Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ahahah. Just magical. I started playing nethack when I was... 13 maybe? In the pre-internet era; maybe BBS's were around. Didn't beat it until I was 17 (lot of off and on there obviously, I wasn't playing constantly), as an (redacted). This was 3.0j I believe, so before (redacted) existed and I was (redacteding) (redeacted) and a (redacted) like no tomorrow which you can't do now. So yes I beat Nethack without spoilers after about 4 years. Sorry this story was going to be a lot more exciting but I realized just by saying what I had done I'd be spoiling things. Then I went to university, got newsgroup access, found rgrn, and beat it with all classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Uh the original Rogue (populizer of the 'roguelike keyset' in these kind of games) was created and published around 1980. Linus Torvalds would have been about 11 years at the time.VI was originally published in 76, when Linus was 7. Bill Joy is probably the guy you want to direct your ire to.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Air is lava! posted:

Aparently a rothe is some kind of cave bison from DnD.

Weird, I would have bet my left nut it was those monster the men from the east ride in LOTR but I can't find a single thing backing that up. Apparently they were introduced in the Fiend Folio way back in 1981 which is certainly timely enough to get into nethack. I even had that book.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

pumpinglemma posted:

Nah, you're thinking of mumakil.

Hah you are correct good sir. Still has the q which is probably why I thought that.

• Locked thread