Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I visit Lawrence KS frequently and this is exactly who I expected would represent the area.

his name is Boog Highberger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nice of Brownback to shutter the recent attempt at Medicaid expansion, one of the things directly responsible for one (of two) major hospitals possibly shutting down around here.

http://cjonline.com/news/local/business/2017-04-18/topekans-know-st-francis-fate-early-may-scl-health-cease-operating

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

in hyperlocal feel-good news, Lawrence Mayor Leslie Soden declares May 4th, "Star Wars Day"
Mayor Soden has also managed to earn the loyalty of a wookiie and a darkside as well as a baby robot; Commissioner Boley is having a wonderful time.

Former Mayor, Commissioner, and Barber Shop Owner Mike Amyx is either not having a wonderful time, or is distracted by wanting to do a touch up on that long-neglected coat

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
What I'd like to know is how Gov. Brownback's economic policies affect the Gravy Futures Market?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Welcome back from the dead, thread, but scuttlebutt is that Sam Brownback might be resigning tomorrow. I'm sorry to not be able to source this rumor properly, it's (extremely reliable) lobbyist contacts at the statehouse claiming there's a Trump admin job being created for his dumb rear end. This has happened before with the ambassador rumor so definite pinch of salt.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Welcome back from the dead, thread, but scuttlebutt is that Sam Brownback might be resigning tomorrow. I'm sorry to not be able to source this rumor properly, it's (extremely reliable) lobbyist contacts at the statehouse claiming there's a Trump admin job being created for his dumb rear end. This has happened before with the ambassador rumor so definite pinch of salt.

Don't you dare get my hopes up you son of a bitch

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I mean, Brownback has created the perfect low tax model for the National level to emulate. Look how well it's working in the reddest areas of Kansas!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

No Butt Stuff posted:

I mean, Brownback has created the perfect low tax model for the National level to emulate. Look how well it's working in the reddest areas of Kansas!

Seems Oklahoma was feeling left out: With state budget in crisis, many Oklahoma schools hold classes four days a week

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

At least the Kansas legislature is willing and able to pass tax increases (which Brownback vetoed) so it could theoretically be turned around after he leaves.

Our dumbass constitution requires a 3/4ths super-duper majority to raise taxes, so as long as oil companies can buy 26% of either house in the Oklahoma legislature, then once you cut their taxes you can never, ever, ever get that back :shepicide:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

At least the Kansas legislature is willing and able to pass tax increases (which Brownback vetoed) so it could theoretically be turned around after he leaves.

Our dumbass constitution requires a 3/4ths super-duper majority to raise taxes, so as long as oil companies can buy 26% of either house in the Oklahoma legislature, then once you cut their taxes you can never, ever, ever get that back :shepicide:

In all seriousness, how long till Oklahoma goes bankrupt?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Crowsbeak posted:

Going by this..

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...ea3a50143e.html

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY — Officials acknowledged Monday that the state’s entire $240 million constitutional reserve, known as the Rainy Day Fund, has been “borrowed” to meet operating expenses.

“This is nothing new,” Senate Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Kim David, R-Wagoner, said. “I have the utmost confidence the funds will move back into the Rainy Day Fund by the end of the year.”

The account’s depleted state came to light during discussion of a $34 million supplemental appropriation to the Department of Human Services for services to seniors and people with behavioral disabilities. Some $4.2 million of that is to come from the Rainy Day Fund.

The figure of $380 million was given in the Senate Appropriations Committee meeting where the situation came to light, but budget documents and the Office of Management and Enterprise Services, which pays the state’s bills and manages its budget, indicate that $240 million was in the fund before it was tapped.

David said the Rainy Day Fund is depleted because the Office of Management and Enterprise Services used it to manage cash flow. She said the money is expected to be returned once tax payments pick up after April’s tax-filing deadline.

The state formerly maintained a special fund for cash-flow management, but it was emptied to help make up last year’s $1.3 billion general revenue drop.

Next year?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

We emptied our $250 million rainy day fund to balance the budget this year and protect the oil and gas companies' precious precious tax cuts. And raised taxes on the poor and middle class.

So crisis averted, until next year when we have the same problem but no money in the bank :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what actually happens when states start to go into bankruptcy?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

What would Trump do?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

The people responsible are overwhelmingly re-elected

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I did see one (1) tweet that mentioned Brownback leaving from a day ago, and it was posted by someone whose picture was a boring white guy in a suit, who might be reliable about Kansas Government News.

on the other hand, one tweet, and that's definitely wishful thinking.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Koirhor posted:

What would Trump do?

Firesale them off to whatever shady characters he can find to buy them, shrug any obligations off on now-defunct corporate entities, and abscond with the loot while refusing to pay his employees/contractors.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Firesale them off to whatever shady characters he can find to buy them, shrug any obligations off on now-defunct corporate entities, and abscond with the loot while refusing to pay his employees/contractors.

So then Oklahoma turns into Detroit?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crowsbeak posted:

So then Oklahoma turns into Detroit?

We're actually doing kinda okay now.

We managed to stop them looting our art at least.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

We're actually doing kinda okay now.

We managed to stop them looting our art at least.

I should have said 1970s Detroit.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

We emptied our $250 million rainy day fund to balance the budget this year and protect the oil and gas companies' precious precious tax cuts. And raised taxes on the poor and middle class.

So crisis averted, until next year when we have the same problem but no money in the bank :downs:

Oklahoma oil barons just raided your states tax fund. How charming.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

This is a problem I feel a lot of states are having, no one wants to talk about revenues and so cut cut cut until there is nothing left and then what?

edit: at some point we need to discuss revenue is what I am saying.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 4, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
But taxation is theft!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Tax and spend democrat!

I hate that phrase, like duh, where do you think that money to spend on roads or pigs comes from?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

got any sevens posted:

Tax and spend democrat!

I hate that phrase, like duh, where do you think that money to spend on roads or pigs comes from?

It's not literal, it's meant to imply that there is no limit to taxing and spending in the manner of a slippery slope.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Boon posted:

It's not literal, it's meant to imply that there is no limit to taxing and spending in the manner of a slippery slope.

True. And I mean, sure you shouldn't rely on ulimited budgets but we've gone way to far the other way and I think liberals need to find a way to talk about revenue and taxation in a way to people that will get them to understand why revenue is important.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mooseontheloose posted:

True. And I mean, sure you shouldn't rely on ulimited budgets but we've gone way to far the other way and I think liberals need to find a way to talk about revenue and taxation in a way to people that will get them to understand why revenue is important.

Triple bottom line :haw:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Night10194 posted:

If Arizona and Illinois are any example, sell off public property in hilariously bad deals like selling your capitol building just to rent it back.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Arglebargle III posted:

If Arizona and Illinois are any example, sell off public property in hilariously bad deals like selling your capitol building just to rent it back.

Ahahahahaha holy poo poo. Arizona is truly the dumbest state in the union by a loving mile. What kind of drooling idiot would possibly approve of that plan?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

Ahahahahaha holy poo poo. Arizona is truly the dumbest state in the union by a loving mile. What kind of drooling idiot would possibly approve of that plan?

It gets better. After three years of getting skinned on rent, Arizona bought their own capitol back for 25% more than they sold it for

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

It gets better. After three years of getting skinned on rent, Arizona bought their own capitol back for 25% more than they sold it for

Am I the only one that immediately thought "this screams of deliberate corruption?" That isn't just incompetence that's "make profit for mah buddie."

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They sold the state capitol.....what?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

julian assflange posted:

They sold the state capitol.....what?

Yeah, Arizona sold its own capitol building to a private concern and paid rent on it for a few years.

my kinda ape posted:

No kidding:

Mother Jones posted:

In 1897, when the Territory of Arizona was seeking to demonstrate its fitness for statehood, the legislature solicited bids to design a new capitol building and grounds in Phoenix. The winning entry was that of James Riely Gordon, the architect behind a number of well-regarded public buildings in Texas and Maryland. He drew up ambitious plans: an expansive dome, a grand rotunda, stately wings for each house. But funding fell short, and so the legislative wings were scrapped, and a diminutive lead-alloy top was chosen in lieu of Gordon’s more elaborate dome. Worse, in the building’s interior, a mosaic of the state seal was bungled by the contractor, who forgot to include the images of cattle and citrus, two of Arizona’s “five C’s” (the others being climate, copper, and cotton).

Despite much talk over the years of an upgrade—including a proposal from none other than Frank Lloyd Wright, who envisioned the addition of fountains, gardens, and reflecting pools—all plans were rejected as too expensive. In the 1960s, two new buildings were finally erected on either side of the capitol, one for the house and one for the senate; but these structures, which resemble Soviet apartment blocks, only made matters worse.

My favorite quote about Arizona was from a US cavalry officer stationed to one of the early forts there after the Mexican-American War. It went something like: "We have fought one war to take it from them, and we ought to fight another to make them take it back."

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 5, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They got the money to buy it back by cutting education and healthcare, so it wasn't so much stupid as it was probably just evil.

Well I guess it was stupidity on the part of Arizonans for voting in the politicians who took their healthcare away in order to buy back the capitol for more than it sold for lol. And for never learning and continuing to vote Republican.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 5, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Isn't Arizona's modern problem similar to Florida's? A lot of old people move there to retire somewhere warm and then elect the dumbest con men to run the place because their decrepit decaying brains are gullible as gently caress

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't Arizona's modern problem similar to Florida's? A lot of old people move there to retire somewhere warm and then elect the dumbest con men to run the place because their decrepit decaying brains are gullible as gently caress

That is my understanding yes. It is filled with horrible dumbshit retirees who moved there from colder parts of the country. I've heard Flagstaff is populated mostly by normal people maybe?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But what's Kansas' excuse

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

VitalSigns posted:

It exists in a hellzone too far from the moderating effects of north Midwestern progressives or southern Hispanics.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
We have 2.5 cities and a blank, endless wasteland and our populace have decided to try to reinvent suicide as a local and national sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Graying state as well as being largely abandoned by the dems.

• Locked thread