Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I just wanna know if I can have a Yoshi riding a Yoshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The implications of this level alone boggle my mind with how much is possible in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KVgtwdd0IM

If you put a Boo in a Clown Car, it has unique AI for how it drives it!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If they release new game-type skins for this game as DLC, I hope they do Super Paper Mario.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Spectral Werewolf posted:

So what are they doing to combat dick shaped things in uploaded levels, does it still go through moderator approval or is there a report system?

Sounds like a little of column A and a little of column B. Users will be pushed towards a curated list of the best content to keep the less-desirable content off the surface, though there will likely be a report system if you descend into Dickville of your own free will.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Maybe SEGA has some rule that he can only be depicted as 16-bit Sonic if he's ever referenced in sprite form?

Which would be an odd rule considering how they flooded the Virtual Console shop with all those 8-bit Sonic games back in the Wii days.

He should turn into his sprite from Sonic Triple Trouble.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Kelp Plankton posted:

this is the sort of obsessive documentation that gamexplain thrives on so im sure we'll see that come release day

Look, I need to see every Amiibo costume's swimming animation before I know if this product is for me.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
In anticipation of this game, I've started playing through New Super Mario Bros U, which I got as a pack-in with my Wii U but never really played.

It's the perfect way to get hyped for Super Mario Maker, because it has the constant feeling of "I could make way better levels than this."

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zonekeeper posted:

How far are you? Because that game is a lot like 3D World in that it takes the kid gloves off a few worlds in and starts throwing the good poo poo at you.

One of the biggest shames about that game is that people constantly write it off because it looks like the other NSMB games and has a bunch of easy levels at the beginning.

I'm in the Islands/Snow worlds. The difficulty is fine, but there's a haphazard quality to the level design. Secret areas that contain nothing but a handful of coins, difficulty by way of enemy volume rather than enemy placement, repetition of level elements without sufficient variation to keep things interesting, etc. When it's good it's good but when it's bad it's really a chore.

I think it's more a result of them having to split the difference between single player and multiplayer. 3D World did a lot better in terms of designing levels that accommodated multiple people while not feeling sparse when you're alone.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

nftyw posted:

I wonder if they're going to have to have tutorials for those people who have never played mario 3 or mario world or nsmb before and don't know how to use the flight mechanics. All four of those people.

Like every Nintendo game on the WiiU, there's a digital manual, and it looks like this one is going to be a bit more robust than most. I'm going to guess it includes a mechanical summary of each game-type for those who haven't played.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I don't care what the new thread title is as long as it has the tag.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

J-Spot posted:

Getting enough people to play your levels is the hardest part about editors that do this. The last level editor I really got into was Modnation Racers and I had to kind of market the levels to get them played. I hope they're good about slipping stages with very few plays into the 100 Mario mode.

That could very well be the reason so many unlocks are hidden behind it. Make people mainline as many user levels as possible to ensure everyone's levels get played.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Hedrigall posted:

That's cool. How would we get screenshots up?

Categories would be cool, like
"Normal platforming"
"Interesting layouts"
"Kaizo bullshit"
"Rube Goldberg as gently caress"
"Gimmick where you don't press any buttons and the level plays itself"
etc

"Environmental Storytelling"

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
You can use Miiverse to leave messages in your levels in a roundabout way, but I'd rather they make it official and add the Hint Block from Super Mario World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hope America gets Captain N instead.

I agree, but it'll probably be Nestor.

• Locked thread