Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My wife is a Johnson County native and I am transplant (originally from Boston) and it is basically impossible to convince her that Kansas is going down the drain since everything still seems pretty reasonable in our little bubble. We are basically the stereotype of a lovely JoCo family (our kids are likely destined for private school and the wife has a high paying job), so she is content to stay put and play the part of Nero while the state burns around us :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

:madmax:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

SalTheBard posted:

That what I was saying earlier, until these budget failures start effecting JoCo nothing will really change. I just drove past Jerry Morans district office and it took every ounce of strength that I had not to stop there and poo poo in the front lawn. I love living in Kansas, I just hate everything about living here.

This is absolutely true. It is so frustrating that there can be a huge grass roots movement to stop a goddamn Starbucks in Prairie Village from getting a drive through window, but anything having to do with the budget crisis is just hand waved away.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Really anything that tries to get built or change in that section of JoCo always ends up being a hassle. That Starbucks is right outside of Mission Hills (a "city" where the average house hold income is 200,000) and if any sort of traffic or outside vehicles start coming through the area it raises all sorts of red flags. I live at the base of Mission Hills and I see cop cars straight up pull over vehicles with Missouri license plates and harass them until they leave -- I've also seen them straight up round up the homeless near that Starbucks and drive them across state lines.

I also had a brother in law who was flat out drunk but the police let him go home instead of getting a DUI since he had the right address on his drivers license. Strange and scary stuff.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

It's funny because the walkability basically depends on which side of Mission Road you're on, and correlates pretty strongly with how henry_guillotine.gif the area is. On the western side, which is the relatively lower class area (still all comfortable white middle class, don't get me wrong) you have sidewalks on most of the residential streets. There's also sidewalks up and down Mission Road itself.

Go east from Prairie Village and you get right up into the hills where you have much fancier homes, and few if any sidewalks.

Yeah, for those not in the know that area east of Prairie Village is called Mission Hills, which, according to Wikipedia, is the 3rd wealthiest municipality in the country. How that ended up being in Kansas of all places is anyone's guess, but there it is!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

One of the most cognitively bizarre moments of my life was seeing an actual Nazi Naval flag in person.

One of my coworkers circa 2011, was going through his grandfathers old things and came across his war trophies, which contained said flag, and two armbands (one was pristine, the other was stained with something, possibly blood). Just seeing a full-sized Nazi flag in person was extremely fascinating, yet extremely repulsive at the same time.

I worked over in the Yale rare book library before moving to Kansas and I once spent 4 months of my life cataloging and archiving books from the Nazi Germany Department of Agriculture. I probably handled over a thousand of those books but looking at non ironic swastikas and other things never stopped feeling fascinating/repulsive to me either. To sound like a new age burnout: they had a strange energy about them.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

effectual posted:

That's pretty bold of them to call themselves Manhattan when they're just a rural shithole with a few strip malls.

Best part is that if you live in Kansas and talk about how you're going to Manhattan everyone assumes you're talking about the rural shithole and not the island.

Worst part about it is that after living here for about 5 years I'm starting to think like that too :(

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't know, Eisenhower really liked his autobahn idea -- maybe she was just swinging for the fences like Ike did!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does anyone living in Johnson County go to the bi-weekly democrat party get togethers that are held at the Lucky Brewgrille over on Johnson Drive? I wanted to help out with some local elections this cycle but wasn't able to, and I heard about these meetings through the DNC County Chairman.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

SalTheBard posted:

My Co-Worker and I are both looking at getting involved in the Democratic Party in Johnson County. Her and I are both very passionate about politics and want to help the DNC in Johnson County however we can.

Well I am sure I'll see you around, then! I used to work in state politics back when I lived in Massachusetts and now I want to dip my toe back into the game after this election. Hopefully the restaurant is tasty!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hopefully president trump doesn't make me have to turn my kids into homeschooled freakazoids after the department of education gets abolished

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the socialization is more important than any type of book learning.

but maybe not in kansas depending on your neighbors.

So very true.

Also!

If anyone else is interested in ever going to one of the meetings here is some information:

Our local DNC County Chair is Nancy Leiker (njleiker at gmail.com)

And here is the email she sent me:

Johnson County DNC posted:

We’d love to see you at one of our monthly events! We meet for a speaker breakfast every 2nd Saturday at Lucky Brewgrille, 5401 Johnson Drive in Mission. Breakfast is served at 8AM and speaker starts at 8:30. We also meet on the last Wednesday of every month for a Happy Hour from 5:30 to 7:00PM, also at Lucky Brewgrille.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 11, 2016

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just wanted to remind people that the monthly Democratic Party Happy Hour is happening tomorrow at 5:30 - 7:00 p.m at Lucky Brewgrille off of Johnson Drive in Mission KS. It isn't as boring as you think it would be!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

Even if it gets vetoed I am still laughing at seeing this go through.

VETOOOOOOO! This is all driven by a dead head in Overland Park... trying to get us to pay for her Snowflakes...

~Tim Berman, man on the street

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Beo posted:

watch us elect kobach tho.

We should just cut out the middle man and elect a Koch brother.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/839605566083334147

So is this a time to rejoice or just more reason to hate yourselves?

I'm glad to see things turned out so well for him after destroying my state's economy. I guess all of those old ladies praying for him really did turn some things around for him after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

rscott posted:

As far as the state party goes IDK. There was a lot of new blood at the annual meeting but the KDP hates being reminded that Kansas exists outside of Johnson County and Topeka/Lawrence so who knows how they'll take being proven wrong by an outsider from Wichita

I live in Johnson County and have done some work with the KDP here and there (I am a committee person), and while the party is worthless for sure, it wasn't completely incompetent this time around. I was getting emails to go to Wichita for weekend canvassing and a bunch of things for phone banking towards the tail end of the campaign, for instance. That being said, I only got those messages because I've actively sought out ways to be involved; I don't know if they mentioned those activities on social media or the like.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 12, 2017

• Locked thread