Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm surprised you leveled up killing the stuff that dude made from a wand. I guess they give experience just like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is going surprisingly well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So I'm guessing you regain health automatically as you walk? That's useful.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

This is going surprisingly well.

Watch him effortlessly beat the game on this run.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I won't say anything conclusive, lest I give anything away, but I will say that Nethack 4 has seen the deft hand of some reasonable developer from the rumblings I've heard.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

Another Haifisch?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

I won't say anything conclusive, lest I give anything away, but I will say that Nethack 4 has seen the deft hand of some reasonable developer from the rumblings I've heard.

A lot of early-game gently caress you things have been taken away. (Although he did almost "do not pass Go" himself by accident on his first run, so maybe not.) As far as I can tell, the midgame and lategame are largely unchanged.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Calling this as an elaborate troll by a roguelike savant :colbert:

Actually, is it even possible to get some kind of win without spoilers? I haven't played this since forever, and never was any good at it.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 18, 2015

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Believe me, I loving wish. This game is going to give me a heart attack, as if I need any more encouragement in that department.

Update soon.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Espilae posted:

Believe me, I loving wish. This game is going to give me a heart attack, as if I need any more encouragement in that department.

I'm really enjoying this run. I'm a mediocre nethacker -- I've won once, with some lucky breaks early on, and a constantly-open spoiler tab -- and the authenticity of your experience really reminds me of my own times with the game. So thanks for putting yourself out there :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Actually, is it even possible to get some kind of win without spoilers? I haven't played this since forever, and never was any good at it.

In principle, all the information you need about actions you need to take to win is available in-game from various sources, at least in NH3. In practice, actually getting all of that information is difficult, and getting it on your first character is basically unheard of.

I've won NH3 three times, but I used spoilers.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Theoretically. By which I mean 'No'.

There are some unspoiled ascensions, and they're legendary. But even they required years of set-up in which the player basically created the spoilers from scratch anyway by taking detailed notes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sorites posted:

A lot of early-game gently caress you things have been taken away. (Although he did almost "do not pass Go" himself by accident on his first run, so maybe not.)

EDIT OH gently caress I thought it was the other thread spoiler removed

Sorites posted:

Theoretically. By which I mean 'No'.

There are some unspoiled ascensions, and they're legendary. But even they required years of set-up in which the player basically created the spoilers from scratch anyway by taking detailed notes.

I wouldn't call those unspoiled though. Those players still used spoilers, just self-compiled ones instead of the internet / looking at the game's source. It's still loving impressive, but how did their first ascended character know about, say, REMOVED
I posit that an ascension where you're not allowed to use out of character knowledge is impossible.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 18, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

I wouldn't call those unspoiled though. Those players still used spoilers, just self-compiled ones instead of the internet / looking at the game's source. It's still loving impressive, but how did their first ascended character know about, say, something?
I posit that an ascension where you're not allowed to use out of character knowledge is impossible.

Nah. Stumble into a way to get infinite food and you have as long as you need to figure things out "in-character". Eventually you should figure things out assuming you don't stumble into a deathtrap. So it's not outright impossible, just a statistical impossibility (odds of millions or billions to 1 against).

NetHack is meant to be a game where you learn the tricks over many, many lives, but there's nothing inherently preventing you from figuring everything out in one life.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Omobono posted:

That would be a pretty terrible design goal when coupled with permadeath.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rchandra posted:

It's probably completely possible to win Crawl the first time you play. I doubt it's ever happened, but it's possible.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I could imagine winning DoomRL without out-of-character knowledge. I mean, it might not be easy, and there are many things that could trip you up, but you could also get by with a bit of luck and a lot of avoiding named staircases (a perfectly reasonable newbie impulse, I might add). Even corner shooting could be readily discovered by a logical "ohgodhelpmusttakecover" impulse.

DoomRL is basically the best roguelike though.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 18, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

rchandra posted:

Yeah, that's why nethack isn't actually a very good game.

It can be funny sometimes though.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Corbeau posted:

I could imagine winning DoomRL without out-of-character knowledge. I mean, it might not be easy, and there are many things that could trip you up, but you could also get by with a bit of luck and a lot of avoiding named staircases (a perfectly reasonable newbie impulse, I might add). Even corner shooting could be readily discovered by a logical "ohgodhelpmusttakecover" impulse.

DoomRL is basically the best roguelike though.

I won DoomRL in something like game 5. I can easily see a game 1 win.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Espilae posted:

Update soon.

I know, I was joking.

You'r doing great, go, go, go!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

getting a simple win in doomrl on hurt me plenty is pretty easy, honestly. once you get into ultraviolence territory it'll start getting hairy, but anything before that isn't hugely difficult.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Levels 5-6 - FLASH, aah ah

Still a new moon and still something I should be probably worried about.

Well, that's one way to get my attention. Is that another shop?

It is, and full of more crap too! Also two mimics as well. I suppose this telepathy necklace really comes in handy. I wonder what happens if you buy one? No, I am not loving trying it.

A whole bunch of stuff including blindness potions, which seem to me to have no specific use except to severely gently caress me up, so I ain't buying that crap. That armor looks nice though.

Also a black gem which is WAY out of my price range.

Seems a reasonable price, though it doesn't say how much more protective it is. Bugger it, I'll just buy it.

There we go, and nice that I thought to take off my cloak BEFORE I put the armor on. Rookie fashion mistake avoided.

Let me get these boots too.

More food is nice. All right, let's see if we can unload some of this useless crap we've picked up on this poor hapless merchant with more money than brains.

Well, he is apparently starting a collection of these loving blindness potions, why not add to it?

This uranium monster-creating piece of poo poo fetches a nice price too.

That doesn't look like a guard to me, let's kill it.

A nymph? I hope it wasn't friendly to begin with. Whatever, she can carry her own loving printer.

She has a friend! She will also die.

She is also apparently quite fast.

So is this one, goddamnit.

Why the gently caress would you pick up an arrow if you don't have a bow to fire it back with, that's what I don't understand.

Thank god for that. Now just one more to hunt down.

THEY'RE USELESS TO YOU YOU STUPID COW

If you're so desperate for arrows, here's one straight through the brain.

I hope we don't have to step through it.

A hobgoblin briefly appeared then disappeared, let's go find it and fill it full of holes.

Out of my way, loving igneous motherfucker

Why are there giant rocks just lying around? It's not as if they serve any purpose. Well, that I know of. That's the loving problem.

Luckily I have levelled up in diagonalshoot.

Sweet.

Doors are no longer my enemy.

Scratch that, THEY ARE CUNTS

Money!

OPEN UP oval office

Squishy bugs to squish.

And a newt from the other direction, weird.

Hopefully they don't both catch me at the same time.

That newt can wait, I have rooms to explore and poo poo.

Cash and a book it looks like? The tile it's on is a bit weird though.

The cash was on a grave. Too bad, I'm walking here!

Oh, that's why the tile was weird, the book is lying right on the staircase.

Look who it is, my old pal the newt. You took your time, didn't you?

You came all the way over here just to run away again? Come back, arsehole.

Let that be a lesson to you. Fight like a real man - from a distance with arrows of death so they can't hit you.

What is this, some sort of rock level?

Where the hell did you two come from?

I wonder if I that corridor connects.

It does! Arrow time!

HOW MANY OF YOU ARE THERE CHRIST

Lots of these orcish bastards, thankfully they're easy to kill.

And they carry weird poo poo.

gently caress that gecko, too.

Let's pick up this dagger.

Why are they called hill orcs, anyway? There aren't any hills here.

Another weird potion.

OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE

Yes, sir, this is the arrow-in-the-face counter. If you all just form an orderly queue, I'll get to you each in a minute.

Wait your turn, sir, there's been a malfunction with the equipment, won't be much longer.

Thank you for your patience, sorry for the delay.

Pleasure doing business with you all. Turds.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

Did I accidentally miss an orc convention in another room or something?

And they've dropped a mountain of orcish poo poo, luckily I can sell it on this floor.

Hungry, but luckily I have plenty of grub on me.

"Take all this orcish poo poo, please, I'm sick of smelling like a poo poo sandwich."

gently caress that scroll and that mirror too, if I need them I'll just buy them back. Hopefully.

Still got plenty of crap unidentified, maybe I'll use that scroll later.

All of your friends are dead. Go join them.

Good, now let's move on-

Motherfucker, I can only carry so goddamn much you know.

Down here, I smell kobold.

It died pretty quick. This homunculus is next.

There was a lichen here, and it also dropped a food ration. Two for one!

Another lizard.

Stand still, I might need to repair my boots with your face.

Here you are, little homunculus.

Why the gently caress am I not hitting it, IT IS THERE IN FRONT OF ME THERE IS NO AIMING INVOLVED

About time. Now let's sell this extra crap (again).

Wait, what is that bright light thing?

YOU MOTHERFUCKER I CAN'T SEE poo poo gently caress this probably isn't good, I need to hide

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo RUN RUN RUN

HOW DO I CLOSE THIS DOOR HELP

Hopefully those loving things can't grab a door handle. I don't know how hosed being blind makes me but I sure as hell wouldn't be able to fire a loving bow with NO GODDAMN EYESIGHT

Hopefully it goes back to normal, I just need to wait here in this shop full of my orcish poo poo.

Please don't open the door please don't open the door please don't open the door

YAY FOR OPPOSABLE THUMBS, MOTHERFUCKER

PRAISE THE LORD I CAN SEE AGAIN

Running around in a panic while blind is apparently terrific exercise.

REVENGE.

THIS WILL TEACH YOU FOR PICKING ON THE DISABLED, BASTARD

Where does this crap keep spawning from? Do monsters just keep spawning no matter if you've explored the whole level or not?

Bugger off, lizard.

I am healed and you are dead.

The gently caress is a rothe anyway.

I just need to kill this one then I'm out of this loving place.

Eww, jelly.

Surely a giant blob of moving blue crap isn't a hard target. What kind of Ranger are you?

Oh, I forgot, a Texas Ranger. Maybe I should have tried to roundhouse kick the loving thing

That should be the last of them.

DIE

Now THAT should be the last of them.

Finally. Let's move on, shall we?

More potions. I need a gently caress load more of identify scrolls, apparently.

That's nice, it treats a diagonal step as a gap you need to squeeze through. Less nice is that it's calling me fat.

What a boring lizard, it didn't even bother to come with a flavour like gecko or newt or iguana.

Let's eat it and wash it down with dungeon moss crap.

Haha, READ ME. Nice try. Probably a loving black hole spell or something.

This level's pretty straightforward, I keep hearing money counting though. Another shop?

OPEN THIS PORTAL AT ONCE

Oh, nice.

Okay, let's identify this one, I like the look of it.

Hey, looks like I can identify multiple items at once.

Ah, gently caress, no it doesn't. THEN WHY GIVE ME THE loving OPTION

Bugger it, I'm going to put it on. What's the worst that can happen?

Oh look, an arrow trap. Wait, now I can see traps? Sweeet.

Another fatshaming corridor.

Not today, rear end in a top hat.

See, this guy is a creative lizard.

Also a pain in my arse.

Like that door, gently caress that door.

Why do all doors hate me so?

Screw you for looking at me funny.

Hungry, and.. argh god what have I just put in my mouth

Whatever it was, it wore off pretty quick.

Well, that level was pretty short. Oh well, on we go..

NEXT TIME: Useless bitch.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
:allears:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

oh god that ring

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

Haha, READ ME. Nice try. Probably a loving black hole spell or something.

You're already showing more smarts than I did on my early playthroughs of Nethack.

"Oh! A scroll labeled READ ME! That must be some kind of in-game documentation!"

It wasn't.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I would have read it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Nice move closing the door to keep the monsters out of the shop!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This seems like really good luck, unless that's like a ring of random trap creation or something.

I don't actually know if that's a thing or not, but I wouldn't put it past Nethack.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
A bit of a tip: your dog behaves better if you feed it. It eats meat; it is a dog.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Additional tip: your dog behaves better if he's alive.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CISscum posted:

Additional tip: your dog behaves better if he's alive.

Time to tame another pet, say a cockatrice or a death ooze or a sentient black hole, I mean what could go wrong right? :getin:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Time to tame another pet, say a cockatrice or a death ooze or a sentient black hole, I mean what could go wrong right? :getin:

op you get a black hole by dropping lots of items on one square

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
First things first, never ask "What's the worst that could happen?" when doing something with total unknowns in roguelikes because the answer should always be assumed to be "painful humiliating death."
Instead, ask yourself "Am I okay with risking painful humiliating death to do this?"

Espilae posted:

Motherfucker, I can only carry so goddamn much you know.
Ah, the worst part of any game with encumbrance rules: your ability to kill things and get access to their loot invariably quickly surpasses your ability to actually take all their loot.

Espilae posted:

The gently caress is a rothe anyway.
If you want to find out what a rothe or other monster is after the fact, hit / and don't specify any target, then it will allow you to enter a monster name to get info on. This can bring up an in-game encyclopedia entry of varying usefulness on whatever monster you ask about.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Aparently a rothe is some kind of cave bison from DnD.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Air is lava! posted:

Aparently a rothe is some kind of cave bison from DnD.

Weird, I would have bet my left nut it was those monster the men from the east ride in LOTR but I can't find a single thing backing that up. Apparently they were introduced in the Fiend Folio way back in 1981 which is certainly timely enough to get into nethack. I even had that book.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
quote is not edit

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
You are terrible at taxonomy :colbert:. Neither newts nor crocodiles are lizards, crocodiles are in an entirely different taxonomic order to lizards, while newts are amphibians. And lichens aren't plants, they're a symbiotic relationship comprised of an algae and a fungus.

On the bright side, you are excellent at Roguelike LPs.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

So these cave bisons are like regular bisons except they graze on adventurers instead of grass?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Ekster posted:

So these cave bisons are like regular bisons except they graze on adventurers instead of grass?

They're what happens when someone asks Gygax, "what does everything in the underdark even live on?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pvt.Scott posted:

They're what happens when someone asks Gygax, "what does everything in the underdark even live on?"

Mushrooms.

Don't ask what the Mushrooms live on; only the Myconids know and they're too blazed to give you a straight answer.

e; Apparently Rothe have three subspecies; the 'normal' surface Rothe that are basically just blind Musk Oxen, the Deep Rothe which live in the Underdark and communicate by flashing magical lights at each other (despite their blindness?) and Ghost Rothe which are large white Rothe that can cast spells to fly, teleport and move silently amongst other things.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 5, 2015

• Locked thread