Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

POSSIBLE PLAN:

Fire nukes into the moon to chip off a huge chunk of moonrock and crash it into the Mediterranean. This would splash all the water out, onto somewhere else I dunno, and then with all of the water out, we can roll the giant moonrock to somewhere else and mine all the Helium and Hyrogen isotopes out to make Fusion reactors so we can power a massive spaceship and go to SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

I see NO DOWNSIDES to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
On the plus side, you'd have an endless supply of sea salt and potassium fertilizer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvite

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How do the new borders work for coastal countries?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The new land becomes German. The whole plan is based around closing the sandy beaches gap which Germany suffers from.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The new land becomes German. The whole plan is based around closing the sandy beaches gap which Germany suffers from.

But wouldn't that plan necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

After the "Draining of the Mediterranean" global event, any coastal nation bordering the Med gets a free "Rush to the Sea" CB against any of its neighbors that have also settled formerly ocean provinces. :black101:

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Pellisworth posted:

Hi I'm an oceanographer

It is a Bad Idea.

Where we're going we don't need oceanographers. Once all water has been dammed and displaced, you will be first into the salt mines.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

President Kucinich posted:

Where we're going we don't need oceanographers. Once all water has been dammed and displaced, you will be first into the salt mines.

More like salt gathering. It's going to be on the surface of the erstwhile seabed, isn't it?

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

We'll need to dig an extensive complex of horizontal caverns to collect the salt from blowing away to the Chinese.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

edit: eh, not funny.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
Any reason you couldn't freeze the Mediterranean to the bottom?

Pros: you can walk on it. Cons: I can't think of any.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

CSPAN Caller posted:

Any reason you couldn't freeze the Mediterranean to the bottom?

Pros: you can walk on it. Cons: I can't think of any.

To plenty of European countries people being able to walk from North Africa to Europe goes into the con column

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

STOP THE SLEDGES

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

C.M. Kruger posted:

The plan to build canals connecting to the Qattara Depression in Egypt sounds like a much better option. As long as you do it without the whole "several hundred nuclear bombs used for excavation" thing the Germans wanted to do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression_Project

This actually seems cool to me, how feasible is this?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This actually seems cool to me, how feasible is this?

I'm curious about this as well, especially the localized effect on the weather.

If you had that giant basin sitting there evaporating water, where would the water come down at, generally speaking?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm curious about this as well, especially the localized effect on the weather.

If you had that giant basin sitting there evaporating water, where would the water come down at, generally speaking?
Greece, Italy, and the Balkans I think. (The latter of which does not appear to need even more water.) Maybe the engineering of micro climates could capture some of the additional water in the air, and reduce the rate of evaporation of the water that did get captured? The desert does have the potential to get pretty cold at night.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
We should flood the Qatarra Basin because it'd be really interesting. Egypt could then export hilarious volumes of low-priced sea salt from it's efforts to keep the newly formed inland sea from becoming excessively saline and thus become the Saudi Arabia of sea salt and a special ally and friend to the National Restaurant Association.

But seriously, I want to see this.

I wonder what all that evaporation would do the local climate? And what all that water would do to the soil and groundwater levels?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Accretionist posted:

We should flood the Qatarra Basin because it'd be really interesting. Egypt could then export hilarious volumes of low-priced sea salt from it's efforts to keep the newly formed inland sea from becoming excessively saline and thus become the Saudi Arabia of sea salt and a special ally and friend to the National Restaurant Association.

But seriously, I want to see this.

I wonder what all that evaporation would do the local climate? And what all that water would do to the soil and groundwater levels?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression

It would be "spectacular and peaceful."
It would "materially alter the climate in adjacent areas."
It would "provide work during construction and living areas after completion for the Palestinian Arabs."
It would get Egyptian president Gamel Abdel Nasser's "mind on other matters" because "he need[ed] some way to get off the Soviet Hook."

Of course, the "plan" was a little far fetched, less so now.

In the seventies and early eighties several proposals to flood the area were made by Friedrich Bassler and the Joint Venture Qattara, a group of mainly German companies. They wanted to make use of peaceful nuclear explosions to construct a tunnel, drastically reducing construction costs compared to conventional methods. This project proposed to use 213 devices, with yields of 1 to 1.5 megatons detonated at depths of 100 to 500 metres (330 to 1,640 ft). This fit within the Atoms for Peace program proposed by President Dwight Eisenhower in 1953. Because of this frightening solution, the Egyptian government turned down the plan.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Guys you have it all wrong.

Instead of building a dam and draining the Med, we should be building a dam and pumping more water into the Med. One or two hundred metres more should be enough.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
You're right. Once Monaco is flooded we can start using submarines for the Monte Carlo race.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MrChips posted:

Guys you have it all wrong.

Instead of building a dam and draining the Med, we should be building a dam and pumping more water into the Med. One or two hundred metres more should be enough.
For that to work, you'd need a dam on both sides of the Sinai Peninsula too, plus one at the Dardanelles.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
While the idea of turning the Mediterranean into some kind of giant hydroelectric lake is rather kooky, I wonder if we might be able to harness the strong currents flowing through the straits of Gibraltar to generate energy through tidal power?

Just look at that sexy gradient.

:whatup:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Would you guys be more interested in a Geoengineering megathread to discuss all forms of geoengineering in D&D or continue the current discussion on just the medit. Because I think Geoengineering is something that lacks discussion in D&D.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

LeoMarr posted:

Would you guys be more interested in a Geoengineering megathread to discuss all forms of geoengineering in D&D or continue the current discussion on just the medit. Because I think Geoengineering is something that lacks discussion in D&D.

Can we discuss nuking geographic formations we don't like?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I bet one good nuke drilled in the center of Devils Tower would blow it all up and that'd be rad.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bip Roberts posted:

I bet one good nuke drilled in the center of Devils Tower would blow it all up and that'd be rad.

How would we deal with an enraged and irradiated Satan once he's been released from his rocky prison? Lot of people not thinking practically itt.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

I wanna JDAM a balancing boulder.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How many nukes would it take to make Mount McKinley the tallest mountain in the world?

We cannot allow a mountain gap.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

LeoMarr posted:

I would read it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How many nukes would it take to make Mount McKinley the tallest mountain in the world?

We cannot allow a mountain gap.
It's probably cheaper to go the other way. Come and see (but do not approach) The Grander Canyon.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Let's blow up Rushmore. :twisted:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think we've been looking about this the wrong way, instead of draining the Mediterranean sea, what if we just drain every other sea and ocean into the Mediterranean, thus getting around all the salinity issues in the mediterranean area that have been mentioned.

As all the fish will now be in the mediterranean area, it would probably improve their fishing industry a bit, but more importantly we could then turn the Marinea trench into a kick rear end skate park, with a sweet 10k drop in.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I would also read and ignorantly "contribute" to a geoengineering thread.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

How would we deal with an enraged and irradiated Satan once he's been released from his rocky prison? Lot of people not thinking practically itt.

More nukes. Get the pope to bless a plutonium cross, then melt it down for bombs. A bit like werewolves. (I assume satans are a bit like werewolves)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Dzhay posted:

More nukes. Get the pope to bless a plutonium cross, then melt it down for bombs. A bit like werewolves. (I assume satans are a bit like werewolves)
Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.

“We’re through.” General Schatten’s cry of triumph overwhelmed the rumble of the diesels in the four large trucks far behind him. They looked like fuel bowsers with the great cylinders on their backs but they weren’t. Anyway, all the real fuel bowsers were in Iraq, supplying the armored forces in Hell. In front of him, a black ellipse was forming, poised between the antennas that directed their effort. Off to one side, Lugasharmanaska was writhing on a couch, whimpering, mucus pouring from her nose and mixing with drool from her mouth.

“Hang on, we’re getting there.” James Randi looked at the succubus on the couch, she was certainly proving her new loyalty the hard way. She was in agony and would stay that way until the other side of the portal was secure enough to get a sensitive through and punch a gate from that side back to here. He shook his head quietly to himself, when he had been asked to use his foundations expertise in exposing fraudulent psychics, he’d had no idea it would lead to this.

Behind him the trucks gunned their engines and the great cylinders on their backs started to rise, elevating until they were at a 35 degree angle. Their crews were already lifting metal screens over the glass in the truck cabs. Behind them. In the control cabin, the launch crews were already waiting for the final order.

“Fire Missile One.” The button was pressed, the booster rockets fired and the missile left its launch tube, slowly at first but with increasing speed. Then the turbojet on the Progress anti-ship missile cut in and the missile arched upwards towards the gate that was almost five miles away. In the control cabin, the operator acquired it with his command guidance system and steered it for the very center of the black ellipse. He had little time but he managed it and the missile flew straight through the gate, parallel to the ground.

The Amphitheater of Tranios, Underneath the City of Dis, Hell

The great green monster flew through the gate, its roaring flames filling the chamber with smoke and heat. A few feet from the gate, Deumos felt the blast from the engines shriveling her skin, burning her with an agony that made the pain in her head seem inconsequential. She was blinded by the blast so she didn’t see what the missile did next nor did she see the fine fiber-optic wires it was trailing behind it.

Satan saw it and he saw that the missile was coming straight at him. He tried to summon up the magic needed to throw the missile away. It just needed a second or so to summon up the power but that was time he just didn’t have.

The S-35 Progress missile was doing more than 600 miles per hour when it hit Satan in the chest. The kinetic energy of the blow alone was enough to send Satan reeling backwards but that was inconsequential. The missile also had a 3,300 pound explosive warhead that was configured as a shaped charge. Normally it had a copper lining but this one had been modified with an iron liner and sintered iron powder in the cavity. One thing hadn’t changed; the warhead on Progress was behind the main fuel tank and that tank was filled to capacity with jet engine fuel.

The explosion as the warhead went off was powerful enough to bring rocks down from the ceiling and enough even to roil the lava far below. It blasted a mixture of iron plasma, powdered iron and blazing jet fuel deep into Satan’s chest, leaving him blasted burned and poisoned. The great figure, its chest ripped open and splayed apart staggered backwards, slumping down to the floor to sprawl out in a pool of boiling purple blood. Incredibly, the body was already beginning to repair itself when a second missile erupted through the portal.

The operator had done a fine job with the first missile, he’d hit a small moving target with a weapon never designed for the task and which had been hastily modified. The second shot was much easier. Satan’s body was almost still and the few twitches it made didn’t affect the firing solution. The second Progress missile plowed straight into Satan’s head, vaporizing it completely. The great body gave one more jerk and was still. Satan was dead.

As the echoes following the scream of the missiles and the terrible blasts, a great silence fell on the Amphitheater of Tranios. It was interrupted by only the falling of the rocks shaken loose from the roof and the whimpering of those burned by the blast of the missile engines. Shock paralyzed and silenced every demon present, even those in the plot to remove Satan from power had never contemplated this. Dagon was first to recover his senses although his head felt stuffed with mud and neither his eyes nor his ears were working right.

“By right of succession I clai…..” He got no further for another roar filled the chamber, this time one which too many demons knew all too well. The roar of human diesel engines.

I'm sorry.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

While the idea of turning the Mediterranean into some kind of giant hydroelectric lake is rather kooky, I wonder if we might be able to harness the strong currents flowing through the straits of Gibraltar to generate energy through tidal power?

Just look at that sexy gradient.

:whatup:
Actually, we just have to wait until global warming starts melting Antarctica, then dam the Strait of Gibraltar, both sides of the Sinai Peninsula, and possibly somewhere past the Urals around the Irtysh river. Instead of ruining the Mediterranean coastline you'd be saving it, but you'd still get a decent enough drop in water level that you could probably get some power out of it, at both ends of the Med.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

chrisoya posted:

Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.

Balls, said Lt Michael Wong

Stuart Slade will sue you like a 14 year old Romanian bittorrent user :supaburn:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 18, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Actilually, let's rise the water level in the med. It will take care of quite a few problems that Europe is facing right now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mobby_6kl posted:

Actilually, let's rise the water level in the med. It will take care of quite a few problems that Europe is facing right now.
How high would it need to be before the Swiss could go surfing?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How high would it need to be before the Swiss could go surfing?

Trick question. The Swiss will never learn how to surf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Berk Berkly posted:

Trick question. The Swiss will never learn how to surf.

The entire nation would drown within a few hours of the first ski slopes opening. eh, maybe bobsleds can float.

• Locked thread