Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Weird I didn't experience any freezing. Sorry dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
How were you watching? Not sure if HBO GO and HBO NOW run off the same servers. I was trying NOW.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guy A. Person posted:

It looks like there is a little mini-mystery involving the Garveys' first day in town and what really went down.

I'm less enthused about the possibility of more supernatural stuff happening. I prefer there being one central unexplainable Thing with a bunch of people just damaged by it and trying their best to cope.

I actually kind of like there being something else happening, I just hope it's handled well.

And my expression when John, when talking about what happened with his 'attempted murder' conviction and saying he "didn't try hard enough" was pure :stare:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shadow posted:

How were you watching? Not sure if HBO GO and HBO NOW run off the same servers. I was trying NOW.

Oh! I was just watching live on HBO (Comcast cable provider), so that makes sense.

I never mess around with just releasing stuff on GO after hearing all of the horror stories about GoT; either I am home and can watch it live or I am typically going to wait.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh! I was just watching live on HBO (Comcast cable provider), so that makes sense.

I never mess around with just releasing stuff on GO after hearing all of the horror stories about GoT; either I am home and can watch it live or I am typically going to wait.

Yeah. :(

I don't got cable. Hulu, Netflix, HBO and Showtime, and Prime. I don't miss cable.

Trying the show again. What the hell is going on...

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Well that was a weird episode. Maybe this show is better watched binge-style.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm late to the show catching the rerun.

So...that intro huh

nopants
May 29, 2004
That owned.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is a solid start I think. I like the shifted focus.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I would have been fine if the focus was completley on the new family, and none of the old characters showed up.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
That was bonkers and I loved it. The Murphys are wonderfully acted and written.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I wonder what Matt Jamison was going to say. He made it seem like Mary is getting better or has improved, which didn't seem to be the case.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nopants posted:

I would have been fine if the focus was completley on the new family, and none of the old characters showed up.

You can't just abandon the old characters. The best thing to do is this, fold them in, let them be a part of the new story, don't do Walking Dead bullshit with like three unique plotlines going down at a time.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

The Clap posted:

That was bonkers and I loved it. The Murphys are wonderfully acted and written.

Yup. The guy who plays John is on point.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You're never going to get a GR infestation when you have a team of vigilante anti-cult firemen.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
I'll support any show that makes a Perfect Strangers gag.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

What the gently caress is this awful intro

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is even going on

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

blablablabla posted:

Carrie Coon is the best

She was also great in a supporting role in Gone Girl

VextheGrey posted:

I'll support any show that makes a Perfect Strangers gag.

Also, great intro, I see where I think they're going with that, it'll be interesting to see if it bears out. Lots of "what's going on here" stuff but I like that and loved the first season.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
The tone of this season seems to be working a lot better than last, even though I loved last season. It still seems dishonest as gently caress to hint at some sort of mythology when they've already admitted they won't be answering anything.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Tomahawk posted:

The tone of this season seems to be working a lot better than last, even though I loved last season. It still seems dishonest as gently caress to hint at some sort of mythology when they've already admitted they won't be answering anything.

They said they won't be answering where the disappeared people went. They didn't say they won't be answering anything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New opening loving sucks. I honestly though it was a joke, it was that terrible.

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm less enthused about the possibility of more supernatural stuff happening. I prefer there being one central unexplainable Thing with a bunch of people just damaged by it and trying their best to cope.

Yeah. I mean, no-one in the town can die, right? The bird in the box, the cricket stuck down the drain.

Poor Evie. :ohdear::ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah. I mean, no-one in the town can die, right? The bird in the box, the cricket stuck down the drain.

Poor Evie. :ohdear::ohdear:

Wait, what? I seriously missed that aspect of it. Wow, I'm dumb.

Also, how do you know the cricket is in the drain?

EDIT: Another example of things not dying is the fish that was flopping around where the water was. And 'attempted murder'.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, how do you know the cricket is in the drain?

They implied it when John starting sticking his hand down the drain.

The noise was clearly annoying him -- but if he thought the cricket was down there, why didn't he just turn on the disposal? Because it wouldn't have been effective.

Plus there's that cut back right at the very end of the episode, after they've just suggested that Evie's been sucked down into one of the sink holes. Seemed to be drawing some kind of comparison.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 5, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

They implied it when John starting sticking his hand down the drain.

The noise was clearly annoying him -- but if he thought the cricket was down there, why didn't he just turn on the disposal? Because it wouldn't have been effective.

Plus there's that cut back right at the very end of the episode, after the episode suggests that Evie's been sucked down into one of the sink holes. Seemed to be drawing some kind of comparison.

I didn't really get the implication that the cricket was in the disposal, but that could just be me. I just thought him sticking his hand in there was one more 'something bad is going to happen to you, John' thing that teases the audience.

EDIT: I will admit that I hope I'm wrong in all of this; I would actually really appreciate all of these things being compared to one another. I like it when I watch a thing, think I get it, and then find out that there's a whole other layer on top.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I didn't really get the implication that the cricket was in the disposal, but that could just be me. I just thought him sticking his hand in there was one more 'something bad is going to happen to you, John' thing that teases the audience.

EDIT: I will admit that I hope I'm wrong in all of this; I would actually really appreciate all of these things being compared to one another. I like it when I watch a thing, think I get it, and then find out that there's a whole other layer on top.

I mean, yeah, I'm just spit balling here. Would be entirely fine if I'm wrong. (Those credits, on the other hand... jesus they're crap.)

But I'm also pretty sure that Papa Garvey was hallucinating Anne Dowd's character during his kitchen conversation with John. I imagine he's still going bonkers after the end of last season. I guess we'll find out.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Mr. Boogie posted:

They said they won't be answering where the disappeared people went. They didn't say they won't be answering anything.

It looks like they're kinda walking back that statement about avoiding answers to the central mystery now in this interview with Reza Aslan.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/leftovers-mysteries-religion-reza-aslan.html

quote:

So religion writer and future TV personality Reza Aslan, a Harvard Divinity School grad, has come on board to help craft the story for season two, and consult on all matters of faith. He says we’d better get comfortable with the show’s ambiguity because that’s what religion is about, though we can expect lots of clues to help frame the central mystery. Still, those looking for specific answers take heart: Aslan says we’ll get “all the material necessary to draw our own firm conclusions about what happened.”

Which is kind of a relief, I don't need a concrete resolution (we didn't get one in Lost and I was perfectly satisfied), but to say up front "we're not going to answer this, this is a show about characters, but we're going to continue to introduce more mysteries directly tied to the central mystery" seems like a huge copout. There doesn't need to be an architect scene, it can be a character show and still provide a fulfilling amount of details on the central mystery to invite people to come to some solid conclusions.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I loving love this show for some reason. It's just so well shot. I think that I'm not really a person that needs mysteries answered, so I'm probably the target audience.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

Which is kind of a relief, I don't need a concrete resolution (we didn't get one in Lost and I was perfectly satisfied), but to say up front "we're not going to answer this, this is a show about characters, but we're going to continue to introduce more mysteries directly tied to the central mystery" seems like a huge copout. There doesn't need to be an architect scene, it can be a character show and still provide a fulfilling amount of details on the central mystery to invite people to come to some solid conclusions.

When you look at Lindelof's oeuvre - in particular Prometheus and Leftovers, with Lost being an early attempt - the stories he is telling are more about the nature of unsolvable mysteries than the mysteries themselves. Mysteries like: why are we here, where do we go when we die, is there anything else beyond our universe, etc. These are mysteries that are not going to be solved in a book or a movie, so the focus is always more on the human relationship to these kinds of mysteries. In Prometheus, you have characters looking into the screen asking questions like "what if you don't find the answers/like the answers you find" and the whole thing becomes a farce where everything backfires and there are no clear/satisfying answers. Leftovers opens with a big supernatural event then cuts to 3 years later with a big news story going "welp we didn't figure out what that whole thing was about and probably never will, we should probably all move on" and then the writers all adamantly saying that the core mystery won't be answered. Then the rest of the show is of course all about people dealing with the this bizarre Thing and not knowing how to live with the knowledge that this kind of thing can happen at any given time with no warning or explanation; people have their faith shaken and question everything.

I guess what I am saying is, prepare yourself to be disappointed if you want any kind of answers. Maybe there will be some, but it's obvious at this point that setting up some supernatural event and then saying "oh well it was aliens/magic/pseudo-science" is explicitly not the kind of story that Lindelof is interested in telling. Lost was not some aberration where he forgot to solve the mysteries he presented, it was just his first (sloppy) attempt at telling stories about unsolvable mysteries and how people deal with them.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Guy A. Person posted:

When you look at Lindelof's oeuvre - in particular Prometheus and Leftovers, with Lost being an early attempt - the stories he is telling are more about the nature of unsolvable mysteries than the mysteries themselves. Mysteries like: why are we here, where do we go when we die, is there anything else beyond our universe, etc. These are mysteries that are not going to be solved in a book or a movie, so the focus is always more on the human relationship to these kinds of mysteries. In Prometheus, you have characters looking into the screen asking questions like "what if you don't find the answers/like the answers you find" and the whole thing becomes a farce where everything backfires and there are no clear/satisfying answers. Leftovers opens with a big supernatural event then cuts to 3 years later with a big news story going "welp we didn't figure out what that whole thing was about and probably never will, we should probably all move on" and then the writers all adamantly saying that the core mystery won't be answered. Then the rest of the show is of course all about people dealing with the this bizarre Thing and not knowing how to live with the knowledge that this kind of thing can happen at any given time with no warning or explanation; people have their faith shaken and question everything.

I guess what I am saying is, prepare yourself to be disappointed if you want any kind of answers. Maybe there will be some, but it's obvious at this point that setting up some supernatural event and then saying "oh well it was aliens/magic/pseudo-science" is explicitly not the kind of story that Lindelof is interested in telling. Lost was not some aberration where he forgot to solve the mysteries he presented, it was just his first (sloppy) attempt at telling stories about unsolvable mysteries and how people deal with them.

But Prometheus and Lost both do provide answers. They don't have an architect scene, it isn't spelt out in a forced way, but you can fill in most of the blanks. Last season Damon indicated that the Leftovers would be avoiding attempts to answer the central mystery, which would be extremely unsatisfying. If I get as much as Prometheus or Lost gave me (I am a huge fan of both), I will be satisfied.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh well then that's cool; I'm a big fan of both plus Leftovers too and think they give the right amount of "answers", I know others don't think they give any.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm actually okay with never finding out why the 2% just vanished. I am interested in the mysteries behind the hugging guy last year and how Eddie Winslow accurately reads palms though.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, the way the season has been set up so far, it seems to me that the theme will be more based on the tension with regards of the timing of the outsiders' arrival and the girls' disappearance than solving the causes for the disappearances. The cavewoman bit clearly seems to point to the futility of trying to explain why things happen.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
So if we run under the assumption that nothing can die in the town, what was up with the man nonchalantly dragging his goat into that restaurant to butcher it?

No one got super freaked out, and the owner seemed more annoyed than terrified. It sounded she was about to ask him if he had to do this right now. And the guy was definitely a local. Then he just kinda dragged it back out.

Some kind of weird sacrifice? Can he only kill the goat in a place where it's going to be needed, like maybe all the bacon is goat bacon I don't know.

Or the guy is just crazy.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So if we run under the assumption that nothing can die in the town, what was up with the man nonchalantly dragging his goat into that restaurant to butcher it?

No one got super freaked out, and the owner seemed more annoyed than terrified. It sounded she was about to ask him if he had to do this right now. And the guy was definitely a local. Then he just kinda dragged it back out.

Some kind of weird sacrifice? Can he only kill the goat in a place where it's going to be needed, like maybe all the bacon is goat bacon I don't know.

Or the guy is just crazy.

Im sure it was biblical. Didn't they rub goat blood on the door frames during passover? Im forgetting my sunday schooling

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah he was definitely sacrificing the goat, the weird thing is how mundane everyone treated it, and how he just kind of awkwardly he apologized at the end. Maybe he just does it all over town to like "cleanse" or protect different places?

Also I am not convinced it's just purely "things can't die" but there definitely seems to be some kind of healing going on, possibly in the water? (the old couple asked Michael about it, Evie gathered some from the watering hole, the bird may have been exposed to some?) The evidence for healing are Mary's condition seemingly improving and the bird not being dead in the box, I think the cricket is just hidden somewhere as a kind of Tell-tale Heart type scenario meant to mess with John.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah he was definitely sacrificing the goat, the weird thing is how mundane everyone treated it, and how he just kind of awkwardly he apologized at the end. Maybe he just does it all over town to like "cleanse" or protect different places?

Also I am not convinced it's just purely "things can't die" but there definitely seems to be some kind of healing going on, possibly in the water? (the old couple asked Michael about it, Evie gathered some from the watering hole, the bird may have been exposed to some?) The evidence for healing are Mary's condition seemingly improving and the bird not being dead in the box, I think the cricket is just hidden somewhere as a kind of Tell-tale Heart type scenario meant to mess with John.

Also, if the water could heal, why did the cavewoman at the beginning succumb to her wombs?

Also, I just figured the goat thing was a sad product of a hyper-religious town. Everyone 'gets' what he's doing, but it's kind of a nuisance to them. I mean, imagine if everyone in your city was the same religion, and they ALL believed. Maybe most might not take it as far as some others.

It's like how my dad goes to church regularly, but rolls his eyes when people get really REALLY into their religion.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

New opening loving sucks. I honestly though it was a joke, it was that terrible.

I think the new opening is kinda a joke. The whiplash from the grimness of the first season to the sorta, uh, faux-happy tone of this one is purposely disorienting and kinda funny.

Also the river with the healing water (Pedernales State Park) is about a minute down the road from where I live which is good to know if I ever get sick.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 5, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think it'd be awesome if the opening slowly became more depressing as the season goes on, so by episode 10, it's just black and white with creepy (and fantastic) piano music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I got the sense that it may have been something he did on the day of the Departure and has since become a routine he completes, perhaps believing that it in some way is linked to the miracle that occurred in their town.

Obviously I could be way off the mark. It just felt routine and could be why nobody really attempts to stop him.

• Locked thread