Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

Waroduce posted:

They do its called the rookie symposium and everyone goes and no one listens

The UFC does this for its fighters too. And it's usually the ones who have a modicum of financial survival instinct who tweet pictures of other fighters sleeping through that class.

I like to think of this show as a Greek tragedy. The Rock is fruitlessly trying to prevent young players from following his footsteps into financial ruin and bankruptcy. But he's the captain desperately trying to bail out a sinking ship.

And the Reggie character is straight out of the Broke 30 for 30 and every Behind The Music I've ever seen. It's like rule #1, your idiot friend is not a competent financial manager. Worse than a leech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Reggie was the one who convinced Vern to stay, do drugs and took the pictures

I thought it was that the lawyer had information that the average groupie wouldn't, like privileged knowledge about the deal, and that's what made it click for the Rock.

notaspy posted:

Some 11th dimensional chess poo poo I guess.

If the rock fails he swoops in and make it go away.

Or he has a deal with the shady lawyer where when the rock turns up and says $500k, Reggie gets all pissy and says "I can get them for $200k, you're just trying to screw the money Vernon owes you out of the deal"

Or he just an idiot.

I thought at first it was Reggie just scheming and splitting it with the lawyer, but this makes way more sense. It's a power play since he could tell Rock was going to try to freeze him out. I hope Rock saves the day in time :ohdear:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Strip club team meetings were part of what got Richie incognito in trouble, so a titty-bar bonding session isn't that contrived.

As for the dude not putting his pants on, a former player got arrested for jackin' it outside a target in a parking lot about a year ago, again it's not that unusual.

I know they're showing a lot of it, but players doing stupid poo poo is pretty much what you see week in and week out in the NFL offseason.

The scum lawyers Machete charge speech was a little dumb but it didn't seem like that big of a stretch. Besides this show has been advertised as light entertainment in the same vein as entourage from day one.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I didn't exactly go into this expecting much more than simple-ish plot lines, athletes doing fun and dumb stuff while cracking jokes at each other, some boobs, good music and player cameos. Which is pretty much what we've seen. It's not emmy worthy writing but for 28 minutes you get some cheap laughs, someone to hate and the Rock being the Rock.

You guys wouldn't believe the poo poo I saw for like 6 months working as a legal clerk in the military. And those are guys with the same education level as NFL players, getting paid like $2/hour by Uncle Sam.

All the dumb poo poo is perfectly feasible.

E: although I do want to know why there's generic Reebok crossfit b-roll footage in the opening credits.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 27, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

Reggie's getting a bad rap. He's a dick, but he's looking out for the guy he grew up with and has this preconceived notion that the world of sports is racist as hell and his friend is always going to be undervalued and shafted on money deals.

Maybe there's more to it but while Reggie is a huge prick, he's not malicious or vindictive. He doesn't trust all these new guys in their expensive suits to look out for his best friend's career to their fullest. He's arrogant, naive, and completely out of his element but his biggest concern is getting his buddy the fat paycheck Reggie thinks he's worth.

I would tend to agree, if Reggie wasn't blowing through Vernon's money as fast as he can. He's looking out for Vernon's best interests insofar as it's the only way he gets to do cocaine off strippers, drive McLarens and throw money in the air at restaurants. He's a remora, a parasite. He's also as close to a villain as it gets on this softball show, but the opposite characterization, of an rear end in a top hat player burning through his money as the humble hometown friend tries to keep him in check would also be interesting. Basically I wish they would go harder on the economic aspect.

I'm guessing in the next episode that TMZ or whoever tracks down Ricky's dad and forces some kind of confrontation.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Yeah seriously the ballers intro song makes me want to party almost every time I hear it how can you hate it?!

The unrelated crossfit b-footage PUMPS ME UP for professional athletes making terrible life decisions BUT THEY OWN RARE CARS.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

AAA DOLFAN posted:

And go on big boats. And bang hot chicks. Don't sell it short!

Also there's a house full of naked, promiscuous supermodels at all times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Nobody watching this? The hi jinks of Joe and Reggie were pretty hilarious. I could watch a full episode on that.

I'm watching it, but it's not compelling or dramatic. Like they have plenty of material to work with like concussions/CTE/NFL coverup, corruption, sycophants & hangers-on, cutthroat agents, etc., but the show just kind of drops any interesting thread with a quickly wrapped up 'and everything worked out fine'.

For example, the season 1 subplot of the Rock's concussions could have been interesting, but it was wrapped up with 'finally got an MRI, everything's fine, just normal headaches". Reggie was an interesting antagonist as the 'personal manager' draining Vernon's bank accounts.

Also the Rock's character's reluctance to get basic healthcare befuddles me. He spent most of season 1 reluctant to get an MRI, this season he's reluctant to get a hip replacement, at best a 1-day procedure, but instead prefers to abuse vicodin. It's Entourage Lite.

• Locked thread