Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's uh, you're strangely unflappable, Asuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't believe all of that was a complete waste of time. I want to believe it won't be but it sure looks like it.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I think the problem is that Mamoru was thoroughly established as hilariously lame, so the whole segment feels extremely unlikely once he showed up to claim credit.

On the other hand, maybe he is just a decoy, since he has no reason or ability to get the info to be so precise in Ririko's affairs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was a little too well informed. even if he found out the details of what ririko was working on, how did he anticipate her bringing along 10 yakuza enforcers? for that matter, where did he get the money for all this? the dude wasn't wealthy. the sequence was just so baffling.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
At this rate the end of the game will be Ririko waking up and revealing all the events of the game were a dream.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, why don't they call the cops now? "hey it's me, the guy you know who did all these crimes. i'm going to do more later!" and then they all go home and act as though there is nothing they could possibly do.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Last time, we were chasing after the kidnapped Asuka all over Tokyo and playing games with who ultimately turned out to be for some reason Kakiuchi Mamoru. At the moment it all seems like a pointless distraction to make the game artificially longer, but we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, Asuka has been recovered and we continue back on track with our invesitation (although there seem to be so many different threads, that it's hard to even tell exactly what we are investigating!).

As before, the gang is gathered at the Limelight bar.

Then, let's start the strategy meeting.
Let's go over this once more, getting back to the point in time when Asuka was kidnapped. Yesterday, Goto Masayuki was talking to Tanaka Hideaki about something, right?

Since the updates have been a bit slow lately, and there's still a bunch of characters for whom we only know the names but haven't really met them in real life, I'll take the opportunity to remind you who everybody is from time to time--hopefully this helps so that we can remember all the people who were involved in this case over the last couple of chapters. So, here let me mention that Tanaka "Shuumei" Hideaki is the right hand man of the political party representative Yazaki Kengo, whom Ririko's husband was investigating before leaving.

Right, sorry. After you were kidnapped, Goto called Tanaka. He said that we were causing trouble, but he promised Tanaka he wasn't going to do anything to us until he gets the go-ahead.
So if he gets the go-ahead he's going to get involved.
Well, it looks like that. Goto, Tanaka, Yazaki, that seems to be the connection. So I don't know how Asakura Ryou ties into all that. But for now, I guess we'll have to think how to attack this line.
Yuuji, you have read "The King of Darkness", right? Have you looked up St. Paul's church in Hanno?

But I just called them, and they said there is nobody names Asakura Tetsuya there.
Maybe he's using an alias. Probably he wouldn't want to use his real name.

Probably worth looking into. Oh, right, Yuuji, what happened to Hotta Keiko, Ishihara's girlfriend? Did you find out anything?

Ishihara Taichi is Asakura's childhood friend ("Youth A") and now presumably one of his goons.

Sorry, didn't manage this time. Her bar, "Lupin" was also closed that day.
Well, nothing to about that now. Let's just add it to the blackboard and we'll look into it.

It seems the game also realises we need a refresher here! Although this does not include any of Asakura's goons like Ishihara or Shimabukuro.

Then, should we split up again?
Sorry, Asuka. You will stay here and work together with Mayumi as a liaison for a while. Yuuji and I will take it over from here.
What the...! What are you saying, Ririko-san!
This is the problem, I can't involve you directly any more.

Asuka, what you're saying makes sense, but think about it also from Ririko's side. I know how much she was worried when you got kidnapped.

I get that, but...
But then, how about this. Let's ask Asuka to check out "Lupin". When I was there I saw a sign, "Hostess Wanted". I'm sure Asuka could get herself hired easily. Hotta Keiko seems quite distrustful, so you could potentially get close to her and see what she has to say.
That's a good idea, Yuuji. They don't know what she looks like, so she could get in there. What do you think, Asuka? Do you agree?

Considering that Ririko and Asuka visited Goto several times, and he may be connected to the rest of them, this whole "they don't know what she looks like" thing is on a bit of shaky feet.

All right. If I work there part time, maybe I can dig something out.
Just in case, Sakamoto-kun should be there as a client.

It's fine. I'll make sure to talk to him about it so he knows what he's doing. So, Asuka, how about it?
Fine, fine. I get it.
Then let's get a move on.

A bit later, Ririko and Yuuji are in the car.

So... what shall we do first?
Well...

But before she can answer, she is interrupted by her mobile phone ringing...

Ah, it's Suzaki-san.

Hello?
It's Suzaki.
About Asakura Tetsuya. I have tried to call the church several times since we last talked...
Were you able to get in touch?
Yes, in the end. But he's using a fake name: Kurata Jacob Tetsuya.
Jacob?
It's his baptismal name. As a Catholic, he puts his baptismal name before his real name. He said he's always in the church until the evening and that he will help us out.

Well, that's good. Hopefully we can learn something useful from him!

Then we are going to head there right now. Thank you, Suzaki-san!
That's ok. I also had to talk to him for a bit because I've broken my promise not to tell anyone.
Oh, right, one more thing! Please give Kizaki-kun my congratulations! The book is now officialy going into publication! See you later.

*click*

Yuuji, I have some good news! Your book is going to get published!
Wait, really?
Suzaki-san just told me to let you know.
YES! ... Oh, sorry. It's not the time to celebrate right now. Anyway, where are we heading?
Hanno, Saitama Prefecture, St. Paul's Church.
Roger that!
(Yuuji is really starting to sound more and more like Sakamoto-kun...)

In any case, after about 2 hours of driving, the pair arrives at said church...

You can ask me anything.
This is a very old building, isn't it?

Yes, but they are planning to close down this church and open a new one in Saitama.
Will you be moving there?
No, I haven't decided yet.

Do priests go into retirement?
As a servant of god, I can never retire. But, if I don't have a church, I can't perform my work as a priest.
You wrote "The King of Darkness", right?
That's right.
I understand that everything which is in that novel did actually happen, right?
Is that what Suzaki-san told you?
Yes.

A misunderstanding?
Yes. Everyting I told Suzaki-san was a lie.
A lie?
Yes, a lie. For a long time I had been dreaming about becoming a novelist. I took this novel to many publishers, but they all rejected it. But no matter what, I couldn't give up.

And somehow, we have a "check" to do here. There are actually getting quite few and far between, it seems.

Clothes: When he talks dressed like this as a priest, I almost seem to believe everything he says.

Head: I thought he would be a short person, but actually he's quite tall.

Eyes: He does not seem to be agitated. Is he telling the truth?

Mouth: Calm and pleasant voice. He speaks very convincingly.

Asakura: The story is a lie? No, I can't believe that all of a sudden.

They sound interesting, but actually none of them have any extra dialogue, so we just move on!

So it got me thinking... Maybe they would be more interested in publishing it if I told them it's a true story?
And Asakura Ryou?
There is no such person.
But, isn't he your son?
Oh, I completely forgot that I'd said that. I'm a Catholic priest, therefore I'm not married. Of course, I don't have a son. Asakura Ryou is simply the main character of my novel.
But, that's... absurd.
I still regret having lied like that. As a servant of god, I am ashamed.

And very quickly again, we get another "check"!

Clothes: The person who wrote that novel is a priest? Is this some kind of a bad joke?

Asakura: Did Kitamura-san and the boss really make such a mistake? I don't think so.

Crucifix: The crucifix on his chest is pure white. Is it really ok for a priest to tell a lie?

This is all starting to seem a bit fishy, but let's go with option 3 here.

As a priest, are you really allowed to tell a lie?

I am ashamed. At that time I really wasn't thinking clearly. Please forgive me. I put everyhing I had into that book. After it was published I made my repentance to the god.
So everything in that book is a lie?
It's just a novel.
But, Suzaki-san says that in the beginning he didn't think it was a true story. It was only after the book was published that you told him that it was...

I have no reason to hide anything now. I'm sorry this didn't turn out the way you expected.
I see.
I'm sorry you had to come all this way...

"I am the vine, you are the branches..." That's the Gospel of Matthew, right.
I see you know it well. Yes it is, it's Matthew.
Then I will excuse myself now.

And she leaves. Also, you might recall that this quote was mentioned previously in this game, but it's been quite a long time, though--it was in the second chapter!

Back in the car...

He seems a bit odd, that priest.
Eh? How?
The thing about the vine.
What do you mean?

"I am the vine, you are the branches."
You know the Bible? Are you Christian?
No. But, you know, there seem to be a lot of priests around me.
The bar owner?
Sawada-san's father too.
Oh, I see.
So I just picked it up naturally. Before, I said it's the Gospel of Matthew, right?
Yes, he said you know it well.
But that's not right. It's the Gospel of John.

Eh? Really?
And yet, he didn't correct me. He just agreed that it's Matthew.
But what does that mean?
Well, it's odd. Let's go and talk again to Suzaki-san.

A couple of hours later, at Suzaki's office...

Just calm down.
That's bullshit. Asakura Tetsuya told me this directly when the book was being published! Even though it was ten years ago, I remember it well! I still cannot forget how surprised I was when I first read the manuscript he brough.

We definitely have a "check" here.

Eyebrow: They eyebrow which rises when he lies is now completely still.

Suzaki: His usual cool attitude is noticeably absent this time.

Face: Confusion from having been betrayed by a writer he trusted is obvious.

Let's check the eyebrow, because why not!

It's not moving. You're telling the truth, aren't you?
Uh, what's not moving?
Never mind. I understand. I believe you. So I've been thinking... there are two possibilities here. One is that the priest has had a change of heart and for some reason he had changed his mind and decided to lie about it.
I gues that's possible. And what's the other option?

That this is not the same man.
Meaning?
The person whom I met was not Asakura Tetsuya. Someone was impersonating him in order to deceive us.
But, how is that possible? Because I've spoken to the person in question.

Somehow, we have another "check" here. The options are the same as before, except for one newly added (and if you keep checking the eyebrow, you can get yourself into a nice dialogue loop).

Head: He's taller than I thought, but still not as tall as that priest.

Obviously, this is what we'll pick.

Suzaki-san, how tall are you?
Why are you asking me that all of a sudden?
Never mind, just answer.
I guess about 180cm?
He was taller than you. So, more than 185cm?
What are you talking about?
Asakura Tetsuya, how tall?
Oh no, he was small, barely even 170cm.
But you see, the priest I met was over 180cm. So definitely not the same person then. Oh, right, Suzaki-san. Do you have any photos of Asakura Tetsuya?
Wait a second.

He goes to get it, and then...

Well, that's definitely not the same guy. But then who did we meet with?

Is this Asakura Tetsuya?
Yes. This was taken by his common law wife.
Well, that's not the guy.
I knew it! But then, who the hell...
That's what I need to find out. Do you mind if I keep this photograph?
Please take it.
Wait, what kind of flowers are those behind him on the picture?
Oh, that's tiger's claw.
Tiger's claw?
The official flower of Okinawa prefecture.
Okinawa, huh?

It seems that everything points to Okinawa lately. We may yet get our island episode in this game! Also, here is what the flower in question looks like:

Outside, Ririko and Yuuji discuss the situation...

I have no idea.
That guy is insisting that "The King of Darkness" is fiction.
I'm sure he was just trying to make us believe it.
Is he working for Asakura Ryou?
Well, I don't think he's unrelated, for sure.
Shall we go back to the church and check it out?
Doubt there's any use now. If he's an impostor, he's not going to hang about forever.
I guess you're right.

As they're walking...

...Ririko gets a call on her mobile phone.

Takeuchi.
Aah, Ririko-san!
What is going on! Why are you so flustered?
It's bad! I've just discovered something bad!
Please calm down. Where are you?
Limelight.
And Asuka?
She went out for that job interview at the bar. That's not what I'm talking about.

It's a bug! We found a listening device!
Where?
Right here, under the bar counter.
I see. I'll be right back.
Roger that!

A short time after, at Limelight...

Sakamoto-kun, please calm down and explain once again properly.

I had some free time, so I was working on my receiver. When I tuned the frequency, suddenly I got a response. I found that the signal is coming from this office... and there was the listening device taped to the bottom of the counter. Here it is!

Considering that this is the second time this is happening to them, maybe they really need to be a bit more careful!

All right, relax, Sakamoto-kun. I understand.
I beg your pardon!

But this looks familiar...
I think so too. Hold on a second...

Look!
Is this the...
Yes, the listening device which was planted before by detective Mizutani.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you who that jerk was, coming into the office as he pleases and threatening Ririko.

What is he trying to do now... How long ago was this planted here?
Judging by the low condition of the battery, probably two days ago. No, not "probably", definitely!
Did he sneak in in the middle of the night?
What a jerk!
It's pointless to even bother thinking about him. He'll do anything for whoever pays him anyway. So the real question is, who paid him to do this.

I heard that he got fired...
So is he like a freelancer now, or...?
Well, that's the question.

Oh, wait, after leaving our agency, Kimura works now for A1, right?
That's right... you mentioned it before.
I'll give him a call.

Kimura is the guy who left Ririko's agency after the disappearance of her father and went over to work for A1.

Ririko gives him a call. Since there is no picture of Kimura anywhere in the game, he's going to have to be represented with a question mark.

Sorry to keep you waiting. This is Kimura.
It's been a while. This is Ririko.
Ah, Ririko-san. It has been a while. How did you find me here?
Mizutani-san mentioned you. I heard that you told him a lot of things about our agency.
Ah, no, Ririko-san... this is a misunderstanding. You see, Mizutani was my boss at the time, so I couldn't not answer when he would ask me.

It doesn't really matter. I just need Mizutani-san's address.
Mitzutani has left the company. Also, I can't give out personal information.
Are you actually serious now? He trespassed, broke into my office and put a listening device. I don't care that it's personal information.
Give me a break, ok?
Kimura-san. I hate to have to remind you of this, but didn't the boss pay off your gambling debts? You think that goes away just because you left the company? I still have your IOU.
No, I haven't forgotten. Sorry.
You have a chance to clear the debt. But you have to give me Mizutani's address... and also his mobile phone number.
I understand. I will email it to you.
I will be waiting for it.

*click*

I didn't realise Kimura-san wrote an IOU.
The boss burned it a long time ago.

Well then, let's deal with Mizutani, hopefully once and for all, because he's been a thorn in our side for a while now (well, apart from all the other thorns we've accumulated in the last three chapters!).

So we'll head over to Mizutani's house. Actually, this reminds me of something. Do you remember back when the game was pretending to give us a choice by letting us choose destinations via the GPS menu? Yeah, that got abandoned real fast in favour of 100% linear storytelling.

Anyway, as I was saying, Mizutani's house...

(Mizutani's house was an old-fashioned style terraced house the likes of which were popular for sale a long time ago. We set up the GPS on his car and waited in stakeout a small distance away.)

How's the GPS?
Working perfectly.
Well, let's wait patiently. I'm curious to find out where he will take us.

He's going somewhere.
Let's follow him.

(In addition to Mizutani's car, there was another black luxury car there. Yuuji was looking at the house through the camera's telephoto lens.)
It's a big house...
I can see the nameplate... "Yazaki Kengo"!
Let me see!

Aha!

Well, that's interesting. There's our priest.
Priest?
Yes. The one we met in Hanno.

So it was a fake one. But who the hell is he?
Exactly. But we'll have to ask Mizutani to answer that, won't we.
Should we wait for him here?
That's not necessary. We have his address. Let's just go, anyway I have something I need to prepare first.
All right, gotcha.

But, on the way, Ririko stops the car and they get out to have a chat.

Listen, Yuuji. I need a favour from you.
What is it? You sound mysterious.
Can you promise that you won't tell anyone?
Sure.
Can you promise that you won't say no?
I can't promise that.

Well, either way. You know there was a safe we in boss's office, right?
Yes.
You can open it, right Yuuji?
What are you talking about, all of a sudden?
Sorry, I know. The boss told me about it.

Don't worry, it's fine. I don't care to hide my previous criminal record. I can't make excuses for it.
Sorry, Yuuji.
Don't worry. It's no secret that I was a thief. I am forever grateful to the boss, though. Sometimes I get really scared. If the boss hadn't taken me in, I would have probably still been a thief.

I need your help. You can open a dial-style safe, right?
I guess. But what is inside?
Tokarev.
Tokarev!
It was seized long ago. The boss took it while he was working on a case.

Tokarev, or TT-30 is a Soviet semi-automatic pistol. It was produced up until the 1950 so I guess any surviving example would be fairly old at this point.

But that's illegal!
It is illegal. He must have lost his mind temporarily. He said he hoped the day will not come when he would need to use a gun.
That's unlike him. To resort to guns... he hated violence.
He did. But maybe he thought there will come a situation where reasoning would simply not be possible. He said he would use it only in case of emergency. But isn't it weird? He said that, but he never gave me the combination to the safe.
Do you think we're really going to need it?
I think we might. I'd do anything to protect you and Asuka and everybody else.

All right, I will do it. I'll open the safe.
Bring it over to Limelight. I'll send Mayumi home first.
All right.

Later, back at Limelight, Ririko makes a phone call to Shingi.

I'm sorry, but I have to rely on your help again.
What is it?
Do you remember that annoying guy, Mizutani?
Yeah, I remember.
There is some information I need to get out of him.
And my part in that would be...?
I want you to stand by my side and look threatening.
To look threatening...?

Look, why don't you just leave the whole thing to me? That kind of guy is not really going to talk without resorting to some violence.
You don't sound like a lawyer, you know?
If the other party doesn't sue then there's no case, how's that?
Thank you for your legal advice! Well, I guess I'll take it as a yes, then?
Aren't you a smart young lady, huh?
But, please. You must promise not to kill him.
Haha. I'm not going to kill him. He's just going to be very very scared. Anyway, I can be ready in an hour. Where should I go?
To Mizutani's house. I'll send you the address.
All right, later.

*click*

Yuuji appears...

But, what?
The gun is not there.
For real?
It's true.

We have a "check" here!

Eyes: A pair of clear eyes are looking directly at me.

Yuuji: Probably what a thief says can't be trusted.

So yeah, we can here choose either to trust Yuuji or to accuse them of stealing the gun! Needless to say, the second option goes straight into a bad end, so we choose the first in order to continue the story!

All right, I see. But, who?
The most natural possibility is that the boss had taken it out. Surely he knew, how dangerous it would be to go after Asakura Ryou.
I guess.
But it's good.
Why?
I don't really want to see a gun.

As usual, the conversation is interrupted by Ririko getting a call on her mobile phone.

Ah, it's Asuka calling. Hello?
It went well. The bar owner lady liked me. She hired me immediately to start working.
I knew it would go well!
I work here until 3 AM. Then I'll get the early train home.
All right, good. How's Sakamoto-kun doing?
He's enjoying himself. He's taken quite a liking to this bar. He's been belting out "The Hills of a Foreign Country".

Oh, no! Not again! Also, you probably don't remember, but this song was actually a subject of one of Kindaichi's newspaper articles. It's a WW2 song, popular among Japanese soldiers detained in Siberia, and subsequently used in a 1949 film of the same name.

He is? Oh, um... well, good.

*click*

Asuka seems to have slipped in nicely. Well, let's head out.
To where?
Mizutani's house.

Some time later...

Ririko rings the bell...

Who is it at this hour?
Takeuchi.
Takeuchi? What do you want at this time of day?
To talk.
I have nothing to say.
But I do.
I WILL CALL THE POLICE!
Please do.
Ugh, all right.

What do you want to talk about.
Tell me everything you know.
Are you sure this is not some kind of a misunderstanding?

You forgot something at my place.
No idea what you're on about. How about some proof?
Should I dust it for fingerprints?
I told you I don't know anything!
You've been visiting regularly Yazaki Kengo, the representative, haven't you?
Have you never heard of client confidentiality. You should know it, you're in the same business as me.
Don't put the two of us together. But fine. If you don't want to talk about it, I'll pay you.
It's not a matter of money. It's a matter of trust.
Don't make me laugh, saying stuff like that. By the way, do you have a family?
What do you mean?
Married?
Now you want to discuss my personal life?
What about your wife?
Divorced.
Children?
Too much trouble, not having any.
Good. So there will be nobody to mourn you.
You're so funny. Are you trying to scare me?
I'm not trying to scare you.

Suddenly, a car appears with bright headlights...

All right, Suzuki-san. I leave it to you from here.

Well, that's all for today. Next time, the final part of chapter five! It looks like finally the things are moving again in our story, and I did enjoy Ririko going all ganster on Mizutani there at the end. I guess it helps when you have the logistical support of a friendly neighbourhood yakuza...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Ririko's just downright tired of being a reckless idiot, huh? It's kind of worrisome how okay she is with illegal methods but also I can't say I'm not enjoying her new careful if violent self.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
A note on the Tokarev -- while the Soviets stopped making it in the 50s, the Chinese and the North Koreans have continued to produce copies of the pistol. (They're also still manufactured in Pakistan.) So the boss' Tokarev might not be quite so old.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Yuuji: Probably what a thief says can't be trusted.

Why even have this option it makes no narrative sense. Yuuji has been a trusted associate both for Ririko and for her father.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a much better friend than she ever deserved.

however, we now have an honest to god chekhov's gun in play.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah that part is so dumb, I wonder if the devs decided there hasn't been enough bad end/game overs in this part and ram it in there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Taberquol posted:

Like it doesn't suck, but it's baffling.

I'm glad Asuka lives.

this is a good way to put it, yeah

what even just happened that last update???

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I love how the boss cleared an employee's debts in a way that let him keep his pride and Ririko, just, like, exploits that

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
"done loving around" ririko is growing on me

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

tomanton posted:

I love how the boss cleared an employee's debts in a way that let him keep his pride and Ririko, just, like, exploits that

"I can't give out his info to you, but I am totally fine spilling your info to him!"

That guy totes deserved it.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Last time, we left off after Ririko decided to let Shingi rough up a bit that idiot Mizutani who again left a listening device in our office. Somehow he seems to also be involved in this whole complicated plot which so far we don't seem to be able to figure neither heads nor tails of.

In any case, after leaving Mizutani to Shingi, Ririko and Yuuji are back in the car...

Ririko, aren't you getting a bit rash?
Hm?

Look, Mizutani is the lowest of the low, but... this is not the way we do things.
You mean leaving him with Shingi?
Right.
Sure, but... this time is really bad. Kitamura-san and the boss were killed by Asakura Ryou. He even tried to kill me once, too. Ishihara and Shimabukuro were apprehended, but if he gets the go-ahead, Goto Masayuki will make his move.

Well, I don't think he'll do it himself, but there are plenty of people he can pay to do it... A life doesn't cost much these days.
True... if they want to get rid of us, they're certainly capable of it.
But I'm still alive. So the go-ahead has not been given.
Why do you think that is?

Maybe we don't know it yet. Whatever it is they don't want us to know.
You mean we're still overlooking something?

Hm? What is it?
Have you read the book?
Yes, I have read it.

Ririko! Who are you talking to?

Oh, no, it's nothing.
You are tired, aren't you?

Shouldn't you go home and get some sleep?

Hmm, actually where IS home these days? I don't think anything was said about where exactly Ririko is living now, after the kindergarten was burned down!

Thanks, but... I forgot something, I have to go back to Limelight.
You should really go home.
Don't worry. I will go.

Back at Limelight, Ririko decides to look through the book once again...

(It sends chills down my spine to think that everything I read here is actually true. I now know why Asakura Ryou killed Kawabata Yuusuke. In the novel the character is named Kawamura, but it was easily to figure out that it stands in for Kawabata.)
(One day, on the street of Naha, Okinawa, Kawabata Yuusuku stopped Asakura Ryou; it was because Asakura was smoking a cigarette. Kawabata took his cigarette and patted Asakura on the head, saying: "If you start smoking at this young age, you'll never grow taller.")
(That's it, that was the reason. Feeling humiliated, Asakura followed Kawabata and made note of the address of his house. However, it ended up that the next day Kawabata family moved to Tokyo. Asakura robbed a convenience store in order to gather some cash, and followed the Kawabatas to Tokyo.)

(Upon arriving at Tokyo, Asakura met a man named Ishida at the game arcade. This is Ishihara Taichi's stand-in.)

(He then hired a female high school student to seduce Kawabata. This was Saeki Chiharu.)

(When the Chiharu plan failed, Asakura decided to set fire to his house instead. Originally, the fire was supposed to be just a diversion. It was around that time that Asakura started indulging in the game of shooting at motorcycles. "I never really thought about the value of life," he said, "I was hungry for violence. I wanted to test my strength." That was usually his reason for doing things.)
(Was my father really killed by this kind of a person? Just that thought made me burn with emotion. But no. No. Now is not the time for that.)

(After returning to Okinawa, Asakura started to hang around the bars in Koza. He worked at a bar for American soldiers and learned English along the way. The bar was called, "Laurel".)
(Six months after he started working in a bar, Asakura killed two American soldiers. One was drunk and made to look like an acute alcohol poisoning. The other was overdosed with drugs. According to the book, it is at this time that Asakura discovered his talent.)
(If the murder of the American soldiers had been publicised, it would have cause quite a mess. But as an accident, it was a different story--the military was only too eager to cover it up. The dirty laundry would not be aired out. Asakura understood this, and started using a variety of means to kill more soldiers.)

(Accidental discharge of a gun... Brake failure... Two men killed at the same time in what looked like a fight... Why did he do it? "I can't even remember why," he said.)
(But, Asakura Ryou was not just an ordinary murderer. He is described as a man who could really control his own emotions.)
(Meanwhile, he began to buy and sell drugs through his own channels. All kinds of drugs travelled through his hands over to the gangs on the mainland. For a while, the business was good.)
(However, as the volume of his drug trade and the amount of money began to rise, the situation changed. Asakura ended up in the middle of a drug war between the gangs and was shot in the right leg. It was a serious wound, but as the book says, "he was lucky to have survived.")
(But, Asakura was not in a hurry to get his revenge. He simply decided to wait until the war between the two gangs had died down.)

(And thus, three years later, he used explosives to blow up the offices of a rival gang. A total of eight people were killed including the gang leader and several senior members. Losing its unifying force, the gang eventually fell apart.)
(The Asakura Ryou from the novel here makes a statement that "everything is stupid". He was 30 years old at this point. With the leftover money, he bought a boat and became a fisherman on a remote island. He read the bible and repented for his sins.)
(What a ridiculous development! It as this point that the story in the book starts to sound untrue. The final scene, where he goes to the church to repent is very moving. But it doesn't make any sense. Why would a man who made a deal with the devil suddenly start praying to the god?)
(I don't really get it. What am I missing? Which of these things is Asakura Ryou trying to hide? The US soldiers? The drug trade? The gang war?)
(If this is all true, then what does that mean? It's not that there are no clues to be found... it's that there are too many to understand them properly!)

Wow. Holy info-dump, Batman! Admittedly, this is not the worst I've seen, but still, perhaps this could have been distributed a bit better over the course of this chapter somehow? In any case, luckily for us, Ririko's phone rings and diverts her attention away from the book, at least for the time being. It's Shingi calling.

Are you asleep?
As if.
Can you come over? I just returned to the office.
I'm coming!

Shortly after...

You didn't kill him, right?

I hope so.
No, really.
So how did you make him cough up the stuff?
An old schemer like Mizutani is not going to talk unless you pressure him psychologically. My associates did a good job: they stripped him naked in a dark warehouse. When you do a thing like that to a person, you strip them of their self esteem. And then I played him through the headphones at a high volume...
Stop. That's enough.

But you seem quite used to doing this sort of thing, no?
That's why I was telling you from the beginning to leave this to me.
But...
I'm not really sure what you were expecting... Violence exists in this world. It's not necessarily law or reason that always governs people. Sometimes it's the violence. If you can't admit even that, then maybe you should stop being a detective.
Well... perhaps my thinking was a little bit naive.
Do you want to hear the rest of the story about how I got him to talk?
Not really. So, then...
He coughed it all up. Apparently he was hired by a secretary named Tanaka Hideaki. He was investigating people related to Takeuchi Detective Agency. Also, me.
But for what reason?
Well, let me tell you properly. So anyway, he freaked out a little, because apparently that Tanaka Shuumei guy is a bit dangerous. Do you know him? He's always driving a black luxury car.

Yes... Shuumei was that priest. They seem to have quite an elaborate thing going on here.

Let me tell you from the beginning. It seems that Yazaki Kengo and Asakura Ryou have some kind of a relationship. Political contributions and such. Quite a lot of money is moving around.

But Yazaki Kengo is like the face of the whole thing. In reality it's Tanaka Shuumei who is manipulating everything behind the scenes.

Asakura and Shuumei are in charge of money.

But, one day a detective appeared and started asking about a slush fund.
My father, right?

Yes. This is the first time Shuumei found out--about the book and Asakura Ryou's father. And so he asked Asakura where his father was. But Asakaura didn't know... well, he did know, but he was not telling.
Why?

Of course, if he told them, they would have killed his father. Shuumei and others. So instead, Asakura killed Kitamura-san and the boss, using his own personal goons.
Ishihara and Shimabukuro?

That's right. And then you helped them out by finding Asakura Tetsuya. So in a way, you saved Shuumei the work of searching for him.

And they got rid of him?
Yes. But they didn't want Asakura Ryou to know that.
Well, of course, because it was his father.
There are many people around Shuumei who are loyal to Asakura. Goto Masayuki is one of them.

They couldn't move too fast. If they kidnapped you in the church, Asakura Ryou would have found out about everything and gone crazy. Also, I would have too. By the way, Shuumei knows you've been contacting the police.
But, how does Mizutani know so much about all of this?

He's totally corrupt. He will take any kind of advantage he can in order to get a deal. That's his usual M.O., but this time he regrets doing it. If they find out he was listening, they will kill him. And he knows it.
But, why did Tanaka Shuumei even hire Mizutani in the first place?
He didn't. Mizutani came to him. He just sniffs out possible jobs and takes advantage of them. Around that time, he was focusing on Kusanagi Manabu, your husband.

Kusanagi?
That Yazaki guy is a bit of a player. So Kusanagi was hired by his wife. That's when Mizutani interfered with the whole thing--he took credit for Kusanagi's work.
That's a bit of an odd story. Kusanagi is not the kind of person who would sit back and let somebody steal his work.
Mizutani also thought it was a bit strange that Kusanagi backed down so easily, but now he thinks he know what might have happened.
Did Kusanagi find out about Shuumei and Asakura's crimes?
I don't know quite that far. By the time Mizutani realised, your husband was gone, he says. Mizutani also ended up getting quite a bit of hush money for that, and also Yazaki's wife was persuaded not to go public with the whole thing.
At last I have some kind of idea what is happening. But, there is one last thing. Who was it that Shuumei asked to get rid of Asakura Tetsuya?
Oh, right, it was Goto Masayuki.
But didn't you just say that Goto was loyal to Asakura?
I guess he was persuaded by money.
I'm not really sure what to say to that.
Well, it's a pretty ugly story, anyway.
And finally, what happened to Mizutani?
I dumped him in the right place.
Is he all right? Won't he talk?

But, I'm more worried about you. Shuumei is definitely going to try something. For the time being don't go anywhere on your own. If possible don't go back home either.

Again, where exactly is home for Ririko right now?

Stay in a hotel. If you need money, I will lend you some.
Thank you. I will do that from tonight. I'm fine for the money. By the way, Suzuki-san, really, thank you. You had no reason to do all this for me.
Stop it with "Suzuki-san", already. I do have a reason. Your father helped me out once.
Yes, you told me.
Then don't make me repeat it.

Uh, so, you thought the first infodump was bad, right? Then how about this one? Like, would it not have been better for Ririko and the gang to actually figure all of this out somehow on their own? Instead of just being told the whole story like this?

Well, I guess this is home then? She must have gotten an apartment for rental or something while we weren't looking?

In any case...

Sorry, did I wake you?
It's ok, I couldn't sleep anyway. You haven't really slept either, right?
I slept on the train.
Did you find out anything?
Yeah, sure.
Tell me.

Then whose?
Yazaki Kengo.
Wait, really? Then why is she living together with Ishihara?
It seems, under Yazaki's orders. To stop his wife from being suspicious. Oh, and also. Yazaki and Keiko have a child together.
A child?

A boy named Atsushi. He's just 3 years old.
Who's taking care of him?
Yazaki's father took him in.
Yazaki Animal Hospital! So that's why he was so nervous!
Well, it is kind of a scandal, right?

Kusanagi Manabu.
Right! So detective Kusanagi found out about the scandal. The whole thing about Keiko and Yazaki's relationship. That's why the whole thing with Ishihara.
I see. That's true, Kusanagi told me that he was investigating Yazaki. But this is amazing, Asuka. How did you get all this out of her?
I just talked to her about my own personal situation in life. It was a standard story, like from an old TV drama, I just embellished a bit. I told her that my parents would not give me food as a young girl. When I was in school I weighed 35 kg, I looked like a boy. Also they wouldn't buy me any new clothes so I had to wear same ones over and over, and so on.

A quick "check" here before we proceed...

Right wrist: I can hear the bracelets clattering. She is shaking.

Face: She is talking in a carefree manner. But is she just putting on a happy face?

There's no big difference here, so let's choose the second option.

I'm sorry, Asuka. That story is not really embellished, is it?
No, I guess not. It's mostly true.

It's ok. I mean, I was going to lie about it, but in the end, I'm a honest person, so I ended up telling the truth.
Didn't you lie before, in order to get closer to Suzaki?
I thought this was the strategy of the "breakup shop", but I could not pull off such an intricate ruse. You can't win someone's heart if you're not honest with them. Suzaki is good at his job, so he saw immediately that I have no talent for fiction. Before I knew it, I was telling the truth. I guess that's why Keiko also believed me. People in the bar business can be perceptive. If you tell a clumsy lie, they will find out sooner or later.
Thank you, Asuka. Sorry for putting you in danger and also for making you remember your painful past.
Don't worry about it. I'm the one who forced you to hire me, anyway.
However...

Anyway, how about you? What's up?
Hm?
You've made some progress, right? Tell me!
Yeah... but I want to be a bit more sure first.
Come on, tell me! I won't be able to sleep otherwise! Or are you hiding something?
Nothing like that. I'm just still a bit confused myself. If I talk about it now, I'm just going to confuse you too.
I doubt it... but, sure, ok for now.

What's wrong? You don't seem too happy.
No, it's nothing.
Was this helpful?
Of course.
I heard that Yazaki often shows his face there. So I'm going to stay working there for a little while, ok?
If you ever feel danger, just run away, ok?
Leave it to me. I will take care of it.
Just please don't get yourself into trouble. Just run if it gets dangerous, please.
You worry too much.
If that's what you want to call it.

A bit later...

And with that subtle transition, Ririko and Yuuji are back on the road!

Can I talk to you about something?
Ah, sorry, I was lost in thought.
Why do you think Kusanagi-san disappeared?
I have no idea.
Do you think he got fed up of Mizutani taking credit for his work?

That... doesn't sound like it's even close to the real reason.

No way.
Did he know about Asakura Ryo and Tanaka Shuumei?
Could be?
You don't seem to like the topic of Kusanagi-san, huh?
Because I think it wasn't fair that he didn't say anything to me.
Is that so? It seems to me that there's more to it than that.
All right, fine. Let's not talk about that.

(Did Kusanagi also not say anything out of concern for me? Was that his thinking? But no, this is useless. There's no point in speculating now on what his thinking was. We'll just have to take care of it one thing at a time. That's the only way.)

And with all that thinking going on, before we know it, we have already arrived back at the animal hospital!

Have you been drinking again?
None of your business!
Your grandson's name is Atsushi, right?
Who told you that?
I can't tell you.

How much do you want?
What are you talking about?
Don't play dumb! You are going to tell the tabloids, right?
I'm not going to tell anyone. Gossip is not my kind of thing.
Then why are we talking about this? I guess that woman must have told you. Anyway, I'm not letting you have Atsushi.
I'm not trying to take away your grandson.
Then what do you want?
Tell me about Yazaki Kengo.

I don't want to talk about him. Have you seen what he's like? He has women everywhere and just does what he wants. He wasn't like that before. And now he's getting all excited about this casino.

I would have thought that a politician who "has women everywhere" wouldn't have gone unnoticed by the press, but what do I know, right?

Casino?

I don't know if he's on some Republican Party action committe, but he's been running around raising money. It's all the fault of that man. His secretary, Tanaka Hideaki. Ever since that guy showed up, Kengo has been behaving crazy. That guy is a total crook, but has the nerve to keep harping on about decency!

It's time for our next "check" for today.

Clothes: Stubble and a wrinkled lab coat. What made him become like this?

Shoulder: When talking about his grandson he starts to shake and breathe heavily.

Eyes: His eyebrows and nose are getting all wrinkled. He really hates Tanaka, doesn't he?

We'll go with option three this time!

I'm here to talk about this Tanaka. He may have something to do with a murder that I'm investigating.
Aren't you surprised? You know, that there's a murder?
I have no idea what all is that guy doing behind the scenes. But at this point nothing about him surprises me any more.
Tanaka Shuumei is a friend of Kengo's back from his university days. They weren't really close back then, but when Kengo became a representative, suddenly he was always around. And after he became Kengo's secretary, Kengo just went crazy. I think he must have something on him. He basically betrayed his supporters and is just doing what that man tells him. That's why I declared I'm cutting off our relationship.
I see. I'm sorry, I've approached you in a rude way.
Don't worry about it. I've had a bit to drink. But, what is your name?
Takeuchi. Takeuchi Ririko.
I see. Well, let me give you a piece of advice. The other day you were asking about Asakura Ryou, right? Well, he's just as despicable as Tanaka.
Have you met him?

Yeah he came by here once. Kengo brought him along because he said he liked animals. Oh, it makes me so angry I don't even want to think about it!
What happened?

No, I don't know.
That guy gave them the relaxant while I wasn't looking.
To a dog?
Dogs, and cats. Six dogs, four cats. All of them... He's...

I will be very careful. Sorry that I've bothered you.

Well, that's it for here. As you can see, since we're at the end of the chapter, everybody is starting to spill everything they know to Ririko.

Back in the car with Yuuji...

Did you know about this casino business on Okinawa?
I might have read about it in the papers. It's not a done deal yet, but the Republicans are pushing it.
Can you find out more details on the net, please?
I can do it when we get back to Limelight. Are we going back?

No, wait, I have to stop somewhere quickly.
Where?
Kitamura-san's house. I want to return the book, I've borrowed another copy from Suzaki-san. I will be quick, you can wait in the car.
Ok.

And so, a bit later at the Kitamura residence...

I came to return the book I borrowed from you. Thank you very much.

Yes, it did. Oh, but there was something I wanted to ask you...
What is it?
It seems this book's author used to live on Okinawa. Did Kitamura-san mention anything about that?
Oh, right. My husband said something about the smuggling.
Smuggling?
Actually, my husband was born in Naha. Do you know the story about the casino?
Yes, I've heard.

I believe he said... when the casino is built, the island will be prosperous for a while. But then the bad people will come and the bad things will start to happen--all kinds of things.
All kinds of things?
Smuggling, drug trade... my husband was quite worried about all that.
But, wasn't he just making a generalisation?
When I think about it now... I don't think he was. He wasn't one to waste time talking about things he couldn't do anything about. So it must have been connected to what he was investigating.
Did he tell you anything else?
I'm not really sure... I don't remember.
That's ok. Thank you very much.
Sorry I can't help you any more.
No, don't worry about that. Thank you.

But, Ririko-san. Can I tell you something strange?
Uh, yes?

Well, she still looks very worried.
What do you mean?
I can see it. Since I was born. I wonder if you believe me.

I believe you. I can see her too.
Oh, good.

What. Why would you introduce such random nonsense so close to the end? To be honest, I have to say I really don't even get the point of introducing that ghost into the story. I mean, it's not like she's actually ever helped us in any way (well other than saving Ririko from fire that one time I guess) and she seems to be there just to make the whole thing mysterious, but in reality doesn't actually add much of anything to the story. And now, randomly, Chieko can also see ghosts. But apparently she can see them all the time, and Ririko can't? I mean, would it be too much to ask for the story to be consistent with itself? Luckily, this really is just a random thing with no meaning one way or the other and which will never be mentioned again.

That girl is trying very hard to protect you, so I'm sure you will be fine.
Fine?
She'll protect you. Sorry, my husband always used to get annoyed with me about this. He would tell me to stop talking nonsense. He was so stubborn, never believed any of it. I miss him. He's not here anymore even to get annoyed at me...

Well, that definitely didn't go in an expected direction. But, let's head back to Limelight...

...because Ririko has some more reading to do!

(Reading "The King of Darkness" reveals the true nature of Asakura Ryou. He has no sense of guilt. He does not appreciate the value of life.)

(For a betrayer, there awaits a bloody punishment. Ryou ties a man to a pillar in the factory. He forces an iron bar through his suit and tied him to a post. With both hands stretched out, the man looks like scarecrow.)
(While licking his thirsty lips, he says, "You're Judas!" He removes the safety from his Glock 17 and glares at the man. The Scarecrow's face looks up.)
(Not listening to Ryou, the man says, "If you're going to kill me, do it quickly!" Ryou responds with a sneer, "If you answer the question correctly, I will help you!")
(The scarecrow spits at him, "You're going to kill me in any case." "Do you believe in God?", Ryou asks, fiddling with the Glock 17 on his finger. "You better think about what you're going to answer. After all, you don't want to die, do you?" The Scarecrow turns away and ignores Ryou's words.)

("Did you not hear me? Shall I ask you again? Do you believe in God?" "This is absurd," the Scarecrow replies. The gunshot sound from a Glock 17 echoes through the cellar.)
("I went through the effort of giving you a chance. If you're not honest, you don't live long. Those who insult God will eventually go to hell. You could have saved yourself with just a single word: amen. I am the son of a priest. I happen to be a man of merciful heart. What a waste. What a way to waste a life.")
("I will ask you one more time, do you believe in God?" But the corpse is not able to answer.)
("Well, amen to that," and Ryou fires another shot at the dead body.)

Also, the phone is ringing, which interrupts Ririko's reading session once again. Somehow, Mayumi was present during all this, and she shows up to give Ririko some news which she just learned over the phone...(Actually, looking back I realise that I got confused because one of the previous screenshots showed Ririko alone in the bar, reading, but I guess it was just a reused asset.) Anyway, on to Mayumi's news!

Ririko-san!
What is it?

Uh, what? No, that definitely sounds wrong!

What!
I have just heard from Murase-san from the forensics department. Lawyer Suzuki has...

Ah, good old Murase-san whom we've met in the park a few times in an earlier chapter!

Shingi!
Yes!
There has to be a mistake! This is not possible!
Murase-san confirmed that it's Suzuki Shingi!
That... that's not possible. Where?
He was found dead in the office!
All right, I'm going there immediately!
What should I do about Asuka?
Wait with telling her. I will go and check it out first. Yuuji, get the car!

Obviously we'll be heading straight there.

Murase-san!
Takeuchi-san! You can't come in here, this is a crime scene!
Murase-san, is it true? Are you sure it's Suzuki-san?
Unfortunately, yes.
He definitely didn't kill himself! He was murdered!

And the body? Where's the body?
We've already taken it to be examined.
Who found the body?
A door to door magazine salesman. He said that the door was unlocked. He's being interviewed at the station right now.

Wait, is this... Well, if this game was a bit cleverer, one could think this is a reference to the first case in the first Ace Attorney game, but... probably just a coincidence.

I'm sorry, but I can't tell you anything more. Please understand.

Yuuji, it's true. Shingi was murdered. What kind of crazy nonsense is this?
Ririko, pull yourself together!
Ok, ok.
Come on, get in the car.
Ok. Oh, wait, Yuuji. Can you go ahead on your own?
Hm?
I want to go to the police station and talk to them. Yuuji, can you please call Asuka and explain the situation to her?
Are you sure you're going to be ok?
Don't worry. I'll just get a taxi.
All right, then I'm going.

Does this qualify as being too stupid to live? Because to me it sure sounds like it does!

But before she can finish that thought of realisation...

...Ririko suffers a blow to the head...

...and loses her consciousness entirely.

And well, that's the end of this chapter! It sure felt like it was going to go on forever at times, at least to me. I don't know, it just really felt longer than the others for some reason. But now it's time for our long awaited island episode finale of this whole thing, a.k.a. the sixth, and final chapter!

You know, I was thinking, there's definitely some decent writing in this game, but the plot structure is a mess and the crime investigation aspect is almost laughable at times. I think this writer would really benefit from a collaborator who would keep the plot from going off the rails. That was we wouldn't get random elements (such as Chieko also being somehow able to see ghosts, too) which lead to nowhere.

Oh, well. The next chapter is at least shorter and it really is quite a bit more action packed so that should be hopefully fun to see through to the end. And by doing that, we actually unlock this game's extra content: we get to read Yuuji's book, believe it or not. They actually wrote a whole short story and included it in the game as an extra, with beautiful illustrations! So at least there's that to look forward to, if nothing else!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 1, 2021

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

You know, I was thinking, there's definitely some decent writing in this game, but the plot structure is a mess and the crime investigation aspect is almost laughable at times. I think this writer would really benefit from a collaborator who would keep the plot from going off the rails. That was we wouldn't get random elements (such as Chieko also being somehow able to see ghosts, too) which lead to nowhere.

It is aptly fitting that the plot is messy and jumbled like Ririko's investigation skills, at least she doesn't have a mafia boss to fall back on anymore.

As for the ghost, I will take that over Kijimuna Elves anytime :j:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hooo boy, agreed this game really need a couple of editorial passes

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Nthing the editor thing. It also would have helped the game focus on the drama it wants to be about instead of wasting a couple chapters being a half-baked detective game(think more 'thriller that happens to be about a detective'). I do enjoy the characters, but the rest of the game is a mess.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Whew. Long, indeed. I just about threw up my hands when Ririko gets knocked out, she was doing so well before! Comparatively? Here's some proofreading.

~snip~

I'll wipe all this afterwards so that the page isn't so meaninglessly cluttered, I suppose
edit: and done

booksnake fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 1, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have nothing to add that hasn't been said yet, that was a mess. Lots of plot dumps that betray the idea of a mystery game, sudden supernatural elements for some reason, the main character is still an idiot...

At least Asuka is still the best. Also RIP Shingi, who was also great to the very end.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There was a lot better ways to get a the info that isn't it phewing at you.

Really, a lot of the game would make sense if they had ditched trying to do the episodic cases and made a focus of finding out what happened to her missing father the main point from the start and the pieces would've fallen into place more organically.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

help

my scrollwheel

my scrollwheeeeellllll

Seriously I get that they need to make a lot of connections and poo poo Gets Real now but what an inelegant way to do it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The ghost was better when it was Ririko's overworked psyche loving with her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ririko worked hard and rose from being abjectly incompetent to an adequately competent private detective. this does not leave her in any way equipped to handle a dangerous criminal conspiracy and she fucks up at every opportunity.

also, "hmm, i didn't like it when people made decisions for me and kept secrets about important poo poo. oh no, i'm doing the same thing to asuka! ah, i see now that this stupid crap i was subjected to was right all along and will continue to do the same thing to asuka." what the gently caress?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Ugh why did i make so many typos in this update? And how did I not notice them? I'm going to go ahead and blame the keyboard lol.

Ok I've fixed the ones in the text, will fix the images later, thanks.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Oh, that's right. At the end of the last chapter, Ririko got herself knocked out unconscious. Apparently she was kidnapped, it seems.

(It's no good, I can't move.)

Some time later, an image comes into focus.

Greetings! How are you feeling?
...Who are you?
Nice to meet you. I'm Asakura.

Just, it's a shame that his hair is covering his forehead so we can't see that famed tattoo of a dragon! Remember that?

Where are we?
This is my company. Sorry for the rough treatment there. We're in my office. I hope you like it.
What are you planning to do?

For now, I just want talk to you a bit. If you're going to be calm, I will untie you.
You're not going to kill me?
I'm not sure you get it. If I wanted to kill you, I would have done it already. Like with Takeuchi-san and Kitamura-san.
So, you killed them?
Of course. They knew too much.
Why don't you just kill me?
Don't get too excited, all right? I guess you must be tired after the long journey. Hold on, I will approach you to untie you.
If you're going to kill me, then just go ahead and kill me!
I'm not such a bloodthirsty person as they say.
Why didn't you kill me?
You've got it all wrong, Ririko-san. In fact, I saved your life. If I hadn't taken you into custody, you would almost certainly have been killed.
By Tanaka Shuumei?
That's right. It was Tanaka and his people who killed Suzuki Shingi. You would have been next.
How do you know that?

Goto Masayuki is one of my men.
But, Goto was bought by Tanaka. Or, so I've heard?
You've done some good research, huh? But it's not true. He's a double agent. He pretended to betray me in order to gather information. Actually I'm holding Goto's parents; he knows what will happen to them if he betrays me. So he's not going to do it.
Are Ishihara and Shimabukuro also your men?
Of course. They all have parents, siblings, relatives and so on. They won't talk, even if they are sentenced.
It's like the mafia, huh?

Does this guy have like a detention centre somewhere? How would something like this even work? What kind of logistics would you even need to keep in captivity so many people without getting noticed?

People can't really be trusted. Don't you agree?
Let me tell you something right now. I'm not going to be discussing my life story with you.
Oh, don't say things like that, Ririko-san. I like you a lot. I already started liking you while I was investigating you.
Hearing things like that from a person who killed somebody's parent!
It's not like I wanted to kill them, I just didn't have a choice. They both already knew too much, as I've told you. Besides, my father was killed too, by Tanaka Shuumei.
I don't really care.

Let's talk honestly, Ririko-san. It's not good to lie. It's all the same to me, I am not sad that my father is dead, in fact I was even considering getting rid of him myself. But, hiding things is unacceptable, you know. I'm going to let it go this time, because he only killed my father. But, to tell you the truth, once a person starts hiding things, they never can stop any more.
You're... weird. Do you not feel anything about the fact that your father was killed?
No, I don't, Ririko-san. I've already learned my lesson: people betray people. It's amazing how easy it is sometimes. Ever since I was a child, I've seen it more than enough. And I've learned.

By the way, have you read "The King of Darkness"?
I have.
It's quite a masterpiece, isn't it? I had no idea my father had such talent within him.
How was he able to write about it so calmly?
It's a novel... just a made up story.
There are people who don't think it is.

I guess there are. Like your father. I've heard stories about him. I ended up liking him, too. I was jealous of you, I wished he could have been my father.
Who did you hear about him from?
Well, never mind that right now. You'll find out eventually.
Answer me!
Ririko-san, try not to get too agitated. Although... I kind of like it. I like women with strong personality. My mother was not strong.
I don't really feel like listening to your life story right now, though.

Have you ever heard of the longhorn beetle?
Heard what?
The beetle lays its eggs under the bark of cedar trees, dozens of them at a time. When a foreign substance gets into the bark, the cedar produces resin to get rid of it. When the eggs are completely destroyed by the resin, the insect lays another egg. The cedar then produces more resin. But, after a few times, the resin run out. There is a limit to the amount of resin. Then the things finally change. Hundreds of eggs are laid, but only two or three hatch. Strange, isn't it? The insect lays eggs to reduce the amount of resin.

They lay them to kill them. But that's all right, because if they would all hatch, they couldn't all survive. The natural world is well organised; it's a big mistake to think that humans are different.

What are you even talking about? Is this your way of trying to justify your actions to yourself?
I just thought it was an interesting story. I thought you would like it too.

But, fair enough. I've been talking for a while already, so now it's your turn. What do you know, and how much? What about the actions of Tanaka and his people? Please tell me. Even if it's a personal story, I don't mind. I really want to know more about you.
Are you serious? No way. I have nothing to say to you.
I thought you would say that... everybody always seems to.

You're my guest here, so please don't worry. It's not poison, just a drug to make you talk. Well, it can be a little bit strong I guess. Oh, and uh... I'm going to have to blindfold you for this. It just seems to work better that way, somehow.

Can you hear my voice? If you can hear me... please say something. Say... something...

And Ririko slips into a daze, but instead of just blurting out what she knows, she instead starts remembering the events since the beginning of the game.

Don't adjust your TV set. It's supposed to be blurry as hell. It actually looks even worse with text:

I guess we're supposed to be able to read that? Well, I guess let's give it a try. But I'm not going to be editing the images this time, as it would be too much effort to make it look consistent and I'm just about out of patience with this game! Also, you can definitely feel free to skip this whole section, as they are just short random scenes we've seen before, but not chosen with any particular relevance to the current situation, literally just random.

Anyway, here's what Asuka is saying:

Huh, that's unusual. Shingi gave you his personal mobile number. He must really like you a lot.

Human memory is an uncertain thing. It all happened 10 years ago, so they are probably mistaken.

The circumstances point to a suicide. He hanged himself over the balcony.

Kurihara Tetsuya's real name is Asakura Tetsuya.
So, Asakura Ryou's father wrote a novel with his son as the main character?
Something like that.

That girl is trying very hard to protect you, so I'm sure you will be fine.

It's a man's world and is not up to a woman like you to interfere.
Ha, don't make me laugh. What do you mean a man's world. You're just throwing away rubbish and dumping it!

It will be quite dangerous for you to show your face in public. Shouldn't you hide somewhere?
Hiding is not really my kind of thing.
It's not about what kind of thing it is. Just don't do anything rash, please!

I can't tell you.
Tell me, please!
I can't!

You Ririko?
Takeuchi Ririko.
This is so tiresome. Hurry up and ask. It's 10,000 yen for each 15 minutes.

I'm her bodyguard!

You know, it's a shame we never saw more of this guy. He seemed cool.

And here is this quiet room with relaxing music. So I ask you a question, would you like a light trance or a heavy one. Which one would you prefer?

Even though I look like this, I studied mechanical engineering at the university.

So, I asked my husband directly, "are you having an affair"?.
And? What did you husband say?
He said, "no, I'm not".

There's definitely room for improvement, though.
Sorry. I always just keep talking about myself...
You haven't forgotten about our golf date?
Of course not.
How about inviting Kusanagi-kun, too?
Sure, all right.

I don't know what's going on, but don't bring your own standards of right and wrong into this. We're not supposed to be judges, you know.
So we're just supposed to do our jobs without thinking, is that what you mean?
Your "thinking" means ignoring the rules.
I do things my way, all right?
A detective should do things the detective way!

And just as this starts to get very tedious...

Are you all right? Can you wake up? Have some water.

It sure was a loooooong time coming, but here he finally is!

Eh... what? How? Why... why are we here?
I can't explain right now.
What do you mean?
I mean I can't explain right now.

Is this like in Destiny, "I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain"?

You promised you were not going to kill Ririko!
I didn't kill her. But she can never see her friends again.
This is enough. You have to let her go.
This woman knows too much. She can't go back to Tokyo.
What do you intend to do?
Ah, what shall I do... I was thinking to ask her to work for me.
This is enough. She doesn't know that much yet.

I really started to like her after I heard about your story, Kusanagi-kun. It's true, it was so touching, I was really jealous. I've never been loved by anyone like that. Of course, I've also never loved anyone. That's why I was so jealous of you two.

I don't love her. She doesn't love me, either.
That's not true. I don't trust people who easily say, "I love you". They're like animals ready for breeding. But when the mating season has passed, they don't really care any more. But you two are different. You betrayed your father in law who took care of you, just to save this woman.
Stop it! You promised you won't say anything!

Kusanagi-kun, do I need to remind you who you're talking to right now?
Please let Ririko go. I beg you!

Well, I mean, how would this work? Ririko is clearly hell bent on taking revenge for her father, so it's not like she's going to stop if she's let go? Or is he just trying to buy time? But no criminal in their right mind would let her go free at this point.

Kusanagi-kun, really? You're begging me?
Please!

Ahaha, no way. I really like her. If it weren't for you, I would make her my girlfriend. Oh, I know! Shall I make you disappear?
If you let her go, you can take my life!

Again, how does this provide any benefit to Asakura?

Eh, no. I don't think you understand, Kusanagi-kun. I can just simply kill both you and Ririko-san. But that would be boring, so why don't we inject some more of that medication into her?
Give it some time first, I'm worried about her heart...
Oh, that's right, Kusanagi-kun. How are your parents doing, over in Hokkaido. I'm sure they must be doing well. Maybe I should go and bring them the news from you?

poo poo.
Please refrain from using such language. All right, hurry up and give her the injection already!

And back to the blur city we go. Although, this time I would NOT advise skipping, as these memories will be from events which happened BEFORE the start of the game, i.e. things we haven't seen before!

It's about time, isn't it?
What do you mean?
Us. We should get married.
Wait a second! Are you... proposing?
Is that a problem?
Aren't we on a stakeout right now? We're supposed to be watching that guy on the bench!
His adulterous partner is not here yet. He's just reading his book at the moment.
Yeah, but... if you're going to propose, you should do it when we're not working!
I'm just making good use of the time.
You're just going to go to horse races on the weekend, that's why you won't have time.
You should come with. I already asked you several times.
I don't like gambling. Why don't you join me for golf?
Not yet. I can do that when I have a beer belly.
You just think that golf is stupid.
It's not like that. But it just doesn't appeal to me.
Then, what does appeal to you?
Canoeing.
Canoeing?

Canoeing down the Yukon river.
You mean, in Canada?
That's right.
That sounds good.
Then it's decided.
Wait a minute. What about the marriage?
If we can go canoeing, then we can also get married.
What kind of logic is that?
Marriage is like a rafting trip.
You can definitely stop with the wedding speech metaphors right there.
No, I'm serious. You wouldn't go down a river with someone you don't trust. Especially in the middle of the winter in Yukon.
Middle of the winter?
It's full of tourists during the summer. And you can catch more pike fish in the winter.
I thought you couldn't go down the river in winter.
You can. Just leave it to me.

Actually, Ririko is right, you cannot do it in winter. Things get a bit too frozen (and dark). But this is not a mistake in the game, keep reading.

When would we go?
After we get married.
I knew it wouldn't work. With both of us still working as detectives?
I'll quit if you want me to.
Are you serious?
I can quit being a detective any time I want. It's just a job. I just don't want to lose you.
Is that line supposed to make me cry?
Don't make fun of me. I'm trying here.

Scene change!

So what do you want me to do, then!
Just leave the whole thing alone!
But we've gone to all this trouble to collect evidence!

That guy has three mistresses! What do you mean we should "leave the whole thing alone"!
Don't get involved in other people's problems. If that how your client wants it, then that's how your client wants it.
This is ridiculous!

You learn to live with it. We're just workers for hire. Don't overthink it.
No! I'm proud of what I do! There are people out there who need our help!

Don't talk to me about ideals! This job is 60% investigating cheating spouses, 30% background checks. And the remaining 10% is filled by paranoid crazies. That's about all there is to it.

But we do help people in trouble!
More precisely, "people in trouble... who have money".
But our bills are transparent! We don't cheat on our fees!
That's why we'll never be able to get bigger.
If you don't like the way boss is running things here, why don't you just leave?
No, you misunderstand. I'm not judging. His way suits me. He's the only reason I still work this job. I don't want to work somewhere else and I don't care about money.
Then why do you say things like that?
Because you're a liability. If you go at everything with 100%, eventually you won't be able to handle it any more. You need to be a bit more mature about it.
Stop talking to me like I'm a child!

And... scene change!

I've always wanted to be a police detective.
I haven't heard that one before.

But it didn't work out.
How come?
I don't fit in a hierarchical society. I just don't.
So you're like a lone wolf?
Not quite. The wolves are not solitary. But, you know the story about how wolves are the ancestors of dogs.
Yeah.
Dogs are essentially wolves who abandoned their packs to feed on human leftovers. It was a long time ago. In order to survive, they chose to be ruled by humans. And the price of that stable life was loneliness.

Not quite in so many words, but this IS for real one of the possible scientific theories about how wolves got domesticated into dogs.

The price of survival?
Yes. But in humans they chose the wrong species to partner with. Humans are terrible. They started breeding them as they liked.

Did the wolves stay happy?
Happy?
Wolves live in packs so they always have others around. Are they happier than dogs?
I'm not sure. Animals that hunt are always on the edge of hunger. There may be a guarantee for tomorrow, but there definitely isn't one for the next month.
That seems like a hopeless story.
Well, the humans are the same.
But which one are you?
If I could have been a dog I would have been. That's about it.

And, one last time... scene change!

About what we talked the other day...
What did we talk about?
About marriage and going down the Yukon river.
Yes! You have finally decided!

He lays on the horn!

What are you doing.

Oh, don't worry. I was just expressing my joy!
But I have three conditions.
Tell me.
You're not going to quit being a detective until we both make the decision together.
Fine. We can do whatever you like.
Second. You're not allowed to die before me. I can't bear to be left on my own, I want you to take care of me properly.
Sounds reasonable, but that kind of thing is still a long way off. But fine, I'm not going to die first. What's the third thing.
We're going canoeing, but not in the middle of the winter.
Hahaha, did you actually believe that? You're funny, but don't worry. You can't do it in winter because everything freezes over!
Hey, eyes on the road!

Memories are interrupted by the sound of a gunshot.

Wait... did Kusanagi just... kill the guy? Just like that? Is the game over? (No. It's not over.)

Also, this was the second and last blurry section. So we won't have to deal with this any more. Although, if I'm honest, I have to say that while the content of this second one was certainly interesting, it again feels like it may have worked better if it was distributed over the course of the game, rather than just dumped all at once like this.

Anyway, let's see what happens now.

Can you stand?
I guess so...
Let's go. Follow me.

Outside, back on the road...

You ok?
My head is throbbing.
Do you want to lie in the back?
Nah. I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway. You shot Asakura?
Yeah, I did.
Is that the gun from the safe?

Let's not talk about it right now.
I've got questions for you.
Yes, I also want to talk to you too. But first you should get some rest. I'll take you to a hotel I know in Naha. It's a bit of a drive, so try to get some sleep if you can.

Some time later...

Welcome!
Sorry, it's a bit late.
No problem. One room or two?
Two rooms.

It's on the second floor.

Upstairs...

You can rest here for a bit.
Where are you going?
I have a few things to take care of. I'll be back in the evening, so try to get some rest until then. Call room service if you get hungry.
All right. And when you come back, we'll... we'll talk.
Yes. Wait for me.

He leaves.

A few hours later...

Ririko makes a phone call to the gang in Tokyo...

This is Limelight.
Yuuji?
Ririko? It's Ririko! You're alive!
Somehow...
That's great! I was worried to death! Where are you right now?

Okinawa.
Okinawa?
Naha city. I'm staying at the hotel called "Bird of Paradise".

To be clear, the name of the hotel refers only to the flower of that name and not to anything else.

But why are you in Okinawa?
I was kidnapped... by Asakura Ryou.
Asakura Ryou?
Yeah. He's dead now, though.
What?
Kusanagi saved me.
Kusanagi-san? Wait a second, Ririko. I don't understand anything here. What are you doing in Okinawa again?
Well, I don't really know exactly myself. But, hey, Yuuji, how are things over there? How is everyone doing?
Don't say it so casually, ok? Everybody has been worried sick looking for you!
Sorry. I'm sorry for making everyone worry.

How is Asuka doing?
She can't stop crying. She's really upset over Shingi, but she didn't say a word and was looking for you together with everybody else.
What's the situation with the Shingi case?
Detective Sasaki is investigating. At first the investigation was assuming that it's a suicide... but Asuka managed to convince them that it cannot be.
Good. So everyone is okay then?
More or less.
Hey, Yuuji. Would you be able to come over here?
To Okinawa?
Yes, to Naha.
Sure, I'll get ready immediately. I should be able to be there by tomorrow.
Thank you. Tell everybody to get some rest. And thank Asuka for me.
I will. She'll be happy to hear you're alive.
All right then, tomorrow.

With that done, Ririko heads back down to the reception desk.

Um...
Ah, you came with Kusanagi-san, right?
I'm his wife. Kusanagi has not returned yet, has he?
He came back about an hour ago, but then went out again. He said to tell you that he will be late, so you should get some rest.
I wish he had woken me up...
I'm sorry, but he said not to wake you up.
Sorry, I'm just talking to myself. Will you give me a key to his room, I forgot my makeup there.

Here you go.

I guess it's time for some good old fashioned spying. Let's go back up to Kusanagi's room...

Where did he go? Is there something here which can help me figure it out?

And it's actually one of those segments where we have to look for a clue in a room full of stuff. This time the clue is the somewhat obvious bag under the desk over there. Let's have a look.

(What is he doing with drugs? Stupid... I hate drugs so much...)

In any case, Ririko goes back to her room...

...just as the phone starts ringing. It's Kusanagi.

Did you wake up?
Yeah, I did.
Can you move around?
Yeah, somehow. Where are you?
I'll come over to the beach in front of the hotel, but then I have to go again. Can you come over there?
Yeah, sure.
Ok, I'll wait for you.

To the beach it is, then!

Where have you been?
I was looking for a man named Uehara Kanji, from the citizens' group.
The citizens' group?
Oh, right, I didn't explain it to you. It's a group which opposes the plans for the casino.
The Republicans' plan?
That's right. How much do you already know about it?
I know there's a delegate named Yazaki who is running the whole scheme.
Do you know who's actually pulling the strings behind the scene?
It's his secretary, Tanaka Shuumei.
And the rest...?
Asakura and Tanaka are in it together also.
It seems you've done the research.
I've done too much research. It got a lawyer killed and now they're trying to kill me too. Come on, you have to tell me! You know everything, don't you? The boss also knew too much, and Asakura stopped him from talking. Isn't that right?
It's not wrong. But there's more.
For example?
I can't tell you right now.
Stop screwing around! Several people have already died over this!

It's no good. I can't tell you.
I know you can be stubborn, but this has now gone long enough already!

I followed Shuumei to Asakura. The only reason I was there was to collect evidence.
Evidence?
Asakura and his gang make a lot of money from drug trade. This money is going back to Shuumei through the back channels.
Are you sure about all this?
I'm sure. All the evidence is in this bag.

I would like you to give it to Uehara-san from the citizens' group. He's the head of that group which opposes the casino plans.

I don't know about you, but I think it's totally cool to be introducing entirely new characters at the point in the game where we are literally five minutes away from the end. Well, maybe it's just me.

You want me to...
Yes. Shuumei and his people are on the move. His residence and his office were empty, I have no idea where he is.
Are you trying to say that Shuumei and his gang are after us?
That's the only thing I can think of. Uehara-san has contacts in the Labour party and he's ready to come to Tokyo with this evidence and attack the Republicans.

Like with the Republican party, there is also no such thing as Labour party in Japan, at least not under that name anyway.

And then what happens?
Shuumei and the rest will be ruined.

Will it really be that easy? I mean we seem to be talking here about a well organised criminal enterprise. Would they really simply sit back while all of this happens?

I'm heading over to Hatoma island right now.

You know what, just so we would all know what we're talking about here, here is a convenient map:

So the island on the top right is Okinawa and as you can see, Naha city is basically at the very southern tip of it. Directly in the middle of the map is an island called Taketomi, and just a bit to the north of it is Hatoma island which I've marked with the pin. Hatoma island is tiny, only about 1km in diameter, and is located about 150 km or so off the coast of Taiwan, although it's part of Japan nevertheless.

Actually, here's an aerial picture of the island itself:

By Geospatial Information Authority of Japan - Aerial photo numbered Reference number: COK20096X, cource number: C1, photo number: 4 on map & aerial photo browsing service, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=89835955

As you can clearly see, it is in fact inhabited, despite its tiny size!

All right, enough of the geography lesson, let's move on with the story.

Hatoma island?
It's a remote island, just beyond Ishigaki.

Well, remote I guess from the perspective of Japan, but as we've seen it's quite close to Taiwan, so it's not really remote in a physical distance from nearest big chunk of land sense.

Can I come with you?
You'll just slow me down. We're running out of time.
Tell me what's going on!
We don't have time for this right now. You will go to the ticket gate at Omoromachi station at 11h today. A man named Kaneshiro Mitsuru will be waiting for you there. Give him the bag.

More new characters, well why not. Also Omoromachi is a train station in Naha, and since I'm just feeling like it today, here's what it looks like:

By Japanese Wikipedia contributor 利用者:絶対◆2BenKiTYKw - Japanese Wikipedia (画像:Yui_rail_Omoromachi.jpg), CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4465563

Kaneshiro Mitsuru?
He's the vice president of the citizens' group. I just spoke with him on his mobile. He's also about to go into hiding. But I'm sure he will be able to meet with Uehara-san. Just in case, I will give you both of their mobile numbers.

Well, I guess I need to get a move on.
Wait a minute! What did Asakura mean when he said that you betrayed the boss? And what about the drugs in the bag?
You'll find out soon anyway.
You aren't going to tell me anything, are you?
It's a complicated situation, so I don't have time to explain all the details. But I've left a letter with Uehara-san, just in case. Please read it. I'm sorry Ririko, and thank you for all your help.
You're not trying to say that this is the last time I will see you, are you?
Well, I guess I am.

And well, I guess that's that.

So Ririko goes back to the hotel, where...

Ririko!
Yuuji!
It's so hot here in Okinawa. I'm really sweating...
I'm sorry, Yuuji, I'm in a bit of a hurry. Please wait for me here, I'll be back soon!
What's going on?
I'll explain later, I have to go now!
B-but... I've only just arrived, and...
You know what, you can get us a rental car in the meantime!

I totally feel you, Yuuji. I understand.

Well now, wasn't that a positive breath of fresh air after the slog that was the previous chapter?

Also, did you notice that this part uses almost entirely custom images and gives up on the usual talking portraits format? Although we'll go back at least partially to the traditional format, a large part of this chapter which is still to come will be presented in this "different" format. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it and it looks great (this was not a low budget game as far as that goes), but it just adds to my talk about constant structural problems in this game. Everything is just random, there is little consistency to anything.

Also also, this game seems to get MORE interesting when it's NOT directly focusing on investigation, which is kind of weird. But also, this highlighs the issue for me where I feel that having Kusanagi out of the story for most of the game was just a bad decision overall as a lot of those parts now just seem like a filler to get the game up to a certain length. Chapter five in particular feels almost entirely unnecessary what with the fake kidnapping of Asuka and all that nonsense that took up an IMMENSE amount of time.

Well, at least we're in the home stretch now!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what the gently caress was that?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually really like how Asakura's written here. He completely comes across as a total sociopath, not a cackling supervillain but this weirdly affable guy that talks about such things as murder and extorsion as if they were everyday events.

I don't like the rest though. Kusanagi's "can't tell you poo poo" argument is very shaky after everything that's happened, the game just dropped a bunch of new people on the plot when we're this close to the end, the memories were nice but feel a bit too late to make you think there's anything good in that marriage...it's just a mess.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
What even was the point of that memory montage?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

CremePudding posted:

What even was the point of that memory montage?

"What even was the point of _________?" is a question that can be asked about lot of things in this game. To use a recent example, "What even was the point of Asuka getting kidnapped by that loser?". Answer: there was none. It was only there to prolong the game and will not get mentioned again. In fact I don't think Asuka will even appear again in the game at this point as the enitre rest of the story will be set on and around Okinawa.

Honestly if we were not so close to the end, I probably wouldn't have the patience to finish it. This game is seriously frustrating at this point, but it was pretty good at stringing us along for a while. Clearly the writer of this game, while they do have an ear for writing decent dialogue, really have no clue how to construct a coherent plot other than the initial hook, with which then they have no idea how to develop into a satisfying story. I was also enticed by the games stylish look and good OST, I must say.

Well anyway, I have a better game coming up after (an actual relatively known game with a good reputation), but I actually may open a new thread for that one since it might potenitally be of more general interest.

Here's a small clue about the next game-without revaling the actual name of the game, but fell free to try to guess! :v: :

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Overall, this game's biggest flaw is poor pacing. If we got some of the backstory earlier instead of all in giant lumps it may have flowed better. Honestly, if the game was less ambitious in terms of plot, it might have been better as well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The pacing is absolutely the killer - this game would be good if the script had a couple more editorial passes - excise the taxi case and Asuka's kidnapping as neither have any impact on the final arc - scattered these flashbacks earlier in the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess we are supposed to buy that the frigid, hostile marriage we saw at the start of the game was good, actually.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

what the gently caress was all that lol

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i guess we are supposed to buy that the frigid, hostile marriage we saw at the start of the game was good, actually.

That's what grates me actually, Kusanagi's vindication by the plot despite the fact he is still a prick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were both terrible. kusanagi constantly treated ririko like a child, but also she insisted on acting like one. their relationship was completely dysfunctional and ending it was a mercy.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Honestly I don't even know any more. This game is all over the place with no consistency in anything, it really feels sometimes like it was being written "one day at a time" with no regard for any kind of overall plan about how the plot should be going. At this point I just want to be done with it, and just so everybody knows there's exactly 3 parts left to the end, plus one with a couple of small extras that I think will be interesting anyway--they are quite small so I think it's worth doing them, one of them is actually the full content of Yuuji's book (as I think I may have mentioned already).

In any case the next planned game, which I was hinting at above, features in its plot a cult of SatanSanta Worshippers, so that already makes it better than this!

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

ivantod posted:

Honestly I don't even know any more. This game is all over the place with no consistency in anything, it really feels sometimes like it was being written "one day at a time" with no regard for any kind of overall plan about how the plot should be going.

I was hoping the weird writing decisions was just the story being a Slice of (Ririko's very messy) Life and Ririko being very out of her depths, then the stupid ghost thing and Mamoru's improbable kidnapping of Asuka made it clear that it's just the writer being out of their depths.

Even then I didn't expect the resolution with Asakura to be this bad. All this buildup to Asakura led to him posturing nonsensically and then dying like an afterthought - not even because it went nowhere as a realistic consequence (I mean clearly Ririko's not going to talk him down just because she did a little research), but because the plot got distracted by something else and need him out of the way right now after spending way too much time on his background!

Thanks for translating this trainwreck though, it's still entertaining in a twisted way. I wonder if Stock Trader Shun would have been more coherent than this :j:

CremePudding fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

wow, stock trader shun. That takes me back.

at some point I think ivantod should take a break and do something good though :v: