Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think it's okay for a white person to do black person things as long as they don't pretend like they are not white, completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

Would animals even know what diseases means?

They may not be up on germ theory (I dunno, never attended a bear med school) but animals are definitely able to pick up on when something isn't quite right.

A non-bear chilling out around them like it ain't know thang when anything else would at least be a bit tense probably triggered red flags in bear brains even if they'd never seen a dude before.

Source: I'm a transbearologist.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im a pygmy

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
oinkoink..bewre my blowdrat

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Race is a physical thing. It's genetics, not a construction. The way it's handled in society results in constructed situations and hierarchies, but your ethnicity or race is an innate, physical thing. That's why it's important to something like your medical history.

Gender dysphoria is a legit medical condition, and because we don't have the proper technology and knowledge to prevent or cure it internally, the current ethical treatment is hormone therapy, reassignment surgery, and education of people when dealing with those afflicted by it. No, a trans person will never be a true, 100% physical member of the gender they want to be, but a close enough approximation exists to where people who are not dicks should treat them that way for their well-being.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

sinking belle posted:

I think it's okay for a white person to do black person things as long as they don't pretend like they are not white, completely.

But why not. If say Eminem wanted to become black, what logical reason is there to prevent him from being black. You could actually argue that aside from his skin color and facial structure, he already is black.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Shadoer posted:

But why not. If say Eminem wanted to become black, what logical reason is there to prevent him from being black. You could actually argue that aside from his skin color and facial structure, he already is black.

Culture and ethnicity are not the same thing.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

natetimm posted:

Culture and ethnicity are not the same thing.

what are u today? atm im a pygmy *vanishes into bulrushes*

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

natetimm posted:

Race is a physical thing. It's genetics, not a construction. The way it's handled in society results in constructed situations and hierarchies, but your ethnicity or race is an innate, physical thing. That's why it's important to something like your medical history.

Gender dysphoria is a legit medical condition, and because we don't have the proper technology and knowledge to prevent or cure it internally, the current ethical treatment is hormone therapy, reassignment surgery, and education of people when dealing with those afflicted by it. No, a trans person will never be a true, 100% physical member of the gender they want to be, but a close enough approximation exists to where people who are not dicks should treat them that way for their well-being.

But again we don't actually check someone if they were somehow "genetically born one gender, but somehow appear to be another gender", we just check if they want to do it through a psychologist and we then give them the surgery. It's basically on the honor system as it is.

Arguably if you two black parents had a white child because of a distant white ancestor and won the genetic lottery, and that child was raised in a black culture, why not let them considered black and have a procedure to look the part?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Shadoer posted:

But again we don't actually check someone if they were somehow "genetically born one gender, but somehow appear to be another gender", we just check if they want to do it through a psychologist and we then give them the surgery. It's basically on the honor system as it is.

Arguably if you two black parents had a white child because of a distant white ancestor and won the genetic lottery, and that child was raised in a black culture, why not let them considered black and have a procedure to look the part?

Gender dysphoria is something you're born with. Nobody is born intrinsically wanting to be another race.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

natetimm posted:

Gender dysphoria is something you're born with. Nobody is born intrinsically wanting to be another race.

wrong.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i love how in pgymgy culture the breeze lashes ur chodey dick underneath the loincloth...find that anywhere i socalled white culture. really this chode is actually a vagina of some sort though, imo

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Orkin Mang posted:

i love how in pgymgy culture the breeze lashes ur chodey dick underneath the loincloth...find that anywhere i socalled white culture. really this chode is actually a vagina of some sort though, imo

Counterpoint: Kilts.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dethkon posted:

He's just having a bit of fun at the expense of armchair-activist indentity politics "liberals" being hypocritical. I think it's funny too, because those guys are annoying.

This.

This story is endlessly amusing to me because of the squirming and mental/philosophical contortion it is leading to among "indentity politics liberals" as dethkon calls them. Especially so because of the timing. Normal boring rear end republican voting middle Americans really actually do not care at all about Bruce Jenner becoming a woman. We harbor no ill will, we basically (1) heard about it, (2) though "that's odd," and (3) immediately proceeded to move on with our lives. But we weren't allowed to, because annoying loving American liberals would not shut the gently caress up about it. Parading her around, hailing her as a "hero," wall-to-wall coverage and commentary over this bull-poo poo non-story for one purpose - to rub our noses in it for their own enjoyment, because they actually believe all of their own horse-poo poo about us being horrible, awful, hateful people.

Then in the ultimate case of cosmic justice, these annoying shits IMMEDIATELY get hit with this story, and are faced with the lose-lose choice of having to make fools of themselves by either (a) doing a complete 180 and making all the opposite arguments and deriding all their own positions they just spent weeks spouting at us, or (b) actually defending this deranged lunatic.

I find it all hilarious.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*gallops away on tiny hippo*

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Shadoer posted:

I don't want to live in the cuckoo bananas world you're imagining.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
having just finished my poetry slam poem generator program for osx, im branching out to make a program that perfectly synthesises randomly genreated neurology factoids with the language of personal opinions generating a seamless stream of v convincing syntax for posts wrt identity in osx, on my adorable tiny mud compter with peanutshell keyboard and widdle banana spacebar

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

natetimm posted:

Well we aren't testing everyone who wants to be transgendered for "Gender Dysphoria" are we? As far as the system works, it's treated as a choice. And really who's to say people don't intrinsically want to be another race? I don't think a study has ever been done.

Also, if someone does want to, what real reason is there to prevent them other than it makes people feel unsettled?

RaceBannon posted:

I don't want to live in the cuckoo bananas world you're imagining.

Really? Cause in theory #transracial is a feature of a "post-racist" world, as in a world where race doesn't matter. This is actually what the push for race not to matter is actually working towards, albeit it seems they didn't consider that possibility.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadoer posted:

Well we aren't testing everyone who wants to be transgendered for "Gender Dysphoria" are we? As far as the system works, it's treated as a choice. And really who's to say people don't intrinsically want to be another race? I don't think a study has ever been done.

Also, if someone does want to, what real reason is there to prevent them other than it makes people feel unsettled?

Really? Cause in theory #transracial is a feature of a "post-racist" world, as in a world where race doesn't matter. This is actually what the push for race not to matter is actually working towards, albeit it seems they didn't consider that possibility.

this made me well up with tears...than u : ) beautiful post we need more people like u. i feel like uve freed me to reach for the stars

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Shadoer posted:

There's an entire battery of tests and interviews you have to do with medical professionals to actually transition. We "test" for it as much as we are able to in our current state.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

natetimm posted:

There's an entire battery of tests and interviews you have to do with medical professionals to actually transition. We "test" for it as much as we are able to in our current state.

Alright but a number of states, Canada, and elsewhere they really don't. It's just a matter of seeing a psych and making sure this is something you want to do, hearing the implications, going back to think about it for a month, then coming back and saying that you really want to do it. Otherwise it's a matter of if you have the money, or you're in a country that will actually cover it.

Orkin Mang posted:

this made me well up with tears...than u : ) beautiful post we need more people like u. i feel like uve freed me to reach for the stars

:)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mentaly ill whtie men want to act out gender stereotypes tha feminists have been trying to get rid off for ages as social constructs harmful to women. thats all this is, tis nothing like being transracial pygmy. this is legit ive known i was absolutely the tiniest person deep down since i was 7

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This thread is starting to repeat itself. This has all happened before. This will all happen again.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadoer posted:

lol what is this 'we'? Are you a doctor or psychologist?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

what race are u today opus?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

opus111 posted:

I meant it in terms of society. I learned a bit about how it's dealt with because the issue came up in Canada when they were determining if transgender surgery should be covered under the Canada Health Act and thereby be free to people who wanted it and how to determine if someone should have the surgery came up.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

someone should brainwash her with home & garden television a la zoolander

the trigger will be the music of mumford and sons

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

because i want to sing along to some rap (including ALL the words!!!!), I've decided to be black today.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Vladimir Putin posted:

Would animals even know what diseases means?

It's like a guy who tries to hang out with you is annoying and you guys tolerate it because he might be autistic, but then later when you find out he's not autistic you stop being nice.

Source: I'm a bear who's eaten people.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

because i want to sing along to some rap (including ALL the words!!!!), I've decided to be black today.

nice im going to the waterpark outside town this weekend and jsu before i get tere im becoming a barracuda. watch out! ; )

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

Race is kind of counter to our present scientific understanding of humanity. There's no bio marker or genetic test or some other kind of molecular difference that you can test a person for and say hey that's a black dude. Absent that race is what exactly. It something that does have a basis in reality, but it's kind of made up.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
If she wants use makeup to be dark skinned that's fine, but she shouldn't lie and get a scholarship meant for someone who descended from slaves.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Vladimir Putin posted:

Race is kind of counter to our present scientific understanding of humanity. There's no bio marker or genetic test or some other kind of molecular difference that you can test a person for and say hey that's a black dude. Absent that race is what exactly. It something that does have a basis in reality, but it's kind of made up.

For 100 dollars you can get a DNA test telling you exactly what percentage of what ethnicity you are. There are obvious genetic differences between races. Society, however, further stratifies those differences through constructed means.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

For 100 dollars you can get a DNA test telling you exactly what percentage of what ethnicity you are. There are obvious genetic differences between races. Society, however, further stratifies those differences through constructed means.

No you can't. Those tests haven't been validated and can't even be used to make medical decisions. They are more or less a novelty.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

No artifical coloring

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

No you can't. Those tests haven't been validated and can't even be used to make medical decisions. They are more or less a novelty.

not imo they arent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

dethkon posted:

Idk, bears are p smart. I could see why they wouldn't be interested in eating the weird white furless skinny looking bear, unless pickings got REALLY slim. As a trans-bear, I'd know.

So you're a twink who wants to put on weight?

• Locked thread