Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Im originally an 04

And I'm a 2000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Guys id let this one go. He's an... Interesting... Poster.

(Originally an 00')

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Since this also served as the thread for The Brink - The Brink has be unrenewed/canceled

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/27/brink-canceled

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Joose Caboose posted:

Since this also served as the thread for The Brink - The Brink has be unrenewed/canceled

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/27/brink-canceled

God damnit.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That's incredibly stupid. I enjoyed Ballers but having that succeed and Brink fail makes no sense to me.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think the Brink will end up as one of those shows that people will get around to watching eventually and wonder why the hell it was cancelled. Maybe it is something Netflix will try to pick up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, Brink was incredible all season. It is a loving shame they aren't getting another couple seasons. I blame the marketing - I had never heard of it besides offhand comments in this thread, and it is the sort of thing that is extremely my jam. I can't imagine how many potential viewers simply never knew about it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, Brink was incredible all season. It is a loving shame they aren't getting another couple seasons. I blame the marketing - I had never heard of it besides offhand comments in this thread, and it is the sort of thing that is extremely my jam. I can't imagine how many potential viewers simply never knew about it.

I saw a few commercials for it before it aired, but there was absolutely no insight into what we actually saw, and I never saw anything after it started airing that really changed that. There's also the issue of just how much was outright farce and how much was thinly veiled criticism? Like the writers were trying to show how smart they were and not how funny they were.

quote:

the series was addled by low buzz and modest ratings.

This is because it didn't get its own thread! :argh:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I only learned of Brink from this very thread.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe they canceled Brink because they couldn't come up with a solid enough screenplay for the second season. Or the actors didn't want to commit again.

I would have loved to see more of it, but maybe it wasn't just the networks axing a "mediocre" show?

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Kingtheninja posted:

That's incredibly stupid. I enjoyed Ballers but having that succeed and Brink fail makes no sense to me.

Somehow I want to believe that a dumbass exec had two folders in his hand and dropped the wrong one in the bin :(

The Brink was fantastic, and even though it probably had a very limited lifespan due to using most of their comedy up in season 1, there was still room for a solid season 2. Shame.

At least it ended as a closed book and not a stupid cliff hanger ending.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Brink was so much fun, this is a shame.
I want to believe it was just too expensive to produce with that cast and the location shoots.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Yo, it's time to ball again.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm excited for more wacky hijinks from professional athletes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Nobody watching this? The hi jinks of Joe and Reggie were pretty hilarious. I could watch a full episode on that.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Nobody watching this? The hi jinks of Joe and Reggie were pretty hilarious. I could watch a full episode on that.

I'm watching it, but it's not compelling or dramatic. Like they have plenty of material to work with like concussions/CTE/NFL coverup, corruption, sycophants & hangers-on, cutthroat agents, etc., but the show just kind of drops any interesting thread with a quickly wrapped up 'and everything worked out fine'.

For example, the season 1 subplot of the Rock's concussions could have been interesting, but it was wrapped up with 'finally got an MRI, everything's fine, just normal headaches". Reggie was an interesting antagonist as the 'personal manager' draining Vernon's bank accounts.

Also the Rock's character's reluctance to get basic healthcare befuddles me. He spent most of season 1 reluctant to get an MRI, this season he's reluctant to get a hip replacement, at best a 1-day procedure, but instead prefers to abuse vicodin. It's Entourage Lite.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Agreed, I'm watching it but I'm not intrigued. The show has the opportunity for nuance but just doesn't care, so neither do I.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Brink got cancelled because it was more accurate to the inner workings of Washington DC than any political drama in the history of Hollywood.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Brink got cancelled because it was more accurate to the inner workings of Washington DC than any political drama in the history of Hollywood.

Accurate does not garner views. Entertainment does. Also I am pretty sure House of Cards is the Silicon Valley of DC Politics.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Accurate does not garner views. Entertainment does. Also I am pretty sure House of Cards is the Silicon Valley of DC Politics.

You apparently don't realize how accurate Silicon Valley is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Silicon Valley thread is routinely the best thread in TVIV because some of the engineers and tech guys that watch it don't realize the show is poking fun at them.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol a dude in sneakers on the beach running a hand timed 4.58 is loving hilarious. They should be embarrassed

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Dave posted:

You apparently don't realize how accurate Silicon Valley is.

I am saying SV is accurate in depicting real SV. Do you not think House of Cards has some truth to real politics? Minus the murder I am sure the power plays and underhand and backdoor deals do exist in real life politics.

Take for example Hilary getting her campaign manager in 2012 to be the head of the DNC in 2016 and railroading Bernie and making the former head of DNC her VP. That's some Frank Underwood type poo poo right there imo.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This season is watchable, but just barely.

Something of consequence needs to actually happen

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

This season is watchable, but just barely.

Something of consequence needs to actually happen

They're sticking with the Entourage playbook in which things always work out for the lead actor of the show (and there are always hot women in bikinis around during business and plot progression dialogue).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, something finally happened, even if they've been telegraphing it for the entire season.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Cop scene was pretty funny. I imagine that's what it's like every time a street bike goes by doing 140.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Cop scene was pretty funny. I imagine that's what it's like every time a street bike goes by doing 140.

I just really hope the next episode doesn't start with Ricky learning that his father wrapped his present around a telephone pole at 160mph shortly after that scene, and start going all wiggy about how his considering the Rams' offer hosed up his karma again. The whole scene seemed more involved than just a "cops say 'gently caress it'" scene.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just really hope the next episode doesn't start with Ricky learning that his father wrapped his present around a telephone pole at 160mph shortly after that scene, and start going all wiggy about how his considering the Rams' offer hosed up his karma again. The whole scene seemed more involved than just a "cops say 'gently caress it'" scene.

I think there would have been more implication of this then just him speeding in a expensive car if that was going to happen. I know if I was driving a car like that for the first time I would probably do 140 on an open stretch. Would be hard not to.

aggybong
Sep 25, 2003
goob
I actually like the show, and I'm surprised there aren't more posts about it.

The most recent episode had some nice backstory with Andre, but I agree, they take the safe route and nobody ever seems to be in real trouble, just like Entourage.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I really enjoy Rocktourage too. The Rock and Rob Corddry are amazing and have awesome chemistry. It's a fun show. I'm not on the edge of my seat over compelling drama or anything, but I didn't go into it expecting that.

I think they're doing a good job making Spencer's issue with drugs come to a head, though. Just enough to make me think that maybe Vince wont' be able to do the movie he's gonna be able to do the movie

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I think they're doing a good job making Spencer's issue with drugs come to a head, though. Just enough to make me think that maybe Vince wont' be able to do the movie he's gonna be able to do the movie

Nothing is certain until Sasha Grey shows up.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Has this season improved? I enjoyed season 1, but the premiere ep of S2 drove this show off my watchlist.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Holyshoot posted:

I am saying SV is accurate in depicting real SV. Do you not think House of Cards has some truth to real politics? Minus the murder I am sure the power plays and underhand and backdoor deals do exist in real life politics.

Take for example Hilary getting her campaign manager in 2012 to be the head of the DNC in 2016 and railroading Bernie and making the former head of DNC her VP. That's some Frank Underwood type poo poo right there imo.

House of Cards is about as accurate as House MD.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kinda feels like they're trying to make Spencer the villain.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Periodiko posted:

House of Cards is about as accurate as House MD.

So the politics between politicians is a lot more boring?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

MrBuddyLee posted:

Has this season improved? I enjoyed season 1, but the premiere ep of S2 drove this show off my watchlist.

I've watched every episode this season, and no.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This season's focus on Spencer's opioid addiction is a good corollary to Johnson's *actual* abuse of steroids (and overeating of cod) and whatnot which no one cares about because he's a nice guy that ultimately will suffer the same fate as Michael Clarke Duncan.

On The Rock's tombstone it will read "He died so that we could have a big pumped-up Pacific Islander in our movies."

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

When did Reggie get so jacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Season finale tonight and I'm sure I can convince nobody of this but I honestly felt that the one key scene towards the end - Spencer addresses the players - was earned and the best work The Rock has ever done. Still hurting from the night before and disheveled, he laid it all out and it just resonated.

• Locked thread