Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And you wonder why I said to start with Crawl.... If it helps, I did the same thing the first time I played Nethack. Nethack is seriously one of the worst games to start with. It gives you exactly zero help, and some of the things you are expected to figure out are "old Sierra point and click adventure game" levels of obtuse. I don't even know if it's possible to beat spoiler-free. Good luck!

Oh, and as for some vague advice, either move with the numpad or use vi keys (if you don't know what this means, just use the numpad). I don't think it's a spoiler to point out that you can move diagonally. I won't get into the actual mechanics of how movement works, though I will say there are some unique situations regarding movement rules that you have to (ab)use to stay alive.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

This is going to be fun. :allears:

When you get tired of Nethack, I highly recommend trying Crawl.

I can't stress this enough. Nethack's unofficial motto is "The devs thought of everything." The amount of obscure mechanics is just :psyduck:. Crawl is the complete opposite - if a mechanic doesn't create meaningful choices or isn't self-explanatory, it's usually scrapped.

But until then, :munch:

Edit: (Not saying what the spoiler is, but pointing one out, so tagging just in case). I'm surprised the options menu has such a big spoiler in it. It both says what it does AND has a shortcut for performing the action.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kvx687 posted:

Ishtar's actually a real goddess, by the way. She's a figure in Sumerian mythology known for trying to seduce Gilgamesh, making her one of the oldest known mythological figures in history.

Are you talking about Elbereth? That's obscure enough I doubt s/he'd pick up on that just from the menu.

I am. If (s)he looked carefully, it specifically says what it does in the birth options menu, and then in the keybind menu, it says what has to be done with it (writing it in the dust) and gives a shortcut to do that. I also like how it tries to keep it spoiled by saying "The E-word" but has the actual word as the variable name. :v:

Edit: Espilae crops it out of the image, but it the shortcut is always written at the bottom of the screen. The programmer must REALLY want you to know about it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MartianAgitator posted:

Great thread! Let me just post this part of OP again:

Seriously, guys. This is being crossposted in the regular Roguelikes LP thread for all your wink-wink, "Oh, you mean this" spoilers; please post there if you can't contain yourself. Let's leave the wonder in this thread.

What, we can't talk behind the OPs back? It's more fun that way!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In the vein of vague recommendations: One of the actions you can do is "kick" (this isn't spoilers, it's in the actions menu), and while it doesn't have a ton of gameplay implications right now, kicking down doors gives you the most satisfying "WHAMM!" message and generally makes you feel like a badass, which fits in with your character. So you should probably just start doing that on any doors you come across from now on.

Also, you can kick your dog if it's getting uppity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are 2 other tilesets. I like the 32x32 one, even though it means you can't see the entire level at once.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You don't want to be a fatso, do you? Didn't think so.

rchandra posted:

Skinny staircase.

If your kick doesn't work, keep kicking.

And yeah, just keep kicking the poo poo out of the doors until they learn who's boss. I demand to know what's behind that last door before you leave. :argh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

The command to drink things is called 'quaff'. Just putting that out there for later use.

Surprisingly, it says this in the help menu for keybinds.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dreggon posted:

i used to play roguelikes with hjkl as my directional keys, which randomly corresponded to up/down/left/right

fun

also if a door is locked just keep kicking it, i don't remember if it opens them but it probably will

"hjkl" is what people mean when they say "vi" keys.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rchandra posted:

That would be a pretty terrible design goal when coupled with permadeath.

It's probably completely possible to win Crawl the first time you play. I doubt it's ever happened, but it's possible.

• Locked thread