Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Liv Tyler won Best TV Actress at the Elle Style Awards last night.

....yep
It's the Elle Style Awards. They're literally words than the People's Choice Awards since nobody knows they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocco posted:

Unexpectedly, I received the Blu-ray set for Leftovers Season 2 in the mail today. I preordered it a while back but guess I didn't realize it would be out this soon.

Did anyone else get it? Does it have, uh... ANY special features at all? The first season did but this thing looks completely bare bones. Kinda wondering if I should just send it back.

I'd like to think this is some really meta commentary on the show :unsmith:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Acinonyx posted:

Wait, what? Did the second season of that really pick up or something? Season 1 was one of the worst things I slogged through that year and I swore off the show. I'm totally down with the rest of your list so I am really confused here.

I started watching it but then stopped because it's even more eye-rolling-ly dumb and boring than the first season.

Anyway, I'm listening to Justin Theroux singing "Homeward Bound" right now, it isn't professional by any means but I just really like his version of it :)

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I know this goes against the majority opinion here but I think season 2 would have been a lot stronger if they had just dropped Meg, Laurie, and Tommy altogether. They were the weakest parts of the first season, but they at least served a purpose for the plot...and Tommy's subplot gave us Holy Wayne so I can forgive that. But the lengths the show went to to get them to Jarden was just silly. The Guilty Remnant stuff was the last thing the show needed more of. At this rate the series finale will just be all the characters dressed in white recreating the end of that one Radiohead music video.

I'll wait to see how they're used in season 3 to reserve my judgement but I wish they had been able to use more time exploring the characters of Jarden and especially the fantastic Murphy family. Kevin Carroll and Regina King both blew me away in almost every scene they were in.

bowser fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 26, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weird season 2 backlash all of a sudden

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

I don't know why they didn't cast someone new in place of Meg for season 2. She goes from being one of the most sympathetic members of the guilty remnant to stoning innocent bystanders in less than a year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They clearly show her anger and potential to go far in the movement in s1. With Patti gone it's easy to see how she could have filled the vacuum.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

They clearly show her anger and potential to go far in the movement in s1. With Patti gone it's easy to see how she could have filled the vacuum.

Yeah. Whether her performance was good or not in S1, it would be silly to argue her path didn't make sense between the two. That these people would fall in line behind the person who already wanted to strike back, after what happened when they pulled their stunt in S1?

I can see that whole sect of the guilty remnant being pissed after the riot. Plus also iirc in the book GR proper is huge on stoning and martyrdom anyway so

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

esperterra posted:

Yeah. Whether her performance was good or not in S1, it would be silly to argue her path didn't make sense between the two. That these people would fall in line behind the person who already wanted to strike back, after what happened when they pulled their stunt in S1?

I can see that whole sect of the guilty remnant being pissed after the riot. Plus also iirc in the book GR proper is huge on stoning and martyrdom anyway so

Rampant tobacco use. Callous disregard for all life. The GR is based on GiP, it all makes sense now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I don't know why they didn't cast someone new in place of Meg for season 2. She goes from being one of the most sympathetic members of the guilty remnant to stoning innocent bystanders in less than a year.

You think she came off as the most sympathetic? After the scene where she beats up Matt for "messing with her" in a milder way than the GR do on a daily basis to everyone else (and then immediately bragging to Laurie about how awesome it's going to be to put puppets of everyone's vanished loved ones everywhere) I thought she was the most hypocritical zealot of the bunch.

Then her final scene in season 1 where she is beat up but looking incredibly smug, it seemed super obvious that she was the type who felt justified in this hosed up poo poo and was willing to take it even further.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

You think she came off as the most sympathetic? After the scene where she beats up Matt for "messing with her" in a milder way than the GR do on a daily basis to everyone else (and then immediately bragging to Laurie about how awesome it's going to be to put puppets of everyone's vanished loved ones everywhere) I thought she was the most hypocritical zealot of the bunch.

Then her final scene in season 1 where she is beat up but looking incredibly smug, it seemed super obvious that she was the type who felt justified in this hosed up poo poo and was willing to take it even further.

I'll admit that I might not have remembered the first season as well as I thought, I only vaguely remember her beating up Matt now that you mention it. To me the GR never seemed violent towards others, they never fought back during confrontations, instead opting for psychological torment like throwing a fake grenade into a bus filled with school children.

Was that the first time where the GR were shown to be willing to commit murder? (Except for the almost consensual stoning of that member in season 1)

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Highly Unnecessary posted:

(Except for the almost consensual stoning of that member in season 1)

This was completely consensual.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wooty posted:

This was completely consensual.

Nah, Gladys broke down and asked them to stop near the end. Granted, I think she was probably beyond saving at that point.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I was cleaning out my DVR and saw I still had four episodes of Leftovers on it. I rewatched International Assassin. Holy poo poo, that episode is shot for shot, word for word, perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching s2 now and it's still the greatest season of TV in years

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Escobarbarian posted:

Rewatching s2 now and it's still the greatest season of TV in years

Go watch Bloodline.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really like the first few episodes and dropped it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I mean, Bloodline is good, but it's not even close to Leftovers S2 in my mind.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because of my obsession with ranking stuff I was considering making a list of my favourite TV seasons of this decade so far (this would be #2 behind Mad Men s5). But then I had to stop upon realising trying to pick just one between seasons 3-5 of Breaking Bad would kill me.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn't really like the first few episodes and dropped it.

Same, not even Couch Taylor could keep me watching that show

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
Bloodline definitely got better as it rolled on. Leftovers season 3 have a date yet?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ShakeZula posted:

I mean, Bloodline is good, but it's not even close to Leftovers S2 in my mind.

Man you people are crazy

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Go watch Bloodline.

I really liked Bloodline but it wasn't really in the same league.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xoidanor posted:

I really liked Bloodline but it wasn't really in the same league.

Except for a few characters in The Leftovers, the character work in Bloodline is miles above anything else on TV I think. That's what hooked me. Every actor and every character is exceptional - and that's ALMOST the case in The Leftovers.

Edge: Bloodline.

But no seriously both shows are great.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Bloodline was really good but Leftovers is great. I look forward to watching season 2 o f bloodline more than season 3 of leftovers. Thanks

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cool news.

Welcome to the OZ, bitches.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress yea

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I think Lindelof mentioned they want to incorporate Kevin Garvey Sr. into the season 3 storyline in a bigger way than he's been used so far. Looks like The Travelin' Garvey Shaman Show is hitting the road for Pep Pep's house!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I think Lindelof mentioned they want to incorporate Kevin Garvey Sr. into the season 3 storyline in a bigger way than he's been used so far. Looks like The Travelin' Garvey Shaman Show is hitting the road for Pep Pep's house!

First of all I might have had a brain-skip because I read that as Ken Griffey Sr. Not sure what a retired baseball player brings to the show but what the hell, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Second of all, he'll yeah! Can't wait for more weird aboriginal TV transmissions then a road trip.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
let the mystery be is one of the best tv song openings ever imo

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Australia clearly means they're going to keep exploring the magic underbelly of the setting, so it'll be interesting to see how they do that without tipping over into outright revealing what the departure was.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Australia clearly means they're going to keep exploring the magic underbelly of the setting, so it'll be interesting to see how they do that without tipping over into outright revealing what the departure was.

they're going to reveal how this show ties into LOST :twisted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Garveys take a flight to Australia, but their plane crashes on a mysterious island on the way there...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Just figured out that Garvey Sr. is Stick on Daredevil.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A crazy part of me thinks they will actually go into why the disappearance happened. The writers just said they wouldn't until they got a series end date and now that we have one, all bets are off.

Probably just my hosed up brain though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Last Chance posted:

A crazy part of me thinks they will actually go into why the disappearance happened. The writers just said they wouldn't until they got a series end date and now that we have one, all bets are off.

Probably just my hosed up brain though.

When did they say that, do you have a source? I've only heard "we'll never tell" answers, plus last year's theme song was "Let the mystery be".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

When did they say that, do you have a source? I've only heard "we'll never tell" answers, plus last year's theme song was "Let the mystery be".

No one ever said anything to that effect. Just a crackpot theory, nothing more..

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

"In news nobody saw coming" :ughh:
Wasn't the relocation to Australia kind of like the common assumption at least in here...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bolivar posted:

"In news nobody saw coming" :ughh:
Wasn't the relocation to Australia kind of like the common assumption at least in here...

I thought that line was being sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
justin theroux is going to be permanently dripping with sweat in australia after how he was in texas

• Locked thread