Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I found some salamanders and brought them home. Mom is freaked out by slimy things so they had to live in a container on the deck. Well, crows sure are curious about new containers with little black amphibians crawling out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

aerialsilks posted:

As far as the rest of my family goes, none of them believe in euthanizing an animal in pain, which pisses me off to no end.
:stare: That's kinda hosed up. Any of those animals make horrible noises?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

black pete posted:

I bet no one is even reading any of this thread.

I'm reading every post. It's like a car crash; I don't want to look but I can't look away.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Not me, but my bizarre (now deceased) great-uncle accidentally sat on and killed his cockatiel. Poor Pooper never knew what hit him.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I made a tiny harness out of twine for my guinea pig and tied it to about 5 feet of twine which I tied to my dogs collar. Kid me thought they would wander around our yard together having pigdog adventures while i played but instead my dog freaked out and the last I saw of Percival the guinea pig was him skipping on the ground repeatedly as my dog hauled rear end into the woods with him still attached. Dog came back later sans harness and pig.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
These weren't me killing a pet but two dogs have died really close to me. My GSD died of heat stroke and my mom was passed out inside and when I came back home I was too weak to carry him inside (I'm sorry Odin, I was only a boy :smith:). Another time I was out on a run and found a pit bull recently hit by a car. I did my best to support it as I carried it like 3/4s of a mile to the nearest house and gave it CPR in the front yard as the home owner got ready to jump in his car but he had stopped breathing around the time I found him. He did not make it. I'm sorry, dog.

less depressing but i was so excited to bring my new goldfish upstairs i was running with my fish bowl, spilled some water, slipped on it, and landed on my goldfish. i'm so sorry goldfish

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lots of goldfish as a kid. Not much of a story there, though. I fed them too much and didn't clean the tank very well.

One super-goldfish survived everything I could throw at him for about five years.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
Anyone ever tortured their pet?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

black pete posted:

Anyone ever tortured their pet?

Yeah I force them to spend time with me

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I also had their balls cut off

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

When I was eight, my parents bought me two gerbils who were my first two pets ever. I was so excited. While my dad was setting up their cage, my parents let me sit on the bathroom floor and let the gerbils run around while their new home was being set up.

Everything was totally fine for a few minutes. They scampered around, chewed some wood blocks, ate some treats out of my hand....until one of them dropped dead.

I still have a very vivid memory of my mom holding the lifeless little body and trying to massage it back to life while my dad was on the phone with the pet store. I felt so guilty, like I was personally responsible for its heart exploding from excitement. :( The store held off on closing for the evening so we could come back and get a replacement, who I named Shenzi and ended up living like a stupid long time for a gerbil, like four years or something.

Kind of an opposite story: a few years later, my parents decided my younger sister was finically Old Enough for a pet, so my mom bought her a baby Angora rabbit on an impulse. Within a few months, it got to be larger than our cats, and my sister got tired of/overwhelmed with taking care of it. It pooped, it stunk, and it was banished to living in a dog crate in the basement where it lived alone making GBS threads on itself and never having any interaction with people. After about six months of living like this, my mom took it to "live on a farm with lots of other bunnies."

I always felt awful about it, like I could have helped this bunny more than I did. Many, many years passed, and it came up one day in conversation with my mom. I asked her frankly, "C'mon, Mom...what really happened to that rabbit?"

She was like, ":confused: What do you mean? Your aunt [who is/was heavily involved in animal welfare and rescue] knew someone through work who worked with a small animal rescue and she took that rabbit to live with her. She had her spayed and as far as I know, she's still around!"

:unsmith:

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

My parents had two cats and one of them was quite feral, so he became an indoor/outdoor cat and he seemed much, much happier that way for three years.

Until I accidentally backed over him in the driveway.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I was six, and had a hamster named Goldie. I decided that I loved reading, my hamster must love reading too! I put it on my blanket, got a book, and started reading to her. I finished the book, and went to grab Goldie, but she wasn't on the bed. She was under the bed.

With my dog.

Who was eating her.

I had a similar situation when I was 11 or 12, I bought a couple gerbils and used to let them out in their ball to run around my room or the hallways. Unfortunately my family had a wiener dog who ended up chasing the ball, bumped it into a wall just enough to open the little twist-on lid, and got the gerbil. Didn't eat it but the injuries were enough that my dad had to take it outside and finish it off :(

E: also on fish chat - my sister had 2 bettas when we were kids and kept them both in a little 10 gallon tank. Since they're known to be aggressive, she put some plastic mesh in the middle to separate them. Didn't work for long and one got to the other and killed it. Shortly after my brother took the killer betta to a friend's house and fed it to his Oscar, I'll admit it was kinda fun watching those fish dart around (and then seeing the betta's head staring out the Oscar's mouth any time it breathed)

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 24, 2015

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Not my pet, but in middle school we were in a play and one of the "characters" in the script was a fish. It was a murder mystery type plot and the fishy was the victim. We talked about how to make a realistic looking fishbowl with a fish but then decided we'd like to have a REAL fishy instead!!!! So one girl convinced her mom to buy one the day before the actual production, planning to take it home as a pet afterward. It got carried all around backstage and shaken and probably dropped at some point (it was in a sealed jar/container) and by the end of the 30 minute play it was dead. Floating in the water. We all felt awful at the time, nobody intended that to happen, but now I think back and sort of wonder why the parents and teachers even let that happen.
:psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I accidentally killed one of my three cherry barbs while I was moving (I hadn't sealed the bucket as well as I thought I had and two of them tumbled out). There was a kind of cupholder-shaped hole in the back, and enough water landed in it that one of the other barbs was floating inside. She died of generic "I was the wrong temperature for a long time" fish disease a couple of days later. I've probably killed a bunch of the other fish by not cleaning the water right or getting the temperature a little bit wrong, but with fish, it's always pretty hard to tell if it was you or natural causes.

About a year ago, I made the decision not to keep my fish tank after the current batch of them die, and predictably, there's one blue that somehow keeps hanging on. They're dither fish and they like to school, so how this little guy has kept from freaking himself to death is a mystery to me. I still feed him and change his water, but we really want that tank gone, and there are times when I just stare and think about how easy it would be. Down the toilet with him.

I don't have the heart to do it, though. I was so upset about those barbs, I couldn't do it on purpose.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
So basically, don't let anyone under 10 or so have a pet, ever. Got it.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I once had a job doing yard work for a natural gas company and whacked a mole with weedwhacker. It died instantly but I felt terrible.

I MAY have killed my hamster by neglecting him. It's hard to say, he was a few years old, but I wasn't the best at making sure he always had food and water. We have rats now and they make it a point to let you know when they're out of something.

I killed my betta because I kept him in a filter-less vase and did regular water changes where I dumped ALL THE WATER OUT and refilled it all. Granted it was always RO water, but I was constantly removing any biofilter that built up.

A similar thing happened when a roommate and I bought a 10 gallon fish tank during college and filled it with cichlids. That was an obvious no-no, as they constantly fought with each other. We never did any water changes and eventually they were all murdered or died of nitrate poisoning. Needless to say, I did DAYS of researching before I set up my first tank (another little 10 gallon) as an adult. I got a Panda Cory shortly after cycling that tank and he is STILL alive and kicking in a planted 30 gallon!

Sadly, that same 30 gallon has played host to countless tetras that have gone carpet surfing. I should probably put some egg crate over my tank to stop that from happening again.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 26, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neitherman posted:

Sadly, that same 30 gallon has played host to countless tetras that have gone carpet surfing. I should probably put some egg crate over my tank to stop that from happening again.

Tetras really, really love to commit suicide. My brother had one take the floor dive (we finally found him after staring at the tank for probably an hour), and we still don't know how he did it. It was a pretty well-sealed tank and he would have had to try pretty hard to hop out of the small opening in the back.

Smurple Purple
Jun 25, 2015
When I was like 8, I had a pet hamster I despised with a passion. She was mean and she ate her babies. I never really held her or anything because she would bite the living poo poo out of you. I named her Ginger because of the one B-flick werewolf movie Ginger Snapped. Evil. Pure evil.

So one day I happened to be cleaning out her cage and I set it outside to air out with the cage door open hoping she'd run away. I went inside for a bit and came back and she was gone. Thank god! No more evilness and bloody fingers. The next day my neighbor was showing my dad a mouse he just killed in his house. It was Ginger... Kinda had a guilty conscious after that but it went away quickly when my mom bought me bird.

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

When I was 7 my mom bought me a hamster and hot dog was I pumped! I didn't ever land on a name because that night I shared some of my steak with my new buddy and next day she was dead. I didn't link the steak to death because I got a replacement, shared some roast beef and you guessed it.

I now own only animals who can eat steak, don't worry.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I guess it's not really my fault since I was a kid and had no control over it but I grew up on a farm and we always had lots of outdoors cats. They'd either wander over from other farms or were housepets dumped on our property by soulless garbage people. Oh yeah, the important thing is that our farm was right next to a busy 55 mph highway. Of the dozens of outdoor cats we had, only a few made it to old age. So that was pretty fun as a kid. Sometimes they'd get killed right by our driveway and I'd get to walk by the body while boarding the school bus. :) :) :) And then I got to wonder all day which cat it was and have my parents tell me when I got home.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was thankfully away when my dad hit one of the local cats with the minivan one day on the way to church. I heard my sister was in tears for hours after that. I probably would have been too, to be honest.

HondaCivet posted:

I guess it's not really my fault since I was a kid and had no control over it but I grew up on a farm and we always had lots of outdoors cats. They'd either wander over from other farms or were housepets dumped on our property by soulless garbage people. Oh yeah, the important thing is that our farm was right next to a busy 55 mph highway. Of the dozens of outdoor cats we had, only a few made it to old age. So that was pretty fun as a kid. Sometimes they'd get killed right by our driveway and I'd get to walk by the body while boarding the school bus. :) :) :) And then I got to wonder all day which cat it was and have my parents tell me when I got home.

Yeah, that's the downside of having a cat-herd outdoors. I lived outside city limits when I was growing up, surrounded by farms on all sides, and we had a little acreage as well, so farm cats would occasionally show up on our doorstep, and once I got it in my head to start feeding a couple in particular, the rest learned pretty quick where to go. But cats disappear and you worry, and they run across streets, and... y'know.

Actually, the worst incident I had was within 6 months of starting to drive, headed down the gravel road to my house, probably a bit too fast, and all of a sudden, BAM CAT out of nowhere, I couldn't maneuver to avoid it, and it met the front end of my car. I stopped for like, 4 minutes to have a panic attack and decide what to do, got out to check and make sure there was nothing I could do (it mercifully was killed instantly by the impact), and drove the last mile or so to my house, but I realized I should probably take the body off the road, so I drove back to put it in the ditch so no one else could hit it, and around the time I picked it up and put it down again, I was bawling something fierce. I got to my house, came in the door to my parents who were in the living room, I was bawling, and my mom hugged me while I tried to explain what had happened. After I calmed down, and we talked about it later that night, my dad told me that when I first started trying to explain, he couldn't quite understand me, and got really concerned because he thought I said that I had "hit a kid with my car".

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

When I was real young (probably 4 but not sure) we had a parakeet, one time mom was cleaning the cage but it was summer and we had a window open so she told me to hold him tightly so he wouldn't fly away... well, I ended up holding a bit too tight, it turns out. After that we got a kitten.. who ended up hiding under the reclining chair and got squished. Glad I didn't have to see that one. We did better after that though.

METATERREN
Jul 3, 2015

I enjoy putting things in my mouth.
As a kid, the neighbor girl put her pet rabbit into a tupperware container and put her under the bed to keep her safe.

The rabbit suffocated to death.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

METATERREN posted:

As a kid, the neighbor girl put her pet rabbit into a tupperware container and put her under the bed to keep her safe.

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

What an awful way to go.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

METATERREN posted:

If it's any consolation, the poor rabbit may have been so frightened that the fear killed it before it had the chance to suffocate. :(

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

My mother insisted that we didn't have to give hamsters water -- that they would get their water from their food, and that if we gave them water, they would stink more. We were kids, so we couldn't argue.

Three hamsters in a cage.

Within a week, two hamsters in a cage.

Within another week, one hamster in a cage, eating the other one.

I don't remember precisely how long it was between when we found the cannibalism and when we finally gave the survivor a water bottle, but he nearly died too.

Spent a long time drinking. Lived another two or three years after that.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Parahexavoctal posted:

My mother insisted that we didn't have to give hamsters water -- that they would get their water from their food, and that if we gave them water, they would stink more. We were kids, so we couldn't argue.

I don't remember precisely how long it was between when we found the cannibalism and when we finally gave the survivor a water bottle, but he nearly died too.

What the gently caress :cry: how many siblings did you start with and how many did you harvest for their blood and fluids

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

Spent a long time drinking.

Curiously, the same reaction most people will have after reading that post. :stare:

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

When I was a young teen I had 2 cats Captain Howdy and Debo. Howdy was an awesome sweet cat who liked to be held with his chin over your shoulder so he can hear your heart beat. He would just lay there forever and be held loudly purring. He never scratched people, only a couple of time by accident when I was holding him and he thought he was going to fall. He was an awesome cat. Debo was great too, he didn't liked to be held but was still pretty affectionate. Our neighbor found him among the corpses of his litter mates and nursed him back to health when he was small kitten. He was always very small, he was 8 weeks old when we got him but was like the size of 4 week old kitten and never really got better. He got sick during that huge pet food recall and also gotten a boil, so he's had some pretty bad health issues.

My mom got us evicted from our house and knowing her lied about having the SPCA rescue them. We were locked out for a month, so our cats were starving and drinking from the toilet to survive. It was heart breaking they were so skinny and Debo took up to hiding under our cabinets in fear. He only came out when he heard me calling him. They were so happy to see me. My mom most likely let them died alone and scared.

I wish they got new, loving home instead.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Parahexavoctal posted:

No offense but how did your mom manage to not kill her babies. I mean her human ones. How did you survive to adulthood. Are you a feral child?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sounds like your mom mistook hamsters for camels or something.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Sounds like your mom mistook hamsters for camels cacti or something.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This thread is equal parts depressing and horrifying but I can't stop reading it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What about stories where your pet (almost) killed its owner?

When I was 10 I had a cat for about a week until I had to be dragged one night to the er after an allergic reaction (I remember they helped me breathe with a respirator tube machine thingie).

That was my first pet too (I may have had a fish but I don't remember).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 6, 2015

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This thread is equal parts depressing and horrifying but I can't stop reading it.

It makes me a more careful hamster keeper.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have to admit whenever I'm in a pet store and I see a parent buying their young kid their first pet I wonder what sort of untimely demise will happen to it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hamsters make such cute noise too :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

On reconsideration, I'm actually wondering if this isn't referring to the hamster at all, and if Parahexavoctal died of misery a couple of years after mom invented Operation Desert Hamsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Bicyclops posted:

On reconsideration, I'm actually wondering if this isn't referring to the hamster at all, and if Parahexavoctal died of misery a couple of years after mom invented Operation Desert Hamsters.

Lmfao

• Locked thread