Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I accidentally killed one of my three cherry barbs while I was moving (I hadn't sealed the bucket as well as I thought I had and two of them tumbled out). There was a kind of cupholder-shaped hole in the back, and enough water landed in it that one of the other barbs was floating inside. She died of generic "I was the wrong temperature for a long time" fish disease a couple of days later. I've probably killed a bunch of the other fish by not cleaning the water right or getting the temperature a little bit wrong, but with fish, it's always pretty hard to tell if it was you or natural causes.

About a year ago, I made the decision not to keep my fish tank after the current batch of them die, and predictably, there's one blue that somehow keeps hanging on. They're dither fish and they like to school, so how this little guy has kept from freaking himself to death is a mystery to me. I still feed him and change his water, but we really want that tank gone, and there are times when I just stare and think about how easy it would be. Down the toilet with him.

I don't have the heart to do it, though. I was so upset about those barbs, I couldn't do it on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neitherman posted:

Sadly, that same 30 gallon has played host to countless tetras that have gone carpet surfing. I should probably put some egg crate over my tank to stop that from happening again.

Tetras really, really love to commit suicide. My brother had one take the floor dive (we finally found him after staring at the tank for probably an hour), and we still don't know how he did it. It was a pretty well-sealed tank and he would have had to try pretty hard to hop out of the small opening in the back.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

METATERREN posted:

As a kid, the neighbor girl put her pet rabbit into a tupperware container and put her under the bed to keep her safe.

The rabbit suffocated to death.

If it's any consolation, the poor rabbit may have been so frightened that the fear killed it before it had the chance to suffocate. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

Spent a long time drinking.

Curiously, the same reaction most people will have after reading that post. :stare:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

Spent a long time drinking. Lived another two or three years after that.

On reconsideration, I'm actually wondering if this isn't referring to the hamster at all, and if Parahexavoctal died of misery a couple of years after mom invented Operation Desert Hamsters.

• Locked thread