Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Flint_Paper posted:

I had a really weird moment of worry about this last night.

I'm super excited for it, but I'm worried that the temptation to make supercrazyhard levels will mean that we won't see levels that are just good, if that makes sense? I love weird gimmick levels as much as the next guy, but I'd really, really love to play levels that are good because they're great examples of platforming, rather than just levels that show off what a sadist the creator is. Levels of the calibre of, say, Donut Plains 3 or something (I don't remember if that was a particularly ace level, that's just me pulling a SMW level out of my rear end because they're all lovely. Apart from Tubular. That can go gently caress itself.)

Oh god I'm not even making sense am I?

I guess I'm just hoping that in amongst all the lolcock levels and the rear end in a top hat Mario levels, there will be some that are just solid examples platform gaming done good.

Maybe they'll have tags people can use to try and identify which maps are really good, or feel authentic to the games, are challenging without being, say, crazy hard, play music with the sound fx, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine the time lock on stuff like Mario 3 or Mario World items. You'll be waiting until Day 14...

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Back in MY day you had to get the Super Mushroom before the Fire Flower, if you tried to be funny and take a hit before you grabbed the flower it'd just turn you big like the mushroom would.

Honestly though I think it will be fun to see what some talented designers can do with the basics.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Can you walljump like you could in the original super mario bros, is the important thing

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I doubt it's something most people know about, I wouldn't have known it existed if not for a YouTube of one of those Kaizo level stages where they force you to use it.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Frog Suit Mario would lead to some hilarious shenanigans, they'd use it as a trap powerup where if you grab it, you flounder with your decreased mobility and die.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
No stages with Big Bertha constantly threatening to eat big mario while water level rises and falls with vertical auto-scrolling and hammer bros suit/all smb3 variants, poo poo game 0/10 gg nintendo

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I should replay commander keen 1 sometime and see if I can't replicate some of those levels in mario.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm kind of itching to bust out the game boy micro and play some mario 3. drat.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The Temple of La-Mulana

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Nintendo is going to have to filter any stage with 9/11, towers, or terrorist in the stage name for like a month.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to see if I can design a fun stage within the confines of the limitations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Duck Hunt not having special dialogue is kind of a missed opportunity, the least they could do is have Toad go 'hey neighbor' since every other super mario bros cart also had duck hunt with it

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they're going to have to have tutorials for those people who have never played mario 3 or mario world or nsmb before and don't know how to use the flight mechanics. All four of those people.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Super Mario Maker: Finally, A Good Sonic Game

Now you're making me think of that old debug code in Sonic 1 where you could fly around putting items and enemies all over the stage and how appropriate it is to this game.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It's a joke where everyone's level is going to be a recreation of a mario stage that already exists

e: VVV oh whoa, awesome!

nftyw fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 9, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Infinte loops are great fun. Ask any Lost Levels player!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thankfully those levels will get a shitton of downvotes for being poo poo, it will be a litmus test to see if their filters are able to properly detect a storm of fake upvotes.

• Locked thread