Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, there was a bit of a traffic incident where Kouichi got a bit distracted staring at a woman walking down the street, thus failing to notice a dog running out onto the road, thus causing him to swerve, thus causing a truck full of fruit that was driving behind him to swerve, thus causing all the fruit to spill out, thus causing us to have to pick all of that up.

Oh yeah, the little bugger ran off, instead of staying to help.

As I mentioned, you should be able to guess who the woman is, but nevertheless let's talk to her and see what she has to say.

I'm guessing this is a translation error and they are talking about the dog. Unfortunately I don't have the Japanese version of the game to check (and would have to play it in parallel anyway).

Are you all right?
Me? I'm stronger than I look.
Anyway, there are bad guys everywhere, aren't there? Why do they give driver's licenses to those guys?
Don't you agree?
Yeah... you're right.
(I'm pretty sure that that was Kouichi on that motorcycle...)

Medical University Hospital?

Yes, that's right.
Wow! What a coincidence. I'm starting my internship at that same hospital today.

Like everybody else, she also has a name with a double meaning. Yuma is an ordinary Japanese female name, but if written with the particular two characters (侑万) it can be taken to describe somebody who likes to eat a lot. This is relevant, because she is that particular anime trope, I'm sorry to say.

Note taken: About Aoshima-san.

Might as well note her name.

Are you an intern too?
You're an intern too?
I'm...

We present the note about ourselves, and...

My name is Tendo Dokuta, I'm an intern at Seimei Hospital.
What? So I didn't need to be so polite?
Huh?
You're an intern, just like me. I'm shocked.
I'm pleased to meet you.

As always, when dialogue gets a bit like this, you can safely assume that it plays better in Japanese. No real effort was made to try and localise it at least a little bit. Yes, I plan to keep complaining about the translation.

In any case, later that day, in the staff room...

Yes, we know. She's a little annoying actually.

(I'm sure that that's the girl...)

We'll present back to her the note we just made...

Aoshima-san, is Suzu-sensei your supervisor?
Oh? The two of you know each other?
Yeah, a little while ago. We just...

quick worker.

Aoshima-san, you're not serious are you?
Oh? It's just a joke.
It's half true.
Suzu-sensei!!
Yeah, yeah.
Well in that case, you don't need an introduction. Tendo, I'm counting on you.
Eh? Er-r-r... in what sense?
It's her first day, so help Aoshima with her clinical records and her out-patients.
You can do that, can't you?
Well... yeah.
But I thought that you were my supervisor, Suzu-sensei.
That's right. Feel free to ask me anything you're unsure of.
If possible, I'd really like to attend one of your operations.
There's no need to be in such a hurry. We'll start out slowly. You have to get used to this place first. Does that make sense?
Yes...

And with that, Aoshima and Tendo leave... but Aoshima is not done...

(Just as I thought...)
I wonder if Suzu-sensei is mad at me.
No, she can't be.
Then why doesn't she give me better instructions?
She was the same with me in the beginning. I didn't get any useful advice from her. In the beginning she would get angry every time I asked for help...
Really? That's so frustrating!
What does it matter that my supervising physician has the "Healing Touch" if she doesn't help me?
Ha ha!
Don't laugh!
Sorry. For the time being, let me take you on a tour of the hospital while I do my rounds.

Aoshima and Tendo both really need to chill a bit honestly. Interesting mention of a "healing touch"--it will be mentioned again soon--since it is a staple of the Trauma Centre series, but I think this game is having a bit of a dig at that as you will soon see. (Note: while the first Tendo Dokuta game was released before Trauma Centre, this sequel was released after, so it makes sense they would have a bit of a joke at the expense of the other series)

Incidentally, Aoshima is certainly one of the people who we can end up dating, but there is still quite a bit of time before that becomes relevant.

First, why not go to pediatrics and introduce here to Dr. Ueto.

I just started today. My name is Aoshima Yuma.
I'm Ueto, a pediatrician. Until very recently, I was an intern, just like you.
I've just begun my internship. Suzu-sensei is my supervisor.
Oh, Suzu-sensei is your supervisor. You're in good hands.
I don't know why... but Dr. Tendo was put in charge of me. I don't think that bodes well for my future here...
Aoshima-san! I'm here you know?
I'm sure you'll be very busy, don't forget to take care of yourself.
Thanks! I'll do my best.

Next, let's go and introduce her to one of our patients, Mr. Heikichi... We will be venturing into the "WTF Japan!" territory for a little bit here.

cancer with SPX.

It's a drug developed by Professor Sawai that bolsters the immune system.
Do you mean the famous Professor Sawai?
Yes... that Professor Sawai.

Obviously, Aoshima is hitting a bit of a sore spot here, without realising.

The pleasure is all mine! Absolutely beautiful.
This is my room. Everyone calls me "Quick Hands Heikichi".
"Quick Hands"? Why?
Well, it's...
Aoshima-san, watch out!
Huh?

(Scream!)

(Wham!)

"Quick Hands Heikichi".

An aside: see, now, when I said lazy localisation, I didn't really qualify exactly how lazy. Well, this kind of lazy. That nobody even bothered to translate the full screen sound effects. I think that's pretty lazy. Can you imagine a Phoenix Wright where the word "Objection" shows up full screen in untranslated Japanese? No, I didn't think you could.

Next time on LifeSigns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've seen Healing Touch show up in a few other places. I think a character in Say Hello to Black Jack was said to have one (no, has nothing to do with Tezuka's Blackjack. It's a very sobering manga which is extremely critical of the Japanese health care system) along with a dude in Team Medical Dragon.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I've seen Healing Touch show up in a few other places. I think a character in Say Hello to Black Jack was said to have one (no, has nothing to do with Tezuka's Blackjack. It's a very sobering manga which is extremely critical of the Japanese health care system) along with a dude in Team Medical Dragon.

Team Medical Dragon literally shows what the Japanese health care system is really like, it's all about tenure and the old boys club and choosing patients that won't screw up someone's record.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Wow, the intern is REALLY annoying already.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Dariusknight posted:

Team Medical Dragon literally shows what the Japanese health care system is really like, it's all about tenure and the old boys club and choosing patients that won't screw up someone's record.

They don't own borderline negligent patient cherry-picking and status-mongering! :911:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What is the intern's deal? Is she an overachiever?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is the intern's deal? Is she an overachiever?

Just a little bit... but she's going to get put into her place shortly, no worries. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think she'd be fishing for a spot in Dr. Sekai's research team, right?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, we started taking our new colleague, Aoshima, around the hospital to meet various people. Let's now take her to the room of our favourite appendicitis patient, Asuza Inose.

Asuza-san seems to be asleep.

Not quite sure why such a skeptical expression there...

Yes.
Under Suzu-sensei's guidance?
Well, yes.
I've heard that Suzu-sensei is a great surgeon.
Me too.
Is it true that she performed a 10-hour operation in one hour with her "healing touch"?

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned a joke at the expense of Trauma Centre, because as I recall there when you "activate" the healing touch, the time basically stops, or something like that.

That's a little exaggerated...
But I heard it from Chief Nurse Florence.

Chief Nurse Florence needs to reduce the amount of gossip that she spreads around the hospital in my opinion.

It's true that Suzu-sensei is a great surgeon. I've attended a lot of her operations... She really does have the healing touch.

directly by Suzu-sensei!

to attend one of her operations.

I have no comment to this.

Anyway, a few moments later...

Oh, right, that explains it.

Make sure you watch Tendo closely. I expect a lot from you.
Yes, I will.

Sawai leaves.

A bit blunt but pretty cute. Don't you think, Dr. Tendo?
I... suppose.
What's wrong? You seem gloomy again.
Really? I look gloomy?
You asked the same thing a few minutes ago.
...Ha!
Ha, huh...?

...and with that invigorating exchange between the two interns, it's finally the end of the second day of Tendo's second year of being a medical intern!

Another beautiful morning...

Asuza-san is...)

What's wrong with you now.

(Hmm... I wonder if she's still worried about yesterday...)

Because you're both wearing matching white.
If that were the case, all doctors would be dating.
Yeah, I was only joking.
Who is this rude guy?

To continue the conversation we present the note about Kouichi Inose that we made earlier.

His sister had an appendectomy yesterday...
I'm Kouichi Inose. Nice to meet you.
Eh...? ...What?! I get the feeling that we've met before.

Yes, he almost ran you over on his motorbike.

Really? Me too, in fact, I feel something special. Do you think that, maybe, we're soul mates?
No, but I've got a feeling we've met before...

Presenting the apple will jog her memory.

yesterday?

Sure it was me, but I didn't hit the puppy. I managed to avoid it, didn't I?
It was you! Just as I thought!
Next time look where you're going!
Aoshima-san, calm down...
How can I calm down while listening to this? You almost killed that dog.
You should be glad that nothing happened to me while I was avoiding the dog.

fine, is that it?

a human's?

Note taken: Aoshima's way of thinking

Worth making a note of this, it may prove important at some point.

Look, I agree. It's wrong for me to hit a dog. I do. Don't be so mad.
Stop making fun of me!
You're crazy. Doctor, it must be hard to have such a crazy girlfriend. I feel sympathy for you.
No, she isn't my girlfriend...
Never mind, I'm leaving!

I don't believe that guy! How are guys like that still around in the 21st century?! ...Like weeds allowed to flourish.
That's... really rude...
What?
Never mind.

him!

While Aoshima is not exactly in the wrong here, the way she presents her arguments could use a bit of tweaking, not to mention a serious need for an overall attitude adjustment.

A bit later, we can find Aoshima again in one of the rooms. Let's see if she's calmed down.

Looks to be in a better mood, yes.

What?
I'd like to do a blood test on myself. Could you take the sample from me?
Aoshima-san, is something wrong with you?
No, that's not it. It seems that my blood matched the HLA of a patient with leukaemia.
Aoshima-san, are you a registered marrow donor? I am too. I became a donor for my younger sister.
Your sister... had leukaemia?

HLA (Human Leukocyte Antigen) is a protein found on most cells of the human body and it has to do with the immune system. Therefore for a successful transplant of bone marrow in case of leukaemia it is extremely beneficial if this matches between the donor and the recipient. Normally this is inherited from parents, about half/half of genetic makeup of it from either--hence siblings will have about 25% chance to be a match to each other, so most of the time donor needs to be found outside of the immediate family.

Other than that, this business with Tendo's sister's cancer has been covered in the first game.

Yeah, she's fine now.
You're the only other Doctor that I've met who's a registered donor.
Yeah, me too. I don't know any other registered donors.
Aoshima-san, why did you register?
I just thought that... there are a lot of patients waiting for marrow... I figured that I should do what I can about that. It's irritating to just sit there and not do anything about it.
Aoshima-san, you're young, but you're really great.
What do you mean? You're not that different, Dr. Tendo.
You offer your seat to the elderly and you put money in!donation boxes. It's the same thing, isn't it?

Well, that was a much more pleasant conversation.

As a matter of fact, we should go check on Asuza... but before that...

Yeah, I think she'll be able to leave in a week.
I am told that her brother came by today, too.
Yeah, he skips school. That's why she worries.

become a Doctor. Didn't you?

Ok then, time to go visit our patient.

hospital how?

But, your wounds aren't healed yet.
What a complete disaster. My hospital bills are piling up and I'm not working.
It's just one week.
It's a maximum of one week! Right?
It's necessary for your treatment. You'll need to avoid anything strenuous for a while after leaving the hospital.
I work in an office so I should be OK there.

you?

didn't I?

Let's talk outside.

Listen, I don't mean to interfere with your family affairs... But I think... it's better not to worry your sister.
Stop poking your nose into my business. Who do you think you are?

Well, actually, his sister's attending physician, and we have a note to prove it!

I'm your sister's attending physician. Your sister has been worrying about money since she fell ill. If she continues like this, she won't heal properly.
I guess I'm just being a nuisance...
No, you're not.

died.

(I seem to recall you saying that about yourself)

Tendo is right, Asuza was saying the opposite and Kouich was the one who blamed himself earlier! In any case, let's present the note we made about this to find out more. Because we'll completely disregard his request for us to butt out of his family business.

Your parents died in a car accident didn't they?! You weren't driving the car, were you?
No. My parents were on their way to pick me up from the police station when they had the accident. So, if I hadn't been arrested,my mother and father would still be alive.
Still... I don't think that your sister thinks that about you...
Ask her yourself.
That... would only make her worry more. Regardless, as Asuza-san's attending physician I will not tolerate this. Until Asuza-san leaves this hospital, you will follow my instructions.
All right. That's just perfect.
Perfect?

A moment later...

It's my own fault.

That's not true. Asuza-san, you look after your brother all by yourself.
Still, he's my only brother.
I have enough trouble just taking care of myself... You do a lot for him.

Note taken: Asuza and Kouichi.

Outside...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dariusknight posted:

It's still a power-trip due to Asuda's do-no-wrong actions and his plot invincibility. I like the guy and I admit he is pretty badass, but let's face it, he's a Marty Stu (Genius Surgeon! Ability to diagnose people in a flash! Bangs a hot nurse! Can find affected tissue machines can't pick up via palpitation! Operates on anyone who needs it and asks for nothing in return!)

OTOH, Say Hello to Black Jack is a much more serious and down to earth story about what it's like to be a cog in the machine. And what an insignificant cog you are. Which admittedly is a problem with the manga, it's morose as gently caress.

Anyway, reason I bring it up is because both of those manga claim that internship is super important in Japan. Depending on who your mentor is, your career prospects vary wildly. Aoshima is worried she is going to get stuck with an incompetent senior as her mentor which will worsen her ability to get hired in the future. Not sure how true that is, but it does help explain why Aoshima is being such a jerk to Tendo.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
You know, I really need to read Team Medical Dragon, I keep hearing good stuff about it every once in a while and then I forget about it until next time...

So, I guess, thanks for reminding me about it again. ;)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ivantod posted:

You know, I really need to read Team Medical Dragon, I keep hearing good stuff about it every once in a while and then I forget about it until next time...

So, I guess, thanks for reminding me about it again. ;)

Fair warning, the story is unfinished because the author died from liver cancer in real life.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Guesses on problem... hmm. Dude probably hit up the cashier on his way out

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

In the previous episode, Dr. Tendo got a sudden phone call.

What happened?
There are some very scary people in the lobby.
Scary people?
They say they want to see Kouichi. Who's Kouichi?
That's Asuza-san's brother.
Aha! That rowdy guy... I guess those are his friends? Do you think I should call security?
I'm on my way. Let's wait a bit before calling security.

Over at the reception...

Those are definitely three ugly punks...

here quickly!

Ah, well, that explains a lot.

that name, but they won't listen to me.

And, who are you?
Are you blind?
We make all the kids cry in fear... We're The Three Maiuei Gang!

I have no clue what this "maiuei" is supposed to be. The only thing I know that sounds like that in Japanese is just the transliteration of English phase "My Way" but I am not sure how that fits. Looking at the Japanese version of the game probably wouldn't help as the phrase is likely to be spelled phonetically, rather than with kanji so we wouldn't gain any new insight there. Unless there is a spelling error in translation, which is possible. If anybody has an idea, feel free to comment.

They look awful...
(Are these the guys Asuza-san was talking about?)
Kouichi is not here. If you don't have any other business, please leave. You're disturbing the patients.

tomorrow.

(Kouichi! He was still here?)

Have you got the money?

Come on... Didn't I tell you not to come here?
You're late, so we came to you.
I don't have the money.
What?
I told you. I don't have the money! I'm not going to pay you any money. I'm out of your gang.

Yeah, I'm not sure this is how these things normally work...

What? Sorry. That's not good enough.
You never even changed the name? It's still "The Three Maiuei Gang" even after I joined? So what do you mean I can't leave the gang?
Leave Kouichi alone.
Huh? Who are you to be talking tough?
Doctor, this is none of your business! Stay out of it!
It is my business. You're Asuza Inose-san's brother, right?
So what?

Show him the note "Asuza and Kouichi" about how his sister worries about him a lot.

Your sister will worry if something happens to you!
Hey, Kouichi. You can't be serious about leaving the group?

Finally. They sure took their sweet time.

Well, at least they are gone.

Let's go back to Asuza...

It's because the beds around here are empty.
It's nice not having to deal with those brats from my school.
Do you miss the students?
Not at all. In addition to that I have to deal with a big brat every day. I'm tired of taking care of him.
But Kouichi comes to see you here every day.

(I don't think that Kouichi just wants to skip school!)

We should also check how Hoshi is doing since she was there at the reception during the "incident"!

...you looked great!

Have you been learning martial arts at home or something, Hoshi-san?
That's right! I can flip a person three times my weight!
You look pretty tough, Hoshi-san. You certainly don't need a bodyguard.
That's not true.

Well, that was fun. As you can imagine by now, Hoshi is also one of the people we can end up dating later on.

As always, now it's the time to check on our special patient.

kicking!

That made Aoshima-san really angry. Don't over do it, OK.
Really? She comes in everyday. Maybe she's into me? Hey, do you think so?
...Ahhh... Wow! Such a young girl after me, at my age! I'm not finished.
Well, well, well. But how about you?
What about me?

Note taken: Suzu-sensei's birthday!

You know that Suzu-sensei is not my girlfriend, she's my supervisor.
It's the same thing, isn't it? So what are you going to give her?
I don't know, I suppose I should give her something though, huh?
Of course.
OK, I'll think about it.

(I should probably go shopping and see.)

Yes, we better do something about the birthday thing!

And so Tendo goes to the gift shop--the game doesn't make clear if this is actually the hospital gift shop, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Incidentally, what kind of name is that for a gift shop, "Last Pleasure"? Unless it's some kind of translation blunder again, which also wouldn't surprise me.

So this is like a mini-mini game. We need to click around the shop until we find the right item. It's kind of pointless since game won't let us proceed anyway until we find it, so it's not like you can give her the wrong item or anything like that.

surreal...)

(All right, there is a lot to choose from here... Considering the contents of my wallet, I'm pretty limited in what I can buy.)

All of them feature Kakkii; a very popular idol right now.

Fear not, Kakkii (or Kakki or or Kakii, the game can't spell his name the same way twice anyway) will certainly figure very prominently in our story quite soon. I mean, what would this kind of game be without an idol character, right?

We can look at a few more items, but none are the right ones, until...

put on a great show.

Ah, game, nobody loved you enough to even bother proofreading the text...

I bought a concert ticket.

The game (or at least the translator) also can't seem to decide if it's one singer or a group... Not to mention that the picture clearly shows TWO tickets and not just one.

In fact, we should go and give the tickets to her right now!

birthday! This is a present for you.

I just bought it in a regular shop.
But these are premium tickets that were sold out 5 seconds after going on sale.
Really? But they are all so young.
Sure, but the value of their music isn't measured by their age, right?
Yeah...

nothing!

number.

Ahh... I think everybody in the hospital already knows your number.
That's what you think. I've switched phone companies recently and my number has changed.

Received: Suzu-sensei's cellphone number.

Well, at least one can still count on Suzu-sensei for a bit of mischief, if nothing else. Also, I hope you enjoyed this episode which was completely Aoshima-free!

Next time on LifeSigns:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 3, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They say he carved that club out of a bigger club.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Was there a "No, gently caress you dad!" smile? I thought there was, but I can't find it.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was there a "No, gently caress you dad!" smile? I thought there was, but I can't find it.

If you're talking about "No you shut the gently caress up, dad!" I'm pretty sure that's just a thread tag and not a smilie.

So what's the deal with old pervert patient?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So what's the deal with old pervert patient?

It's an anime trope.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Well, we ran those guys off with a quickness. Here I thought we'd have to patch up some injuries.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Glazius posted:

Huh. Well, we ran those guys off with a quickness. Here I thought we'd have to patch up some injuries.

Heh, I wouldn't worry too much... we are barely halfway through the first 'episode' and there's still two more operations to go even. Plenty of time for all sorts of injuries! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time we celebrated Suzu-sensei's birthday. But now is already a new day. What will it bring? Remember how the last episode didn't have any Aoshima in it? Yeah, this one is a little different...

Asuza-san is...)

Seems like every day starts like this...

So let's find out.

Oh man, this will get ugly again, won't it?

My sister doesn't trust me.
It's true. I was there.
So, it's true then?
I've already told you that.! Have I ever lied to you?
Too many times to count.
All right, but that's different. That was then... this is now. That's why I said that you don't have to worry.
I think that's probably impossible as long as you're alive.
You're mean.
Oh, there's something I wanted to give you.
What's that?
Money?
100 thousand yen. Use it for the hospital bill.

I was given a brown envelope.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that's not how these things work.

Hold on, how did you get the money?
It doesn't matter. Don't worry.
You didn't do anything that you could be arrested for, did you?
Are you nuts?
So how did you get it then?
I've been secretly working a part time job.
You're lying. I can tell by your eyes. You didn't get a part time job.

It's just not for me.

Speaking of girlfriends, how IS she doing?

Why is he riding a bicycle?
He sold his motorcycle.
Really? But why all of a sudden?
A lot has happened.
Like what?
I imagine he feels guilty in his own way. Perhaps it has something to do with kindness to animals.

Don't worry, this is far from the end of the Inose family drama...

Clinical records to sort... still 20 to go. The next was treatment room No. 3.
Aoshima-san, are you all right?
Please, don't talk to me. You'll make me forget what I have to do next!
Can I help you?
No. Thank you. I've got to learn to do this on my own.
OK. Well, good luck.

don't keep her waiting.

Ok. I'm off.
(Aoshima-san is carrying too much, I hope she can manage it...)

There is a new person in the staff room, so while Aoshima is talking to Suzu, let's go see who he is.

I really don't have anything to say about his tie...

medicine.)

Hopefully not to be confused with other characters named Heikichi or for that matter Kouichi. Sometimes I wonder if it's just me who has an issue with Sauron vs. Saruman in Lord of the Rings. It can't be just me, can it?

So, about Heikichi-san...
I'd like to assign his SPX treatment to you, from now on.
Me?
I've been recording all of the data on the project instead of Professor Sawai. He's been really busy with other business.
Well, I'm sure that I wouldn't understand his business. He-he-he, he-he-he.
I understand. I'll take over administering Heikichi-san's drugs.

Wait a minute, isn't Aoshima...

bad mood.

SPX and tried to leave the hospital. Somehow he was calmed down later. He's back, being treated here.)

Heikichi-san's caregiver?

Note taken: Heikichi-san's attending Doctor.

This is definitely a bit strange.

Oh well, Suzu it is then.

...but Aoshima is already here.

before it piles up.

Oh, this is totally going to end well. I have no doubt.

It'll be too late once an accident happens.
Ok.
Ok, you can go.

job.

What is this about?

Looks like this might have something to do with Heikichi.

I have an impression that in the original Japanese at least some of these conversations are conducted in a slightly more formal language, so this "Ok, goodbye" really stands out in a bad way.

(Aoshima-san looks depressed.)

Listen...
What's the matter Tendo?

We should mention that Dr. Keiichi assigned us to be in charge of administering SPX to Heikichi-san.

I came to tell you that Dr. Keiichi entrusted me with Heikichi-san's drug administration.
How come?
Apparently Dr. Keiichi was in charge of it until recently...
But that duty was just transferred to Aoshima.
What... Dr. Keiichi didn't say anything about that.
He probably didn't think it was his place to say anything. That's the way he is.
So, does that mean that for the last few days Aoshima-san has been in charge of Heikichi-san? If that's the case, why me now?
Yesterday, Aoshima-san made a mistake and gave Heikichi-san the wrong dosage of SPX. Fortunately, the difference was minimal so Heikichi-san was fine.
(Oh, that's why Aoshima-san was called in...)
What will happen to Aoshima?
In what sense?
If I am put in charge of Heikichi-san, what will Aoshima-san's position be?

duty, shel'll be upset.

about that.

I honestly like Suzu as a character. She jokes around sometimes, but she's on the ball when she needs to be.

Let's make a quick stop at Heikichi's room for no particular reason.

around?

In case you forgot, Hikaru is Tendo's younger sister.

She's busy preparing for her school's welcome party for new students.
It's good she's enjoying school.
Everything at school is new for her.
Family is very important.
Eh?
Hikaru is like one of my own grandchildren, but... I couldn't help her, when she needed me. You saved her from leukaemia. I'm really grateful for that.
I did what any older brother would do, that's all.
Don't be so shy young man! You act like we're on a first date!

But our real next stop is Aoshima.

be fine.

you more.

nervous!

Over at the reception desk, Nurse Florence has a message for us.

get Heikichi-san's SPX administration records from the second ward.

And take them to Professor Sawai's office. SPX administration records are kept at the nurse's station.
I understand. The nurse's station. Right.

So I'm going to save you a bit of time again. This is another mini game where we need to click around the screen to find the required item. Upon finding the right drawer, Tendo realises that it is locked so then has to go back to Keiichi to get the key.

Heikichi-san's caregivers.

Thanks and sorry about the trouble.
Aoshima-san was in charge before me, right?
Well... yes.
By the way there is a new noodle bar opening next to the Bokka Bokkatei shop. There'll be more options for lunch.

At this point Keiichi gives Tendo the key for the drawer, but we can skip that dialogue as it contains nothing interesting. Also that conversation was extremely relevant... not.

the drug administration record.

After getting the SPX administration file, we can proceed to Sawai's office, but...

I came to give you something.

We should give him the file we just picked up

Ah, right. From now on you'll be in charge of the SPX patients.
Aoshima, you were one step away from killing that patient.
That's why... from now on...
(Aoshima-san must have come to apologize for administering the drug incorrectly.)

clear, Tendo?

at the hospital?

best!

Professor Sawai. Isn't that a bit unfair?
Let me finish.
Aoshima, you don't have much experience yet. And you're not used to this kind of work. If you continue to treat this patient and make the same mistake again... You could be fired.
You have a lot of important work left to do. Don't fail again.
I... I understand.
This time, I share the responsibility because I assigned you the task. So let's not worry about it this time.

Who's that? Also, I am pretty sure that this line is poorly translated, as I believe it's actually directed at Sawai and not as a response to what Aoshima just said. It should probably be something like "This is inexcusable!".

Hey, why not, Suzu might just as well join this whole thing.

didn't you?

alone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why does every character look so strange?

I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's like some kind of uncanny valley for animes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just noticed this, but this game uses both "Dr." and "-sensei" for names. That's weird aren't they the same thing?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

I just noticed this, but this game uses both "Dr." and "-sensei" for names. That's weird aren't they the same thing?

Yes they are the same.

And to confirm that, here are some screenshots from the first game, in Japanese:

On this one you can see Tendo referring to Suzu as Asou-sensei (麻生先生) -- Asou is her last name.

This second one shows our main character referring to Dr. Ueto as Ueto-sensei (上戸先生). Yes, this is what Ueto used to look like, and they do at some point in the second game make a reference how she's no longer wearing shades.

Finally, this applies even to interns... on this screenshot above our favourite nurse in pink uses Tendou-sensei (天堂先生) to refer to our main character.

Sawai is still referred to as Professor Sawai (沢井教授)in Japanese version.

Why they decided to randomly keep Sensei for Suzu but not for others, I have no idea, I guess to somehow reinforce that she is Tendo's mentor, although I think in Japanese it doesn't have quite so strong connotation of that in this setting. But then they still make a mess of it, since Suzu is her first name, so it's unlikely that anybody would call her Suzu-sensei by her first name (as we can see above where they call her Asou-sensei in the Japanese version anyway). No, the translation of this game is basically one disaster after another. The best thing that can be said is that there are not too many grammatical errors. :v:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 11, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So, in the first game, how many minutes did it take for our hero to go "Wow, I understand why mom left this douche"? One, one and an half top?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yeah, OP you can probably load your English save file into the Japanese version of the game if you're using an emulator. You can do this to check translation differences without playing through all the scenarios. That's how I got my videos of the JP version of SF3's final boss (because the MC's climactic yell in English is terrible.)

If you're using DeSmuME, load the JP game, then under file select "Import Backup Memory" and then select your ENG save file.
You might get a window complaining about save file size differences, but usually the default option is fine so just click okay. If it doesn't work, try selecting the second option in that window.

VV Ah yeah that could happen too. Ah well.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 11, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Omobono posted:

So, in the first game, how many minutes did it take for our hero to go "Wow, I understand why mom left this douche"? One, one and an half top?

I think he finds out near the end of the first game if I am not mistaken.

SSNeoman posted:

Oh yeah, OP you can probably load your English save file into the Japanese version of the game if you're using an emulator. You can do this to check translation differences without playing through all the scenarios. That's how I got my videos of the JP version of SF3's final boss (because the MC's climactic yell in English is terrible.)

If you're using DeSmuME, load the JP game, then under file select "Import Backup Memory" and then select your ENG save file.
You might get a window complaining about save file size differences, but usually the default option is fine so just click okay. If it doesn't work, try selecting the second option in that window.

Hmm, I've tried to do this now, but all that happens is that after importing the save and selecting the option to continue from save point the screen in emulator goes blank and game does not play any more. Looks like the English and Japanese versions are not really compatible. The one issue is potentially that I have a European version of the game, which is a typical EU Nintendo deal with 5 languages in one cartridge so that may cause the issue. Ah, we'll see, I'll give it a few more tries and see what happens.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this seems like a lot of drama for as many actual operations as we've had to do.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
We obviously need to romance Florence. Not only is she an industry veteran with her finger on the pulse of the entire facility, as an older woman she's likely experienced in love. Her faith probably means she's kinky as gently caress, too.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ivantod posted:

I'm guessing this is a translation error and they are talking about the dog. Unfortunately I don't have the Japanese version of the game to check (and would have to play it in parallel anyway).

Yeah, I'd assume the original uses 子 there which usually means child or young woman but can be used about young or little animals too.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Pvt.Scott posted:

We obviously need to romance Florence. Not only is she an industry veteran with her finger on the pulse of the entire facility, as an older woman she's likely experienced in love. Her faith probably means she's kinky as gently caress, too.

Haha, unfortunately, Florence is not available for dating in this game. :v: There is only three people who are an option for that: Aoshima, Hoshi (who I've already mentioned) and, of all people, Sanae. If you can't remember who is Sanae, I don't blame you--we've only seen her briefly: she's the creepy OR nurse. But that last one is more of a joke option, so really it just comes down to Hoshi and Aoshima.

tiistai posted:

Yeah, I'd assume the original uses 子 there which usually means child or young woman but can be used about young or little animals too.

I'm pretty sure you're right on this one. It just goes to show how little attention was given to this game's translation, which is kind of annoying.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 15, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ivantod posted:

But that last one is more of a joke option,

I think you know which one we're all hoping you pick.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Joke options are still options :colbert:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ivantod posted:

I'm pretty sure you're right on this one. It just goes to show how little attention was given to this game's translation, which is kind of annoying.

It kinda reads like the translator just wrote the initial literal translation and expected someone to edit and proofread it later.

Except that nobody did.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Cool LP, ivantod, but man, it's not just you thinking that the translation is rough. use of -san and -sensei notwithstanding, this is probably one of the more literal translation jobs I've seen in a while, with a bunch of Japanese phrasing that really has no business being translated directly making it into an English script. "Dr. Tendo was put in charge of me" seems particularly jarring thanks to the use of the passive and implications of being "in charge" of a person that seems to come across more naturally. Feel free to keep bringing up weird examples and I'll try to provide context for them too!

Also, for those curious, apparently the healthcare in Japan is such that the patient is expected to pay 30% on hospital visits. The rate of people going to the hospital is also extremely high, approximately 3-4 times that of the U.S. and there is apparently less hesitation towards seeing a doctor for relatively minor illnesses and treatments. Apparently the night staff situation described earlier is due to the hospitals having significantly reduced personnel during non-business hours, which means that if you get in a car accident in Japan at 3 in the morning you are more likely to get screwed over.

I also second the reading of Team Medical Dragon (or Iryu as it is called in the Japanese) if largely for the author's entertaining if over-wrought use of visual metaphor:

ModeWondershot fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 16, 2015

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

ModeWondershot posted:

I also second the reading of Team Medical Dragon (or Iryu as it is called in the Japanese) if largely for the author's entertaining if over-wrought use of visual metaphor:

There're also 4 series of the Japanese drama, Team Medical Dragon, on Crunchyroll for free viewing in licenced areas: http://www.crunchyroll.com/iryu-team-medical-dragon

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Well thank you both for the useful information and looks like I will have lots of reading/watching material for the coming weeks. Even though I don't live in the US, Crunchyroll videos seem to work for me, so that's good.

Also, next update should be coming tomorrow--we are not too far now from the end of first "episode". :v:

Galadrieal
May 7, 2011
I see quite a bit of Ace Attorney influence in the the game's character designs, especially in the doctors. I can't stop calling Sawai "Von Karma" in my head.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Really Pants posted:

Why does every character look so strange?

I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's like some kind of uncanny valley for animes.

Fair point. But in a way, I kind of like it. It's refreshing to see an art style that's different from the usual anime style, and it helps establish that this isn't a medical game where you're an unstoppable surgeon who operates with lasers, hot blood, and a magical ability to slow down time. It's a down to earth medical game where the characters have to sometimes deal with paperwork.

It doesn't hurt that the art style is fairly varied and expressive too. Ironically, it reminds me of Trauma Center's original art style before it got revamped to match the rest of the series art styles.

Also, first game Ueto is too cool for med school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if the game will have some sort of ongoing plot to go along with individual cases.