that's alright I know I'm asking really personal questions. You're really honest about the whole thing so I'm digging. No offense.

It relates to your comment about how close these communities overlap. Every single thing you so far said could apply to any aspect of what I´d consider a "nerd" in a slightly pejorative sense. People obsessing about toys, shows, games meant for much younger people.
It's completely okay to pretend you're a wolf if you're a kid, but starts to get weird when you should get kinda tired of those and seek more interesting stuff. That's why people frown on manchildren in general.

And according to your take on furries, there are actual horsefuckers but otherwise it's manchildren pretending they're lions or wolves or whatever.

So how's this different enough from being an ex cosplayer, or anime nerd, or other stuff that you'd generally kinda leave behind in your 30s as "being active member of"? Why the pain and anger? Unless that's unrelated.

I don't want to put words in Cam's mouth, but it seems like the bad feelings really came from how bad the bad people were, how well he treated their badness because of their shared interests, and his role facilitating their behavior in organizing events. Or at least that's how I read it
I think a good majority of people here have an analogous experience to delving too deep into a fandom and seeing the darker side of the people that you are associating yourself with, but I doubt that many people have had leadership roles in those fandoms and or have spent more than a decade in them.

What are you going to do with your furry stuff now? Also, what is the overlap between furry and LARP communities? In America at least, the LARP people seem to the worst of the MMORPG crowd mixed with Renfaire and D&D washouts, how did you get into that scene?

E: I should probably refresh before posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Camrath posted:

Dude, you can put words in my mouth any time. Because you just said in two lines what took me multiple loving paragraphs and a godwin to try and get across.

With regards my furry stuff, how do you mean? Aside from the hyena suit, which lives in J's office together with her suits and stuff, I don't really have that much costume gear except for a few ratty old tails, an airbrush and a load of bodypaints. Most of those have been repurposed for LARP costume at one time or another.

Furry/LARP overlap? It exists, but not to the extant that you'd imagine. Over here LARPers tend towards being somewhat older than furries- I know multiple second-generation LARPers. Also, it's far more of a hobby rather than an alternative lifestyle; most though by no means all LARPers I know are heterosexual, live pretty normal if somewhat geeky lives, are just regular guys who like to get together in a field four or more times a year, drink mead, talk in silly accents and beat each other up with rubber weapons. LARP is something you /do/, rather than something you /are/, in other words. I got into it initially through simple curiousity. I played a lot of D&D at university and several of my friends were active in the Lorien Trust, the biggest and (I believe) longest running system over here. My housemate (who at the time lived in Belgium) was also involved in running systems out there and his stories really got me intrigued. So once I finally got my driving licence, we ended up checking out the LT back in 2006, had an amazing time and have stuck around there since.

LARP isn't perfect. There are still weirdos, creeps and idiots. However the percentages are much lower, closer to normal life. And there's the added bonus that if someone is being a twat, you can hit them with a sword until they go away.

Oh, it's cool that you found the chill nerds, and a way to hit the bad ones haha. My school's LARP club was made of such obnoxious nerds that it killed my interest, but I may look at what's going on in my college's group, since I have been looking for a less expensive nerd scene than MTG and a more social one than LoL.

As far as the furry stuff goes, my friends who do cons, meets, and tourneys all have a bunch of momentos from each one, be it gencon dice from each year they visited or a nazgul wine holder or whatever little things caught their eye at the time. Or were you not as big on that stuff?

• Locked thread