Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

My wife really wants to spend some time on a beach in Mexico. However, she comes from a place where one guy getting stabbed in 2004 means it's dangerous. She wants to go to some tourist-prison all inclusive resort. All I want is to know I'm in Mexico, but she's never really done a beach trip and I have. I figure it's more important to get what she wants this time. I can certainly appreciate a good beach trip and there's the potential for a cultural trip later on.

Basically pretend I'm the guy from the Monty Python travel agent sketch. I've already mentally taken the loss with everything else, but what I'm hoping for is a place that doesn't have glorified mall food. I want to eat local food with local ingredients. I can deal with the rest being touristy and white bread if it makes my wife feel safe. And just to be clear, yes, I know there's more to Mexican cuisine than Taqueria food. She's most interested in the area around Cancun but is open to other Mexican beaches.

Does anyone know of an all inclusive that doesn't just try to be Orlando, Florida? I realize that most people who want local culture wouldn't go to a resort, and I'm prepared to take one for the team if I have to. Our budget is flexible if everyone's happy. if not we'll be looking for a good value. We're doing our own research as well but if anyone knows anything we'd really appreciate it.

If you're willing/able to break out of Central America, and aren't looking for significant historical sites, then check out Madagascar. The resorts see a lot of international activity, are generally pretty isolated, are very safe, and don't try to cater to a very specific tourist crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread