Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

fishmech posted:

Texas is full of idiots? I don't see how that's relevant to your repeated defense of outrageous coach salaries and the college sports scam in general.

There are much more than 80,000 people attending college sports in all the trash states, and they're a much more relevant part of the local population m

The NFL lets its players kill themselves without even acknowledging a problem. I think people can like something but also want it to change.

You are a loving idiot.

Alst fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sports.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wuet88 posted:

The NFL lets its players kill themselves without even acknowledging a problem. I think people can like something but also want it to change.

You are a loving idiot.

College sports is also letting people kill themselves only they don't even get paid.

He also sees no issue with the ludicrous levels of coach compensation and spending on everything but the athletes. He does not think those things need to change.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dude I didn't even get into defending that opinion but nobody wants to read it in this thread. Judging from your rap sheet you are terrible at this anyway and also have little knowledge of the subject matter you just want to make a fiscal statement. Just let it die.

vvv posting one Forbes link is not the complete summation of my argument

kiimo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 8, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Dude I didn't even get into defending that opinion but nobody wants to read it in this thread. Judging from your rap sheet you are terrible at this anyway and also have little knowledge of the subject matter you just want to make a fiscal statement. Just let it die.

You repeatedly posted things like "but the team is worth so much" to defend it. You got really into defending it.

Also Kansas' entire loving problem is people making the wrong fiscal statements which is why the state is loving collapsing under Brownback.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Without getting into sports specific topics are you somehow under the impression that Self is paid with university or tax dollars? Because he is paid with private donor dollars. Donors who want a successful program. Or are you pissed he's taking advantage of legal tax breaks?

Because if so, the answer isn't attacking individuals who take advantage of the law, the problem is the law itself. And one thing I can promise is there is little love lost between Kansas government and ultra liberal University of Kansas. Since you keep changing your point it's hard to stay on track.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Eh, the athletic association could still use 4mil of that salary to outright poach and buy out two really good researchers and their labs per year and begin fleshing out their research portfolio while still making the coach a millionaire.

I think some of this comes down to seeing opportunities to invest in the kind of poo poo that gives a university truly meaningful opportunities to STEM students (grad and undergrad names on published research) while building up a war chest of faculty whose incomes can be directly billed to sponsors interested in the public benefit or industrial applications of their research.

Sports spending is fine; I think though that some of us will always fantasize about what else that money could do.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You missed the point that private donors won't donate as much if their donations go to research. And by the way building renovations for sports teams are from donors as wel. You shouldn't assume sports is taking money from loftier goals.

People can spend their discretionary income however they see fit and you shouldn't judge them for spending it on Ball goes into hole just because Brownback hosed up roads and elementary schools. It isn't basketball's fault the good people of Kansas elected morons.

Not to mention that basketball is one of the few things in Kansas actually generating money.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Without getting into sports specific topics are you somehow under the impression that Self is paid with university or tax dollars? Because he is paid with private donor dollars. Donors who want a successful program. Or are you pissed he's taking advantage of legal tax breaks?

Because if so, the answer isn't attacking individuals who take advantage of the law, the problem is the law itself. And one thing I can promise is there is little love lost between Kansas government and ultra liberal University of Kansas. Since you keep changing your point it's hard to stay on track.

He is paid with university dollars if he's being paid from "private donors". His salary is drawn from university accounts. I'm really baffled how you don't understand this.

Once again his salary is indefensible and the money should mostly be spent on the actual job of the university. And if donors really did stop spending as much money on the sports program because the man only gets $1 million a year, why the gently caress should anyone care?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 8, 2017

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Stop getting fishmeched you morons

What's the chances of Brownback tax policy going national now?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

College sports is overall a scam. Colleges generally lose money on their athletics programs or get convinced to build ridiculous sports buildings they just plain don't need. It's a racket top to bottom but you'll never, ever get rid of it because :siren: ENROLLMENT :siren:

There's a lot of Hollywood-style creative accounting that happens in colleges, mostly (and especially because of) when it comes to their athletics programs. The reason these athletics departments are building brand new state of the art sports training facilities while the school itself is posting losses or just barely breaking even is because State Colleges are inherently suppose to be non-profit. They have to make these big showy expenditures because if the end of the year comes and they post that they've made 50 million in net profit it endangers their non-profit status for tax and government funding purposes. The money has to be spent somewhere and because sponsorship and ad-revenue dollars are what's bringing in a large chunk of that, may as well put it into the sports facilities rather than the educational ones.

Honestly, they really ought to cut the coachs' paychecks in half and distribute that money to the players because those kids are pretty much the only ones not seeing any money out of this whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

Edit: More on topic -

Ol Standard Retard posted:

A Kansas Legislator was found dead in her hotel room tonight.

Hits particularly close to home as my wife was one of the people who was a primary backer of the campaign to unseat Rep. Terrell's predecessor, the inimitably awful (except perhaps Ol Brownie himself) Jan Pauls.

This is the legislator from my district and I really, really liked her at our county democratic party meetings. I hope there isn't foul play or something seeing as how this happened on the eve after this tax plan override. She made it sound like she had a lot to do with convincing the more moderate republicans to turn on Brownback the way she talked about things.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 8, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo.

KU sucks.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

This is the legislator from my district and I really, really liked her at our county democratic party meetings. I hope there isn't foul play or something seeing as how this happened on the eve after this tax plan override. She made it sound like she had a lot to do with convincing the more moderate republicans to turn on Brownback the way she talked about things.

I did some digging last night and her family said she died of natural causes. So foul play wouldn't be likely if they're saying that. The wording does make it suspicious as all hell though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DeathSandwich posted:

This was indeed why she was kinda singled out as a good democrat to support. Although I'm not a huge fan of the continuous triangulation and third-waying that the farce of "bipartisanship" tends to produce in the country at large, Terrell was an awesome compromise candidate and it sucks to lose her vote for a variety of progressive issues :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bahaha thanks for the avatar, I love it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/873200405353811969

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Remember, if it fails, it wasn't real conservative ideology.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It failed because they didn't go far ENOUGH.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SalTheBard posted:

Well, you see, they cut taxes but forgot to cut spending too so SHAAAAAAAARRRRRRRTTTTTT*~

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

No see the problem is that the Kansas government still existed in any form at all. Just burn the whole thing down and a magical utopia will magically take its place because reasons.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I see that the failure of the brownback plan was inconvenient constitutional requirements to actually provide an education to children, or do loving anything.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm interested to see how Kris Kobach runs his campaign. So far it looks like his campaign is "I'm a real Conservative, all of these other Republicans are just RINOs, vote them out so I can lower your taxes again."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

Did anyone mention how Brownback's brother is a complete psycho?

it just goes on like that, vandalizing property and unsafe firearms use, etc. Must be a nice family life.

Holy poo poo. These reads like France c. 1788.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

FilthyImp posted:

Well, you see, they cut taxes but forgot to cut spending too so SHAAAAAAAARRRRRRRTTTTTT*~

It's almost as if...things cost money...so you need to collect money to pay for them...?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I'm interested to see how Kris Kobach runs his campaign. So far it looks like his campaign is "I'm a real Conservative, all of these other Republicans are just RINOs, vote them out so I can lower your taxes again."

Probably by restricting the rights of everyone who lives in a city or has a high school diploma from voting

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

rscott posted:

Probably by restricting the rights of everyone who lives in a city or has a high school diploma from voting

Nobody ever banned illiteracy tests...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

It's almost as if...things cost money...so you need to collect money to pay for them...?

*posts the Laffe curve*

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Well, this happened. Congrats Kansas peeps

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/890352915168321536

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Does this mean Kansas can expand Medicaid now?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ah, so we are definitely about to find out just how oppressed white American Christians are, I'm guessing

• Locked thread