Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I guess it's possible that Bison and Nash's parry work on normals in this build but aren't intended to? That just seems like a really weird thing to lie about, especially with video proof to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Is Zangief confirmed?

His inclusion completely determines my interest in this game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Madmarker posted:

Is Zangief confirmed?

His inclusion completely determines my interest in this game.

No.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Put both Hugo and Gief please.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Sarchasm posted:

I guess it's possible that Bison and Nash's parry work on normals in this build but aren't intended to? That just seems like a really weird thing to lie about, especially with video proof to the contrary.

Where has Nash's thing worked on normals in videos? My understanding was that it could cancel projectiles and it worked as a normal attack so you could hit people with it, but it didn't have any parry property.

From Combofiend (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/11/street-fighter-v-new-battle-system-details/)

Ryu uses his senses to “see” the opponent’s next attack and parries it accordingly. All attacks (high, low, mid) and projectiles can be parried if timed correctly. Multi hitting attacks can also be parried with the correct timing.

Nash reaches out and absorbs any normal projectile coming his way. If close enough to the opponent, Nash can absorb their life force, causing damage.

M.Bison uses his Psycho Power to absorb any normal projectile or attack coming his way.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
edit: nevermind

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

interrodactyl posted:

why are you purposely posting false info

combofiend said you can recreate moment 37

nash and bison can both use their vskills on normals which you would know if you had watched videos or even just the clip posted earlier in this thread

I think you've worded that incorrectly, at worst I'm naively posting info from an article that got it wrong, but I thought Ryu could only parry EX moves at best, whereas Critical Arts couldn't? It's only been about 24 hours since the information has come out, so forgive me if I got something mixed up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Periodiko posted:

Where has Nash's thing worked on normals in videos? My understanding was that it could cancel projectiles and it worked as a normal attack so you could hit people with it, but it didn't have any parry property.

I thought I'd seen Nash parry a normal but I guess I was mistaken. Also if Bison's V-Skill is supposed to work on normals then I guess it's working as intended! I thought it was only an anti fireball move, but I guess that means he would have a really lovely V-Skill against guys like Dudley.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't think Nash can parry normals with his v-skill. I haven't seen it happen in the videos I've watched at least. Bison definitely can parry normals with his v-skill though.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY loving PARRIES AAAAAA

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I get the feeling that Bisons 'parry' will be pretty easy to blow up if they try to use it against normals too liberally.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Ixiggle posted:

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY loving PARRIES AAAAAA

Lmao

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I hope gief's v-skill ends up turning him into Mecha Gief where he walks forward into fireballs. Or maybe they'll give him something A3 V-ism where he could grab people out of blockstun for free.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

uncleKitchener posted:

I hope gief's v-skill ends up turning him into Mecha Gief where he walks forward into fireballs. Or maybe they'll give him something A3 V-ism where he could grab people out of blockstun for free.

Maybe they could give him that weird flying punch from MvC2 as an anti-air? I don't know what he got in Omega other than that weird kick.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Or give him anti-air grab.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Gief's V-Skill will be a lead pipe thrown to him by his tag-team partner

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

If they're going to make Just For Men M. Bison and Zombie Charlie, they can at least go full mecha with Zangief and make Mecha Gief the cannon Gief in SFV.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wonder if any of the SF4 characters are coming back. They never seemed that popular and that character poll from before cements that pretty hard for everyone not named Juri.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I would much rather have Alex in the game than Hugo. Hugo is cool and all but he never seems to be dynamic enough to not get ripped apart by any character with zoning options and without focus dash cancels things would be even more difficult for him.
Also I hope they don't put too much stock in the Japanese fan favorites because if they do it's just gonna end up being Arcana Heart Featuring Ryu.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I would much rather have Alex in the game than Hugo. Hugo is cool and all but he never seems to be dynamic enough to not get ripped apart by any character with zoning options and without focus dash cancels things would be even more difficult for him.
Also I hope they don't put too much stock in the Japanese fan favorites because if they do it's just gonna end up being Arcana Heart Featuring Ryu.

Why are you assuming that Hugo will play exactly like USF4 Hugo and not have any new mechanics to deal with zoners?

Hugo was actually quite a strong character in 3rd Strike, for a while recently Japan bumped him up to be the lone occupant of B+ tier (above a sizable portion of the cast). If he were actually done by a competent team instead of the monkeys-on-typewriters that made USF4 then he could be excellent.

Also, Alex does not deliver a pure grappling experience.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I wonder if any of the SF4 characters are coming back. They never seemed that popular and that character poll from before cements that pretty hard for everyone not named Juri.
Juri is the most likely SF4 character to return for sure. Second place is a tie between Abel, Rufus and Poison for me. Which is a shame, because I think Gouken is the best character introduced in SF4.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I would much rather have Alex in the game than Hugo.
Hugo is fun tho! Never liked to play Alex.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Doggboat posted:

Juri is the most likely SF4 character to return for sure. Second place is a tie between Abel, Rufus and Poison for me. Which is a shame, because I think Gouken is the best character introduced in SF4.

It's probably either Juri or Viper.

I'd rather have Juri over Viper, but then again I'd rather have tuberculosis over either of them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Doggboat posted:

Hugo is fun tho! Never liked to play Alex.

That's because losing isn't very fun.

Out of the SF4 cast, I'd put money on Juri being in. After that, it's a toss-up between Abel and Viper. I'm guessing the roster won't be any larger than 20 characters, and we're not going to see more than 2 SF4 entrants.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Viper seems like a p. safe bet

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

People curious about the speed of the game would probably be interested in this comparison video, combos seems very close to their sfiv speeds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnBzIi5nchE

Also yikes putting the games side by side really shows off the updated graphics

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the graphical update and art style for SFV.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

teagone posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the graphical update and art style for SFV.

SFIV looks so dumb and cartoony in comparison. Some of the lighting looks a little odd, but that is to be expected at this point in time

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well the speeds are sfiv levels so this passed my bare minimum bar of speed to buy this game, gj capcom.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ashtarath posted:

SFIV looks so dumb and cartoony in comparison. Some of the lighting looks a little odd, but that is to be expected at this point in time

I was going to complain mildly about how dreary V looks, but then I realized it was in the British stage. :uk: I really like how dynamic the lighting is from stage to stage, thinking about it. The fact that the SF4 parts were in the brightly-lit Training Stage also doesn't help.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really like the new look whenever I look at like like Ryu and Chun. I always feel like them looking like not as cartoony as they always have doesn't look good, then I look at Charlie and Bison who are really loving cartoony looking in this new style and I like the style. The lighting on the china and london stages are pretty hosed, tbh. China's too dark and has too many washed out colors and London's got a lot of like... no color and seems too bright. It feels like they're trying to fit SF more to the modern style of video games, but it really doesn't work for SF especially with FrankenCharlie and Bison's toothy loving grin.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bhsman posted:

I was going to complain mildly about how dreary V looks, but then I realized it was in the British stage. :uk: I really like how dynamic the lighting is from stage to stage, thinking about it. The fact that the SF4 parts were in the brightly-lit Training Stage also doesn't help.

The Chinese restaurant/bus stage has a nice vibrance to it imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKA0lZ4hubg&hd=1

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't really like the new look whenever I look at like like Ryu and Chun. I always feel like them looking like not as cartoony as they always have doesn't look good, then I look at Charlie and Bison who are really loving cartoony looking in this new style and I like the style. The lighting on the china and london stages are pretty hosed, tbh. China's too dark and has too many washed out colors and London's got a lot of like... no color and seems too bright. It feels like they're trying to fit SF more to the modern style of video games, but it really doesn't work for SF especially with FrankenCharlie and Bison's toothy loving grin.

I think they're trying to lend the characters' ethnicities to their designs more, which I think looks good

also, I really like the design for their moves and everything. it's as though you can tell everybody has a different source of their powers, rather than everybody just shooting particle effects at each other

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

bhsman posted:

I think you've worded that incorrectly, at worst I'm naively posting info from an article that got it wrong, but I thought Ryu could only parry EX moves at best, whereas Critical Arts couldn't? It's only been about 24 hours since the information has come out, so forgive me if I got something mixed up.

sorry i was mean earlier

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

teagone posted:

The Chinese restaurant/bus stage has a nice vibrance to it imo:

Yeah that stage is clearly reaching the final points of polish, Im kind of getting sick of looking at it but only due to lack of variety before this point.
Super vibrant and the characters pop out really nicely whereas in the london stage its a little flat at the moment

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Cabbagepots posted:

Hugo was actually quite a strong character in 3rd Strike, for a while recently Japan bumped him up to be the lone occupant of B+ tier (above a sizable portion of the cast).

3rd strike Hugo is awful, being marginally better than true garbage-tier characters like Twelve, Sean, and Q does not make him "quite a strong character". He's almost certainly better in SF4 than he is in 3rd strike.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

After rewatching that battle system trailer I gotta say I like how short and sweet everyone's Supers seem to be. After the last game had all these super long Ultras I'm happy just to see something shorter that gets me back in the game faster.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

interrodactyl posted:

sorry i was mean earlier

It's cool. :glomp:

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Periodiko posted:

3rd strike Hugo is awful, being marginally better than true garbage-tier characters like Twelve, Sean, and Q does not make him "quite a strong character". He's almost certainly better in SF4 than he is in 3rd strike.

Even though he has a lot of players that beast with him?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

bhsman posted:

There is a video of Ryu parrying all of another Ryu's Shinku Hadoken. On the video the guy said the tough part was timing the first parry then he could just mash out the rest during blockstun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

lamentable dustman posted:

There is a video of Ryu parrying all of another Ryu's Shinku Hadoken. On the video the guy said the tough part was timing the first parry then he could just mash out the rest during blockstun

That's pretty insane, if true. Almost makes me wish such a potentially powerful defensive ability wasn't relegated to a single character. :(

• Locked thread