Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Congratulations to the Super Bowl champion Miami Dolphins ! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOJwcMCAqI -Trailer 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkxL9hb1Pw - Trailer 2

Dwayne Johnson plays Spencer Strasmore, former linebacker for the Miami Dolphins who-like most pro athletes when they retire-is at a loss for what to do now. He is hired by Joe (Rob Corddry) to recruit his friends/former teammates as clients for Anderson Financial. Haunted by the way his career ended he does his best not only to help them hold onto their money but also to guide them through celebrity life in the social media age. However his own financial problems, the physical toll of pro football and desire to stay in the jet-set life threaten his professional and personal relationships.

Omar Benson Miller as Charles Greane, former offensive lineman for the Tampa Bay Bucs and friend of Spencer and Ricky. Struggling with life after football, and apparently a bit uncomfortable that he never achieved the notoriety of his peers, he gets a job as a salesman at a Chevy dealership in the pilot.
He decides to make a comeback in episode 8.

John David Washington as Ricky Jerret. Hot tempered, wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins who was released by the Green Bay Packers following an altercation at a nightclub that went viral.

Donovan Carter as Vernon Littlefield, a promising defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys who is struggling meeting the demands of taking care of his "family". He borrows 300,000 from Spencer in exchange for signing as one of his clients.

London Brown as Reggie, childhood friend and de facto business manager of Vernon's who is squandering his money

Troy Garity as Jason, Ricky and Vernon's current agent as well as Spencer's former agent.

Jazmyn Simon as Julie Greane, Charles's wife

Anabelle Acosta as Annabella, Ricky's former girlfriend

Dule Hill as Larry Siefert , the General Manager of the Dolphins who is responsible for signing Ricky
and for Charles's comeback.

Arielle Kebbel as Tracy Leggette, a sideline reporter for the Dolphins and Spencer's love interest

Richard Schiff as Mr. Anderson, head of the financial advisory firm that employs Spencer and Joe.

Peter Berg as (?), head coach of the Miami Dolphins

DeSean Jackson, Steven Jackson, Antonio Brown, Don Shula, Larry Csonka, Rick Ross, Jon Beason, Dan LeBatard, Lamarr Woodley, Victor Cruz, Jay Glazer, Chris "Birdman" Andersen and Giancarlo Stanton as themselves

*Apparently NOT totally Entourage for sports fans yet (according to the Hollywood reporter)- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/ballers-tv-review-799918. But actually Entourage for sports fans according to Slate - http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/06/18/hbo_s_ballers_could_have_been_the_first_great_nfl_tv_show_instead_it_s_entourage.html

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Didnt really watch Entourage so i dont have much of a basis to make that comparison and its a series premier but overall i enjoyed it. There were some weird moments (the rock getting flashed while delivering the eulogy and the frat dude who acosted Ricky) but it seems worth the half hour commitment for now especially as bit of a pick me up from Drunk Assholes aka True Detective

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 22, 2015

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

physeter posted:

Hopefully they get in some great cameos. There are so many deadbeat or still baller ex pro-athletes (and their families) in this town that they'd really be missing out if they didn't make the effort.

It did seem that they would be going cameo heavy with so many in the pilot (Djax, Antonio Brown, Don Shula) but none in the second episode so it remains to be seen where they're going with that.

The show is actually using NFL team names and likenesses without league permission but its yet to be seen whether or not theyre going to get pissy about that though I doubt it unless we get deep into Playmakers territory. Hard Knocks is still starting in August as normal so i doubt it will get that serious for now.

EDIT:

Jon Do posted:

I figured it was his chick hiding money from him, but I can't remember if he's been shown to be single or not.

There was someone else in his bed in the pilot and with him at the movie theater. According to the wiki he's involved with an ESPN sideline reporter (not Arielle Kebbel's character) but she hasn't been introduced onscreen yet.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 1, 2015

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Regnevelc posted:

Between this show and 'The Brink' HBO has killed it with new series this go round. I love them both.

Anyone else think there will be a hacking storyline due to the photos ? Do I even need to spoiler that?

Dont think so. It's already been alluded to it in trailers so afaik its alright.

I dont really think the photo stroyline will be that it was hacking or even necessarily Reggie being malicious but just rich dudes in their early 20s posting that poo poo on social media is just because that's what happens.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
They're definitely doing something right as it's been already been renewed for next year

http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-renews-ballers-second-season-222119

VVVVV: Not "Tell Me You Love Me" :sigh:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 14, 2015

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
A flickr account? Is this 2007?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Duggler posted:

The outro music was so good last week, I just got around to watching the episode. Is tonight the season finale? I know true detective ends today but is ballers going past 8?

Ballers (I'm sure) and The Brink (I think) are 10 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

pentyne posted:

Isn't 10 the HBO standard? They haven't done a 12-22ep season since season 3 of Entourage and that was split into half. LWT doesn't count because its a live news program.

It is but the fact that True Detective is ending tonight after 8 is throwing people off.

• Locked thread