Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SquadronROE posted:

Wow, Kansas is doing worse than I expected. I'm sad that a lot of people are going to suffer for badly balanced fiscal policies, but I really hope that enough people see this as a failure of pure Conservative/Libertarian ideology.

Unfortuantely, that may not happen. It's looking like they're just going to deflect the blame for failure to all the variables they can't control for.

I moved out of Kansas in September of 2012 while unemployed, at the time they started attempting to collect about $200 in state taxes from me. Of course being unemployed they weren't getting poo poo out of me.

Every fall since then I get some kind of notice about me paying that $200 and that they're going to add interest (they never do). Every time I get that notice I'm tempted to poo poo in a box and send it to Brownback.

This year I got a robocall informing me that September 1 thru October 15 they'll have amnesty on penalties and interest for unpaid taxes :laugh:

As far as I'm concerned that shithole of a state isn't getting another cent out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Missing Donut posted:

Your federal tax refund will be intercepted to pay off your back Kansas debt.

They've threatened to since I left, but never actually done it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Radish posted:

Just make it illegal to leave the state.

I'd be all down for erecting a wall between Kansas and everywhere else.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know about Kansas, but Wisconsin might do it!

But will he make Canada pay for it? :allears:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inferior Third Season posted:

I moved from Wichita to Denmark. :toot:

The flaming shitshow that is the Brownback economy was not an insignificant factor in my decision. I suggest all fellow Kansas goons do the same.

I skipped out for Cincinnati right before Brownback poo poo everything up. I was seeing the writing on the wall right before my second layoff in three years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anubis posted:

Well technically a few school districts already did. They closed their doors a week or two early during the school year because they ran out of money. But the court case that's going to shut down everything will hit at end of June. A special session is required to fix the unconstitutional funding issues, a special session was called but last I knew the only thing on the docket so far was an attempt to take away the court's ability to effectively compel schools to shut down. It's... getting weird, even for us.

The more I read about Kansas these days, it sounds like I just barely escaped in time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DeathSandwich posted:

I feel like the ultimate endpoint of this is more Mad Max than Corporate Feudalism.

Pretty good, but if you've ever driven across Kansas outside of the pipeline between KC and OKC, it's more like the Road Warrior.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JerryLee posted:

It's funny because the walkability basically depends on which side of Mission Road you're on, and correlates pretty strongly with how henry_guillotine.gif the area is. On the western side, which is the relatively lower class area (still all comfortable white middle class, don't get me wrong) you have sidewalks on most of the residential streets. There's also sidewalks up and down Mission Road itself.

Go east from Prairie Village and you get right up into the hills where you have much fancier homes, and few if any sidewalks.

Kinda like Wichita's walkability.

Are you in "Bill Warren's Old Town?" Then yes, it's walkable, otherwise :lol:

I do wonder if they ever managed to make their Water Walk, like they've been trying to do for at least 10 years, despite the fact that there's nothing else around that would support that kind of tourist area.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wanderer posted:

I seem to remember being told at one point when I lived in Missouri that Kansas City used to be a pretty major transit hub back when most of the shipping was being done by train, so that might have something to do with it.

I can't speak for KC, but Wichita was a major cattle stop. Then they doubled down on being "The Air Capitol," I read an article once that contained a massive list of all the aircraft companies that went out of business right before WWII broke out. Of course they still want to be the Air Capitol, but anyone who's been there lately can see how putting all their eggs in one basket is a bad idea. It's getting to Midwest Detroit, I can't imagine how bad it is these days with Brownback's garbage.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yawgmoft posted:

Is that supposed to act like some kind of Talisman?

Stay safe Nazi Ghost

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of the most cognitively bizarre moments of my life was seeing an actual Nazi Naval flag in person.

One of my coworkers circa 2011, was going through his grandfathers old things and came across his war trophies, which contained said flag, and two armbands (one was pristine, the other was stained with something, possibly blood). Just seeing a full-sized Nazi flag in person was extremely fascinating, yet extremely repulsive at the same time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rscott posted:

Wichita already has the worst public transportation system (and by extension lowest ridership rates) of any top 50 metro area

God yes, I tried to read the bus schedules once and couldn't make heads or tails of them. For a long time none of the routes were marked street side, when I moved there were a handful of covered benches (the route and/or schedule was absent). Routes started at 6:30am and stopped by 7:00pm.

Then there was the bus route that went to the airport, it was one of two routes that didn't go to the central bus station, so if you wanted to get to/from the airport, well you had to catch a connecting bus.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiler Kiwi posted:

but then they can eat lobster

:lol: the funny thing is, the conservatives I work with complain about seeing "people on food stamps" buying chips and steaks. It's blatant stdh.txt, and part of the gently caress you got mine attitude that conservatives use to justify why they don't like black people.

When I lived in Kansas, I knew and worked with several people who were on SNAP, and having seen the cards up close, you'd literally have to know what one looks like, and be spending your time staring at them paying, instead of, you know unloading your own drat shopping cart.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Standard Republican at this point. PA's last governor did basically the same thing; said "nah, gently caress that" to the expansion of Medicaid. Literally free money for the good of the state but nope! Gots to keep that elephant cred going on!

Then he got voted out. One of very few (first in like 200 years) governors to lose reelection. Now we have a Democrat that was like "gently caress yeah gimme that sweet, sweet medicine!" Of course the Republicans in our state government are actively sabotaging everything they possibly can while blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

I really don't understand that mentality though.

:cool: Here I'm going to give you free money to ensure that your citizens are healthy!
:newt: No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's too bad you can't just kill Jesus with guns, because that would solve the problem maybe.

• Locked thread