Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

kiimo posted:

Well federal taxes anyway. Let's not pivot this conversation towards lumping Bill Self in with these dudes please my fandom can't handle that.

gently caress that guy. Seriously, he tells people how to play a game for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uh yeah he earns every penny he makes let's not be that sports-hating dude who thinks athletics overpays it's a stupid and losing argument.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Uh yeah he earns every penny he makes let's not be that sports-hating dude who thinks athletics overpays it's a stupid and losing argument.

Big college coaches are absolutely overpaid. They're frequently the single highest paid public officeholder in the entire state.

There's no way some coach is really worth $5 million a year to a university that refuses to pay a livable wage for a huge chunk of the people teaching classes and doing research.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks to crazy bidding on tv rights power 5 conference teams bring in an enormous amount of cash.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

Thanks to crazy bidding on tv rights power 5 conference teams bring in an enormous amount of cash.

You don't need to pay the coach $5 million to get that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fishmech posted:

You don't need to pay the coach $5 million to get that.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/hfjj45ehmk/2-kansas-jayhawks/#13a39cda5826

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure he does 50 times more work than a professor and he he's bringing all those jobs to kansahabha

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Congrats on something that doesn't show any proof he deserves $5 million a year?

Having coaches for university systems be paid multiple millions a year is loving dumb and defending it is even dumber. Even like $1.5 million a year would be fairly stretching the limit of acceptable considering what everyone else who works for the university gets paid for doing the actual job of a drat university.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sigh. I'm not going to derail this thread any further, sports are a huge loving money-generating machine that millions of people enjoy and identify with but in a dream world spending that kind of money on research would better humanity but you aren't changing the culture and this isn't worth an argument.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Sigh. I'm not going to derail this thread any further, sports are a huge loving money-generating machine that millions of people enjoy and identify with but in a dream world spending that kind of money on research would better humanity but you aren't changing the culture and this isn't worth an argument.

Millions of dollars that are then immediately blown on paying giant salaries to coaches and pointless renovations to the sports facilities while the athletes actually doing the work of being a good team get no money or a tiny stipend. Once again: that coach does not deserve $5 million a year. Especially in a state that's literally killing all its social services.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

College sports is overall a scam. Colleges generally lose money on their athletics programs or get convinced to build ridiculous sports buildings they just plain don't need. It's a racket top to bottom but you'll never, ever get rid of it because :siren: ENROLLMENT :siren:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

College sports is overall a scam. Colleges generally lose money on their athletics programs or get convinced to build ridiculous sports buildings they just plain don't need. It's a racket top to bottom but you'll never, ever get rid of it because :siren: ENROLLMENT :siren:

I completely agree. One can go on and on about collegiate sports and the "good" they do, but in reality its straight up bullshit. Higher education has been corporitized, and the sports bullshit is, in my opinion, the head of that spear. Not to mention how exploitative it is of youth, particularly young black men, and how it loving wrecks young people's bodies and brains.

But I guess all those sacrifices are with it if some drunk gently caress can scream "ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK" at people in a bar.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd like to remind people that we're discussing a multi-billion dollar industry where adults make millions off the backs of unpaid children. There really isn't any sort of defense for this.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'd like to remind people that we're discussing a multi-billion dollar industry where adults make millions off the backs of unpaid children. There really isn't any sort of defense for this.

But but but muh teevee!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Majorian posted:

Sam Seder had a good point on Majority Report today, which is that it's disappointing that the Democrats haven't used the Kansas shitshow more frequently on a national level. This is what Republicans are all about, after all. This is the bottom line of their ideology, in its purest form. This is what Donald Trump and Paul Ryan want to happen to the whole country. So craft your message around that and run on it.

Yeah. Or compare Minnesota and Wisconsin over Walker's term.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah but I need to believe that those children volunteer do it for the sheer love of competition and school pride, my immersion will be ruined if they do it for the money like every other job.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

18-22 year olds aren't children dude

they know exactly why they do it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

But but but but athletic scholarships!!!!!!! Think of the poor black kids who have to acquire literal long-term brain damage playing football to get an education!!!!

I think that there is what bothers me most. Like if people see the risks and want to play football anyway then fine. They can play football. But for those that have literally no choice but to play sport and get exploited to go to college that's extremely hosed up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hahaha this thread man. Yeah college basketball is slave labor for the enjoyment of meatheads and generates zero positives but exploits the poor. These poor kids destroy their bodies for the sake of my immersion because they are tricked into playing a sport for my blood lust and when they end up millionaires there will be nobody to blame but college fans. If you want to argue athletes should be paid that's worth it but spare me this think of the children horseshit. There's no defense of sports shut it down.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

Hahaha this thread man. Yeah college basketball is slave labor for the enjoyment of meatheads and generates zero positives but exploits the poor. These poor kids destroy their bodies for the sake of my immersion because they are tricked into playing a sport for my blood lust and when they end up millionaires there will be nobody to blame but college fans. If you want to argue athletes should be paid that's worth it but spare me this think of the children horseshit. There's no defense of sports shut it down.

Very few people go from college sports to pro sports. I don't really give a crap if professional athletes who know what they're getting into and decide they're fine with it do it. Top level pro athletes at least get a cut of the entertainment money.

College athletes don't. They get tuition maybe.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fine then suggest paying college athletes, I would agree. But you've taken the entire concept of sports into an absurd argument.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Sorry you're so mad that you apparently don't have a real professional sports team nearby to root for?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha what? I"m mad you're making dumb points.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

kiimo posted:

There's no defense of sports shut it down.

If you're referring to college sports, yes, loving shut it down.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

Fine then suggest paying college athletes, I would agree. But you've taken the entire concept of sports into an absurd argument.

I'm not saying "shut down college sports entirely" partly because sports are fun. People enjoy playing sports and I see no problem with colleges having teams and having them compete. Like, whatever. If people want to toss balls around after class I see no problem with it.

It's the deliberate, knowing exploitation of the corrupt as hell college athletics system as it stands right now that needs to go the gently caress away.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Malcolm XML posted:

18-22 year olds aren't children dude

they know exactly why they do it

I was still pretty stupid back then

still am

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay so the real problem is how the NCAA is set up then that's something I can agree with but acting like college fans and college sports departments are a bunch of meatheads who desire to destroy the bodies of inner city kids for their own amusement and spit them out without a degree or ability to use the sport as a career is a narrow and dumb take that attacks fandom as the problem.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
ban sports imo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Okay so the real problem is how the NCAA is set up then that's something I can agree with but acting like college fans and college sports departments are a bunch of meatheads who desire to destroy the bodies of inner city kids for their own amusement and spit them out without a degree or ability to use the sport as a career is a narrow and dumb take that attacks fandom as the problem.

No, college fans are mostly suckers living in places without real professional sports teams to root for.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well OK that's just simply not true I live in Los Angeles people are obsessed with college sports here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Well OK that's just simply not true I live in Los Angeles people are obsessed with college sports here.

Most college sports fans don't live in LA my dude. They live in places starved of good professional teams, or sometimes any professional teams in several major sports at all, like Kansas for instance.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kiimo posted:

Obviously they don't desire it, they're just fine with it or they wouldn't fight so hard against any changes to the NCAA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe if you keep saying it it will be true but maybe if you assume Kansas fans have nothing to root for but the Jayhawks you can wish away the fact that the Royals and the Chiefs are huge there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Maybe if you keep saying it it will be true but maybe if you assume Kansas fans have nothing to root for but the Jayhawks you can wish away the fact that the Royals and the Chiefs are huge there.

The $5 million a year coach does basketball. Kansas ain't got a pro basketball team and neither does KC Missouri or any other city in Missouri. Sorry you're too ignorant to know this I guess?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OK I guess I'm ignorant now despite growing up rooting for the Kansas City Kings before moving to Sacramento. I guess I'm ignorant of the state that I was born and grew up in and ignorant of sports because college fans are doomed to only root for college teams and pro fans never root for college teams in some kind of twisted narrow dimension. You win I'm going to stop the derailing the thread while driving.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT SPORTS

:siren:GO AWAY FISHMECH:siren: *shakes a fetish at u*

A Kansas Legislator was found dead in her hotel room tonight.

Hits particularly close to home as my wife was one of the people who was a primary backer of the campaign to unseat Rep. Terrell's predecessor, the inimitably awful (except perhaps Ol Brownie himself) Jan Pauls.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

OK I guess I'm ignorant now despite growing up rooting for the Kansas City Kings before moving to Sacramento. I guess I'm ignorant of the state that I was born and grew up in and ignorant of sports because college fans are doomed to only root for college teams and pro fans never root for college teams in some kind of twisted narrow dimension. You win I'm going to stop the derailing the thread while driving.

Yea you are massively ignorant, as evidenced by all your posting in favor of hosed up salaries and a generally hosed up college sports environment.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Keep moving the goalposts fishmech.

Sports metaphor trigger alert.

Maybe if you show up on campus in Austin on a Saturday morning when 80,000 people are preparing to watch a Longhorn football game you can remind them that the Dallas Cowboys exist in their state and maybe they'll all go home and that can help support your crackpot theory.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Keep moving the goalposts fishmech.

Sports metaphor trigger alert.

Maybe if you show up on campus in Austin on a Saturday morning when 80,000 people are preparing to watch a Longhorn football game you can remind them that the Dallas Cowboys exist in their state and maybe they'll all go home and that can help support your crackpot theory.

Texas is full of idiots? I don't see how that's relevant to your repeated defense of outrageous coach salaries and the college sports scam in general.

There are much more than 80,000 people attending college sports in all the trash states, and they're a much more relevant part of the local population m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Did anyone mention how Brownback's brother is a complete psycho?

cjonline posted:

In June 2011, a keg of nails was poured onto the Peines’ driveway. Jim Brownback used a vehicle to block a rural intersection and obstruct the Peines’ path in June 2012. A gutted fawn, shot through the neck in September 2012 outside the hunting season in Kansas, was dumped at the end of their drive. In May 2013, Jim Brownback stopped at the Peine place to yell “bitch” at anyone within earshot. The Peines’ mailbox disappeared. Their black Labrador retriever was found slain in a ditch 15 miles from their home.

quote:

Investigators discovered Jim Brownback was packing Tannerite, an explosive marketed for use as an detonating target for shooting practice, into large canning jars and blasting the mixture with rounds from a high-velocity firearm. Authorities suggested he knock it off, the county sheriff said, but Brownback felt he had the right to do as he wished on his property.

“It’s legal,” Jim Brownback said in an interview. “It’s legal.”

In response to Joann Peine’s request, a Linn County judge granted one-year restraining orders against Jim Brownback and Kara Jo Earnest.

“Gunfire toward and near our home has my children constantly in a hyper-vigilant state,” Peine said in her protective order application. “I’m afraid they will kill me, my children or my animals — either intentionally or by accident.”

it just goes on like that, vandalizing property and unsafe firearms use, etc. Must be a nice family life.

• Locked thread