Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm guessing that Kevin is going to tell John about how GR antics caused his town to erupt into chaos, and John's going to think he's like-minded and invite him to join the fire department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Open Source Idiom posted:

They implied it when John starting sticking his hand down the drain.

What? You're weird. He was hesitant to stick his hand down the pipe because the other guy told him something bad is gonna happen to him and he became "what if it's real?". The waste disposal turning on by accident while you have your hand down there is a bad thing. Same reason why he didn't touch the pie.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

El Ste posted:

I got the sense that it may have been something he did on the day of the Departure and has since become a routine he completes, perhaps believing that it in some way is linked to the miracle that occurred in their town.

Obviously I could be way off the mark. It just felt routine and could be why nobody really attempts to stop him.

In that case, maybe it's similar to the lady who was watering her lawn in her wedding gown.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone post a spoiler for the last episode of season one. I kinda forgot what happened so I'm not sure why Nora has a baby for example nor the priests wife's condition either.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

El Ste posted:

I got the sense that it may have been something he did on the day of the Departure and has since become a routine he completes, perhaps believing that it in some way is linked to the miracle that occurred in their town.

Obviously I could be way off the mark. It just felt routine and could be why nobody really attempts to stop him.

They said something similar in that article Tomahawk posted, but then my obvious follow up question is: why the living gently caress did he randomly sacrifice a goat in the middle of the restaurant on the day of the departure? Unless early reports of the disappearances started rolling in and he did it out of panic I guess, but then that would still have to be post-departure and by now they would have to realize everyone departed at once and then not again for 4 years.

The lady in the wedding dress makes more sense though. I mean it still doesn't because who waters their lawn in a wedding dress but it's less weird than public goat slaughter.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone post a spoiler for the last episode of season one. I kinda forgot what happened so I'm not sure why Nora has a baby for example nor the priests wife's condition either.

Nora's baby is the daughter of the young Asian girl and the cult leader that Kevin's son dropped off on Kevin's doorstep.

The priest's wife was injured in a car accident on the day of the departure. She was struck by a now vacant car that was driven by a lovely judge if I recall correctly, which is why the priest was so adamant about not everyone that disappeared was a good person, and a lot of them were shitbags.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

hemophilia posted:

I enjoyed the first season and i'll probably like this one. I also liked BSG all the way to the end, and prometheus. I haven't seen LOST. I'm probably who this show was meant for.

Watch LOST with an open mind. I never watched it when it first aired and started watching it on Netflix on a whim. I loved the show so much I've been to Hawaii twice to check out filming locations. I rank it as my favorite TV show of all time. What I'm saying is just don't assume it will get bad if you watch it, for me it never did.

E: Random thoughts on first episode. Classic Lindelof mindfuck of a new season opening scene. Also the cricket reminded me a little of the LOST episode with Sawyer and tree frog. New family of characters is great. Really good casting. Old opening credits was one of the best on TV, it wasn't broke and I'm not happy they decided to try to fix it. I think they could have used the new song for a closing montage or end credits to better effect. I didn't originally get the impression the cricket was in the garbage disposal, I too thought it was just him dreading "something bad" happening when he reached in, but then again the son did say he thought it was near the dishwasher. Great episode, love this show.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 6, 2015

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I think the new opening is kinda a joke. The whiplash from the grimness of the first season to the sorta, uh, faux-happy tone of this one is purposely disorienting and kinda funny.

Also the river with the healing water (Pedernales State Park) is about a minute down the road from where I live which is good to know if I ever get sick.

Did you get to see them do any of the filming?

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

but then my obvious follow up question is: why the living gently caress did he randomly sacrifice a goat in the middle of the restaurant on the day of the departure?

Somewhere in the world Damon Lindelof is smugly smirking that he's got us to this point.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Great season opener. Intro is definitely not as good as the first season's but it's meant to be off-putting I think. Reflects the positive outward character of the town.

The distinct impression I got from the town was that it's a place that is vehemently anti-fraud, maybe tying into with how fanatical the government's been getting. Not just because John isn't the only one in on burning that guy's place down (the others say 2 and 3, guessing in terms of alarm fire.) but the guy in the Miracle pedestal seems a sort of pariah and the priest really quickly cuts off the reverend as he's about to get into his whole miraculous recovery bit. The everyone-not-dying theory would be cool, but they'd really have to bend over backwards to make it work I think.

Sounds like it's also not much of a town but a federally designated park? I noted a bunch of orange stickers that show up promptly, like on the old guy's trailer, and on the front doors of the Murphys' and the Garveys' homes:

you can see it more clearly in motion, and the camera even pans down and to the left as the old guy closes the door so you get the full view of it. Looks like an eagle under a night sky with three stars. Very angelic sort of wings spanning out from it.

I'm excited for the season. The Murphys are great and they really set up John as a kind of powder-keg that you just know is going to cross with Kevin at some point.

I've also seen a lot of shows with corrupt police officers, but never corrupt firemen.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

The distinct impression I got from the town was that it's a place that is vehemently anti-fraud, maybe tying into with how fanatical the government's been getting. Not just because John isn't the only one in on burning that guy's place down (the others say 2 and 3, guessing in terms of alarm fire.) but the guy in the Miracle pedestal seems a sort of pariah and the priest really quickly cuts off the reverend as he's about to get into his whole miraculous recovery bit.

My impression there was the reverend cut him off because John was there and he didn't want him to run afoul of John.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 6, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Great season opener. Intro is definitely not as good as the first season's but it's meant to be off-putting I think. Reflects the positive outward character of the town.

The distinct impression I got from the town was that it's a place that is vehemently anti-fraud, maybe tying into with how fanatical the government's been getting. Not just because John isn't the only one in on burning that guy's place down (the others say 2 and 3, guessing in terms of alarm fire.) but the guy in the Miracle pedestal seems a sort of pariah and the priest really quickly cuts off the reverend as he's about to get into his whole miraculous recovery bit. The everyone-not-dying theory would be cool, but they'd really have to bend over backwards to make it work I think.

Sounds like it's also not much of a town but a federally designated park? I noted a bunch of orange stickers that show up promptly, like on the old guy's trailer, and on the front doors of the Murphys' and the Garveys' homes:

you can see it more clearly in motion, and the camera even pans down and to the left as the old guy closes the door so you get the full view of it. Looks like an eagle under a night sky with three stars. Very angelic sort of wings spanning out from it.

I'm excited for the season. The Murphys are great and they really set up John as a kind of powder-keg that you just know is going to cross with Kevin at some point.

I've also seen a lot of shows with corrupt police officers, but never corrupt firemen.
Isn't that the crest or whatever for the Department of Sudden Departures? Thought I caught a glimpse of those letters during the shot of the trailer door moreso than the new Garvey house front door. Seems a little suspect (odd?) they'd be there if no one got whisked away, or what their business is with homes in the area.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I really really liked this episode. I also thought the intro was great. The new intro wouldn't have worked well in season one, but I feel that after you understand how crazy this show is, it really fits.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

El Ste posted:

My first thought is that the town was trying to preserve everything as it had since the departure, since obviously it worked once right? So people get really devoted to routine, instead of filling in the sinkhole on the road they cover it with something instead, etc. That's what i thought for like the first half hour but not really so much towards the rear end end.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
A good episode, but I'm not sure we needed a fifteen minute recap of Quest for Fire or the cricket symbolism. Not like this show is gonna pick up new viewers who would have needed those things.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I loved watching illiterate savage beat poisonous serpent with a rock because it reminded me of my own experiences.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Sober posted:

Isn't that the crest or whatever for the Department of Sudden Departures? Thought I caught a glimpse of those letters during the shot of the trailer door moreso than the new Garvey house front door. Seems a little suspect (odd?) they'd be there if no one got whisked away, or what their business is with homes in the area.

Maybe, I don't recall seeing that exact logo in S1. The wikia for the show has a slightly different logo

http://the-leftovers.wikia.com/wiki/Department_of_Sudden_Departure

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
God drat some of you guys are insightful. I think I'll rewatch the episode some time this week. No one dying in the town, the bird flying out of the box, the fish...the cricket. I noticed these things but didn't put the "no departed... no death" connection.

Also the "attempted murder" due to not "trying hard enough" was... how did I miss that. :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
oh and garvey staring at the couch because he sees Patti sitting there. mocking him.

:eng99:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Caryna posted:

What? You're weird. He was hesitant to stick his hand down the pipe because the other guy told him something bad is gonna happen to him and he became "what if it's real?". The waste disposal turning on by accident while you have your hand down there is a bad thing. Same reason why he didn't touch the pie.

Well, yeah. But why was he doing it in the first place?

Shadow posted:

oh and garvey staring at the couch because he sees Patti sitting there. mocking him.

For what it's worth, I think most posters are mostly just guessing at this point. But I'd put even money on this one actually being true.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

He was retrieving his spoon.

For what it's worth, I think most posters are mostly just guessing at this point. But I'd put even money on this one actually being true.

Oh yeah... hundred percent. It's gotta be.

That or it's Black Huggy Man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

With regards to that 'no death' thing, doesn't that not work because of the goat slaughter? Didn't someone already mention this?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Season trailer: We did see a Patti hallucination in the trailer, so that one's clear.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 6, 2015

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I thought it was some kind of eviction notice? Seems like no one would willingly leave the town.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With regards to that 'no death' thing, doesn't that not work because of the goat slaughter? Didn't someone already mention this?

You're assuming that it's not the same goat, it would explain why everyone looked primarily annoyed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

You're assuming that it's not the same goat, it would explain why everyone looked primarily annoyed.

Well, that'd be weird... 'Oh, Earl... quit torturing that poor goat AGAIN.'

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

He put his dishes in the sink and the spoon fell in. You could even see how it happened. He then even said it out loud. You really have to try very very hard to miss both of these "clues" as to why he stuck his hand down there.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Just wanted to chime in with a thought: burying stuff in boxes in the woods is a black southern hoodoo/rootwork thing. It could be that Mrs Murphy believes and practices ancestral rites but has kept it secret from her husband who obviously wants his town to stay pure...

n3wt fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 7, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Why do you guys assume no death in town?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Why do you guys assume no death in town?

Yeah no departures I get, but I seriously doubt no one would mention that NO ONE has died in the past few years in that town.

What I like about this show is it has a supernatural element to it, but in reality it is pretty much coincidence (with of course the exception of the Departure). Last season, huggy black dude was not a messiah, the church guy probably won all that money on sheer luck, not some omnibenevolent being, and in reality all the lovely things that happen are a direct result of the people left behind. This season, I anticipate the same, where people believe there is more at work than just natural occurrence but in reality there is probably nothing to it but their delusions caused by the departure.

Which is good television, IMHO.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

drat, that was a good episode and the Mark Linn Baker reference from S1 paying off with that gag was pretty drat great.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So did anyone understand the opening scene with the pregnant woman giving birth and getting bitten by the snake? I feel like the show needs to explain this eventually, and right when that other woman picks up the dead woman's baby, it fades to what I assume was the same location in the present day with the girls swimming. Maybe I'm just being dense, but I don't understand what it had to do with anything. Was it connected to the fact that nothing in the town can die?

Also, again, maybe just me being dense, but was the scene with Evie and her friends running naked through the forest just an epileptic dream that maybe will one day have something to do with the plot, or was this another example of adding nudity for no reason?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

life is killing me posted:

So did anyone understand the opening scene with the pregnant woman giving birth and getting bitten by the snake? I feel like the show needs to explain this eventually, and right when that other woman picks up the dead woman's baby, it fades to what I assume was the same location in the present day with the girls swimming. Maybe I'm just being dense, but I don't understand what it had to do with anything. Was it connected to the fact that nothing in the town can die?

Also, again, maybe just me being dense, but was the scene with Evie and her friends running naked through the forest just an epileptic dream that maybe will one day have something to do with the plot, or was this another example of adding nudity for no reason?

Come back to these questions once the season is over, and see how many are answered. I don't think I have many questions about the first season, but holy poo poo, was I confused at first.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think they were showing that part of Texas is earthquake prone and that life is hard and sucks.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I think they were showing that part of Texas is earthquake prone and that life is hard and sucks.

My first thought watching that scene was that it was some homeless woman in the present day, then when I realized she was probably Native American or cro-magnon or whatever the first people were, I thought that it was weird how they'd learned how to frack for oil

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I actually thought the whole point of the scene (at first) was how, at any moment, everyone you know could just... disappear from your life, with the cave collapsing.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

life is killing me posted:

Looking closely isn't the women who takes the baby Carrie Coon dressed up as a primitive person? I thought it was and was waiting for her character in the show to wake up from a dream or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Caryna posted:

He put his dishes in the sink and the spoon fell in. You could even see how it happened. He then even said it out loud. You really have to try very very hard to miss both of these "clues" as to why he stuck his hand down there.

Haha, yeah, I went back and rewatched that scene earlier, before I read your comment. Previously I'd heard what he'd said to his son, but I read it as an excuse he was making up, instead of him just covering for his fear. Must have blinked and missed the actual shot of the spoon disappearing -- it's actually pretty quick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Looking closely isn't the women who takes the baby Carrie Coon dressed up as a primitive person? I thought it was and was waiting for her character in the show to wake up from a dream or something.

It's not her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

We're there really cavemen in Texas?

• Locked thread