Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not even sure if my Wii U works but I'm going out to pre-order this game today :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Considering you can share levels with a 12-digit code, we can have a little goonmunity of level sharing here so we can play and give stars to each others' work :neckbeard:

I've been laying awake for hours with level ideas buzzing around my brain for the last few nights. Ughhhhh I need this game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sade posted:

I'd think all we'd have to do is follow each other ingame, right? Of course you'll have to post the code in here for goons who aren't following you.

Also do like I did and get a graph notebook and start jotting down sketches of your levels!!!

Holy poo poo I may do that...

This is gonna be like 3rd grade when I drew Donkey Kong Country levels in the back of my school notebooks.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't really see that or tell what it's meant to be. Maybe make the image bigger?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's cool. How would we get screenshots up?

Categories would be cool, like
"Normal platforming"
"Interesting layouts"
"Kaizo bullshit"
"Rube Goldberg as gently caress"
"Gimmick where you don't press any buttons and the level plays itself"
etc

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to make a level where you can just go straight for the exit if you want, with very little challenge, but there are 10 hidden "bonus rooms" or something, and the challenge is to find them all. The level's title would say something like "Find all 10 secrets!" so people know to explore.

Maybe one's through a pipe at the top of the level and you need to get a racoon tail to fly up there, while another might be through a door behind bricks you need to break with a hard-to-find shell. Each bonus room would just be on a sub-screen with some coins spelling out the number of the room it is. That's the whole challenge: find them all if you want, for the simple reward of knowing you did it. Or just go for the flag.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 9, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What's with all the 4-digit codes?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

found it on reddit

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ColdPie posted:

Okay kids, I have a website for you. I present to you, Goons Make Mario, a level sharing database for SA forum members.

It's still got some rough edges, but everything (except password reset) should work. I'll touch it up tomorrow.

No searching or categories yet, but you can rate levels and sort by either rating or upload date.

Give it a test and don't be a jerk! Thanks! Enjoy!

I registered, thanks! Can't wait to submit stuff :D

edit: Could you add a comments system? Also voting in the main list without having to go into each level's page.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 10, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Someone should program a level idea engine: a random generator thing where it gives you...
a) a game style
b) a level style
c) an enemy to focus on
d) some level element to focus on (eg: cannons, moving platforms, whatever)
e) an optional gimmick from a list of many, like "really long jumps" or "scrolls really fast" or "no powerups", etc

And maybe more enemies and elements? Like before you click "Generate me a level idea!", you first choose how many different enemies you want (1-5 or so), how many elements, etc.

Then it generates an idea and you go build a level based on that.

For added challenge: a generator that gives you 5-10 random parts and you can ONLY use those to build a whole level.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Someone on Reddit made an "ideas for DLC" graphic:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Melmac posted:

1: it seems like you can switch through all the Mario games easily. Meaning that if I create a stage it doesn't have to be in Super Mario 1, 3, World, NSMB because I can just create it in any of them and switch between them. Is this correct? If so, what happens with something like Yoshi? Does he actually show up in Super Mario Bros. 1?

Items and game mechanics change between game styles. For example, you can wall-jump in NSMB mode but not in the others. So if you make a level in NSMB that relies on walljumping to solve it, then change the style at the last moment, your level will be broken.

Some items are the same across all four styles, whereas some change. If you place a Yoshi, he'll turn into a Goomba Shoe in SMB1 and SMB3 modes. The Mystery Mushroom in SMB1 becomes the Feather(Leaf?), Cape, or Propellor Cap respectively in the other styles.

Enemies might be different between styles too. Bowser has completely different attacks depending on what game style your level is.

Not sure about the Amiibo stuff.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why are there two threads going still? Someone close this thread.

• Locked thread