Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kansas State legislator reminds fellow legislator he's carrying a gun before she casts her vote.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-casts-her-vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

That is my understanding yes. It is filled with horrible dumbshit retirees who moved there from colder parts of the country. I've heard Flagstaff is populated mostly by normal people maybe?

Flagstaff is a nice big town but not large enough to really be a city. There are a lot of nice places in Arizona, it's just the middle of the state is this suburban hellzone. Literally: https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=8ed1618a63aa659e&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Flagstaff is a nice big town but not large enough to really be a city. There are a lot of nice places in Arizona, it's just the middle of the state is this suburban hellzone. Literally: https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=8ed1618a63aa659e&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather

This goes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Heh, 109F is a lower temperature than where I live now in AZ.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pillsburysoldier posted:

Kansas State legislator reminds fellow legislator he's carrying a gun before she casts her vote.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-casts-her-vote

:lol: This dumb mother fucker must have a hell of a time hitting anything past 10 feet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Boon posted:

:lol: This dumb mother fucker must have a hell of a time hitting anything past 10 feet.

Favorite Books
The Bible, Frederic Bastiat, Atlas Shrugged, The Reagan Diaries, Trump the Art of the Deal, I, Pencil

Hometown
Wichita, Kansas

you don't say

edit:

"He pursued a Bachelors degree at the University of Kansas where he studied Political Science and Public Administration."

After my initial anger at attending my alma mater I have to say it is pretty vague on how long he was there and if he ever finished.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 6, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

kiimo posted:

Favorite Books
The Bible, Frederic Bastiat, Atlas Shrugged, The Reagan Diaries, Trump the Art of the Deal, I, Pencil

After my initial anger at attending my alma mater I have to say it is pretty vague on how long he was there and if he ever finished.

He looks like a missing link.

~Unfrozen caveman drop-ooout!~

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Da Mott Man posted:

Heh, 109F is a lower temperature than where I live now in AZ.

This is gonna be a 117 F day in 100 years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

julian assflange posted:

They sold the state capitol.....what?
Some other city sold control of their street parking / parking meters. Then they ended up having to pay the new owners lost profits when the streets were shut down for parades and whatnot.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I remember reading about that in Matt Taibbi's Griftopia. I'd say it was the most infuriating chapter of the book but basically every chapter was the most infuriating chapter. Highly recommend.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't Arizona's modern problem similar to Florida's? A lot of old people move there to retire somewhere warm and then elect the dumbest con men to run the place because their decrepit decaying brains are gullible as gently caress

It's not really falling for a con, they know what they want and vote for what they want.

"I already paid taxes for school back home I don't want to pay taxes anymore"

*complains about non white nurses and docs (from out of state/country) changing their diaper and why their family hates visiting them*

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

Favorite Books
The Bible, Atlas Shrugged,

Hmmm it must take a pretty broken brain to think these things aren't mutually exclusive, or to like Rand at all really.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbf smart people read stuff that they think/know is wrong as a "know thy enemy" thing.

Also I bet he only "read"/add Donnie's ghost written book to the list on 2016-11-09 2:XXAM.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

tbf smart people read stuff that they think/know is wrong as a "know thy enemy" thing.

Also I bet he only "read"/add Donnie's ghost written book to the list on 2016-11-09 2:XXAM.

They might read them but they don't list them as their "Favorite Books"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bible is in there because you have to put it there to get elected in the Bible Belt.

Atlas Shrugged is what he actually believes, the book that ends with a tiny supercapitalist elite killing everyone in the world so they don't have to pay any more taxes even though we are constantly shown that those taxes don't in any way interfere with living their lives in absurd luxury.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Some other city sold control of their street parking / parking meters. Then they ended up having to pay the new owners lost profits when the streets were shut down for parades and whatnot.

That would be Chicago, and it has turned out so poorly in so many that ways other cities have scrapped plans for something similar.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chuu posted:

That would be Chicago, and it has turned out so poorly in so many that ways other cities have scrapped plans for something similar.

Chicago sold a 75 year concession for 1.15 billion.

As of year 8 of the deal, the company's total revenue stands right around 900 million.

chicaglol?

Edit: haha, this is great

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Blead...he-city-streets

quote:

Plus, Emanuel's revised deal offered other sweeteners to the meter company. The extended hours would boost its revenues by $4 million to $9 million a year, Waguespack and the progressive caucus estimated, even after accounting for free Sunday parking in some areas.

Emanuel's aides disputed those figures. But they didn't say much at all about another change that will add to CPM's profits. Buried on page 57 of the 320-page agreement is a section that moved parking pay boxes from city to company control—176 of them in all. Each pay box can cover a half a block or more.

So by a conservative estimate, Emanuel privatized perhaps a thousand additional parking spaces, most of them in prime locations downtown. The revenues could add up to tens of millions of dollars for the meter company over the life of the deal.

Rahm Emanuel sold this to the public as making lemon-aide out of lemons.

bedpan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 7, 2017

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/jonshorman/status/872283685843869696

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lol it got so bad the Republicans voted to override the veto? Seriously?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
"Conservatism was failed on this day", Scott Walker probably

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Night10194 posted:

Lol it got so bad the Republicans voted to override the veto? Seriously?

88-31.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/HunterMw/status/872283627551412224

trying to find more

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Here's another: http://cjonline.com/news/state-government/2017-06-06/senate-house-narrowly-override-gov-sam-brownback-s-veto-12-billion

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean, I wish the lowest bracket would have been saved from the increase, but holy hell! The Kansas Legislature finally did something sane.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Doesn't that mean the Kansas government will take in even less revenue now? And what's going to happen to all those companies that moved their operations to Kansas' business-friendly environment? Are they going to have to close shop? How many jobs is this going to cost the people of Kansas?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

Doesn't that mean the Kansas government will take in even less revenue now? And what's going to happen to all those companies that moved their operations to Kansas' business-friendly environment? Are they going to have to close shop? How many jobs is this going to cost the people of Kansas?

All of them.

Kansas will have negative jobs, in fact.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Kansas legislature is about to pull a McConnell and ask Brownback why he didn't stop them from royally loving up their own vote so that they could continue to burn the entire state to the ground. In this manner they can avoid Kilroy's incredibly naive and ignorant question about the possibility of things he doesn't understand.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

"Conservatism was failed on this day", Scott Walker probably

Reminder that guy got married on Reagan's birthday so he can think of an old white man during The Anniversary Sex.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Haha oh my God, the governor's counter-proposal

quote:

Sen. Vicki Schmidt, a Topeka Republican who voted in favor of the override, said the governor set the stage for a substantial tax increase by suggesting to the Legislature in January a budget that resembled a house of cards. He talked about closing a $900 million deficit over two years by selling off future tobacco settlement payments to Kansas in exchange for a one-time infusion of cash and recommended the state delay government contributions to the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System.

“The governor has refused to lead at every turn. The budget that he proposed required securitization of the tobacco funds, not making our KPERS contributions and many other bad ideas,” Schmidt said.

Sell the state's tobacco settlements to J.G. Wentworth and divert the proceeds from healthcare to the rich, steal from public pensions and give the money to the rich.

Brownback managed to come up with a plan so evil it even turned Republicans' stomachs, that's loving impressive.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The big problem was actually that they weren't going to be able to open the school year July 1 if they didn't fund the schools properly, and they couldn't do that without rolling back brownbacks tax plan
If the schools were impacted again after all the poo poo over the last 5 years you honestly would have seen a democrat majority in the legislature here

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

rscott posted:

If the schools were impacted again after all the poo poo over the last 5 years you honestly would have seen a democrat majority in the legislature here

Lol if you think that's what would happen. A not insignificant portion of the voting populace would loudly wonder about greedy teachers or some poo poo. Most people don't get budgeting and taxes, and they also have no respect for teachers.

Remember, even Republicans think Brownback is poo poo, and he is inextricably tied to the mounting woes of Kansas, but he still got reelected.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 7, 2017

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rscott posted:

The big problem was actually that they weren't going to be able to open the school year July 1 if they didn't fund the schools properly, and they couldn't do that without rolling back brownbacks tax plan

Accelerationism can only be failed.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All of them.

Kansas will have negative jobs, in fact.

I'd bet dollars to donuts a ton of those new "businesses" disappear. I've met programmer contractors that after 2012 ran everything through newly formed LLCs just because it meant they didn't have to pay Kansas taxes. Of course Brownback cheered it on as if it was actual job growth instead of just a reordering of existing employment, but anyone who bothered to pay attention already knew what was going on.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is Kansas the state where the coach of the university has his salary go through an LLC so he doesn't have to pay taxes on the taxpayer money

hahahaa yeah
http://kcur.org/post/thanks-tax-cuts-bill-self-highest-paid-state-employee-owes-little-kansas-income-taxes#stream/0

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

VitalSigns posted:

Sell the state's tobacco settlements to J.G. Wentworth and divert the proceeds from healthcare to the rich, steal from public pensions and give the money to the rich.

Brownback managed to come up with a plan so evil it even turned Republicans' stomachs, that's loving impressive.

Let's just eat this seed corn, what could possibly go wrong?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

bedpan posted:

Chicago sold a 75 year concession for 1.15 billion.

As of year 8 of the deal, the company's total revenue stands right around 900 million.

chicaglol?

Edit: haha, this is great

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Blead...he-city-streets

Rahm Emanuel sold this to the public as making lemon-aide out of lemons.

What breaks my brain is that a city official can sign a contract for significantly longer than their own terms.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

Is Kansas the state where the coach of the university has his salary go through an LLC so he doesn't have to pay taxes on the taxpayer money

hahahaa yeah
http://kcur.org/post/thanks-tax-cuts-bill-self-highest-paid-state-employee-owes-little-kansas-income-taxes#stream/0

Well federal taxes anyway. Let's not pivot this conversation towards lumping Bill Self in with these dudes please my fandom can't handle that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

The thing he got wrong was being too nakedly corrupt. You're supposed to do it behind the scenes doing things like over paying companies owned by your friends to pave roads badly or build lovely bridges.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kiimo posted:

Well federal taxes anyway. Let's not pivot this conversation towards lumping Bill Self in with these dudes please my fandom can't handle that.

haha get wrecked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Sam Seder had a good point on Majority Report today, which is that it's disappointing that the Democrats haven't used the Kansas shitshow more frequently on a national level. This is what Republicans are all about, after all. This is the bottom line of their ideology, in its purest form. This is what Donald Trump and Paul Ryan want to happen to the whole country. So craft your message around that and run on it.

• Locked thread