Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Flint_Paper posted:

I had a really weird moment of worry about this last night.

I'm super excited for it, but I'm worried that the temptation to make supercrazyhard levels will mean that we won't see levels that are just good, if that makes sense? I love weird gimmick levels as much as the next guy, but I'd really, really love to play levels that are good because they're great examples of platforming, rather than just levels that show off what a sadist the creator is. Levels of the calibre of, say, Donut Plains 3 or something (I don't remember if that was a particularly ace level, that's just me pulling a SMW level out of my rear end because they're all lovely. Apart from Tubular. That can go gently caress itself.)

Oh god I'm not even making sense am I?

I guess I'm just hoping that in amongst all the lolcock levels and the rear end in a top hat Mario levels, there will be some that are just solid examples platform gaming done good.

Maybe they'll have tags people can use to try and identify which maps are really good, or feel authentic to the games, are challenging without being, say, crazy hard, play music with the sound fx, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There'll be a Nintendo-curated category in addition to what's new, what's hot, etc and I imagine they'll do a good job of featuring interested stages that aren't just kaizo gauntlets.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Honestly, if it weren't for the amiibo costumes only working with SMB1 mode, why would you play anything other than SMW?

I'm gonna play NSMB style and you can't stop me!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I like the NSMB moveset.

My man

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

There'll be a Nintendo-curated category in addition to what's new, what's hot, etc and I imagine they'll do a good job of featuring interested stages that aren't just kaizo gauntlets.

Kaizo gauntlets should be rare in the first place due to the "you must beat your own level to be able to upload it" thing. Doesn't stop an exceptionally skilled player from uploading one, but at that point he's earned the right to do so.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Flint_Paper posted:

I guess I'm just hoping that in amongst all the lolcock levels and the rear end in a top hat Mario levels, there will be some that are just solid examples platform gaming done good.

Zonekeeper posted:

Kaizo gauntlets should be rare in the first place due to the "you must beat your own level to be able to upload it" thing. Doesn't stop an exceptionally skilled player from uploading one, but at that point he's earned the right to do so.

In addition to the organization PaletteSwappedNinja mentioned, Zonekeeper did a good job pointing out above what's most likely to keep an excessive amount of "I assume you have infinite savestates" style levels from being shared. Plus you can follow individual designers, so if you find someone who makes stages in a style you like you can always keep tabs on them.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The question is, can I make cavernous Metroid-type levels?
The question is, where is Super Metroid Maker?

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
When they first revealed this game they showed a switchblock that changed tilesets within the level itself. Are they still doing that? Now that each set has its own physics, that seems like it would be problematic.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if you can still do matrix jumps in Mario 1, 3 and SMW in this.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Moriatti posted:

:siren: boner alert :siren:

I didn't know how much I wanted this until you posted it.

Super Mario Maker still looks totally awesome though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Zelda's 30th anniversary is next year; if this does well, Zelda Maker seems like a shoe-in.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Flint_Paper posted:

I had a really weird moment of worry about this last night.

I'm super excited for it, but I'm worried that the temptation to make supercrazyhard levels will mean that we won't see levels that are just good, if that makes sense? I love weird gimmick levels as much as the next guy, but I'd really, really love to play levels that are good because they're great examples of platforming, rather than just levels that show off what a sadist the creator is. Levels of the calibre of, say, Donut Plains 3 or something (I don't remember if that was a particularly ace level, that's just me pulling a SMW level out of my rear end because they're all lovely. Apart from Tubular. That can go gently caress itself.)

Oh god I'm not even making sense am I?

Yo I hope you like Super Mario Land and really long levels that try to circumvent length restrictions by having s-shaped courses and warp pipes because that's what I'm going to be doing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is gonna own

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Szmitten posted:

Yo I hope you like Super Mario Land and really long levels that try to circumvent length restrictions by having s-shaped courses and warp pipes because that's what I'm going to be doing.

Being able to recreate old levels with like SMW tile sets sounds awesome to me

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wonder if you can utilize those blocks that give you a star if you're invincible, but don't if you're not. That could make for a few interesting levels.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

i have never been more excited for a videogame in the entire 23 year history of playing and enjoying and looking forward to videogames. this is not hyperbole.

who else here is going to try and win one of those limited packs where you have to make your own video?

who else has their younger selves designs all ready to go for release day?

I'm more excited for this than any game because I won't be able to play MGSV until January. I have tons of ideas for levels in all four game types and I can't wait to see everything in the mario maker toolbox.

Here's a short list of things that I picked up from watching all of the E3 footage.

-You can put almost any enemy or item in a question block.
-If you give Lakitu an item or enemy he'll throw those instead of spinies. The same goes for bullet bill cannons.
-Almost every object in the game has an alternate version that you can place by shaking it around on the gamepad.
-Each level is limited to a main level and a sub level, but you can move between the two using pipes. The main and sub level can have a different background but they must use the same game style.
-Auto scrolling stages are in with three different scrolling speeds.
-The time limit can be changed from the default of 500 seconds.
-There's an option to show after images of your last test run of a stage to easily set up platforming challenges.
-Most objects can be placed on a track that they will move along.
-Enemies can be super sized if you give them a mushroom.
-Wings can be attached to almost anything. Get ready for giant winged unchained chomps shot out of bullet bill cannons.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Metroid Maker is pretty much impossible. There would probably be two or three great mazes in the sea of poo poo. Zenda Dungeon Maker, on the other hand...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Metroid Maker is pretty much impossible. There would probably be two or three great mazes in the sea of poo poo. Zenda Dungeon Maker, on the other hand...

Can't wait to save Princess Zenda

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

Ok i was gonna do super mario land but we can cooperate, I'll do super mario land 2

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Ok i was gonna do super mario land but we can cooperate, I'll do super mario land 2

I only want World 1. Although the submarine levels are totally doable if you start with a clown car and fireballs. And autoscroll.

I need a better idea as to how long the max length for a Mario Maker stage is compared to pre-existing levels so I can get an idea if I can squeeze multiple levels into a course. If you sacrificed pipes you could turn SMB 1-1/1-2 into one level.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 19, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zelda's 30th anniversary is next year; if this does well, Zelda Maker seems like a shoe-in.

Is it a shoe-in? There's a lot more mechanics in a Zelda game than there are in a traditional Mario platformer, plus I don't think you'd be able to swap styles in Zelda Maker since the mechanics change a lot more from game to game (compare the original LoZ to OoT, or even LoZ to LttP). I would love to see it done well but the thing that makes Mario Maker work so well is that the basic Mario formula is super-simple.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

C-Euro posted:

Is it a shoe-in? There's a lot more mechanics in a Zelda game than there are in a traditional Mario platformer, plus I don't think you'd be able to swap styles in Zelda Maker since the mechanics change a lot more from game to game (compare the original LoZ to OoT, or even LoZ to LttP). I would love to see it done well but the thing that makes Mario Maker work so well is that the basic Mario formula is super-simple.

I feel like you could probably get a lot of mileage out of a Zelda Maker that was just LttP/Link's Awakening. It's in that sweet spot between complexity and simplicity.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't know if Zelda maker can be a thing see Graal

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Graal is a LttP clone, right?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Overseeing a ton of user-created dialogue in home-made Zelda games would probably be way more trouble than its worth for Nintendo. Plus, dungeons would either be really boring or way too easy to break. 2D platforming just lends itself better to this sort of thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope the Koopalings are in the game so I can make a Level where you have to fight all 7 of them at once.

In one of the Treehouse videos it looked like Lemmy is at least in the game, as he was showed in a Super Mario Bros 1 cave level, with him in a clown car launching trampolines. And I think another video showed Bowser Jr in Super Mario Bros 1 style so I wouldn't be surprised all eight kids are usable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a video with the SMB ghost theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU8Qbs5xrQ

...and here's one with the SMB airship theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ei4fC5o5EM

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh8JP6cwJs

This was in the related videos. Yoshi walking on lava? :confused:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Macaluso posted:

Apparently there are spikes in the lava.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If they release new game-type skins for this game as DLC, I hope they do Super Paper Mario.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Anyone else going to a best buy event tomorrow? I'm probably gonna hit one up that's close to me and give this game a whirl.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh that's very cool! You can go backwards in the smb1 tileset. I thought it would be like original smb1 where only forwards.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh8JP6cwJs

I'm so mad at how long it took this guy to figure out the level's gimmick

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Here's a video with the SMB ghost theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU8Qbs5xrQ

...and here's one with the SMB airship theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ei4fC5o5EM

Did it play the yoshi island goal cleared theme? GOTY

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Everything from SMB2 should be a DLC set - they'd get away with it due to its status as the 'odd one out'. So many oddball mechanics - cherries and resulting invicibility stars, vegetables and resulting stopwatches, throwable enemies, Birdo, Wart, orbs and hawkmasks, the KILLER hawkmask, freaking Subspace...

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 20, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, wearing a mystery mushroom skin changes the sfx.

For those who haven't seen it, Game Center CX did a live event where Arino challenged a bunch of people to play his Mario Maker stages, including Miyamoto. (He also attempts to play SMB with a Mario DDR dance mat.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9I5rH_yqo

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Oh, just realized, I hope 100-Mario Challenge lets the user select the initial difficulty and escalated from there, like how Time Cukf and Super Meat Boy do it. Enter the Mariunknown!

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I better be able to get this music from Super Mario World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7bvnjQMgq4

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
i am so loving excited for this holy poo poo.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PirateNipple posted:

I better be able to get this music from Super Mario World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7bvnjQMgq4

The six tilesets that were shown at E3 were standard, underground, underwater, ghost house, airship, and castle. It appears that the athletic tileset is included in standard.

We haven't seen any evidence that backgrounds or music themes are editable within tilesets yet. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played this at E3 and had a blast. All the tile sets weren't in (as you could probably see fro, the TreeHouses) but it sounded like you would be able to have capes and poo poo in SMB3 for example, based on what was said to me. Either way, kinda want to buy a Wii U just for this

E: oh yeah someone asked a bunch of good questions in the main E3 thread and so I asked the Nintendo people what wasn't already answered and they hinted that you'd be able to download a whole series of levels/worlds, not just single maps at a time. In case that hadn't been answered yet.

• Locked thread