Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

There's been two episodes and I have no idea what The Rock's character's deal is beyond "don't end up like me". I feel like there's been really slight hints that he might be a total maniac struggling to keep it under control (the suddenness with which he bailed at the party, etc), but if that's the case they really need to have some sort of payoff soon.

As it is the first episode was him convincing the one player to be his client, and then the second episode was...getting him to sign and make it official? Maybe if the episodes were longer they'd be able to fit that all in one, and it'd feel more momentous and coherent.

I wanna see The Rock being charismatic and charming and intimidating as he needs to be in every situation.

The secondary cast seems sort of thin in its handling as well. If the show doesn't ramp poo poo up in the third and fourth episodes then I have no idea what the plan is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Oasx posted:

And what does his firm get out of managing other peoples money?

They get paid, since managing money is what they do.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Show of hands: Who here just wanted this to be Pain and Gain: The Series?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Last Buffalo posted:

This is more a fault of the show's writing than anything else, but they don't make a great case for the Rock being a good businessman or a wise alternative to Reggie.

The Rock's character has done little but spout a few canned words of wisdom, say "look man I've been there, take it from me" and get people to sign up. It's his job; it's what he knows he was hired for. I'm still waiting for The Rock to snap and go on a bender, or start doing some monstrous power plays because he's been talked up as a relentless maniac on the field.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I really do think that the guy who bankrupted himself, save for a few grand he had stashed in a forgotten account, in the first episode, is good with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I think the season resolution of Spence admitting he's flawed and addressing his problems and getting his hip replacement is a really nice little package of honest to god development. I like it!

• Locked thread