Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What do you guys think about this? It would free a lot of very fertile land up for construction and agriculture. I know that it was planned in wubya wubya 2 by the Germans but never came to fruition, the EU discussed it briefly but Id like to onpw what you guys think about this and how it would effect europe positively and negatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well i dont mean drain the entirity of it. Just some of it. like 500 meters at the most

Also a Hydroelectric dam on the strait of gebraltar would give yurope massive amounts of energy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, that's all? No worries, then!

So you somehow think you will get more energy out of a hydroelectric dam at the Strait of Gibraltar than you would spend pumping water out? Even ignoring the amount of energy and resources you'd need to put in just to install a dam over there, your idea violates conservation of energy. With luck you'd break even, except 2nd Law says you can't even do that.

so draining the water a few hundred feet, then controlling the flow of water into the mediterranean from the ocean would somehow break the laws of physics?

Constant supply of energy for a 1 time production

Even if we didnt slowly drain it a Dam that large would produce a massive amount of energy.

Aswell as the land up for sale and usage after we drain it. Thats a lot of fertile land up for usage and sale.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 14, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That seems to make a bit more sense, but honestly, if you're in effect trying to get at solar power, you're really much better off getting it through solar panels rather than cycles of evaporation and hydroelectric.

I feel like it might make sense to try and do some height control of the Med through dams or something at both Gibraltar and Suez because of rising sea-levels due to global warming, but you also have to take into account that you need to make sure that ships can travel through as well, further complicating things. Adding hydroelectric into the situation sounds like it would make things even more ridiculous.

I think height control would be better than straight going 0 to 100 in a second. Slowly lowering it over a period of a few decades to reduce the chances of ecological disaster, Ships traveling through the mediterranean would need a similar system to the Three Gorge's Ship lift/lock system.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 14, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

double post

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well, a drat on the strait would have pretty huge benefits to the whole of Yurope and the world in general, The original planner of this idea estimated that 50 Gigawatta could be produced by the day in 1940s standards. I do believe we could pump 2 or 3x more put of the dam, which would greatly reduce oil and gas dependence on parts of europe.

Howevet the chances of an ecological disaster are loving huge with how capitalism is and we"d probably see at least some sort of disaster come from all of this. Whethere it be dust storms in europe, salt crises or floods.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DrSunshine posted:

Rather than draining the Mediterranean, what about restoring the Sahara to the verdant rainforest that it used to be?

Use water from Medit to terraform sahara?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Accretionist posted:

We should flood the Qatarra Basin because it'd be really interesting. Egypt could then export hilarious volumes of low-priced sea salt from it's efforts to keep the newly formed inland sea from becoming excessively saline and thus become the Saudi Arabia of sea salt and a special ally and friend to the National Restaurant Association.

But seriously, I want to see this.

I wonder what all that evaporation would do the local climate? And what all that water would do to the soil and groundwater levels?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression

It would be "spectacular and peaceful."
It would "materially alter the climate in adjacent areas."
It would "provide work during construction and living areas after completion for the Palestinian Arabs."
It would get Egyptian president Gamel Abdel Nasser's "mind on other matters" because "he need[ed] some way to get off the Soviet Hook."

Of course, the "plan" was a little far fetched, less so now.

In the seventies and early eighties several proposals to flood the area were made by Friedrich Bassler and the Joint Venture Qattara, a group of mainly German companies. They wanted to make use of peaceful nuclear explosions to construct a tunnel, drastically reducing construction costs compared to conventional methods. This project proposed to use 213 devices, with yields of 1 to 1.5 megatons detonated at depths of 100 to 500 metres (330 to 1,640 ft). This fit within the Atoms for Peace program proposed by President Dwight Eisenhower in 1953. Because of this frightening solution, the Egyptian government turned down the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Would you guys be more interested in a Geoengineering megathread to discuss all forms of geoengineering in D&D or continue the current discussion on just the medit. Because I think Geoengineering is something that lacks discussion in D&D.

• Locked thread