Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I'm kinda sad that the fly swatter minigame didn't retain the fly death sound (i.e. 'zzzit'). But the opportunity to make/play a whole bunch of new Mario levels makes up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If they don't add DLC to be able to ride Yoshi in SMBs 1 & 3 I'm going to suicide bomb an elementary school

:stare:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Has anyone posted an available Super Mario Maker "bestiary" or known exclusions? I can only imagine that those little yellow smiley ramps from SMW are likely out, and I'm pretty sure keys from SMW are also out.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

They didn't forget they existed. They just made people pay through the teeth for what was essentially a single rom on a Wii disc.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

zfleeman posted:

There's a lot to unpack, here. I dunno, w.r.t. limitations, it all kind of clicked with me when somebody brought up how it wouldn't actually be fun if Mega Man could shoot up. Made me think of how boring Half-Life was when I put noclip on. Designing/playing around a limitation does make a more cohesive end product imo.

Counterpoint: Mega Man 2's Metal Blades being most folks' first pickup when they play through that particular game, for the very purpose of being able to fire in any direction, especially up.

For my part, I'm actually pretty okay with the omissions in the toolset so far. For what it's worth, the only romhack Mario game I've ever played to "completion" is Super Mario Bros 3Mix and it is for this reason that I'm actually curious to see what people do with the limitations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Two things I thought of with this video:

1) Not being able to decide what X-monster throws out of the Clown Car or out of a Lakitu is kinda sad. Or did they just not show that off? I feel like Bowser Jr would be way more dickish if he threw out spinning Spinys. (which, yeah, I know, spinys only become spinys once they hit the ground, but c'mon)

2) Having a SMB3 Bowser gate an area by requiring him to smash the floor would be pretty good, but is there a mechanism to respawn a Bowser if he's been killed? Like, have him come out of a pipe like goombas used to in 1-2 for the 1up trick? I guess there's no good onscreen GUI for being able to limit how many of what monster comes out of the gate, so maybe not, but that'd be pretty sweet otherwise.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

MTV Crib Death posted:

In preparation for Maker Maker, I dove into the dragon's mouth.

Lost Levels. No continues. No Warps. No infinite lives trick. All Luigi.

And for your next trick, beat Vs. Super Mario Bros. on a single credit.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Defaults, because operators don't caaaaaaaaare.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

J-Spot posted:

even though it does keep score for some reason.

I'm pretty sure score is just legacy. Otherwise, how would we instinctively know that, after nine successful topple-hops, we get a 1-Up (which has been Mario's real currency since 1990)?

Other than Vs Super Mario Bros, has any other mainline Super Mario Bros title had any sort of leaderboard?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Also, while this is probably the :retrogames: in me: I really want Nintendo to release some of the VS arcade series on the Virtual Console, specifically VS Super Mario Bros because it's one of the hardest Mario things to come by (legally) this side of smb2j.

On point to the thread, though: having Spike from Wrecking Crew show up as a skin is pretty awesome, but where's Professor Hector or Vector (preferably sleepwalking, but beggars != choosers)? Missed opportunity for R.O.B. throwbacks, Nintendo. Last time those sprites got used was Tetris DS and, as awesome as that game was, :cmon:.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Did that actually have original levels or was it just slightly remixed versions of smb1 with lost levels thrown in make sure you didn't play on a single quarter for long?

Slightly remixed and recompiled, also with drop shadow on text and adjustable coins-to-1UP dip switch. However, completely unique scoreboard music not used elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

I just hope Shulk speaks British like he's supposed to in the Western release. How else will I know his level of feeling it?

All previews thus far have the Japanese voice only.

It's Reyn time, anyway.

• Locked thread