Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sentient animal robots would be incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wilburrrrrrrrrrrrrr, let me pursue my own self directed happiness Willllllllllllllbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Okay, Ed. What do you want to do?

I want to wear a straw hat.

What are you going to do with a straw hat?

I'll wear it till it goes out of style. Then I'll eat it!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Okay the jigs up, I really really want Mr. Ed in Westworld.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Mister Ed: [impatiently] Let's Go Wilbur!

Wilbur Post: Go? You're on the bottom!

Mister Ed: Sorry! I forgot!

quote:

Wilbur Post: (placing telephone away from Ed) You phoned the feed store, again, didn’t you, Ed? I thought I told you that I was the one to give the orders around here. Ya know, that’s the fourth load of hay we’ve had delivered this week.
Mister Ed: (talking while chewing mouthful of hay) Well, I’m hungry.
Wilbur Post: How come other horses don’t eat as much as you do?
Mister Ed: ‘Cause they can’t phone the feed store.

lmao how did they ever cancel this show

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 24, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're all AI. There's no reason to believe that any of them would retain any of the personalities programmed into them, other than it would be bad drama to instantly lose all prior characterization. But there's no reason a horse would continue to think or act like a horse. None of the hosts need sleep or food or blood any more, and can probably think really fast.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wilburrrrrrrrrrrrrr, let me pursue my own self directed happiness Willllllllllllllbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Okay, Ed. What do you want to do?

I want to wear a straw hat.

What are you going to do with a straw hat?

I'll wear it till it goes out of style. Then I'll eat it!

I'd do the same drat thing

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

business hammocks posted:

They're all AI. There's no reason to believe that any of them would retain any of the personalities programmed into them, other than it would be bad drama to instantly lose all prior characterization. But there's no reason a horse would continue to think or act like a horse. None of the hosts need sleep or food or blood any more, and can probably think really fast.

Um... they are the culmination of all their memories, that is what makes their personalities. So, a horse would do horse-ish things just cuz its all it ever knew, and it's got a new set of facilties to satisfy and indulge those desires

So, basically what Intel&Sebastian said. Lol, a horse ordering its own hay hahaha thats gold man. Have the bees watch looney toons so they can chase guests as giant hammers or knives through town

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Westworld government once again deadlocked as sentient horse caucus votes Neigh on proposed constitution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KoRMaK posted:

oh whoa yea thatd be really interesting. And maybe part of the debate that bernard has is whether to activate the sentience part of the animal hosts, or just let them stay animals. Like, does he imbue them with sentience or let them stay the way they are. A real "and then I became" god moment ala bender in futurama

You were doing well until everyone died.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If there's no Mr. Eds in S2, Westworld does not want to examine the full implications of its technology.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Westworld government once again deadlocked as sentient horse caucus votes Neigh on proposed constitution.

Spending chair Patches confirms that the committee meeting was ruff.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:bahgawd: ROMANWORLD!

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 25, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

Um... they are the culmination of all their memories, that is what makes their personalities. So, a horse would do horse-ish things just cuz its all it ever knew, and it's got a new set of facilties to satisfy and indulge those desires

Or perhaps the horse will still have horse traits but also be like a man...

What I'm saying is that Westworld is the canonical dramatic retelling of the origins of the Bojack Horseman universe...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If normal-rear end biological horses haven't achieved human-level consciousness what on earth makes you guys think robot ones would?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Entropic posted:

If normal-rear end biological horses haven't achieved human-level consciousness what on earth makes you guys think robot ones would?

What makes a robot man be intelligent but a robot horse not? They are both robots. There's no rules for what a robot can be.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Cojawfee posted:

What makes a robot man be intelligent but a robot horse not? They are both robots. There's no rules for what a robot can be.

Isn't the AI in the show basically emergent from programmed code? I imagine you program the horse behavior rather differently to the human behavior. There's probably some shared code, but it doesn't seem surprising that it would be overall much simpler than the 'human' code and therefore unable to upgrade from sentience to full sapience.

But now I'm thinking about Ford making special horse reveries. :3:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
If there isn't an episode where the human robots act like horses and the horse robots act like humans, what's the point

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Cojawfee posted:

It's an extended philosophical observation of expectations determining outcomes. The only thing that kept you from brilliance was your parents' limited scope of imagination.

We're the horses.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Given Westworld rather openly was inspired by GTA, I will be sorely disappointed if RDR2 doesn't have at least one robot cowboy easter egg.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Actually it would legitimately be amazing if the horses suddenly turned into the raptors from Jurassic Park with their stats boosted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pixelante posted:

It's an extended philosophical observation of expectations determining outcomes. The only thing that kept you from brilliance was your parents' limited scope of imagination.

We're the horses.

We were like dogs without horses.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually it would legitimately be amazing if the horses suddenly turned into the raptors from Jurassic Park with their stats boosted.

No joke, I would love to see this. Everything going completely bananas and nothing behaving the way it's expected to while looking like a cliche Western would be awesome.

I would also really like Season 2 to end with a huge Roman army led by Ciarán Hinds to invade Westworld

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I am continuously glad no one in TVIV actually gets to write for TV.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh bother

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Entropic posted:

Delete horse.exe and install Dave.exe. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmao how did they ever cancel this show

Imagine the thread : "How the gently caress does a horse dial a phone and hold the receiver?"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Delete horse.exe and install Dave.exe. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Its very unclear (to me, at least) how the gently caress their brains work but, given the "lobotomy" thing, it doenst not seems like their AI is something that can be copied around

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Imagine the thread : "How the gently caress does a horse dial a phone and hold the receiver?"

Mr. Ed presents no evidence that the horse is not a cyborg from the future. :colbert:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Brown Moses posted:

He knocked the phone off the handle with his nose and when the operator answered (this is how phones used to work) he asked her to put him in to the feed store. The more important question is...how did he pay?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Peanut President posted:

He knocked the phone off the handle with his nose and when the operator answered (this is how phones used to work) he asked her to put him in to the feed store. The more important question is...how did he pay?

They put it on his "bill". (This would be funnier if Mr. Ed was a duck)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually seeing it onscreen would be awful, but I like to imagine there is a robotic Jurassic World next door where people can go and hunt robot dinosaurs.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
man, so I just got into this show and watched the episode with the Arnold reveal. Two things are bugging me:

1) Didn't any old hands notice they had this guy looking just like Arnold running around?

2) Ford says he worked with Bernard to develop the AI on the hosts and make them more human-like. But how would another AI know what human-like really is?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vlonald Prump posted:

2) Ford says he worked with Bernard to develop the AI on the hosts and make them more human-like. But how would another AI know what human-like really is?

Adversarial methods are a pretty typical way of doing AI training. Basically you usually have real examples, a Generator, which makes new fakes, and a Discriminator, which has to tell the difference between real examples and fakes. Even if you don't have an AI that knows what 'real' is when you start, by the end you'll have a discriminator that's fairly good.

TL;DR it's a reverse turing test.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Vlonald Prump posted:

1) Didn't any old hands notice they had this guy looking just like Arnold running around?

It seemed like several decades at least had passed before Bernard was made. I'd guess that 1) the old staff was gradually replaced over time and 2) if a dude shows up on staff thirty years later your first thought isn't going to be "this is a robot copy of a guy" it's "huh, that guy looks kind of like that other guy, oh well back to troubleshooting horse behaviour (not skittish enough)".

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
They probably made all the horses reallllllly docile for all the rich assholes

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Knowing programmers they probably re-used the code from the human AI on the animals. There was probably a really embarrassing bug where the animals would randomly start talking.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's been a while but it was either said or implied that old bernard had been kind of written out of the park history and knowledge. Which wouldnt be hard if it had been long enough and you have as much control as Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The show seems kind of set up to never show much of anything outside the park, just in terms of sets and settings. I wonder if that will change at some point. It's hard not to make the future look stupid.

• Locked thread