Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There'll be a Nintendo-curated category in addition to what's new, what's hot, etc and I imagine they'll do a good job of featuring interested stages that aren't just kaizo gauntlets.

Kaizo gauntlets should be rare in the first place due to the "you must beat your own level to be able to upload it" thing. Doesn't stop an exceptionally skilled player from uploading one, but at that point he's earned the right to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can't lock the camera from scrolling to the left in SMB stages, that's one.

Honestly? I don't think that's a very big omission. It would be too easy to make "traps" by making an open box that becomes inescapable when you scroll too far. Didn't pick the correct path? Have fun waiting out the timer before you can try again!

That part always felt like a limitation of SMB1's engine to me anyway.

Speaking of picking the right path, I wonder if we'll be able to make those looping mazes that appeared in some of the castles.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Bee posted:

Levels that can't be completed can't be uploaded. You have to beat it yourself first.

Hide a secret feather kn an otherwise unnoteworthy location and now we're talking.

I think he meant more along the lines of a trap that forces the player to wait out the clock by picking a wrong pipe or door, for example. The level's still beatable, but the creator trolls the player by giving them no way to die quickly if they gently caress up and take that door.

The main difference, I think, is that the inescapable box/path has a chance to be made accidentally in an otherwise normal level if left scrolling is turned off, while the pit 'o slow death has to be a conscious decision no matter what engine you make it in.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I had no idea winged Spinys could do that. I foresee lots of bullet hell levels.

Never thought I'd type that about this game, but I'm stoked the engine is robust enough that you can do something like that.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want a Japanese Maro 2 pallete with the weird ugly ground sprites.

I'm actually shocked its not already in the game. They'll probably put out DLC with that palette along with poison mushrooms and gusts of wind.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Minidust posted:

See I feel the exact opposite. It's awesome that this game offers a ton of new assets and "rules" like shell hats. I find that more fun than sticking to a 1:1 representation of a specific game. It almost turns this into a pseudo SMB 5.

If they focused purely on a tool that could recreate a game exactly, I can guarantee we'd only get it for the NSMB (least effort for Nintendo) or SMB1 styles. I vastly prefer this middle ground that has gotten SMB3 and SMW on the table.

Agreed. While I hope things like slopes and more enemies/obstacles get added in later patches, the launch game should be amazing.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEoCJUJLBHY

Here's the "Touch Fuzzy, get dizzy" effect in action. Don't do shrooms, kids.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

In anticipation of this game, I've started playing through New Super Mario Bros U, which I got as a pack-in with my Wii U but never really played.

It's the perfect way to get hyped for Super Mario Maker, because it has the constant feeling of "I could make way better levels than this."

How far are you? Because that game is a lot like 3D World in that it takes the kid gloves off a few worlds in and starts throwing the good poo poo at you.

One of the biggest shames about that game is that people constantly write it off because it looks like the other NSMB games and has a bunch of easy levels at the beginning.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

I think it's more a result of them having to split the difference between single player and multiplayer. 3D World did a lot better in terms of designing levels that accommodated multiple people while not feeling sparse when you're alone.

I can see what you mean. The level design assumes the presence of up to 4 players, so the screen area kind of has to be used inefficiently to support that. Unlike 3D world, the designers only had 2 dimensions to work in, so it stands out a lot more.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

netcat posted:

People tend to go overboard with tossing a billion enemies all over and forgetting actual platforming challenges. Actual Mario games are pretty sparse on enemies in most cases I think

Every one playing this game should watch one of the many videos out there where Miyamoto/other designers talk about why they made certain design decisions. Everything in the originals is done very deliberately, especially in the early levels where they introduce you to a game's new mechanics.

This is a great one on 1-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGRJRUWafY

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Miyamoto doodles and original level design graph paper :swoon:

Gonna treasure this thing forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Minidust posted:

I've read several references to a phone number you can call to get a physical copy of the art book, if you buy the game digitally. Is that supposed to last for a while or is it only for digital pre-load/pre-orders? If it's the latter I guess I'm buying this ahead of my original schedule.

I've read at least one report that the booklet offer for digital purchases was more popular than anticipated and they're out of stock, so you might be waiting a bit for it.

• Locked thread