Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like the idea. Force me to mess with the basics enough to not suck as bad with levels, and then I get more cool stuff to build from. And it looks like you'll have everything in less than two weeks time anyway.

9/11 can't come soon enough (I know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I have to wait over a week to make my Kaizo Mario 64 level what bullshit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As someone who only has four minutes a day to play video games, this news greatly upsets me.

AfroLine posted:

what if i were to come up to you and you wanted to play this one game cost 60 dollars and everything yeah but the catch was you couldn't play it to its fullest till a week and a half lafter but still give me all your money.

I'd buy it anyway because as long as it's playable to start with who cares if it takes a couple weeks to get everything, like pretty much every other game out there.

Hell, look at loving Splatoon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Why does everyone keep saying there's no Podoboos?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm going to make a puzzle stage and then make Goatse out of invisible blocks so people who open the level to get the solution also get Goatse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I want to make a level that's just a giant enemy zoo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Little Mac posted:

A giant enemy zoo or a GIANT enemy zoo?

A giant giant enemy zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Countblanc posted:

most of the levels I've seen videos of seem to rely on having a lot of enemies/projectiles to dodge on the screen for challenge rather than platforming itself with a handful of enemies used to limit movement options. I replayed SMB3 this last week in preparation for SMM and it definitely seemed more like the latter than the former. Hopefully some people take a note from that because it was really cool to see again.

First level I plan to do is an autoscroll cheetah-speed dash through basic platforms with no enemies. You'll only make the jump if you jump at the last second, but there won't be pits so you can still (theoretically) recover if you gently caress up. Try to give the player a sense of speed and accomplishment without making it too frustrating. Best part is I can do this Day 1.

Any place with great general level creating advice would be wonderful. I love the "introduce your level gimmick gradually so the player can learn and understand it before throwing them into the hard stuff" advice I saw earlier.

• Locked thread