Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh and here's the full thing, cause I had a hot minute:
The 1290 SuperDuke was the first new motorcycle I ever bought. You can read about the my 1290 ownership experience in my previous threads, but if I'm being completely honest, the 1290 SuperDuke isn't actually the bike I wanted from KTM. What I really wanted was a 1290 SM-T. While the KTM excels at what it is laid out to do, the most compelling bikes KTM has made have always been the supermotos - in particular, the 990 SM-T. There's something about massive suspension travel paired with big power that makes for an awesome urban warfare vehicle. It's the bike that has your back no matter what you're throwing at it, with a large, upright, commanding riding position, high spec brakes, high spec suspension, and ideally a full electronics package.

A year after I got my KTM, the itch really started to get to me. So I did the preliminary research and looked for the possibilities, and it looked...possible. But at the time, it didn't make sense to turn the KTM into something different, as I was commuting on it every day, and I didn't really want to pull my street bike off the road for the build, and the concept stayed nascent.

Until, of course, I ended up converting a buddy's 1290 racebike back to a streetbike, and I casually dropped a line listing it for sale among friends, and sure enough, someone came out of the woodwork to buy it...and also ask if I'd be willing to do the supermoto build.

And so it began.

First acquisition was a lucky snipe of an Adventure R shock off of eBay, and discovery that the OEM exhaust on the 1290 offers millimeters of clearance between swingarm and exhaust. But an 1190 or 1290 Adventure header would bolt on directly and return ground clearance, and also fix the issues with the swingarm fouling on the OEM 1290 SuperDuke catalytic converter box.

Ready for shock install:

Because the header is shared between the 1290 and 1190, the design can be expected to be reasonable for the 1290 SuperDuke, despite slightly different tuning. With that, we hit the super exaggerated phase for the bike:

This brings total ride height in the rear up roughly 70mm, increasing rear travel to ~190mm, and increasing bottomed ride height by ~30mm.

And the side by side of the bike next to my stock ride height 1290:

And, of course, no prototype KTM would be complete without two tone wheels, so those went off to the powdercoater for the orange and white treatment.

Next up was forks. Research of variations between the WP fork designs, part number cross referencing, etc, eventually lead me to discover that any of the 48mm WP forks would bolt on and be compatible. I could explore swapping the fork bottoms as well, but axle sizes have been the same between KTMs for years while cartridge designs have changed, so some more exploring lead me to discovering 950 SM forks would offer 200mm of travel, with roughly +15mm of ride height at full bottom, while maintaining the same upper fork length. They also had dual front rotors, that would be a straight bolt on for the M50 SuperDuke calipers. A set of forks was found on ebay, and bolted on:

The rest of the front end was sorted out by brake spacers spun out by the ever helpful WW Resto, Venhill custom lines in orange, and a 950 lower beak. I also found that the lower front fender mount would fit the front wheel sensor, so that was a pleasant bonus.

At this point, I zip tied on the front beak and fit everything to see how it would line up, and it seemed to be coming together ok:

Despite the street cred of running your supermoto without a kickstand, it was decided to be slightly more sociable and replace the speed block for the kickstand with an 1190 Adventure kickstand, giving it some independence from the usual supermoto style of leaning the bike against anything that would hold it up at a stop:

Next up was getting the seating position right - that meant replicating the 1190 Adventure design, which has the footpeg mounts going straight into the frame. Obviously that wouldn't work for this build, but I quickly machined up a prototype rearset that adapted the normal rearset mount to something that would accept ADV-R foot pegs, and some ebaying found me a 640 Adventure rear brake lever that would work for the use case. The prototype parts are...industrial, to say the least, but will be replaced by a more aesthetically pleasing set now that the design has been proven out. On the shifter side, an Adventure R shifter bolts right on and clears everything.

Handlebar height and sweep was fixed by a 690 Duke bar, which is absurdly tall for a Duke 690, but just perfect for a 1290 SM-R. The Venhill lines made this side of the swap very easy.

At this point the bike was actually rideable, although with some caveats, the exhaust mount was ~90mm behind the OEM mounting point, and the exhaust was somewhat spaced out from where it should be. And so I rode it to work for the first time, after dropping the forks a few MM in the triples to try and get the handling just right - and as it all turns out, I managed to nail the geometry in the bounds of normal straight out of the gate - it handled beautifully, although the rear was quite oversprung at this point, with the 1190 having a much longer swingarm and running a higher spring rate as a result.

And with that, it was time to fit the front fender - as it turns out, 60mm fork mounts aren't exactly in common supply, but a 61mm Harley Davidson fork brace can be machined down, tapped a bit, and pressed into service as a fork mount for the upper fender. It's rather appropriate, I guess. With the handguards installed, now the bike looked like this:

And with that, the bike was turned over to the owner for some final items, like getting 90mm chopped out of the exhaust (thanks to Dennis at Norman Racing in Berkeley for super quick turnaround on that!). And of course, because the natural thing to do with a SuperMoto is to send it awkward places, it was time to throw TKC 80s, an 1190 Adventure skidplate, a guard to protect the R/R, and some mirrors on it and send it to the SheetIron 300.

And yes, it's a completely inappropriate bike for that, and we learned some lessons about that. But you don't stress test a bike to discover how little it can do, you stress test a bike to discover how far it can go. And we learned that, although ironically the head splits weren't the problem...but that's a story for a little later:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Very cool! A question about the forks, as the 950 is an older bike, are they technically 'worse' than the original 1290 forks, or modern Adventure forks would have been? Of doesn't that stuff change that quickly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

High Protein posted:

Very cool! A question about the forks, as the 950 is an older bike, are they technically 'worse' than the original 1290 forks, or modern Adventure forks would have been? Of doesn't that stuff change that quickly.

Yeah, they're the previous generation - they don't have independent rebound and compression damping in each fork leg like the 1290 SD/ 1190 Adventure forks. But suspension is about setup and those forks are capable of just as good a setup as anything else out there for urban assault, random offroad, and casual track stuff. Certainly if you wanted to throw money at them you could get better stuff with Ohlins or WP upgraded cartridges but at the end of the day it's gonna all be the same. WP makes very nice suspension and even the previous generation stuff is still really good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Dear god. Looks like a lot of fun when IF(lol) you catch traction.
I think this is more accurate. That does look amazingly fun and a great way to hurt yourself.

Z3n if I can track down a cheap spare RS125 frame/swingarm and CRF250/450 engine interested in doing a build?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That unfortunately requires a bit more fab work than I'm willing to take on at the moment :(

Next build likely to be a 2016 R1 street fighter. :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

That unfortunately requires a bit more fab work than I'm willing to take on at the moment :(

Next build likely to be a 2016 R1 street fighter. :)

Step 1. Remove Fairings
Step 2. Crack a beer?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gotta have the handlebars, man!

As to how it actually looks in the end, well, we shall see...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Nice project. Did you consider putting on 21/19" tires? That'd give you more options for not-DOT legal knobbies which might get you the absurd grip you need.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Signed back into SA because I saw your post on BARF.

I thought a KTM 990SM/SMT/SMR would be a fun bike but I change my mind.

THIS is what I need.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Cycle Asylum > Z3n's Project Thread: The Island of Doctor Motardeau

gently caress, I really want a 1290 SuperAdventure SM-R. Do you think the same evil can be done with a Tuono V4R and a Dorsoduro? :flashfap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Nice project. Did you consider putting on 21/19" tires? That'd give you more options for not-DOT legal knobbies which might get you the absurd grip you need.

21/19s would be a giant pain in the rear end with the SSA - SSA spoked hubs are not cheap. That's why the Czech guys that did that Erzberg 1290 build swapped the swingarm/forks, and lost the TC/ABS in the process. I explicitly didn't want to lose those things, so keeping OEM wheel sizes was a requirement :)

EvilCrayon posted:

Signed back into SA because I saw your post on BARF.

I thought a KTM 990SM/SMT/SMR would be a fun bike but I change my mind.

THIS is what I need.

If you bring me a 1290 and 4-5k, I'll make you one.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Cycle Asylum > Z3n's Project Thread: The Island of Doctor Motardeau

gently caress, I really want a 1290 SuperAdventure SM-R. Do you think the same evil can be done with a Tuono V4R and a Dorsoduro? :flashfap:

Yeah, probably. I'd have to look at how the Tuono V4 swingarm/shock mounts work, it'd probably require a custom shock instead of a durosoduro shock swap, and the parts would be harder to come by, but I'm sure it could be done. I'm not quite sure what the point would be on something like that, but hell, it's not like there's a "point" to this thing either.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Love it. KTM used to run a custom competition but I think no longer, reckon you'd be a strong contender, looks really together and well executed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have a line on a 2016 R1 for a streetfighter project. Completed bike, customized and ready to go, would be less than MSRP on a new R1. Anyone interested? Under 100 miles, bone stock. Racer friend tore ACL, isn't going to have a chance to race it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If no one takes you up on it I'll start a gofundme just to see the project take shape. :allears: I wish I had that kind of cash lying around.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I see that tag on Facebook tempting me...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You should do it. It's the only natural endpoint. :P

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buddy made a video of the fun had during the sheet iron:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZzy9vk1uo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are a magician. That sumoduke looks even better than I had imagined. Great execution through and through. Thanks for posting up all of those pictures and info. Is it running tubes now in those wheels?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

You are a magician. That sumoduke looks even better than I had imagined. Great execution through and through. Thanks for posting up all of those pictures and info. Is it running tubes now in those wheels?

Thanks! Not running tubes, which would have maybe saved us some grief during the sheet iron. But no tubes was significantly better for yesterday and today's track use:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Thanks! Not running tubes, which would have maybe saved us some grief during the sheet iron. But no tubes was significantly better for yesterday and today's track use:

With infinite money I'd think you'd want two sets of wheels, no?

This is still just an absurd, fantastic idea. Makes me chuckle when I think about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2 sets of wheels would be real nice, but isn't in the budget for either me or the owner of the 1290 SM. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The wheelie bump on Thunderhill West is pretty interesting.

And the 1290 SM handles track pretty drat well:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Someone got new leathers :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm pretty stoked with them :3:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I thought Helimot stopped making suits? Or was that part of their last run?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

I thought Helimot stopped making suits? Or was that part of their last run?

Yeah, part of their last run :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is the guy on the R1, in fact, a giant?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Is the guy on the R1, in fact, a giant?

They're just small bikes :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rise, and ride again:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
CBX-1000? That engine is *so* wide. Now put it in a supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Default reaction to any project I do, haha.

Engine tear down starts this weekend, going to send a bunch of stuff out for WPC coating. Should be neat!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those things sound so drat good. I'd love to make the ultimate audio/video compilation of one, but without being a pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I might try and convince my buddy with the 1290 to do some stuff to document the CBX build. Also have more videos of the 1290 inbound.

On to the CBX:
I had debated the right approach to this bike a few times, but in the end, it's probably going to go something like this:
Tear down engine to cases, check spinny metal bits with plastigauge, if they're good they go to WPC shop for treatment. Non-spinny metal bits get vapor blasted back to bare aluminum, and clear coated. Order all parts for an internal refresh. Reassemble engine.

While that is going on, the steering stem goes off to a buddy for fit into the ZRX triples. Spacer is made for rear swingarm. Alternative shock mount is made to fit the wider ZRX swingarm shocks/mounts. Gauge cluster is disassembled and fit into a more modern gauge assembly. Custom headlight mounts are made for the Ducati scrambler headlight. ABS plumbing and install is done.

Once this is all done, the bike is rideable. At this point it gets ridden for a bit, is checked for straightness by GP frame and wheel, taken to a trackday, and the engine gets dropped again, frame, swingarm, triples, wheels, rearsets, go to powdercoat, fairing bits go to painter. Key is retrofit for an RFID ignition. Probably make custom switchgear at this point as well.

Longer term at this point is build some form of custom exhaust that looks appropriately modern and vintage.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Z3n posted:

On to the CBX:
... taken to a trackday,....

Please tell me it'll be ready by October... too optimistic?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's the plan!

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! Can't wait. :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
AW. shiiiiit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Good news! CBX has a bore kit in it!

Bad news! Company doesn't exist any more and headgaskets for their oddball +2mm overbore don't exist anymore!

FML, old bike problems.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Time to call up Cometic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Time to call up Cometic!

This seems like the best option. Also, any insight on finding oddball piston wrist pin clips?

• Locked thread