Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PirateNipple posted:

I better be able to get this music from Super Mario World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7bvnjQMgq4

The six tilesets that were shown at E3 were standard, underground, underwater, ghost house, airship, and castle. It appears that the athletic tileset is included in standard.

We haven't seen any evidence that backgrounds or music themes are editable within tilesets yet. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm already sketching out level designs. This game needs to come out now.

This is the only reason I'm upset that they're time gating content.

My World 1 requires features unlocked on day 7.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm hearing the physics for all the games are actually just Mario 1's with minor tweaks to them? That dampens a ton of my excitement if true :(.

There's a few .gifs floating around showing Mario World you can't really go back in midair anymore and whatnot.

The gifs are wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSujEFY6NWg&t=9m

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

blablablabla posted:

Heres the unlock schedule

http://www.ign.com/wikis/super-mario-maker/Tool_Palette?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll#Palette_Timed_Unlocks

Day 1: Day of the springboard nightmare levels

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

One of the 'effects' is touch fuzzy get dizzy, but it doesn't actually change gameplay just appearance.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

They have to let you turn of the clock right!? Come on!

I don't recall whether anyone said you could turn the clock off, but we know you can increase the clock beyond 500 (presumably to 999).
The majority of levels I've seen are set to the default 500 so apparently the clock is in 'one weird menu setting location, Nintendo doesn't want you to know!'

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FPzero posted:

In general, 500 seconds is plenty of time for the average size of level that we'll be seeing from most people. If your level requires more than that you're probably making a level with exploration like that guy did. Most people aren't going to do that.

It would suck to go into 10 mario challenge and roll a level like that frankly.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Has anyone posted an available Super Mario Maker "bestiary" or known exclusions? I can only imagine that those little yellow smiley ramps from SMW are likely out, and I'm pretty sure keys from SMW are also out.

This video shows all the tile types that exist in all four game themes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffnJoWmkgls

Edit: All the tile types and their shake transforms but not their wing transforms or mushroom transforms.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is the book thingie part of the normal physical preorder or is there some special edition I'm not seeing?

It should be part of the normal order. It's the reason it comes in a little box rather than just a CD case.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Why does everyone keep saying there's no Podoboos?

Someone posted a list of things they want added to the game and included podoboos, then the error propagated.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mario Maker is secretly judging you, even when you think it's not looking. If you continue to meet its' exacting standards perhaps someday it will deign to grant you its' most secret unlockable, the coveted slopes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

GI_Clutch posted:

What kind of levels is everyone planning on making?

I have designs on 8 different worlds for the SMB3 theme. You can't actually upload that many levels so maybe I'll trick ask other goons to make some too.

I'm also going to run a weekly 'contest'* to make levels with a certain gimmick.

*Except most contests involve judging and awards, whereas this contest is mainly just an excuse for a bunch of goons to make similar levels at the same time and then compare notes.

blablablabla posted:

Goina buy at least 3 and world. Playing the lovely 3 min masterpiece versions (super smash bros u) remind how bad I am/was at mario.

I bought lost levels and 3 this year to brush up for this game. This was Nintendo's real plan all along.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

MTV Crib Death posted:

In preparation for Maker Maker, I dove into the dragon's mouth.

Lost Levels. No continues. No Warps. No infinite lives trick. All Luigi.

Congratulations. You are a super player.

I found Luigi to be easier than Mario because there are a number of jumps designed to be hard for Mario. Except for the castle where you constantly hit your head on the ceiling.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

You'd better believe I'm going to make a level titled '6 Total Bowsers'

GI_Clutch posted:

Up to 100 total: enemies (Lakitu counts as two), POW blocks, P-switches, Yoshi eggs, clown cars, one-way doors, skull platforms, firebars, buzz saws, moving platforms. Wings appear to count toward this limit.

I think the wings only count if you attach them to something other than an enemy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sade posted:

Hey, is anybody else planning on doing a SA-centric mario design contest?

Yes, I am. I posted a bit about it earlier. It's similar enough to your idea that if you want to PM me requests I can probably incorporate them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

The dead will rise to play Mario levels so don't worry.

But if this happens you can only make ghost themed levels.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I was just going to post about that video. Some of the costumes are really off the wall. I was definitely not expecting Nikki from swapnote.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Holy poo poo, is that last one Chie from Persona 4?

It is in my heart.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is someone gonna :justpost: a release thread next week?

Macaluso posted:

Playtonic Games SMM stream happening right now: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

They seem to having someone actually competent playing right now

edit: They're also talking about how they designed the levels which is really cool. And how they teach the player how the stage works as you play it

This is a proclick.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Little Mac posted:

We should have a Google doc or form or something where people can submit their level codes.

I made a sheet for this. I'll post it up on Wednesday.

I might start a new thread too.

Edit:

blablablabla posted:

Took Friday off to play super mario maker all day commemorate all those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks

Wii forgot.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

this is the sort of obsessive documentation that gamexplain thrives on so im sure we'll see that come release day

My favorite part of their coverage is how terrified Andre is of breaking embargo.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Any suggestions for the release thread title?

My current idea is "Super Mario Maker: Anyone can make a level no one can beat"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Super Mario Maker: Finally, A Good Sonic Game

:perfect:

Rocketlex posted:

I don't care what the new thread title is as long as it has the tag.

Obviously.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think it'd be cool if the OP for this game could keep an running list of goon creators so anyone who wants to take a real swing at it can get at least some exposure here

I made a google form like in the Splatoon thread.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ColdPie posted:

Yeah, something like that. I just started it tonight, so we'll see what I can get put together in the next few days.

If you have some technical chops (know what a URL is and are familiar with the Wii U's online features/miiverse), throw me an email at coldpies@gmail.com and I might ask for your help. I don't even own a Wii U yet.

Can you scrape the game database directly? I have no idea how you would do that.

But if you can it'll be much better than just using a google form. I'll PM you the shares anyway, in case you want to query the sheet instead of creating your own frontend input.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

I think you can put those in in-game and pull up full levels from those samples.

They showed the chain chomp one on page 15 in several of the recent Miyamoto/Tezuka interviews, so this is definitely the case.

Where do each of the Mario games fit on the Legend of Zelda timeline?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Eonwe posted:

i want someone else to do the work for me

tia

Super Mario Watcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I put the release thread up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741073

• Locked thread