Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There never has been any :bahgawd: Eliminate income tax in Kansas! :bahgawd: supporters in this thread, has there? Easier to turn a blind eye to the flaming ball of poop if you're a tea party Kansas voter?

Florida has no income tax -- but has massive sales tax to compensate. They also have tourism that suits taxing the heck out of visitors, anyway. Idk how well pure sales tax for revenue would work in a primary-production agribiz state. Based on what I'm reading, Kansas hasn't really kicked up sales tax enough to compensate for this poo poo, and etailers without offices in Kansas can provide the middle and upper classes their expensive goods without Kansas sales tax anyway.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Haha holy poo poo, Kansas really can't go income-tax-free. I have a brother in Lawrence, so I didn't really realize the population was so drat close to the state's borders. What the gently caress are they trying to do.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can see the bill already: "Be it so enacted by the Kansas State Legislature.......don't spend your money 10 miles across the border in Missouri. Also, please don't move away."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vanderdeath posted:

Basically, bomb everything that isn't Northeastern Kansas or Wichita in that state.

From the sounds of it, it wouldn't be worth the expenditure of refined fissile material.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Poil posted:

When praising Hitler seems like a good idea you may want to take a step back and rethink your life. :suicide:

Will they be using his brilliance on integration, foreign relations and humanitarian efforts as well?

No, no it was all taken out of context, I swear :suicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fknlo posted:

For those that doubt that the invisible hand of the free market works, the water slide that was only opened in Kansas because of the lax regulations is not going to reopen after decapitating a Republican lawmakers kid.

Checkmate liberals :smug:

:staredog:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-kansas-waterslide-demolished-20161123-story.html

Kansas mandates annual inspections of permanent amusement park rides but allows private inspectors to do the checks, rather than requiring a state inspection. A document released by the state Department of Labor after Caleb's death showed that all of Schlitterbahn's rides passed private inspections in June.

"In our 50 years of providing an environment for families and friends to gather," the statement read, "we've never experienced this kind of devastating event."

Maybe not directly you, guy, it just wasn't perhaps in this park and it wasn't a lawmaker's kid.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

After the wall is built and the last immigrant is deported, what will the next fake problem child be?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The people who didn't elect Brownback are leaving Kansas. Same with Wisconsin, really; Democrat voters have been moving to Minnesota. Blue people won't be staying in red states.

That's a problem.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mooseontheloose posted:

I just wonder what it will take for people in these states to vote out these people.

Accepting data-driven policymaking on things as simple to assess and understand as the need for seatbelts and traffic laws is too high a hurdle for most of my republican as gently caress but too proud to admit it libertarian acquaintances to clear. There's nothing that will get the deep red to change.

My brother lives in KS and is basically preparing to leave. One of his greatest frustrations is a surge in young people calling themselves libertarian to distance themselves from the past, continuing and compounding failures of the GOP from the Bush admin on down to local KS governments. Politically, apparently, 90% of 'em can't actually vocalize significant differences between their political ideas and the GOP platform at any level, but it does allow them to handwave away lessons from the past and present that that should be learning with a, "that's not us."

tl;dr even the next generation of conservatives is hosed.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 6, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, I'm hoping that progressive Dem leaders seize this opportunity to say, "See? If you had supported the loving progressive, we would have won. Support us if you want to stop losing!"

which progressive dnc leaders :smithicide:

If Keith as the co/under/assistant/vice chair didn't get funding for a Kansas progressive, who can?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nonsense posted:

I don't see Dems letting Georgia fall to Republicans. I hear the candidate is the future.

Idk if it is a matter of "letting" it fall.

Tangent,: have you seen some of the fliers GA GOP has sent out?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nachos posted:

The ones tying Ossoff to ISIS or Al Qaeda or some poo poo?

I'm surprised I'm not yet a felon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peanut Butler posted:

tfw other Kansans tell me to call my state rep about some horrible GOP thing they oughtn't support but I live in Lawrence

I visit Lawrence KS frequently and this is exactly who I expected would represent the area.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Eh, the athletic association could still use 4mil of that salary to outright poach and buy out two really good researchers and their labs per year and begin fleshing out their research portfolio while still making the coach a millionaire.

I think some of this comes down to seeing opportunities to invest in the kind of poo poo that gives a university truly meaningful opportunities to STEM students (grad and undergrad names on published research) while building up a war chest of faculty whose incomes can be directly billed to sponsors interested in the public benefit or industrial applications of their research.

Sports spending is fine; I think though that some of us will always fantasize about what else that money could do.

• Locked thread