Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beo
Oct 9, 2007

The KPERS crap really bothers me I've paid into it for almost 10 years now a good pension is like the only benefit these low paying jobs have :(.

On top of that BS they want to combine school districts into county districts and then the state will absorb any extra equipment into their budget.
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/jan/27/battle-lines-being-drawn-over-school-district-real/
I don't think it will pass but this is just a little bit of the real shady poo poo that goes down in kansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

It's a common conservative thought that the reason schools are so expensive is because of administration a quick glance through my conservative friends gets statements like "look at all the secretaries in the principal/superintendents office." On top of that mindset you have the fact that extra buildings, equipment and vehicles would then be sold and instead of going back to the school district this money goes directly to the state, this isn't the first time brownback and his legislators have sneakily tried to take money away from local entities.
In May of last year they tried to take motor vehicle taxes away from local government and put that money directly into the state's coffers. This would have had a huge negative impact on local communities, community colleges, libraries and more but it would have filled up the state's coffers and plugged the huge hole that the brownback tax plan has put in our state's budget.
The bottom line is that until the brownback tax plan is rolled back they will continue to try and fix the state's budget problem and if it hurts the small communities and poor people throughout kansas too bad. Trickle down economics from the koch brothers will hit us someday right!

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

There are actually older essays about how moderate kansas was compared to the surrounding areas. In fact before brownback we had a democratic governer.

Brownback is basically the worst sort of scumbag when he was elected and began to enact his policies moderate republicans and even some conservative republicans spoke out against him. Then when it came time for primary season guess what? hundreds of thousands of dolllars was used to primary out anyone who disagreed with brownback including staunch conservative republicans. Anyone who remained were booted off any powerful committees and left powerless. There are still moderate republicans here and the progressives(like me) understand that we have to work with them; unfortunately, the big money is behind brownback and we are stuck with him.

edit: I realize I just basically go off on how much I hate brownback in every post but... he's just so awful.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

When I went to caucus for the democratic election someone from the kansas democratic party was there and said they identified dstrcts where davis won vs brownback and they hope to take some of those districts so they can fight brownback. Pretty wishful thinking on their part but at least they have a plan.
I was actually surprised how many democrats live in my small rear end town kind of felt good.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Well my faith is a little restored in kansas it looks like the primaries ousted a bunch of real dirt bags. I'd rather see democrats but we all know that isn't going to happen so I'll take these moderates.
"

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

watch us elect kobach tho.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

the senate only needs 27 votes to override they had 25 so it's a possibility.

edit-also even though something like this is a long shot it's way better than our previous legislators who just let brownback do whatever he wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

hah I just googled perez and 50 state strategy and the first article in an interview where he's like look at kansas trump won by only 14 points and we picked up seats.I understand the DNC doesn't want to waste money on something they can't lose but drat we should try some poo poo out it's a whole new ball game now.

The KDP did alright with this tho. I was getting a lot of emails and facebook activity about the special election.

• Locked thread